• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tales of Vesperia |OT|

Tonza

Damn Gattuso was hard. I was level 16 and was determined to beat him with no grinding or lowering difficulty. It took only about 10 tries to beat him. Over limit in the beginning to take out the cubs and over limit when gattuso was stunned near flower worked.

BitchTits

Oh God, I don't understand the battle system at all :lol

I switched to Estellise as soon as she joined the party, but that didn't go so well, I think I put both her and Yuri on 'Manual' - so I guess Yuri wasn't doing anything, and I kept forgetting she didn't have any spells other than heal so we both went down pretty quick! I hadn't saved upto this point. The game doesn't really explain what to do with more than one party member - I hate reading games manuals.

It does look great, it reminds me a lot of Eternal Sonata (which I personally loved) even down to the fonts and static backgrounds (I just looked up Tri-Ace/Tri-Crescendo on wikipedia).

Ramenman

Hmmm so my brother DLed the demo yesterday, he's always wanted to play a Tales Of but never got around to it.

I just want to know if there's any way to play coop during combats in the demo?

Ramenman

To answer myself, yes you can.

That's pretty cool, this boss is quite harsh on us though. I like the combat system. We tried three times and on the latest one managed to get him to 5000 HP left or so.

Fourth time is the charm.

I hope D:

well i'm at Dangherst and the game so far is pretty good, i'm loving every piece of it. it's a shame they haven't included the japanese v.a although english one is nice.

btw, i still don't really know how to perform that burst arte + burst arcane thing, any tip about it?

Firestorm

BitchTits said:
Oh God, I don't understand the battle system at all :lol

I switched to Estellise as soon as she joined the party, but that didn't go so well, I think I put both her and Yuri on 'Manual' - so I guess Yuri wasn't doing anything, and I kept forgetting she didn't have any spells other than heal so we both went down pretty quick! I hadn't saved upto this point. The game doesn't really explain what to do with more than one party member - I hate reading games manuals.

It does look great, it reminds me a lot of Eternal Sonata (which I personally loved) even down to the fonts and static backgrounds (I just looked up Tri-Ace/Tri-Crescendo on wikipedia).
Set everyone who isn't being controlled by a player to Auto. Later in the game you can synthesize an item which lets you switch between Party Members on the field during battle. Until then you'll want to stick with one guy.
intheinbetween said:
well i'm at Dangherst and the game so far is pretty good, i'm loving every piece of it. it's a shame they haven't included the japanese v.a although english one is nice.

btw, i still don't really know how to perform that burst arte + burst arcane thing, any tip about it?
At the end of an overlimit, do an Arcane Arte and then hold the Artes button (I switched mine to B) to do a Burste Arte. If you have certain skills equipped, the Burste Arte changes.

thanks firestorm, i got it.

by the way, where can i get the jet-black ink from?

and what about that special item that allows you to switch between party members in the battle? i only got that S Flag that allows you to change the party leader, but not in battle, just in towns and dungeons.

Tamanon

Banned
The earliest place for ink is the beach past shaikos ruins once the traveling inn moves. You also have resource points that look like shells on it.

Firestorm

intheinbetween said:
thanks firestorm, i got it.

by the way, where can i get the jet-black ink from?

and what about that special item that allows you to switch between party members in the battle? i only got that S Flag that allows you to change the party leader, but not in battle, just in towns and dungeons.
Just check the Synthesis screen in every town. I think you get it the next time you visit Dahngrest after finishing Act 1 (You'll receive a 100 point achievement when you finish Part 1). You're able to make that + the shoes to make you go faster I believe.

yes, i saw that speed shoes in the store at Dahngrest, but i didn't notice the other special item, i guess it will be available when i come back from Keiv Moc.

lol, Raven is pretty cool, and funny heh

how far i am in the game 'til its end?

all the characters in my party are at level 25 and my playing time is 14 hours, am i doing good?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
intheinbetween said:
yes, i saw that speed shoes in the store at Dahngrest, but i didn't notice the other special item, i guess it will be available when i come back from Keiv Moc.

lol, Raven is pretty cool, and funny heh

how far i am in the game 'til its end?

all the characters in my party are at level 25 and my playing time is 14 hours, am i doing good?

