• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xero273

Firestorm said:
All of Team Symphonia's games seem to have some stupid blur filter applied. although it's not that bad in Vesperia. Symphonia had it the worst.

Is there anything different in the PS3 demo or is it still the same demo? Starts off with stupid guard thing, go through forest, fight impossibly hard wolf that is even harder in the real game?

I think demo is different from 360. I don't remember Raven being in the 360 demo. Raven is the guy with the purple clothes? For those interesting the demo does dts sound.

edit: demo is different. patty is in the party.

RetroMG

This demo makes me wish I'd kept up with Japanese after college. I got rocked against the new Giganto Monster and Gigalarva. I did love Patty, though.

cress2000

From the demo, this port is FAR better than the one Symphonia got for PS2. Only real knock is that the battle load times are a few seconds longer, but that's not saying too much as they were damn near instant on 360 (after the first battle). Framerates are the same, and I don't really notice any huge differences in the graphics, aside from the fact that it's 720p and I played the 360 version in 1080 which looked noticeably sharper.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
jiggle said:
that gorilla mid boss kicked my ass
made the end boss feel like a cake walk

the jungle in Trusty Bell looks better :X
I'm pretty sure that gorilla is one of the new Giganto Monsters which are optional and are suppose to be harder than normal.

Firestorm

Game looks exactly the same.
Patty seems to play similar to Colette in Symphonia.
If you want to change the controls (to say X for regular and Circle for special), press Triangle for menu, go to the last option (icon with arrow up and down), select the sixth option and press X. Just go to the part where it says "X" and press "Circle". They'll automatically change. Go to the bottom and select the last option to save and quit.

I actually died at the Giganto Monster. I don't know which arte is which and was too lazy to pick it out. Kept trying to move with the D-Pad and I can't seem to free run for some reason.

xero273

Firestorm said:
Game looks exactly the same.
Patty seems to play similar to Colette in Symphonia.
If you want to change the controls (to say X for regular and Circle for special), press Triangle for menu, go to the last option (icon with arrow up and down), select the sixth option and press X. Just go to the part where it says "X" and press "Circle". They'll automatically change. Go to the bottom and select the last option to save and quit.

I actually died at the Giganto Monster. I don't know which arte is which and was too lazy to pick it out. Kept trying to move with the D-Pad and I can't seem to free run for some reason.

free run is hold l2 and then move

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Firestorm said:

I died there too, heh.

Billen

Banned
This game is insanely fun. Been playing some via PS3 ad hoc, and it works great.

Are there any guides on what weapon/armor routes to go for each choice of weapon type, or one should go for anything one can get a hold on?

EDIT: This was supposed to end up in the MHU thread, not this one :)

Billen said:
This game is insanely fun. Been playing some via PS3 ad hoc, and it works great.

Are there any guides on what weapon/armor routes to go for each choice of weapon type, or one should go for anything one can get a hold on?

Huh?

Firestorm

ShockingAlberto said:
It's...not?

It comes out early August.

Edit: Damn your stealth edit, Firestorm!
Yeah >___> I thought it was Tales of VS but then I looked it up on GameFAQs and it's not out yet. you're right.

Loved the demo, it is so beautiful, and it hurts to think that ToV is not even announced for NA/EU yet.. gah!

The battle looked very standard Tales like, and I enjoyed playing around with the wolf and Patty. The boss at the end of the demo was pretty tough, but beat it first try :) yay

Please Namco, announce it for the US!!!

cnet128

Banned
Hi guys.

Just got my GAF account activated, big Tales fan, if there's a Tales thread you're likely to see me in it. Been following this thread for a while, totally hyped for Tales of Graces. I was a Nintendo-console-only gamer up until recently, so the only Tales games I'd played were Phantasia, Symphonia, Innocence, Symphonia 2, and Hearts. Oh, and Tempest, though I only bought that because it was crazy cheap, and never got very far in it :lol

Earlier this year, though, I finally bought a PS2, mostly so that I could play the Tales games I've been missing out on, and so far have played Abyss and am working my way through Destiny (Director's Cut). Loving it so far.

Still kind of irritates me that I won't be able to play VS or Vesperia, but I just can't justify buying those consoles to myself. But Graces hype and my backlog are certainly enough to keep me on a Tales high for the moment :D

Rpgmonkey

Okay, I was waiting for the other two to show, but they're not, so screw it. :/

Vesperia

Estelle: Eloquent One Piece
Raven: Gossiping Summer Man
Flynn: Technical Diver
Patty: Southern Rainbow Straw Girl

Also, the demo has English text in the data for skills. Maybe it means something, maybe it's just stuff hidden deep in the 360 version no one found and they just copied it. Don't really care about this game either way so I'm not gonna bother to overthink it and get all hopeful.

