• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

It's probably a more linear gaming experience than Pong. Awesome game if you like exploring empty walls.

Xenoblade ? linear ? With all the quest you can do and all the thingsoutside the main story ?
Xenoblade ? linear ? really ?

I have nothing aout anyone taste for games but lies shouldn't be accepted like that..

I don't think so. I have no problem with people not liking the game but your claim that people only like it because it's hard does bother me. You're not the only one though, seen plenty of claims on this forum that people just pretend to like it for hardcore cred. Don't understand the need to come up with some strange theory as to why other people actually enjoy the game.

Well it's just a natural extrapolation from reasons people usually state why they like the game. Things like "The game forces you to be cautious", "It punishes you for treating it like other games" and the like make me think people appreciate the souls games for their difficulty. The game feels masochistic if you don't play it the way it wants you to play (slowly, methodically, carefully) and even when you do it can overwhelm you in places if you don't know what's coming.

I remember in 1-1 of Demon's Souls running up a staircase and getting smacked in the face with a flaming barrel that I could not have possibly seen coming, and only having signs etched into the ground to tell me that an archer is going to jump me around the corner. So I get that aspect of it, the whole "keep your guard up around every corner" gameplay. But even when you do, things get unreasonably difficult. I still remember the amount of suffering I had in 1-2 of Demon's Souls where you have to time your run across the bridge to avoid getting flambe'd by the dragon above, but once you get to the end, you're out of stamina and have to fight two knights AND archers at the SAME TIME. I finally after several tries managed to get close enough to make one of the knights come at me but not the other, and took them down one at a time, then polished off the archers...then the Tower Knight one shotted me as soon as the fight started. That is the moment I stopped playing Demon's Souls, lol.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kameo and Viva Pinata. For very different reasons.

Kameo just never grabbed my attention enough to even finish, the combat wasn't fun for me and the story went straight in one ear and out the other

Viva Pinata was very frustrating in how confined it felt and I never felt like I was truly in control, kind of like it was too linear. I loved the colourful and upbeat nature of the game but never finished it.
Yeah impressions and stuff of Viva Piñata really skipped over the restrictions and limitations it put on the gameplay itself. They pretty much gave you a sandbox and told you to use it in only one way.

Probably Killzone 2.

Must have been the 10MB gifs in every thread that got me
Though I wasn't that hyped, I was curious to try it out. Same goes for Resistance and Resistance 2. All of them? Epitome of mediocre.

Red Dead Redemption

Just another typical Rockstar game (I'm not a fan, find them to be tedious and boring) with a different coat of paint.

Technically very impressive though.

Edit: Forget Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Derrick01

Banned
There's been quite a few and it's the reason why I don't make purchase decisions based on whether a large number of people on Gaf like it or not. Sometimes I'll still take their opinions into consideration but for the most part I do my own research and make my own decisions every time now. It works out much better for me like that and I don't get tricked into buying something like Demon's Souls or Red Dead.

Most have been mentioned:

999 - just not my thing, was interesting but the characters didn't catch my attention
The World Ends With You - hated, HATED the main character, seemed like a crybaby emo
Heavy Rain (terrible controls, terrible story ... JASON!)
SW:TOR - luckily played the beta and cancelled my Amazon order - felt exactly like WoW with a SW skin, and not even the 'good' SW aesthetic
Professor Layton - OBJECTION! - just hated the controls mainly, wasn't my style of game
Vanquish - I got over the repetitive "kill wave after wave, BIG BOSS" type of game a while ago
ModNation Racers - terrible controls and the terrible loading
Killzone 2 - terrible controls and pretty simplistic, pretty though
Alan Wake - This was my hype just as much as GAF so can't blame them completely - but they murdered the open world Pacific NW forest town I was hoping to explore ala' Stephen King and made it a tunnel

But, most of those are just tastes that I bought into the hype, None of those are inherently "bad" games but I just didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.

