• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Believe the Hype! Games you Purchased on a GAF Recommendation That Made you SAD

Mzo

I buy and play a lot of games, including ones that are generally panned as being bad.

There's usually something to like in a video game unless it's exceptionally fucked up. Nobody makes a game with the intention of it being terrible.

Maybe Rare.

Sometimes you have to work within the restrictions of the game and see what the developers had in mind. I think a lot of games are dismissed too quickly; our hobby is somewhat unique in that you do need to build up a certain skill set before you can properly enjoy a game... It's almost like learning to read every time you pick up a new book.

Nothing wrong with disliking a game and not playing it. It's a hobby after all, you do what you enjoy doing in your free time.

So... you buy on those peoples recommendations then?
Not necessarly when they give recommendations. When I see a game OT in GAF for example, I read it a little bit, skimping through, and look for several people I know I share taste with. If they enjoyed the game, I'll give it a shot.

Till now it has been quite good.

Probably the first Uncharted. It didn't make me sad, but it was incredibly boring.

For me Uncharted is one of those games that are way way overhyped by everyone in general. Personnally I thought it was decent, but nowhere as good as everyone makes it to be.

But how else will you know a game is good though? People and journalists are pretty much there to tell you what the game is about and what makes them good/bad, unless you have access to rental services then you could probably play and try for yourself.

People who have a fair amount of knowledge concerning video games should be able to play a demo, or even watch a quick look (or equivalent) and be able to tell fairly quickly if the game at least interests them. From there you can contemplate a rental, or even just do some research on the game. Not that positive or negative "buzz" should be overlooked, but my own intuition has yet to lead me astray.

edit: and don't even get me started on game journalists "reviews"

I would put in a vote for Dark Souls, but I didn't buy it. I redbox'd it, played it, said "oh wow, this plays like all of the asshole parts of game design I didn't like 20 years ago" and returned it.

It really felt like a great developer (FROM) sat down and played "I Wanna Be The Guy" and said "Yo, guys. We gotta do something like this." and Demon's Souls was born. Then people ate it up because if a game is hard, it has to be good! And Dark Souls was born. Call me when they make another expansion to Armored Core 4 (which was the last FROM game that controlled like a dream), because I "just don't understand, man".

...rereading my post, I realize just how much vitriol generated, not by this game, but by this game's fanbase. You either love the game or you hate it, and if you hate it then you are wrong. Did I get it right?

protonion

Xenoblade for sure.

Gaf said it's the jrpg of the generation.

NO IT'S NOT!

And the reason is that Xenoblade IS NOT A JRPG. It's an offline mmorpg. And quite a bad one too. The combat system is worthless and the writing makes FFXIII's script look brilliant.
I find it offensive that this game has the Xeno name. I'll give it a go when I want to die from boredom.

I'm replaying Xenogears right now and I'm crying for the genre at the same time.

marrec

Banned
Xenoblade for sure.

Gaf said it's the jrpg of the generation.

NO IT'S NOT!

And the reason is that Xenoblade IS NOT A JRPG. It's an offline mmorpg. And quite a bad one too. The combat system is worthless and the writing makes FFXIII's script look brilliant.
I find it offensive that this game has the Xeno name. I'll give it a go when I want to die from boredom.

I'm replaying Xenogears right now and I'm crying for the genre at the same time.

Your review is insightful.

This thread has convinced me to buy Xenoblade, Bayonetta, and Nier.

GAF wins again!

Setero

Neo Member
ITT: Someone gets butthurt over someone else not liking their favourite game.

Criticize my favorite games all you want(I'm going to criticize yours too you know) just don't say "lol, they suck", have some actual depth to your opinions or is that too hard?

Volcynika

For me Uncharted is one of those games that are way way overhyped by everyone in general. Personnally I thought it was decent, but nowhere as good as everyone makes it to be.

It sometimes seems that way (though fanbases of all games can have that effect, they can be quite vocal), but I just didn't find much enjoyment out of it. And since then, I never picked up U2 or U3, just because that style has no pull on me.

Demon's Souls. I'm trying to like it but there's very little variation to the combat, and what is there is not nuanced enough to matter when fighting the enemies. Also there are some really, really stupid design decisions involved.

Kameo and Viva Pinata. For very different reasons.

Kameo just never grabbed my attention enough to even finish, the combat wasn't fun for me and the story went straight in one ear and out the other

Viva Pinata was very frustrating in how confined it felt and I never felt like I was truly in control, kind of like it was too linear. I loved the colourful and upbeat nature of the game but never finished it.