PusherT

Firestorm said:
Did you ever get around to playing the 360 version Rpgmonkey?
Your Charmander avatar reminded me of that Pokemon Episode when Ash found Charmander and his tail's flame was dying out. I learned Pokemon could die in that episode because poor Charmander almost bite the bulliet due to a rainstorm.

Rpgmonkey

Graces

-Turns out it's Cheria Barnes. Her styles are Throwing Knife Artes and Holy Magic.

-The other guy is Hubert Ozwell (who has...blue hair apparently). His styles are Double-Blade Artes and Twin Gun Spells.

-And there seems to be something called Hissatsuwaza/Special Moves. I'm assuming they're something like Burst Artes, but these look a bit flashier than those.

-Also, it looks like the game is using the CC (Chain Capacity) system from the Tales of Destiny remake instead of TP or anything.

For those who don't know what it is, in a way, it's sorta like Overlimit in Vesperia, in that you can link any attacks together, even the same one. Except the game is built more heavily around this system, and it works like a stamina bar that limits how much you can attack.

Certain actions consume certain amounts of CC. Stuff like a normal attack, backstepping, and a double jump uses 1 CC, while a character's most powerful attacks use, say, 6 CC. Once you run out of CC, or stop attacking for whatever reason, by resting for a second or two you refill your CC gauge. When you start off a fight you don't have maximum CC, but when it recharges, you gain a little more until you reach that character's maximum amount, then it restarts and goes back to the minimum, until you build it back up again and so on.

It gets deeper as you progress and get more CC and a bigger movelist. It's arguably the fastest and most combo-efficient system used in a Tales game to date. I'm sure this will be making a few changes/additions, but I'm guessing the core of the system is still intact.

It might sound a little convoluted when someone explains it to you through words, but it's actually one of the more user-friendly systems in the series.

Versus

I admit I didn't take a long look, but I don't think it has anything that wasn't already in Jump last week?

Firestorm said:
Did you ever get around to playing the 360 version Rpgmonkey?

I've played around with it with a friend, but never got my own copy yet.

Foffy

Banned
Hehe, my account is finally activated just after the ToV demo comes out :p

I certainly hope the PS3 port is released outside of Japan, and that the new content for the PS3 version has been translated some form in the game seems to imply that.

I do think out of the three games announced, Tales of VS will probably have the biggest chance of staying Japan-only. Namco seems to hate Tales games on handhelds everywhere outside of Japan, hence why we barely get any of the games released on those devices.

cnet128

Banned
Loved the EG system in Tales of Hearts. Loving the CC system in ToD: DC. Nice to hear that a similar system will be in place in Graces. Will this be the debut of such a system in a 3D title?

Both the CC system and the TP system have their own positives and negatives, and I'd hate to see either vanish completely, but IMO the CC system tends to make things more flexible and interesting. And seeing it in Graces makes me wonder whether other elements similar to Hearts/DestinyRemake will be showing up in Graces as well. (Those two games have a lot of interesting elements in common...)

Incidentally, for those who haven't played a CC/EG-system game, I think the biggest negative of those battle systems is that they take the focus away from standard attacks. In a TP-based battle system, because of the rigid way combos progress, pretty much all combos tend to revolve around a number of standard attacks followed by Artes. In CC-system games, though, there's no need to include standard attacks in your combos at all, since you can make long combos of Artes in whatever order you like (it's a very single-attack-spamming-friendly system =p), and including standard attacks just reduces the number of Artes you can include. I'd be interested to see a hybrid system in which a few standard attacks can be included in a combo without using up any CC. (Another thing about these systems, though, is that your standard attacks are even more spammable if you do feel like using them, since they take up a single unit of your gauge... so you can end up performing combos of stupid numbers of standard attacks in a row if you feel like it ><)

Rpgmonkey

Spiegel said:
Is this new?

2d fighting mini-game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOLI9tdzGsA

Versus website updates very frecuently with videos.

Haven't payed much attention to VS, so I don't really know.

In a way, that minigame seems more fun than the main game...

Also, it seems the characters in the minigame really isn't equivalent to the ones you can use the main game. It seems you can use almost all the playable characters from all the games there, while the main game narrows down the list.

Traitor to Heaven said:
Is the cc system like the mp system in SO3?

Not really. It's more like the Fury gauge in a way I guess.

