• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Well you do sound like you know your stuff but I wouldn't say that answer is the most constructive contribution I have seen from you today. He does raise an interesting point with the price cuts. I actually had a pretty hard time finding my copy of origins for the ps3 as best buy/fshop cut the price in pure Ubi Soft fashion quite fast and then stopped carrying it ( the 360 and Wii one too but I guess they had more in stock), I was only able to find it recently through pure luck in a walmart bargain bin.

There's just no reason to be insulting or be rude, it's not like I have an agenda or I'm misleading people. Just trying to provide a little insight behind the iron curtain, but maybe I've been posting too much lately because I've started to notice some vitriol on this particular topic across a few threads. I'll just stay out of it!

I think I know a little bit more about what I'm talking about then you do.

Quite honestly YOU don't know shit. Many people here have made excellent points only to be talked down to by you. Can you deny that EVERY SINGLE demo kiosk in America has Rayman Legends in it at this very moment - and since before launch? And that in many of them it's the ONLY playable game? That smells like a sweet deal for Ubisoft to me. That Nintendo allowed a third party game to showcase the Wii U tells me Nintendo did more than its fair share of promotion.

When Rayman Origins came out the sales of the game was a disaster. It went from $49.99 to $29.99 to $19.99 in a matter of weeks. I know because I bought it at full price, didn't have time to open it (holiday season and lots of other games to play) and when it dropped I went back - returned the game and repurchased it and got the difference refunded back to me. I don't know what the final lifetime sales are for the game - but I'm willing to bet the majority came at that discounted price. Sure, they made money on the game in the long run, but not without heavy discounting.

So, here we are, February 2013 with no Wii U games coming out at all until March. Ubisoft had the shelf space all to themselves for this game. They wouldn't even have to advertise its release - customers would see a new game on the shelf and impulse-buy. Or they already had it reserved after playing the demo in stores or through the e-Shop. These are people ready to spend the $59.99 full price on the game. By delaying the game (a finished one at that) 7 months, they are pushing it into an environment that will most likely be very different on the Wii U. There will be more titles on the shelves to compete with, and less disposable income for Wii U owners planning to buy the majority of Nintendo's 1st party lineup. They miss out on the tax return spending that would occur now, piss off a lot of fans that were anticipating the release, and release the game into a much higher competitive market.

I completely agree with the multiplatform choice. Bring it to the PS3 and 360. Great! Delaying the Wii U version makes very little financial sense and flies in the face of common sense. It's a PR disaster that will cost them more than just a few dollars - it'll cost them goodwill amongst its customers - and that can't be regained by putting out a "new exclusive demo" that was just announced today.

Have I written anything that hasn't already been brought up? Probably not, but I was getting tired of seeing people defend Ubisoft's decision to delay the Wii U version. It seems like Ubisoft is Lucy, and Wii U owners are Charlie Brown trying to kick the football.

Another demo? Bad attempt to clean up the mess. I think they even add fuel to the fire. I just checked Miiverse and Facebook and there is rage everythere. They never ever expected such a backlash. What a huge PR disaster.

I agree, they had no idea the backlash would be this strong.

An exclusive demo??? I dont care what the hell they mean by that but there is already an exclusive demo right now on WiiU. Its not on PS360.

haha, it's true

farnham

Banned
Just like nobody wants to buy Arkham City for $60 now, because you can get it for $10 on 360/PS3. No one will want to pay $60 for a game that came out 7 months earlier somewhere else.

Tbh with GTA out in september its better for them to release it as a budget title on ps360. I bet a few people wouod pay full price for the wiiu release if they release it now though

Just like nobody wants to buy Arkham City for $60 now, because you can get it for $10 on 360/PS3. No one will want to pay $60 for a game that came out 7 months earlier somewhere else.

are you joking? that is not a fair comparison in the slightest. PS3/360 owners aren't going to get a game in sept because they could have spent (potentially) $400 to get it 7 months earlier?