It took me... I think... around 45 hours without doing many sidequests except killing the Giganto bosses.

Firestorm

Yeah you should get the Moon Selector after that dungeon. I think an enemy there might drop what you need to synth it. I beat the game at about 40 hours playing normally (very few sidequests). My game is at about 100 hours after doing the bonus dungeon and some other stuff after the game was finished.

Relix said:
It took me... I think... around 45 hours without doing many sidequests except killing the Giganto bosses.

uhm now that you mention it, i still haven't done any sidequest.

i only got the secret achievement by beating the giant monster in Caer Bocram

but i don't remember doing any sidequest, strange.

Firestorm

If you're not going to do a second playthrough, I'd really recommend following the first post's Spoiler Free Secret Mission guide. I also have what you have to do to unlock the secret dungeon in there. Secret Dungeon IS missable.

Llyranor

Gatt was the first boss that forced me to toggle the diff down from hard to normal.

The second may have been that boss in the
forest that kept recovering 20,000 hp to drinking from that pond, which I was somehow unable to prevent despite putting traps in front of it
. I think those have been the only 2 so far, don't remember (also, all the scenes where Yuri is alone - no intention of repeating unskippable cutscenes!).

thanks again firestorm.

i still don't know if i'll try a second run, but i'm having a hell of fun with this game, maybe i'll give it another run, but right now i don't feel like following any faq or walkthrough guide.

one thing i love about ToV is its voice acting and dialogues between the characters, they're so funny, i've laughed several times and i love that in any game. even though, i wish all the dialogues between the characters had voice acting, because sometimes it feels lifeless without it.

anyway, does ToV use the same cell-shading engine Namco used with Naruto NS? i don't remember Eternal Sonata being this pretty, i think it's closer to Naruto NS's cell shading graphics.

Kyuubi

I have a quick question about the ex dungeon. I missed the event that unlocks the ex dungeon on my second play through. Will I be able to see it on my second play through and unlock it on my 3rd run or am I screwed?

Zeouterlimits said:
I'm in love with the end battle scene of Estelle & Rita doing a high-five.
Makes me smile every time I see it, wonderfully cute.

so do i. i also love some of the end battle scenes between Yuri and Estelle, they're so funny, as well as Yuri and Karol's ones.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
I like all the characters so far, they are all fun in their own way, and still no annoying characters, yet, wich is rare in a RPG. I also love the little skits, so much fun.

Oh, and Rita is awesome.

Coxswain

For all the new people, since it's one of the most important items in the game and you can get (temporarily) shut out from it if you don't make it right away, make sure you get the Moon Selector (lets you switch your active character in battle) as soon as possible.

To craft it, you need one Insect Horn, and two Red Lens. Once you get to an area called Keiv Moc, Insect Horns drop from (I believe) a big stag beetle looking kind of enemy. The Assassins with the red eyes are the ones who drop Red Lens, and if you don't have two of them by then, keep walking on the world map past Keiv Moc, and you'll come to an area where you can fight as many of them as you want.

Again, it's not absolutely necessary, but it's a huge help to be able to switch manual control over to, say, Estelle, so you can run away if there's a big enemy rape-train bearing down on her or to do Overlimit mass-Resurrection, or really anybody who you might want to control directly.

iplay5150

Just finished it last night, play time was around 45 hours with almost no sidequests completed. Maybe one day I'll run through it again for the secret missions, but I was pretty satisfied. Definately my favorite current gen JRPG so far.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Hey guys is there any reason not to see my weapons and armor once I get more powerful ones? Just wanted to make sure.

