• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Most of the recommended games so far are excellent. Seems to be more of a problem with the individual. Sometimes people don't like something, even if it's well made.

Sounds like you just can't accept people have different tastes.

It's probably a more linear gaming experience than Pong. Awesome game if you like exploring empty walls.
:-\ waw, I think you are wrong my friend.

I repeat Minecraft and add Terraria. Tought I would enjoy both, but I was assuming they had at best, single player adventure, or at least a co-op campaign I could play with friend and fam. I did not do enough research before buying, I realized I did not have they attention span to make these purchases worthwhile. :(

7threst

your favourite game sucks thread #3344345

all games I bought following GAF's recommendation were good in some way. No exceptions.

Yeah this. These threads are threads for people to shit on games like Demon's Souls and Bayonetta in a way that make 'em think they look kind of clever or something. But they don't, because everybody knows Demon's Souls and Bayonetta are some of the greatest and most rewarding games this gen. Gamers might think they don't like it, but they probably just didn't even try to understand why these games are considered great.

Epcott

THEWY

GAF Said
Best RPG ever for the handheld, no of 2008, no of SE's recent efforts. Can't wait for the sequel.

I Said
I tried, and tried, and tried, but couldn't get into it. Not a game you should play and then take a break for a week or more. Also, at a certain point, they throw so much at you, it caves in under its own weight (various badge nuances, purchasing clothes and trend system, so on).

Dark Souls

GAF Said
You better like it, or we'll mock your gamer cred.

I Said
This is my "Ok, I'll try it again after this next game I finish. Wait, how about after I finish the next one after that... wait, how about by this Summer" game. I never traded it in and still own it, so there's still hope that I'll play it. But I think the savage beat downs (and the fact that my HDD and saves were erased during YLOD) put me off from playing it again. I think, if you absolutely love a game, you'd would still play it, instead of making up reasons not to. The point is, this is a game for a masochistic.

Riposte

People should be more careful with recommendations obviously. Not only should you consider where the recommendation is coming from and why the recommendation is being made (e.g. if someone says story is the most important thing to them and they dislike notably great action games, then I'm not going to even consider them an avenue of advice), but you should use that to only fuel further investigation. It seems to me very short-sighted to buy something because a few people on the internet once said it was good.

EDIT: Probably most silly when people end up getting a game they find too hard (or "masochistic" lol). As if that isn't something you shouldn't figure out first if you are generally not that good at games.

Mzo

Or you're just someone who can't accept people have different tastes.

That's what I just said. It's up to the individual.

Not liking a game doesn't make that game technically worse, it just means you personally didn't like that game due to whatever factor. I know people who don't like Super Mario World, but the game is quantifiably competently made.

sphinx

the piano man
after looking at my collection, it had to be Dead Space.

GAF more or less said "it's everything resident evil 5 would have wanted to be, and the scares brought chills through my spine".

which is absolutely laughable, it's another fucking random shooter with cheap scares and a poor love letter to metroid prime, which actually did scare me a couple of times.

other than that... mmmh.. Vanquish I guess, but I think that's a good game that I just didn't like.

Acheteedo

Expected a lot from Witcher 2 after the GAF reaction to the game. It's a fine game, and there are aspects of it that are great, but it feels like a a chore to choose to play the game. I'll still power though, but it's not the heavyweight GOTY contender I was hoping for.

Yeah this. These threads are threads for people to shit on games like Demon's Souls and Bayonetta in a way that make 'em think they look kind of clever or something. But they don't, because everybody knows Demon's Souls and Bayonetta are some of the greatest and most rewarding games this gen. Gamers might think they don't like it, but they probably just didn't even try to understand why these games are considered great.

Wow, can't believe there are people who actually think this.

...that's exactly what he just said, though.

"Seems to be more of a problem with the individual"?

Doesn't sound like someone who accepts other's opinions. No, instead it's a 'problem', not just different taste.

sphinx

the piano man
Lmao did GAF actually talk that one up?

some gamers were a bit overhyped back when the 360 launched, I saw people that were dead serious saying Kameo was several leagues better than Twilight Princess.. I guess fanboys have to fight with whatever they have or something...

Anteater

"Seems to be more of a problem with the individual"?

Doesn't sound like someone who accepts other's opinions. No, instead it's a 'problem', not just different taste.

What? He says the problem isn't the game but the individual's taste, he didn't mean to use word "problem" negatively.

JoeBoy101

Dark Souls

GAF Said
You better like it, or we'll mock your gamer cred.