I actually found the perfect video to show what CC is like. It's not spoiler heavy and it shows off the way you can mix up attacks and how it keeps the action pretty much non-stop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtqyjfq-Iw

Assuming Graces will keep the same speed and amount of stuff on screen as ToDr does, this is what a battle in Graces will probably look like once you have a full party and a good amount of attacks in your arsenal.

cnet128 said:
Incidentally, for those who haven't played a CC/EG-system game, I think the biggest negative of those battle systems is that they take the focus away from standard attacks. In a TP-based battle system, because of the rigid way combos progress, pretty much all combos tend to revolve around a number of standard attacks followed by Artes. In CC-system games, though, there's no need to include standard attacks in your combos at all, since you can make long combos of Artes in whatever order you like (it's a very single-attack-spamming-friendly system =p), and including standard attacks just reduces the number of Artes you can include. I'd be interested to see a hybrid system in which a few standard attacks can be included in a combo without using up any CC. (Another thing about these systems, though, is that your standard attacks are even more spammable if you do feel like using them, since they take up a single unit of your gauge... so you can end up performing combos of stupid numbers of standard attacks in a row if you feel like it ><)

Yeah, the way they're built does move the combat a little more towards using artes than normal attacks.

Though it seems they've realized that the CC/EG system causes that to happen, so it looks like they scrapped the "attack button", and instead just made one button for one type of arte and a second button for the other type, and normal attacks are just mixed inbetween your artes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rpgmonkey said:
Also, the demo has English text in the data for skills. Maybe it means something, maybe it's just stuff hidden deep in the 360 version no one found and they just copied it. Don't really care about this game either way so I'm not gonna bother to overthink it and get all hopeful.

Interesting.

Yeah, the way they're built does move the combat a little more towards using artes than normal attacks.
Which isn't really a bad thing, imo.

Graces sounds awesome and glad the CC system is making a debut in a 3D Tales.

kiryogi

Banned
Interesting to see CC making its way back again. Leaves me a bit mixed especially after playing Hearts tho. Yes, it does mean you can link anything and create any type of combo chain, but it also means it's an extremely spammy system. IE: One of the most popular overused moves in Hearts was Shing's Seijinzeppa. You'd just use it over and over....without much consequence. I personally liked where they were going with Destiny 2 and Rebirth in terms of near or non TP battle systems.

I wonder if Namco realizes that if they bring ToV PS3 over here to the States that I'll likely buy a copy for Sixty American Dollars plus local sales tax.

If that would sway their decision in any way I'd be happy to write them a quick letter informing them of this fact.

kiryogi said:
Interesting to see CC making its way back again. Leaves me a bit mixed especially after playing Hearts tho. Yes, it does mean you can link anything and create any type of combo chain, but it also means it's an extremely spammy system. IE: One of the most popular overused moves in Hearts was Shing's Seijinzeppa. You'd just use it over and over....without much consequence. I personally liked where they were going with Destiny 2 and Rebirth in terms of near or non TP battle systems.
I thought Hearts actually balanced the system a bit better in the sense that the enemies would damage break your chained attacks. In a way, it did limit combos. It also helped that enemies were extremely aggressive so it took some doing to actually spam successfully.

I will be interesting to see how they limit things with Graces. In Hearts, the EG was far too generous which made spamming too easy; maybe they ought to go back to the CC system but in a much stricter sense.

Destiny 2 had the right idea, but was a bit too restrictive in the way the CC/EG system was a bit too free. I think of all the Team Destiny games, Rebirth struck the best balance and remains my favourite.

kiryogi

Banned
Magicpaint said:
I thought Hearts actually balanced the system a bit better in the sense that the enemies would damage break your chained attacks. In a way, it did limit combos. It also helped that enemies were extremely aggressive so it took some doing to actually spam successfully.

I will be interesting to see how they limit things with Graces. In Hearts, the EG was far too generous which made spamming too easy; maybe they ought to go back to the CC system but in a much stricter sense.

Destiny 2 had the right idea, but was a bit too restrictive in the way the CC/EG system was a bit too free. I think of all the Team Destiny games, Rebirth struck the best balance and remains my favourite.

And as it remains Destiny 2 is around my top 3. The whole story and cast for Rebirth really hurts it in my eyes haha.

Geneijin

I disagree with the knock on the CC system. While it's true you'll end up forsaking regular attacks once you advance further in Destiny remake in favor of arte-only oriented combos, the CC system truly defined what an Action RPG was for me. There's more combo potential and variation in Destiny remake than say the standard regular attack -> base arte -> arcane arte combo you're limited in Abyss although Vesperia improved on Abyss. How does spamming artes in Destiny remake any different from than doing so in Vesperia?

And Destiny remake has the best block mechanic imo.

Tales of Destiny remake combo video No spoilers besides knowing what characters you could control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom