• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

deviljho

Holy crap.

Stop trolling,

LOL. c'mon...

lcu-surprisedkkcm.gif

Yeah its always the best not to listen to customers. Most of the compa ies that ignore customers usually do well

They did listen to their customers. Their customers didn't buy the Wii U in large enough numbers. Their customers spoke loud and clear. So a better decision had to be made. Ubisoft made it. If you're insinuating that it's better to run your business based on the opinions/whims of a vocal minority, enjoy never running a successful business.

Stop trolling, At least at the moment miiverse is only accesible through wiiu.

That's not trolling. That's being astounded by the fact that multiple people think the best way to run a business is to do what the customers want and ignore the people that actually know what they're doing.

farnham

Banned
They did listen to their customers. Their customers didn't buy the Wii U in large enough numbers. Their customers spoke loud and clear. So a better decision had to be made. Ubisoft made it. If you're insinuating that it's better to run your business based on the opinions/whims of a vocal minority, enjoy never running a successful business.

Yeah right. The customers are going to buy the game at the month of GTA and Zelda WW release .. That is sooo going to happen. The game is going to bomb hard and will be in the bargain bin fast and you know it.

Glass Joe

Lots of business majors up in here. How much of that would be lost to licensing fees, taxes, marketing budgets, shipping costs etc etc? How many of those sigs are duplicates? How many are sigs from people with no intention to ever buy the game new? I'm still going to go with Ubisoft on this that they know their business better than we do.

Aren't you one of the people who said you'd buy Rayman Legends in February? Yet I'm aware of your opinion, so I know you didn't sign.

So, how can you conclude that 7,500 signatures means only 7,500 sales, when you admitted yourself that would have bought in Feb? Surely others would buy too.

Glass Joe

Anybody who will make vocal their opinion on a video game delay on the Internet is, by definition, the minority.

So if 7500+ signers voicing their opinion on the internet are the minority, doesn't it follow that many more currently silent people would buy it on launch day, too? I don't mean to twist words, just not sure I understand what you meant.

Boulayman

So if 7500+ signers voicing their opinion on the internet are the minority, doesn't it follow that many more currently silent people would buy it on launch day, too? I don't mean to twist words, just not sure I understand what you meant.

Only a minority of people will go trough the bother of voicing their concerns on a petition, entirely true. but that doesn't mean that they are not representative either ;)

I am curious though, is there really anyone here that genuinely believes that there will be more WII U version sales bc of this ?

I really don't see how that position is sustainable to be frank.

On the other hand, I do think that the multiplat move has good chances of compensating for the lost sales, hopefully.

Edit: as for the article you linked, I do sense sarcasm... I think ? Sarcasm has always been hard to detect on the internet...

That's not trolling. That's being astounded by the fact that multiple people think the best way to run a business is to do what the customers want and ignore the people that actually know what they're doing.

I'm not saying they should solely listen to fans but if these people knew what they were doing they wouldn't be in this situation in the first place, would they?

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Eh. I don't feel entitled. I feel upset.
The reason I want a WiiU is because of this game, and I was planning to pick it up with ZombiU in March.

Dang.

Yep. I really don't understand why so many people fail to get why people are upset. I couldn't care less about it being multiplatform. I care because a finished game is being delayed 7 months.

Imagine the fallout if Rockstar, three weeks from releasing GTA5 announced that even though the game is finished, they're delaying the game 7 months to make a Wii U version. The meltdowns would be incredible.

Lynd7

Yep. I really don't understand why so many people fail to get why people are upset. I couldn't care less about it being multiplatform. I care because a finished game is being delayed 7 months.

Imagine the fallout if Rockstar, three weeks from releasing GTA5 announced that even though the game is finished, they're delaying the game 7 months to make a Wii U version. The meltdowns would be incredible.

Exactly, it's not about multi platform..

Kimawolf

It's crazy there are people actually defending the non-release of the game since it's finished. It's not a good business decision when your game goes from being completely open without any competition to competing with new consoles coming in a month, GTAV, Mario, POKEMON, Zelda, and who knows what else.

But according to some sure its a good decision because there are a... few folks who may want to pick it up EVENTUALLY on the ps3/360? crazy.

EMT0

Banned

Finally someone puts it in words.

