• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Tamanon said:
Hmm, I think you actually just started part 3, got a whiles to go.

As far as missables go, I like http://ameblo.jp/koulinovesperia/entry-10143410717.html as a sidequest guide.

New Game+ is determined by your grade, you get to pick different things to carry over or change about the next playthrough.

thanks, that's a very handy guide.

and still a ways to go ? god damn, my game clock is already 30 hours, i beat Eternal Sonata in way less than this ..

eXistor

I like the game, but it's both exactly as I hoped it would be and both as I feared. It's the same game we've been playing for years now, same kind of characters, same kind of story, same kind of battles, same kind of environments. That said, it is also yet again, very solid. For a few years I was absolutely sick of these games, but after not playing them for a while I started craving one again and this is the perfect game to satisfy that craving. It won't win any awards for originality, but it does what it does very well.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Shadow780 said:
I guess I am?:lol

If I were to invest on an time consuming game, I want to get the full experience by playing the version that contains most content.

I don't like replaying a RPG so I almost always wait to see if there's a director's cut/port that's coming out later with added stuff. There're a few games I can't wait to play as soon as it's released, though.
You're a wacko. :lol Why even buy the game then unless you're sure it's the definitive version you'll actually play? It's not like games these days have tiny print runs.

Also, glad all these PAL people finally get to play the best jrpg this gen. I said jrpg, not srpg, so back off VC defense force.

I can't wait to double dip with the PS3 version.

Shadow780

suffah said:
You're a wacko. :lol Why even buy the game then unless you're sure it's the definitive version you'll actually play? It's not like games these days have tiny print runs.

Well I got the Premium Edition, which at the time I wasn't sure if it's going to ran out of print. Also it's nice to support JRPGs even though I don't play them.

Lastly, if the PS3 version don't end up coming to NA I can just pop the 360 one and start playing~

Shadow780 said:
Well I got the Premium Edition, which at the time I wasn't sure if it's going to ran out of print. Also it's nice to support JRPGs even though I don't play them.

Lastly, if the PS3 version don't end up coming to NA I can just pop the 360 one and start playing~

I'm really thinking the confirm for the US region will be known later this year and if not screw it, I will import.

Shadow780

Urban Scholar said:
I'm really thinking the confirm for the US region will be known later this year and if not screw it, I will import.

Hopefully, if it's more than a year then the chances become slim...:/

Wizpig

Datschge said:
@wizpig: Sakuraba's focus while composing changed during the move from sequenced (think MIDI) to streamed (prerecorded) music. (Sequenced music calls more for catchy melodies, while streamed music rewards dynamic mixing and makes it easier to include improvisations.) This transition happened later in the Tales series as the developer opted to keep using sequenced music until during the development of TotA, and ToV is the first Tales game where Sakuraba made recording of his real analog synths according to the OST's liner notes (he did that all the time already for his other games with streamed music). If you prefer his sequenced style you may like ToH's OST. (As for Shinji Tamura he's always involved alongside him, TotT being the only exception.)
Thanks a lot for the explanations, i guess your avatar means you are a longtime fan :D

I think i really do like more his sequenced music pieces.. there's hope for Golden Sun DS, though.

Shadow780 said:
Hopefully, if it's more than a year then the chances become slim...:/

Keep the faith friend, I mean they sure as hell aren't going to put a NA version out a year from now. I mean with certain other RPG coming through it'll be like sending it out to pasture and all that.

Firestorm

Wizpig said:
Thanks a lot for the explanations, i guess your avatar means you are a longtime fan :D

I think i really do like more his sequenced music pieces.. there's hope for Golden Sun DS, though.
Datschge manage's Sakuraba's website iirc.

starsky

I'm playing it right now... so happy.

Yuri's voice is deeper than what I thought he would sound, and Estellise is ... well very much like I imagine she would be :lol.

Firestorm

suffah said:
Thanks for the heads up. Wonder what part of the game it is.
It's Kiev Moc. Includes a Giganto Monster that wasn't originally in the game. Playable characters are Yuri, Estelle, Rita, Repede, Karol, Raven, and Patty.

duckroll

john tv said:
Is it Japanese only or does it change to English if you play it with your settings set to English like the 360 one did?

The 360 one did no such thing. It simply detected the actual hardware region of your 360. The demo would be English only for a NTSC/UC set for example, and Japanese only on a NTSC/J set. :(

JoeFenix

It's japanese only and I guess that means you guys didn't work on a translation if one does exist...

Which means that it probably will never come out here :(

john tv

duckroll said:
The 360 one did no such thing. It simply detected the actual hardware region of your 360. The demo would be English only for a NTSC/UC set for example, and Japanese only on a NTSC/J set. :(
Oh, really? Guess it was like that because I played it on a US 360, then.

JoeFenix said:
It's japanese only and I guess that means you guys didn't work on a translation if one does exist...

I don't think it helped that the 360 one sold like crap. :/ But who knows -- I remain hopeful NBGA will do the right thing! The game was great, and the PS3-exclusive stuff looks hawt.

JoeFenix

Yeah, this version looks fantastic, it would be a crime not to release it here. I thought you guys did a fantastic job on the localisation too.... Now Star Ocean 4 on the other hand.... :lol

Hopefuly you guys can get a chance to localise it!

JoeFenix said:

That's what I'm thinking as well, I don't think NB will localize this unfortunately :(

I also emailed them some time back asking about localization and they gave me the standard "no news about localization at this time".

JoeFenix said:
Yeah, this version looks fantastic, it would be a crime not to release it here. I thought you guys did a fantastic job on the localisation too.... Now Star Ocean 4 on the other hand.... :lol

Is someone here a NB worker? Why do you keep saying you guys?

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I remember it was quite a bit blurry on the 360, but was it that blurry?
090713-0935400312-1280x720.png

Firestorm

Colours do seem a little washed out in those screens. I didn't really notice it while playing but it might be because it's been a while since I played the 360 version and the distance I'm from the TV.

john tv

JoeFenix said:

Both games have an equal amount of fidelity to the Japanese versions. Make of that what you will. :)

I loved TOV, and I really hope they bring out the PS3 version!

Rpgmonkey

Maybe I'm just tired and videogame screenshots aren't going to do anything to help this, but those shots actually made my eyes hurt a little. :/

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Firestorm said:
Colours do seem a little washed out in those screens. I didn't really notice it while playing but it might be because it's been a while since I played the 360 version and the distance I'm from the TV.
Yeah they were straight from the capture app without the 16-235 -> 0-255 levels conversion.
Here they are now:
090713-0938330015-1280x720.jpg

090713-0943300000-1280x720.jpg

090713-0945470187-1280x720.jpg

090713-0946190859-1280x720.jpg

JoeFenix

john tv said:
Both games have an equal amount of fidelity to the Japanese versions. Make of that what you will. :)

I loved TOV, and I really hope they bring out the PS3 version!

I'm just messing with you, I doubt anyone couyld have made that game sound good in English. But holy crap... Sarah and Lymle.....

I pity you guys that had to work on this for an extended period of time, I could barely make it through that game in one piece! :lol

Firestorm

Ah yes, much better now. I can't really tell a difference between the two at this point. Meh, no localization of PS3 means no DLC I guess =[

john tv

Demo seems pretty nice. Only played it for five minutes, but it seems smooth. Battle transition is not *quite* as smooth as the 360 version, but the difference is really, really minimal. Plus it might be just because it's a demo.

When you pick up items in chests, the item description appears on-screen now so you can know what the item does (should be handy at times). Patty seems all right; not a big fan of her voice, but to be honest, I like the US voices better for several characters, so that's not a big deal to me. Love the part when Yuri drops her on the floor after she says "nice catch", LOL. :)

Neil said:
Secret Mission 4 is making me want to tear my hair out!