And also, are the side-quests story related or do they tend to be for picking up better equipment/items? I tend to only like doing side-quests that add to the story. I pretty much only plan on doing one run through of the game...too many other games on my backlog that I want to get through this summer before all the big Fall titles hit. :lol

Firestorm

henhowc said:
Hey guys is there any reason not to see my weapons and armor once I get more powerful ones? Just wanted to make sure.

And also, are the side-quests story related or do they tend to be for picking up better equipment/items? I tend to only like doing side-quests that add to the story. I pretty much only plan on doing one run through of the game...too many other games on my backlog that I want to get through this summer before all the big Fall titles hit. :lol
There's only really one I remember adding much to the story and that can be done after you finish the game. If you're doing only one playthrough and care about achievements at all (or the bonus dungeon) just read the spoiler-free guide in the first post. Reference back to it each time you hit a boss as that's the only time you'll need it.

Looking forward to playing this now that I will have my 360 tomorrow. I hate to ask, but would anyone be willing to sell their copy to me when they finish?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
wooooow, recently started playing this game, installed it immediately and haven't even tried it off the disc, there is no loading at all, that's so awesome.

screen just fades out then fades back in. Compared to Tales of the Abyss (which i also recently re-played) this is a relief, the load times in that game were KILLER.

S. L.

Kandrick said:
I like all the characters so far, they are all fun in their own way, and still no annoying characters, yet, wich is rare in a RPG. I also love the little skits, so much fun.

Oh, and Rita is awesome.
love the skits :D
snarky girls combo with Rita and Judith is the best <3

Tonza

It's pretty hard to pick the ones to your main party because all the characters are great.

I guess I'll have to play through this second time. :)

Im only about 10 hours in my first playthrough though.

starsky

My copy of this game is shipping! I can't wait to finally play it.

Is there a good website guide out there that is both spoil-free and comprehensive? I'm asking a lot I know :lol

Wizpig

I still can't believe it's finally here... man... i'm finished with my school exams and today Vesperia from Game UK, so good.

2 or 3 dumb questions incoming, anyway:

- How do you walk with another character? i want to walk as Estelle :(
- I downloaded those 2 skills packs from the marketplace, i used them when i already had Yuri and Estellise in the party but i don't see new skills for the two... hm. why?
- In order to quit the game do you just Save and manually return to the dashboard with Xbox Guide -> Y or is there a better option to do so?

Wizpig said:
I still can't believe it's finally here... man... i'm finished with my school exams and today Vesperia from Game UK, so good.

2 or 3 dumb questions incoming, anyway:

- How do you walk with another character? i want to walk as Estelle :(
- I downloaded those 2 skills packs from the marketplace, i used them when i already had Yuri and Estellise in the party but i don't see new skills for the two... hm. why?
- In order to quit the game do you just Save and manually return to the dashboard with Xbox Guide -> Y or is there a better option to do so?
- You need an item you find later in the game. I forget what it's called at the moment, but you'll have to synthesize for it.
- Are you sure you're looking in the skills menu and not the arte one? Find them and turn them on by making them green.
- Once you save you can turn it off any way you like. There's no "best way".

Wizpig

Thanks guys... yeah, i was looking in the wrong spot for those skills.
Anyway i already lost the first achievement, linked to the first boss... i'm 3 hours in and 0 achievements...

Coxswain

henhowc said:

Don't sell your weapons, ever. Quite a few of them are unique, so you can't get another if you don't learn the skills attached to them, and you need some of them to synthesize into different weapons that also have unique skills attached to them.

Speaking of which, Karol's starting weapon can be synthesized into two different weapons. Synthesize it into the weaker of the two first to learn those skills, and then you can synthesize that one into the stronger one so you don't miss out on any. If you skip right to the stronger one, you can't get it back. I don't think they're really important skills, but if that kind of stuff bugs you, it's something to watch out for.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Coxswain said:
Don't sell your weapons, ever. Quite a few of them are unique, so you can't get another if you don't learn the skills attached to them, and you need some of them to synthesize into different weapons that also have unique skills attached to them.