Exactly, it's not about multi platform..

That's something I don't get. Are people mad that it's multi-platform now?
Because that's rather silly.
Is the issue not the 7-months we have to wait? What the hell.
To me, it's just a delay of a game I want. Nothing else.

I'm still planning to get a WiiU, now that I know that they come in black.

Roto13

Maybe read a few posts and find out what's going on.

Lynd7

The issue is they delayed a finished game for 7 months, just to port to other consoles.

Today’s gamer is far too spoilt. We’re lucky to even know that Rayman Legends was in development, much less a release date. Indeed, the decision to make the game multi-platform isn’t one that happens on a whim. It would’ve been months in the planning until everything fell into place: the budget, the contracts, the workforce. Only once it was all sorted did the announcement happen, the only difference in this instance is that we were all let in on the announcement.
uh

Misguided

Banned
Oh no, that game I wanted is going to make more money now, with no bearing on my ability to purchase it other than when, I'm so upset, fuck them!

ohlawd

Oh no, that game I wanted is going to make more money now, with no bearing on my ability to purchase it other than when, I'm so upset, fuck them!

pay attention man, almost no one cares that it's multiplat.

Everyone's beef is delaying the game's release in 3 weeks to 7 months when the Wii U version is pretty much done.

Everyone's beef is delaying the game's release in 3 weeks to 7 months when the Wii U version is pretty much done.

And for those that care all of this being done behind the dev's back who found out the same time we did that it was getting a seven month delay, making their insane crunch time since last year more or less pointless.

Watch the video a few posts up. This Andrew Eisen guy made a funny video that has some serious truth bombs in there. Nintendo has more to worry about than exclusives, because they are unable to secure current gen multiplatform ports let alone future multiplatform support once PS4 and 720 come out. I never heard of Andrew before, but I may have to look more of his stuff up.

And for those that care all of this being done behind the dev's back who found out the same time we did that it was getting a seven month delay, making their insane crunch time since last year more or less pointless.

Alright, I get it. That makes a LOT more sense than what I assumed. My bad!

This is still messed up, though.

ohlawd

yes this too.

all that crunch time for nothing. Poor devs honestly. How this whole thing went down is messed up.

batbeg

Yes, and that is why I am upset, too.

I'm talking about individuals that are actually mad ABOUT the game releasing in other consoles.

Those individuals only exist in the arguments of those with an agenda to press. I haven't seen any single person bemoan the multiplatform decision, but I have seen several people claiming that the ninthings are in an uproar over that.

?oe?oe

1. Tell me more on how releasing the Wii U version earlier is going to affect the huge 360/PS3 install base.

2. Tell me how much they have to spend (minimum) to get the Wii U version out, and how much money will they make out of the Wii U version in the 7 months before the release of the PS3/360 versions.

3. Tell me how much they will be spending to get the other versions out in Sept and whatever marketing behind it.

4. Tell me how much copies of 360/PS3 AND Wii U versions they will expect to sell in September and the later months.

5. Tell me why being anti-consumer is ever a good thing.

It's easier for him to ignore that and pretend to be ignorant of the real anger behind the situation

Boulayman

1. Tell me more on how releasing the Wii U version earlier is going to affect the huge 360/PS3 install base.

2. how much money will they make out of the Wii U version in the 7 months before the release of the PS3/360 versions.

3. Tell me how much they will be spending to get the other versions out in Sept and whatever marketing behind it.

4. Tell me how much copies of 360/PS3 AND Wii U versions they will expect sell in September and the later months.

I think that's a fair template to follow for discussion, I just added earlier in the first question

1/ is the crux of the issue and where personally I put the Microsoft no timed exclusive against them policy into play. There is another thing linked to that you haven't mentioned, the Nintendo goodwill and the Ubi Soft loss of face. Nintendo did promote this quite a bit ( only game I was able to play at wii booths here in Montreal) and Ubi Soft had clearly said it was an exclusive and that it was supposed to be released last Xmas (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rayman-legends-is-a-wii-u-exclusive/). I wonder if we are ever going to get a statement from Nintendo about this. We did get some reactions from Sony when they lost the FF XIII exclusivity but well Rayman is no FF and I seriously doubt either Microsoft or Sony has been active at all in the Rayman case, it really seems to be a unilateral Ubi Soft decision.

2/,3 and 4/ are linked. Obviously, someone at Ubi Soft think that 4 minus 3 is significantly higher than 2, if that turns out like that, then Ubi Soft made the right call. Thing is, we'll never know given we'll never know how 2 will have turned out. And I think that's also part of the Ubi soft rationale, originally they were very eager about the Wii U and quite possibly very optimistic about what 2 would be I imagine, then they were hit in the teeth by poor sales of their games on the Wii U and seem to have decided to cut their losses. They must have gotten scared by the poor performances of ZombiU and Ac 3 on the Wii U soreduced whatever their estimate of 2 was ( there's a thread here on neogaf talking about a dev saying that some other dev told him they released a game on the WII U expecting to sell millions and only sold tens of thousands, commenters in that thread seem to think AC 3 and Zombie U are strong contenders as for the identity of that game ). Rayman on wii u will most likely still remain an added value compared to the ps360 version due to its implementation of the wii u controller so all in all the Wii U owners are not losing anything other than having to be more patient. It's Ubi Soft only that stands either to win or lose from this business decision. I, and quite a few in this thread, wouldn t have made that same business decision but we do not have all the figures so it s difficult to really know what went on behind the scenes, we can only try and make guesses.

Under which rock have you been hiding exactly?

Those individuals only exist in the arguments of those with an agenda to press. I haven't seen any single person bemoan the multiplatform decision, but I have seen several people claiming that the ninthings are in an uproar over that.

I have seen a few posts about how Ubisoft "broke their promise to Nintendo" or something. Also, before the multi-plat announcement people were swearing black and blue the game would remain exclusive.

Or course, most people thought it would probably go multiplatform given the series history, but some people were hanging their hat on this game as a high profile exclusive.

In any case, people would be disappointed but not THIS outraged if there were a bunch of other games to play on the Wii U in the next few months. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of games being finished on one platform but being delayed for a simultaneous multi-plat release. Usually the games are already in development for the other platform, and usually the delays aren't this long, but has happened before to a decidedly more muted reaction than this...

4df0c322-02e1-4b76-8a14-636cbbddaacb_zps8501d323.jpg

That's camelcamelcamel tracking the price of Rayman Origins on Amazon. Now that screen shot only goes back to Nov 29th. So it's been out a little over 3 weeks and is still a $60 game at that time. Somewhere in December that price drops in HALF, it hasn't even been two months an the game is already $30.

I'd really like to see Ubisoft explain the logic behind this move. You've been the face of the WiiU in retail stores with the only Demo that sells the gamepad feature. You have the only demo on the eShop. There's no competition right now but three weeks before it's release you delay the game so it can face GTA and the rest of the holiday lineup. How will this turn out different than Rayman Origins for Ubisoft?

I have seen a few posts about how Ubisoft "broke their promise to Nintendo" or something. Also, before the multi-plat announcement people were swearing black and blue the game would remain exclusive.

Or course, most people thought it would probably go multiplatform given the series history, but some people were hanging their hat on this game as a high profile exclusive.
I just assumed the game would eventually go multiplatform since the leaked concept video from early last year said it would be available for more than the Wii U, though I don't think I'm alone in thinking a 2D platformer is going to sell far more on a Nintendo console than a Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony one which gave some credibility to the idea Legends would stay exclusive for at least half a year.

4df0c322-02e1-4b76-8a14-636cbbddaacb_zps8501d323.jpg

That's camelcamelcamel tracking the price of Rayman Origins on Amazon. Now that screen shot only goes back to Nov 29th. So it's been out a little over 3 weeks and is still a $60 game at that time. Somewhere in December that price drops in HALF, it hasn't even been two months an the game is already $30.