Anteater

People who have a fair amount of knowledge concerning video games should be able to play a demo, or even watch a quick look (or equivalent) and be able to tell fairly quickly if the game at least interests them. From there you can contemplate a rental, or even just do some research on the game. Not that positive or negative "buzz" should be overlooked, but my own intuition has yet to lead me astray.

edit: and don't even get me started on game journalists "reviews"

It's hard to tell quickly what the full game is about though, and what the progression is like, I ran into this problem with long adventure or rpgs in general, where previews are often the first few hours of the game, and some of those videos are made by journalists :p

By watching some videos, you know you will enjoy the combat, but will there be enough depth after the first few hours? You will need someone who has played the game to tell you that.

It sometimes seems that way (though fanbases of all games can have that effect, they can be quite vocal), but I just didn't find much enjoyment out of it. And since then, I never picked up U2 or U3, just because that style has no pull on me.

Maybe you should try it, as U2 and U3 are really different from U1 (I liked U2 more than U1)

Setero

Neo Member
Rather than throwaway ITT posts? Deal.

We've come to terms.

So I guess to answer OPs question, I guess Vanquish, its more a problem with the campaign than the actual gameplay, GAF talked a lot about how attacks come from all angles and what have you but it really wasn't true for most of the campaign, it was true for the challenges though.

lol, you suck

Truly you are a twit wit.

...rereading my post, I realize just how much vitriol generated, not by this game, but by this game's fanbase. You either love the game or you hate it, and if you hate it then you are wrong. Did I get it right?

I don't think so. I have no problem with people not liking the game but your claim that people only like it because it's hard does bother me. You're not the only one though, seen plenty of claims on this forum that people just pretend to like it for hardcore cred. Don't understand the need to come up with some strange theory as to why other people actually enjoy the game.

Anteater

We've come to terms.

So I guess to answer OPs question, I guess Vanquish, its more a problem with the campaign than the actual gameplay, GAF talked a lot about how attacks come from all angles and what have you but it really wasn't true for most of the campaign, it was true for the challenges though.

The attacks comes from all angles for certain maps for me, especially on god hard, you don't have enough space to move around, but that's actually my complaint :p

Aru

I didn't like Xenoblade as much as most GAF people, but I wouldn't say it made me sad :p

Maybe Lunar Silver Star Harmony. GAF praised the older versions of the game but this one is just boring. Not a bad game, but I wish it was better and more challenging.

dude

dude
Hotel Dusk
GAF said:
Awesome story, it's like an old school adventure game!

I Said:
This is one of the worst games I've ever played. The story is a horrible joke, the gameplay is to classical point and click adventure game what Amalur is to RPGs - They have almost nothing in common. And that elevator music soundtrack has burned a hole in my soul. Why GAF, why?

It's hard to tell quickly what the full game is about though, and what the progression is like, I ran into this problem with long adventure or rpgs in general, where previews are often the first few hours of the game, and some of those videos are made by journalists :p

By watching some videos, you know you will enjoy the combat, but will there be enough depth after the first few hours? You will need someone who has played the game to tell you that.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really have anything against recommendations, and I know there are plenty of people who rely on game reviews for many of their purchases. That being said, I trust myself much more than anyone else, including video game "professionals".

Nier.....so boring slow and shit.

Demon souls......to be fair I knew from day one I wasn't going to like it, but I tried it anyway.

Yakuza series...everyone more nonsensical than the last, with minimal combat improvements.

Rayman origins....beautiful game, but boring as hell.

A vita.....waste of time money so far (but the jury is still out on that one)

Edit: I've been here a while now and to be honest, I know whose opinions I respect and who's opinions I don't when it comes to certain genres of games. So i dont get caught out as much. It comes as no surprise some of the people in this thread who don't like Bayonetta. When they post I an action game thread, I don't even read their opinion anymore. I simply scroll past.

NGKrush

Neo Member
batman arkham asylum.

another overly scripted, too much hand-holding & badly written action game.
the fighting is cool, but comes nowhere close to dmc, otogi, bayonetta, etc.
it's a good licensed game, but that's it.

marrec

Banned

The problem is that the someone playing the game could get a completely different experience out of it than you. Some guy above said the Legend of Heros: TitS never engaged him and he couldn't finish the game. Going on that recommendation and the videos I'd watched I would have considered it a fairly generic JRPG. It was, however, one of my favorite handheld games of the generation.

That's why these anti-GAF hype threads are strange, the games are hyped for a reason, they aren't boring or bland they just aren't your cup of tea.

But really GAF, Catherine?

Murkas

Journey

I was wary of buying this after getting Flower based on its reviews, people bigged up the multiplayer and stuff so I though maybe it will be a different story but it had the same problem that I had with Flower.

Nothing much happens...

Sure the games are very nice too look at but let me do..something, anything! I'm not talking shooting and action stuff, just let me do something fun, controlling petals and walking forward isn't fun
to me

Dead Man

We've come to terms.

Truly you are a twit wit.