Speaking of which, Karol's starting weapon can be synthesized into two different weapons. Synthesize it into the weaker of the two first to learn those skills, and then you can synthesize that one into the stronger one so you don't miss out on any. If you skip right to the stronger one, you can't get it back. I don't think they're really important skills, but if that kind of stuff bugs you, it's something to watch out for.

Thanks for the heads up. I just made it to Torim Harbor...am I supposed to be already be able to synthesize stuff? Maybe I just missed the tutorial or something?

CAW

Quick question:

I just talked with Phaeroh about Estellise causing a disturbance within the aer each time she uses her abilities and am now in Aspio looking for information about the town of Myorzo.

I have about 27 hours into the game so far (loving every minute) and I was just curious if someone could give me an estimate on what percentage that might be. Percentage completed. Just curious.

Thanks.

daycru

Just started last night. Had to put it on easy for the crazy guy in the castle, a very tough battle for the first boss fight.

Tamanon

Banned
CAW said:
Quick question:

I just talked with Phaeroh about Estellise causing a disturbance within the aer each time she uses her abilities and am now in Aspio looking for information about the town of Myorzo.

I have about 27 hours into the game so far (loving every minute) and I was just curious if someone could give me an estimate on what percentage that might be. Percentage completed. Just curious.

Thanks.

I'd say you're about 40% done. You've still got a long way to go in part 2 and then a whole third part.

And daycru: If you had to switch to easy for the first boss, then you're definitely going to want to switch to easy for the 2nd one.:lol The key to fights on Normal mode is learning to block first, attack second. Not only does it greatly reduce the incoming damage to Yuri, but it also lets you do more combos without interruption.

Wizpig

daycru said:
Just started last night. Had to put it on easy for the crazy guy in the castle, a very tough battle for the first boss fight.
Yeah, i beat him at my third or fourth attempt at Normal, but what's REALLY TOUGH is an achievement for beating him in a certain way... i didn't unlock it :(
I just unlocked my first achievement now, "Special Mission 2".

There's also a thing that bugs me: i obviously used lots of Apple Gel, but it is still marked as "New"... don't really get why.

Ah yes, i also checked on the leaderboards the fastest game completion and a guy has beat the game in 11 hours... what the...

Tamanon

Banned
Wizpig said:
Yeah, i beat him at my third or fourth attempt at Normal, but what's REALLY TOUGH is an achievement for beating him in a certain way... i didn't unlock it :(
I just unlocked my first achievement now, "Special Mission 2".

There's also a thing that bugs me: i obviously used lots of Apple Gel, but it is still marked as "New"... don't really get why.

Ah yes, i also checked on the leaderboards the fastest game completion and a guy has beat the game in 11 hours... what the...

I'm pretty sure you can hold a button down to just speed through dialogue and skip cutscenes.

And the New section of the items is listing any item you get recently, since you get Apple Gels all the time throughout the game(love that Tales design decision, just make healing items scale), it'll generally be in the new section.

Firestorm

Press A+X to fast-forward through dialog. The 11 is the second playthrough. There's an achievement for finishing it in under 15 hours. Not too hard when using A+X and 10x experience as well as carrying over your old stuff.

Just got picked up by
Judith
and am glad the pace is picking up. About an hour before all this happened (in the forest) I was getting pretty frustrated by the ..sameyness(?) of each dungeon. Hell each city seemed to have the same mantra each time:
1. Arrive at a city
2. Conveniently have to visit the Dungeon to get something for the city
3. Return to the city for plot development
Have to see how things go from here...

Tamanon

Banned
Actually you're about to hit the part where it's City ----> Dungeon on way to other city -----> City for a while, switches the pace up, takes on a more FFX pace of shit going down as you're traveling.

Judith is awesome, I wish I could learn how to actually use her, because she is a comboing machine. Plus Raven gets a skill later on that gives him big stat bonuses for each girl in the party, making my team of Yuri, Judith, Rita, Raven amazing.

Top Bottom