I'd really like to see Ubisoft explain the logic behind this move. You've been the face of the WiiU in retail stores with the only Demo that sells the gamepad feature. You have the only demo on the eShop. There's no competition right now but three weeks before it's release you delay the game so it can face GTA and the rest of the holiday lineup. How will this turn out different than Rayman Origins for Ubisoft?
Maybe if/when Legends bombs Ubisoft will promise Ancel they'll let him finish BG&E2? God is that a cruel running joke:

BG&E gets zero advertising and bombs horribly: "Why don't you direct Rayman 4?"
Rayman 4 gets turned into a party game where Rayman is shoved into the background, with little of Ancel's involvement: "Don't worry, we'll let you make BG&E2 now!"
BG&E2's development flounders and gets little support form Ubi: "Okay okay, how about another 2D Rayman game?"
Origins underperforms, partially due to its release date and partially due to a lack of serious marketting: "Well how about a direct Rayman sequel?"
Legends bombs: "... A Rayman alt-costume in Assassins Creed 4?"

I just assumed the game would eventually go multiplatform since the leaked concept video from early last year said it would be available for more than the Wii U, though I don't think I'm alone in thinking a 2D platformer is going to sell far more on a Nintendo console than a Microsoft or (to a lesser extent) Sony one which gave some credibility to the idea Legends would stay exclusive for at least half a year.

Yep, I was pretty well convinced it would come out on the other consoles eventually after the concept video as well. I was expceting a timed exclusive.

But... I'm not so sure it would necessarily sell better on a Nintendo console. Do we know what the sales breakdown on Origins was? That would probably be a decent indicator.

Under which rock have you been hiding exactly?

Hilariously, none. I wasn't paying much attention to the console until recently, as I was busy with work, and I went on a classic gaming "quest", so to speak.

I actually have not seen a Deluxe set in person. Only Basic ones, which I believe only come in white.

So...yeah. I feel pretty dumb. lol

Boulayman

In any case, people would be disappointed but not THIS outraged if there were a bunch of other games to play on the Wii U in the next few months. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of games being finished on one platform but being delayed for a simultaneous multi-plat release. Usually the games are already in development for the other platform, and usually the delays aren't this long, but has happened before to a decidedly more muted reaction than this...

I don't know if you remember the FF XIII annoucement ? It was far bigger than this and quite a few people were convinced that the ps3 version was being held back because of the efforts Square Enix will have had to make to port the game and their engine to the 360. And all this despite Square Enix saying that they had been working on porting the game for months before the annoucement. Here, the devs were up to a few weeks ago all excited to have their game released soon. This here is actually quite muted in comparison to FF XIII or even GTA before that (urban legend says that Microsoft paid 75 millions for). But those were far higher profile games. Heck there were a lot of fanboy tears shed in the early years of the ps3 due to a trend of perceived loss of exclusive for various games but in the Rayman case, I actually haven't seen that at all. I have only seen frustration about the delay here ( though I am quite sure there are some who are upset about it going multiplat at all, but wtv those ppl think)

I do believe Nintendo was blindsided by this. The french nintendo page still claims that rayman legends is a Wii U exclusive and well Ubi Soft and Ancel are french so you'd think Nintendo France would be the first to react / know about this.

http://www.nintendo.fr/Jeux/Wii-U/Rayman-Legends-592895.html

I don't know if you remember the FF XIII annoucement ? It was far bigger than this and quite a few people were convinced that the ps3 version was being held back because of the efforts Square Enix will have had to make to port the game and their engine to the 360. And all this despite Square Enix saying that they had been working on porting the game for months before the annoucement. Here, the devs were up to a few weeks ago all excited to have their game released soon. This here is actually quite muted in comparison to FF XIII or even GTA before that (urban legend says that Microsoft paid 75 millions for). But those were far higher profile games. Heck there were a lot of fanboy tears shed in the early years of the ps3 due to a trend of perceived loss of exclusive for various games but in the Rayman case, I actually haven't seen that at all. I have only seen frustration about the delay here ( though I am quite sure there are some who are upset about it going multiplat at all, but wtv those ppl think)

I do believe Nintendo was blindsided by this. The french nintendo page still claims that rayman legends is a Wii U exclusive and well Ubi Soft and Ancel are french so you'd think Nintendo France would be the first to react / know about this.

Yeah, Final Fantasy and GTA were huge. Those are very high profile titles, much more so than Rayman. Most of the flip outs there were about them going multi-plat, not about any perceived delays. But, they were quite different cases than this.

But what about when Turok was delayed for 4 months so they could bring the PS3 version up to parity? Did anyone really care then? Or when Sony sat on Killzone 2 for several months after development was complete? I don't recall much in the way of outrage.

Top Bottom