I'm baffled by Xenoblade ... linear? Sounds like OP has no clue of what he's talking about and I'm glad this thread is made because I'll ignore any opinion he has in the future. I think I've barely even scratched the main storyline and areas I'm running around not really even knowing where to go. But, opinions and all ... seems like a weird argument for disliking a game that is inherently the exact opposite. It's like saying there aren't enough cars in GT5 or Forza 4

IrishNinja

haha sorry, I WANTED to like it, I really did, and I gave it the fairest of shakes, played it til I platinumed it, but it was a massive disappointment to me, felt like a huge step backwards from Drakengard 2 in terms of gameplay, going from 4 playable characters with strengths and weaknesses vs different enemies to just one was a letdown, there's only 3 types of weapons instead of 8, only one combo ever compared to 4 different ones per weapon, you only ever have the same few spells, when d2 had a different spell on every weapon, with REAL TIME WEAPON CHANGE we could have been making our own selections of spells by equipping 8 weapons. I think even the most steadfast fans of Nier agree that Kaine and Emil should have been playable at least

damn. okay i'm sure as hell not gonna argue here cause:
a) it's no doubt a flawed game
b) you fuckin plat'd it
c) i never did get to play Drakengard 2

so yeah, you gave it more than its fair shake man, and again id really like to play the aforementioned title. quite fair!

ITT: Ridiculous hyperbole to hype a game is bad, ridiculous hyperbole to trash a game is A-Okay

haha pretty much.

GAF Said:

OMG, one of the best portable story telling experiences. A must own for the DS.

I Said:
*snore*

to be fair, do you (and others knocking it) normally dig visual novels?

Yakuza series...everyone more nonsensical than the last, with minimal combat improvements.

thought we was cool, man
in all fairness nothing you said was untrue

Yeah I suppose Xenoblade is a linear, empty experience... except from all the weapons, armours, gems, shops, materials for making a city, monsters, optional bosses, hundreds of NPCs and the way in which the affinity of all the characters interact with each other.

Fewr

One that comes to mind is de Blob for Wii. GAF apparently loved it, it just didn't click with me. Found it kind of boring, to be honest.
It didn't click with me either. The first level was ok, second was a bit boring, turned off the wii during the third level.

Anteater

I thought Yakuza was pretty fresh and fun playing the first game, but towards the end of Yakuza 2 I got kind of burnt out from it, judging from the demo for 3, the combat don't seem to have much improvements so I skipped it.

Interfectum

There's been quite a few and it's the reason why I don't make purchase decisions based on whether a large number of people on Gaf like it or not. Sometimes I'll still take their opinions into consideration but for the most part I do my own research and make my own decisions every time now. It works out much better for me like that and I don't get tricked into buying something like Demon's Souls or Red Dead.

Heaven forbid you get 'tricked' into buying one of the best games this generation.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Braid, TWEWY, Limbo, Darksiders, Demon's Souls are the first that come to mind.

I also got bored of Ghost Trick pretty quick.

Mzo

I would love to hear more detailed opinions about some of these. Especially TWEWY.

I can't even get into the frame of mind where someone would think it's a bad game. It's certainly not perfect, but I'd love to hear some specifics.

IrishNinja

I thought Yakuza was pretty fresh and fun playing the first game, but towards the end of Yakuza 2 I got kind of burnt out from it, judging from the demo for 3, the combat don't seem to have much improvements so I skipped it.

3 doesn't change things up too dramatically, but 4 might be worth your time, if even for a rental - there's 3 new characters, all with different fighting styles. combat felt a lot more fresh for me.

It works out much better for me like that and I don't get tricked into buying something like Demon's Souls or Red Dead.

goddamn i wish i'd get "tricked" into buying titles of that quality once in a while

killer 7

gaf said: something something experience something unique

i said:
what.png

House of the Dead Overkill.

It was terrible, and everyone I read posts from on GAF back in the day said it was better than microwaveable popcorn.

:p I liked House of Dead Returns 2 & 3 much better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm surprised Super Paper Mario hasn't popped up since that was hyped as the second coming of Jesus.

I guess GoldenEye Wii's wiimote controls haven't captured me. Then again I hardly ever play FPS so giving me so many customisation controls might be a bit too much for me, but I haven't really managed to find a configuration I like and ended up playing with the bundled in CCPro which is easy mode since you just need to press one button to auto lock on an enemy, Doesn't help that the game gives me motion sickness.