Good man. To expand on my Nier nomination, it was a game that I played for several hours and it just did not grip me. I do not think it is a bad game, it just didn't work for me. So I became sad.

Fjordson

This thread's basic purpose is to tell people popular games suck. Do we really hold any delusions that this is going to be a very healthy discussion?
Yeah, this unfortunately seems to pop up a few times a month. Though I'll admit, the twists for the basic "popular games you hate" are pretty clever sometimes.

teeny

Im not sure what the GAF consensus on Braid is, but I bought it and think its poorest indie puzzle platformers to be hyped this generation.

It is just.... ugh. It feels all wrong. It doesnt particularly look great, doesnt play great and the puzzles arent interesting.

way more

Flower

Was this interesting when Sixaxis was new? I'm just not seeing anything compelling.

Quotes from wiki

it had a "well-constructed movie's emotional arc"

"more enjoyment, emotion and enlightenment than any game"

"utterly unique, brave and moving game brimming with personality and intent"

These sound like people who have never visited a contemporary art museum. If I saw this at a college art show I would play for 3 minutes, say "that was nice," and move on to the next exhibit. I would never consider it a activity worth pursuing outside of those confines.

I don't see anything that Flower does that isn't done just as well as this browser art game.
Bla Bla
trinn_blabla_ss1.jpg

http://blabla.nfb.ca/

Or this game
Feed the Head
feedthehead.gif

http://www.feedthehead.net/

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines

I enjoyed the characters and the story, but the combat was was pretty bad. Unfortunately, last 3-4 hours of that game was a chore to play because of the heavy combat focus.

It kinda seemed unfinished TBH.

Anteater

Flower

Was this interesting when Sixaxis was new? I'm just not seeing anything compelling.

It's kind of relaxing in a way, I don't feel a thing about it though, don't really hate it since I did play through the entire thing, just felt... neutral about it, lol.

Vanquish, but probably not for the reasons you'd think.

Can't stand the control. For such a frenetic game, the control is massively sluggish. this game would have played better with a Wiimote or a mouse, something where I could just look and fire. the crane control style made everything feel like it was sitting in syrup despite being so fast paced.

Xilium

Fallout 3 - I played this after New Vegas based on so many people on GAF at the time saying it was the better Fallout game. Without the faction-based sidequest though, everything seemed too disconnected and the world felt dry compared to NV.

Legend of Heroes: TiTS - I haven't finished the game yet (near the beginning of chapter 3) and maybe it's supposed to blow my mind from this point going forward, but I doubt it. The game isn't bad, I'm just not seeing what is so great about it (the non-sexualized female lead I suppose...?).

Xenoblade - I've given this game enough crap since it's European release so I'll just say it didn't live up to the hype for me. Simply having a large open world doesn't make an RPG great imo.

Uncharted Series - I wanted to like these games but the shooting sections of the games (which there are more than I think are necessary) just ruined the experience for me.

It's kind of relaxing in a way, I don't feel a thing about it though, don't really hate it since I did play through the entire thing, just felt... neutral about it, lol.

Yeah I think this became a victim of it's own hype really - it's a neat experiment and very relaxing to just float around, but as a game, although it's certainly different, it never felt "groundbreaking" and there were many other PSN exclusive games that were more deserving of the hype (such as Trash Panic).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
space giraffe. fucking terrible seizure inducing "game"

stupei

Fallout 3 - I played this after New Vegas based on so many people on GAF at the time saying it was the better Fallout game. Without the faction-based sidequest though, everything seemed too disconnected and the world felt dry compared to NV.

Who were these people? I'm glad I don't know them.

New Vegas is the better Fallout game, but Fallout 3's DC has the denser world. For some people that made for a better experience, but if you're talking pure gameplay mechanics and systems? New Vegas. No question.

As to the OP's question, I don't actually build up personal hype based on GAF recommendations. I buy games that I've heard praised on GAF after looking into them more, and then I keep my expectations reasonable, even minimal, and am often pleasantly surprised. I didn't EXPECT face-meltingly awesome life changing and earth shattering from Xenoblade, so when what I got was a really fun JRPG, I was happy. I didn't expect to define my understanding of what it is to be a gamer through Demon's Souls, so when I experimented with different combat styles and grew to understand the variety of options available to me, I was excited.

The huge disappoints for me in gaming have been when a sequel to a game I really loved lets me down, not when some people on GAF like something more than I turn out to. I don't really take "all over my tits!" hyperbole on GAF that seriously, I guess.

Mzo

One game I can remember never giving a chance because it put such a bad taste in my mouth on its first impression was PN 03 on the GC.

I should buy it and try again.

Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars. Boring as fuck with lots of drive from point a to point b mini-games.

999 - Just plain boring.

Top Bottom