I Said
This is my "Ok, I'll try it again after this next game I finish. Wait, how about after I finish the next one after that... wait, how about by this Summer" game. I never traded it in and still own it, so there's still hope that I'll play it. But I think the savage beat downs (and the fact that my HDD and saves were erased during YLOD) put me off from playing it again. I think, if you absolutely love a game, you'd would still play it, instead of making up reasons not to. The point is, this is a game for a masochistic.

+1

Just because a game doesn't lead you along by the hand doesn't mean it has to treat you like an asshole either. One extreme is not inherently better than the other, I'd prefer something in the middle.

Ghost Trick

GAF made it sound like it had all the ingredients I love in an ADV game. Great dialogue, interesting characters, interesting plot twists, great ending and good puzzle solving gameplay. Got none of that: instead generic dialogue, bland characters, wacky plot twists and an ending that made me feel horribly cheated. Puzzle solving was decent at times but too much trial and error involved. Not that it's a bad game, it just didn't click with me.

That's what I just said. It's up to the individual.

Not liking a game doesn't make that game technically worse, it just means you personally didn't like that game due to whatever factor. I know people who don't like Super Mario World, but the game is quantifiably competently made.

Oh ok. When you said "problem" it just sounded like the games were great no matter what, and people just have a problem if they don't like it.

Anyway, I will agree the games are definitely well made, but nothing clicked with me about them like with others.

7threst

Wow, can't believe there are people who actually think this.

I just mean that there is a difference between understanding why a game is considered a great game, and liking a game. For example, I can understand why people think Skyrim is a great game, but I really dislike it. It's just a taste-thing. Doesn't mean that Skyrim is a shitty game, it just mean that it isn't for me.

Coxy

also inb4 nier-hate, those people can also get out

haha sorry, I WANTED to like it, I really did, and I gave it the fairest of shakes, played it til I platinumed it, but it was a massive disappointment to me, felt like a huge step backwards from Drakengard 2 in terms of gameplay, going from 4 playable characters with strengths and weaknesses vs different enemies to just one was a letdown, there's only 3 types of weapons instead of 8, only one combo ever compared to 4 different ones per weapon, you only ever have the same few spells, when d2 had a different spell on every weapon, with REAL TIME WEAPON CHANGE we could have been making our own selections of spells by equipping 8 weapons. I think even the most steadfast fans of Nier agree that Kaine and Emil should have been playable at least

Well at least you get it.

The whole point of this thread is to celebrate differences of opinion and daring to not be swept along with the whole GAF "OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER" hype machine that gears up on a seemingly weekly basis.

I don't see how people can see it as "shitting" on a game when it's all personal opinions based on personal experiences.

How is it not a problem if it's causing you to not enjoy a game? No one likes hating a game, at least they shouldn't.

The way the thread title and first post especially are worded make it seem like the games listed are supposed to be actually bad and the people who love them are fools buying into hype. It's possible to criticize a game and explain why it's overrated without basically shitting on the game, which is exactly what the first post did.

I dunno, this thread seems like it should have been the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread or something.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The Last Remnant

GAF said: This game has an amazingly deep and engrossing battle system! You will be sucked!

I said: What the fuck am I doing why are they doing that why do enemies keep coming why are textures not loading aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I just mean that there is a difference between understanding why a game is considered a great game, and liking a game. For example, I can understand why people think Skyrim is a great game, but I really dislike it. It's just a taste-thing. Doesn't mean that Skyrim is a shitty game, it just mean that it isn't for me.

Sure, no argument there.

Harpuia

scribblenauts was bar none the worst, most boring game ever. It doesn't even work like intended. All the levels boiled down to using the wings and a gun. Oh its not my lack of imagination, its that its unecessarily complicated to actually finish the damn levels. I've never regretted a purchase but this game was the first.

SparkTR

I didn't care much for Halo 3 despite being a fan of the original, but I can't blame that on GAF as it was mostly nostalgia driven.

More recently probably Trials Evo. It is a good game, but I felt that if you're not one of those perfectionist/competitive types then it has limited gameplay value. I spent an hour on a particularly difficult map, and when I did finish it satisfactorily that sense of accomplishment I was promised never came, just regret over the wasted time. I liked the editor however, it's fun to mess around with people's experiments and create some of my own occasionally, but even that has limited appeal to me. I spent $25 for the closest amount of MS to pay for this, and I regret it immensely despite GAF telling me it'll be worth.

ArjanN

Meh, sure it ultimately comes down to personal taste, but just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it's a bad game. I'll probably never give a shit about an american football game, but I can still recognize a game like Madden can be well made.

You need to apply some common sense to recommendations as well, if someone says game x is the best jRPG ever but you hate jRPGs you probably won't like it. IMO nowadays the internet has made it incredibly easy to get an idea if you'll like a game or not with a million previews/reviews/user impressions/youtube walkthroughs on day 1 of a games' release.

This seems more of a "stop liking what I don't like" thread.

Banjo: nuts and bolts

Gaf said: Amazing timeless gameplay

Reality: boring and understandable why Rare is asked to do Kinect games instead. At least they are contributing to the bottom line for once.

Killzone 2

Sony Gaf said: Gif spam and game changer

Reality: The worst game I've actually played through from start to finish, this generation.

Eccocid

Gaf said:

BAYONETTA OMG OMG BESTEST GAME EVER!

I say;

Worst pacing in an action game. I wish game let me fight more than 15 secs. Those boring empty areas and stupid cutscenes in every 5 secs or stupid camera animations showing puzzles etc.

ArjanN

The Last Remnant

GAF said: This game has an amazingly deep and engrossing battle system! You will be sucked!

I said: What the fuck am I doing why are they doing that why do enemies keep coming why are textures not loading aAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Console version of the Last Remnant sucked though, that didn't help.

Dead Man

Nier is the only one I can think of where it was purely GAFhype that led to the purchase and subsequent sadness.

Anteater

Gaf said:

BAYONETTA OMG OMG BESTEST GAME EVER!

I say;

Worst pacing in an action game. I wish game let me fight more than 15 secs. Those boring empty areas and stupid cutscenes in every 5 secs or stupid camera animations showing puzzles etc.

Play it on hard if you could get through the terrible pacing on normal, and skip all cutscenes, a lot more enjoyable than enemies dying from a few hits, I too agree that it wasn't properly balanced, it's like a trial run.

Play it on hard if you could get through the terrible pacing on normal, and skip all cutscenes, a lot more enjoyable than enemies dying from a few hits, I too agree that it wasn't properly balanced, it's like a trial run.

In the same way you could burn through Double Dragon 2 on the Amiga by just performing the flying kick move on auto-fire, you could beat most of what the game threw at you by just running over and button mashing to pull of some obscure combo. Really struggling to see what the "this changes everything" gameplay consisted of.

Anteater

In the same way you could burn through Double Dragon 2 on the Amiga by just performing the flying kick move on auto-fire, you could beat most of what the game threw at you by just running over and button mashing to pull of some obscure combo. Really struggling to see what the "this changes everything" gameplay consisted of.

That could be said for a lot of action games though, if you want to choose a boring way to play it, it takes longer to mash basic combos than properly timing your combos so you could end with a wicked weave and speeding up a fight, you could adjust accordingly on what works for you and what makes the game fun, since it's not trying to force the player into doing things methodically, the enemy AIs on higher difficulty are pretty capable, unless you think they're still incredibly easy to beat.

For me, this would be 'Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky'. A game that seemed to excell at nothing but being uninteresting and slow. Though to be fair, I was warned that it was a slow burn. After hours of trying to drudge through, I just couldn't be bothered anymore and got rid of it.

Nope, generally for me GAF Hype has been good. I loved Bayonetta, Vanquish, NieR, Just Cause 2...I still read a lot about games in the general media, so my main disappointments would be because of generally-accepted-as-good games.

I'd have a reverse-hype GAF moment though, with RE4, as I played it before reading anything on GAF.

GAF says :
OMG it's the best game ever, savior of the gamecube and survival horror, it's the second coming in DVD form !

I say :
Err, I can't deny RE4 didn't take the series in a direction I like, but seriously ? Best game EVER ?
Certainly, I found the game quite good looking, but that's it. It is dull, boring, uninteresting. I played it from beginning to end hoping for that little spark that would make me go "AWESOME", and didn't find it. I didn't have fun at all, it was more like "meh" all the way through.

Thankfully Revelations is way better.

Anteater

Buying games on other peoples recommendations is a fools errand.

But how else will you know a game is good though? People and journalists are pretty much there to tell you what the game is about and what makes them good/bad, unless you have access to rental services then you could probably play and try for yourself.

But how else will you know a game is good though? People and journalists are pretty much there to tell you what the game is about and what makes them good/bad, unless you have access to rental services then you could probably play and try for yourself.
A good way would be to find people with shared tastes. It's not foolproof, but at least it's better than reading about an unknown person's opinion.

MicH

One that comes to mind is de Blob for Wii. GAF apparently loved it, it just didn't click with me. Found it kind of boring, to be honest.

Top Bottom