Demon's Souls

This is the only game this generation that I have purchased that has truly let me down. I tried, and tried, and tried to get into this game. I gave up, and twice have tried to either pick up or start a new game, but it is just not fun to me. After a while I realized I shouldn’t be trying to force myself to enjoy a game, and have not gone back to it since. I wish I had traded it for something else back when it had more value.

Well it's just a natural extrapolation from reasons people usually state why they like the game. Things like "The game forces you to be cautious", "It punishes you for treating it like other games" and the like make me think people appreciate the souls games for their difficulty. The game feels masochistic if you don't play it the way it wants you to play (slowly, methodically, carefully) and even when you do it can overwhelm you in places if you don't know what's coming.

I remember in 1-1 of Demon's Souls running up a staircase and getting smacked in the face with a flaming barrel that I could not have possibly seen coming, and only having signs etched into the ground to tell me that an archer is going to jump me around the corner. So I get that aspect of it, the whole "keep your guard up around every corner" gameplay. But even when you do, things get unreasonably difficult. I still remember the amount of suffering I had in 1-2 of Demon's Souls where you have to time your run across the bridge to avoid getting flambe'd by the dragon above, but once you get to the end, you're out of stamina and have to fight two knights AND archers at the SAME TIME. I finally after several tries managed to get close enough to make one of the knights come at me but not the other, and took them down one at a time, then polished off the archers...then the Tower Knight one shotted me as soon as the fight started. That is the moment I stopped playing Demon's Souls, lol.

I appreciate the way you have to be cautious but it's more because it forces you to think about how you're going to tackle situations rather than it being unfairly hard. I think the reason people talk about that is to counter the claim the games are unfair. As to your barrel example, there are some trial and error deaths like that but things like bloodstains and warnings from other players usually tip you off.

The Souls games can be intimidating but theres usually always a simple and easy way to do things. Take your tower knight example. That bossfight seems really intimidating at first but it's actually fairly straightforward. You can rush down the archers and kill them first without any real danger from the knight. Then its just a case of dodging his slow attacks and going for his ankle when he misses. Then he drops to the ground and takes a huge amount of damage quickly from attacking his head. Summon a couple of people to help you and its even easier. Also your post was talking about Dark Souls which is a step down in difficulty over Demons if anything.

Anyway the other things I like about the games are the combat, the atmosphere, the online integrated stuff and the character\equipment progression. Sure, the challenge plays a part but it certainly isn't the only reason I like them.

creid

Ugh, Bebpo's hyperbolic review for Devil Summoner got me to try it. The worst offenders:

"the story is good and the player is constantly making choices that matter"
"The game's primary antagonist Dan may go down as the next well known videogame character if enough people play the game. He's easily one of the best written characters in any game to date."
"The best written Megaten this generation (or maybe tied with Nocturne; nocturne has that more epic basic tale of a few individuals whereas Raidou 2 has TONS of dialogue and very developed cast/story like a novel) and one of the most interesting rpg stories that covers human-sized drama and how the greater powers watch and interact as humans face them."

Even worse:
Fans of the Megaten franchise will be pleased to know that
Lucifer
is handled EXTREMELY well in this game (and no that is not a spoiler. If you can't figure out that
the person you meet who has the BLOND HAIR and is named LOUIE is Lucifer, this might not be the franchise for you)
Except in the English version of the game nobody calls him
Louie
until the very end of the game, so yes it is a spoiler thank you very much.

Then there was Scribblenauts. Yes, you can make just about anything by typing it in. But when 95% of those things don't do what they're supposed to (e.g. a magnet doesn't attract metal,) then what's the point?

DS2 was a harsh, 35-hour lesson on why one should not get too caught up in GAF hype.

Tain

hmmmmmmm

Everyday Shooter sucks and Geometry Wars 2 is pretty mediocre. Tetris DS might be part of this, too. It's been a while since that one came out.

Ultimately, though, I'm the one that bought these shitty-to-mediocre games. I can't blame GAF too much.

Sohter.Nura said:
House of the Dead Overkill.

It was terrible, and everyone I read posts from on GAF back in the day said it was better than microwaveable popcorn.

I never bought it, thankfully, but yeah, that game is horrible. Blows my mind that some people put it above the other games in the series.

TWEWY for me as well too. I played it for just a few hours and got bored with the moody main character, scanning, talking to characters who didn't want to shut up going on about who-knows-what. Like with Kingdom Hearts games, I thought I could get past the ridiculous character designs if the rest of the game was great. Perhaps it gets good, I don't know.

kurahador

999 - just not my thing, was interesting but the characters didn't catch my attention
I'm playing it for the story, and enjoyed it the hell out.
The World Ends With You - hated, HATED the main character, seemed like a crybaby emo
Maybe it was because you stopped playing before reaching the good part?
Professor Layton - OBJECTION! - just hated the controls mainly, wasn't my style of game
objection?? you even got the game signature word wrong. layton series is about solving puzzles, not court. :/

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
- Heavy Rain: A bad Law and Order Episode.

- Jeanne D'Arc: Unbalanced characters and pedestrian combat.

- Starfox 64 3D: Overpriced for what it was.

- GTA3 Mobile: Doesn't looks amazing and is still the same game that bored me 10 years ago.

- Alice: Too long for its own good, whatever this game had of good, it killed it by dragging it for hours until you were sick of it.

- Modern Combat 3: It doesn't look incredible and plays like crap. And no, Is not nearly as good as CoD.

- GTA3 Mobile: Doesn't looks amazing and is still the same game that bored me 10 years ago.

Did you play it on Android though? It's apparently a much better port on Android, as the iphone isn't really as powerful as a top line Android phone, and thus the clarity and smoothness suffered.

SykoTech

DKCR (hate shaking wiimote)

I guess I'd say this.

I got some fun out of it, but Donkey Kong Country Returns is nowhere near as good as it was hyped up to be here. And hat terrible mechanic is one of the things that really hurt it.

Definitely Retro's worse game to date.

A character that actually demonstrates development and matures over the course of the story? Unpossible. First five minutes must be representative of the whole!

Yeah, but if someone is immediately turned off, that's a poor reason to stick with it. Should I have stuck with Tales of Symphonia 2?

cametall

After playing and beating Nier due to GAF reccommendations (excellent game) I tried Alpha Protocol.

Alpha Protocol was getting a lot of love in it's OT or some dedicated thread I ran across... complete garbage. The hot trash game play was just too painful to slog through to try and experience the "excellent choice and consequences" system.

Cheech

EEEooooEEAA

Deadly Premonition. Charming, but didn't click with me

Same. What a fucking awful piece of shit.

Also, MGS4. I underestimated the amount of time I was going to spend with my controller on my lap in that game. The gameplay sections were like a shitty Splinter Cell. Not a fan.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm surprised Super Paper Mario hasn't popped up since that was hyped as the second coming of Jesus.

I bought that just because I enjoyed the first two and yeah it was pretty terrible. By far the most disappointing wii game I've bought.

zroid

Banned
And hat great mechanic is one of the things that made it awesome.

Definitely Retro's best game to date.

fixed ;)

--

I've never bought a game on GAF hype alone. There are very, very few games I buy and end up disliking -- or, at least, not getting my money's worth for. I try to know exactly what I'm getting into before I drop money on something.

The only game in recent memory that I recall bearing any significant amount of disappointment was ME3, but I still mostly enjoyed it. That purchase certainly wasn't based on GAF-hype though.

Riposte

I have to wonder how people approach NeoGAF threads. Having to find out the hard way Demon's Souls has brutal level design or that Alpha Protocol's combat is rough (and only decent with specific builds) after looking for recommendations seems impossible.

Sky Chief

LA Noire

When the game first came out there was a lot of praise in the OT so I bought it. Too bad the interrogation system sucks. Half of the time when you select an option the ingame response is nothing like what you were expecting. An interesting game but fundamentally broken.

Tales of Symphonia. I found it so disappointing, it soured me on the entire Tales series. Best GCN JRPG my ass.

Hotel Dusk
GAF said:
Awesome story, it's like an old school adventure game!

I Said:
This is one of the worst games I've ever played. The story is a horrible joke, the gameplay is to classical point and click adventure game what Amalur is to RPGs - They have almost nothing in common. And that elevator music soundtrack has burned a hole in my soul. Why GAF, why?

You have shit taste in games and stories.

killer 7

gaf said: something something experience something unique

i said:
what.png

So do you :/

Top Bottom