I was expecting this to be really tough but I did it on my first try.. I just attacked Zagi till he was at the edge of the ship, he was off the ground so I overlimited and he fell off. Done it within 10 seconds of the battle starting. Hoping the other harder Secret Missions work out as easy as that one did.

Coxswain

The PS3 demo is pretty good; it's cool that it's up to par technically with the original, since a good bit of what made it so great was how technically polished it was. The only difference I noticed was that there was a load time on every battle instead of just the first one, but even then it's not a huge difference.

And man, Japan sure got the short end of the stick when it came to voice acting. Estelle and Yuri are about the same, but Raven's voice doesn't suit the character nearly as well, and Karol and Rita are totally unbearable.

Fuck Patty, though. Fuck her, fuck whoever came up with her, fuck anybody who likes her, what a horrible, miserable excuse for a character. I am incredibly disappointed in Yuri for dropping her - it should have been a full-on bodyslam. Nah-noh-jya.

matmanx1

I LOVED ToV on the 360 and have been eagerly awaiting the PS3 version. I really want it to come over here but if it doesnt I may just import it for the double dip. It doesnt look like there's alot of kanji in those screen shots and I can read the kana (and have beaten the game once already so I know the system) so I wonder if the rest of the game will be similar?

adamsapple

john tv said:
Demo seems pretty nice. Only played it for five minutes, but it seems smooth. Battle transition is not *quite* as smooth as the 360 version, but the difference is really, really minimal. Plus it might be just because it's a demo.

When you pick up items in chests, the item description appears on-screen now so you can know what the item does (should be handy at times). Patty seems all right; not a big fan of her voice, but to be honest, I like the US voices better for several characters, so that's not a big deal to me. Love the part when Yuri drops her on the floor after she says "nice catch", LOL. :)

have they altered the regular scenes in that demo area to figure in patty as well ? or does she have her own scene and just stands there in the regular one's ?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
matmanx1 said:
I LOVED ToV on the 360 and have been eagerly awaiting the PS3 version. I really want it to come over here but if it doesnt I may just import it for the double dip. It doesnt look like there's alot of kanji in those screen shots and I can read the kana (and have beaten the game once already so I know the system) so I wonder if the rest of the game will be similar?

At this point, I'll probably import it as well, but it would definitely be nice if it got localized if only to save money.

Neil

MiloFoxburr said:
I was expecting this to be really tough but I did it on my first try.. I just attacked Zagi till he was at the edge of the ship, he was off the ground so I overlimited and he fell off. Done it within 10 seconds of the battle starting. Hoping the other harder Secret Missions work out as easy as that one did.

Heh, well get you!
I had just given up after about 20 attempts of trying to move under him when he did his cyclone attack then triggering overlimit... so I decided to go all out on him, and Karol ended up knocking him off the edge after I did an arte which had him in the air!!
Happy days :)

I finally started playing this on 360 last week and have been surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I've never been much of a Tales fan which is why I didn't buy it when it was first released, but Vesperia is so technically impressive and polished that it has really drawn me in. The English translation and voice cast does a fantastic job - it manages to make characters I would have found unbearable in any other game (Estelle, Karol) tolerable, and dare I say it, likable. I'm glad I took a chance on this.

adamsapple

Jugendstil said:
I finally started playing this on 360 last week and have been surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. I've never been much of a Tales fan which is why I didn't buy it when it was first released, but Vesperia is so technically impressive and polished that it has really drawn me in. The English translation and voice cast does a fantastic job - it manages to make characters I would have found unbearable in any other game (Estelle, Karol) tolerable, and dare I say it, likable. I'm glad I took a chance on this.

the forth coming characters will only improve as far as voice acting goes.

edit : i'm at the
third spirit
and this game is getting more awesome as it proceeds, initially i felt like i was playing Eternal Sonata with different characters, but it's gotten in a league of it's own now.

Rpgmonkey

matmanx1 said:

Tales' heaviest use of Kanji and other weird Japanese comes from the dozens of artes/spells in the games.

The dialogue itself usually isn't that complicated, aside from a few characters with odd ways of speaking.

Top Bottom