Tbh with GTA out in september its better for them to release it as a budget title on ps360. I bet a few people wouod pay full price for the wiiu release if they release it now though

I suggested yesterday that they could release a GOTY edition for the 360/PS3 this fall at $40. Just throw in a handful of new levels, and done. I can't imagine such an offering would sell any worse than the current plan.

zewone

are you joking? that is not a fair comparison in the slightest. PS3/360 owners aren't going to get a game in sept because they could have spent (potentially) $400 to get it 7 months earlier?

This game will receive more revenue selling to a larger install base as a new title on 3 platforms instead of selling to one now that has a small install base and later as a budget title.

EDIT: At least, I imagine this is Ubisoft's reasoning. Nobody here knows for sure how it will sell.

It wouldn't have to be a budget title. It would be an enhanced version, full price, with more content. give it exclusive online multi and more levels that original WiiU adopters will need to buy as DLC

Boulayman

There's just no reason to be insulting or be rude, it's not like I have an agenda or I'm misleading people. Just trying to provide a little insight behind the iron curtain, but maybe I've been posting too much lately because I've started to notice some vitriol on this particular topic across a few threads. I'll just stay out of it!

I don't believe I was rude ? I was politely calling you out for being too abrasive in your reply to that other guy when you just said ' I know better than you cause I know better than you', at least that's how it came across to me. If you felt my message was rude, I apologize for the offense.

GlassBox

Banned
If Ubi doesn't want to spend the money on packaging, retail space and marketing, then just release the thing on the eShop first and then release the packaged version with the others later. Use it as an experiment in Miiverse advertising and Wii U digital download rates.

LOL exclusive demo, yesssssssssssss :p

smh Ubisoft, we aren't stupid.

hell, just put the Murry levels on the original date of Feb for $10 and i would buy it, i still think thats gonna be "exclusive" to the wii u version

sd28821

Hahahaha this comments have become meme-worthy at this point.

Edit: Harker works in the industry, and from his comments most likely has contacts at Ubi.

i dunno i was pointing out the hilarity of saying i know what im talking about whilst having a tag that states other wise.

Kimawolf

Wow people doubting Harker now? WTF lol he knows more about this kind of shit than anyone else on the forum save for Ubi employees, the guy knows his stuff so if he says it, believe it.

JDSN

Banned
i dunno i was pointing out the hilarity of saying i know what im talking about whilst having a tag that states other wise.
He is an old poster, the tag is about his taste for shitty pointless sci-fi dramas. Its an honest mistake, I don't think he is aware that he stopped posting here for a long time.

NotLiquid

Wow people doubting Harker now? WTF lol he knows more about this kind of shit than anyone else on the forum save for Ubi employees, the guy knows his stuff so if he says it, believe it.

I wouldn't question him so much as I question the thought process of whoever behind closed doors thought this entire fiasco was a good idea.

sd28821

I think its more of a case of not liking or caring about the reasons why and being fed up that people are telling them not to be annoyed when they have every right to be as it being business does nothing to help them play them game at the promised time.

I'm sure he knows a ton, but he did also say that this version that will finds its way to PS3/360 would have 'no new assets' when that will not be the case. they can easily bill it as the definitive version of the game release across all three, maybe only charge $50, and then offer early WiiU adopters some DLC to gain feature parity

sd28821

I'm sure he knows a ton, but he did also say that this version that will finds its way to PS3/360 would have 'no new assets' when that will not be the case. they can easily bill it as the definitive version of the game release across all three, maybe only charge $50, and then offer early WiiU adopters some DLC to gain feature parity

this makes more sense to me than what there doing

Will this really hurt the overall sales of the game?

I'm very bummed out the game is delayed. I just don't know why Ubisoft didn't wait five months after the Wii U releases than announce it for other platforms. Makes no sense. It wouldn't be a big deal because those who don't want a Wii U won't buy one just for this game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
He is an old poster, the tag is about his taste for shitty pointless sci-fi dramas. Its an honest mistake, I don't think he is aware that he stopped posting here for a long time.

Hey watch your mouth ;)

Actually, you all need to work on your reading comprehension. I'm not sure when or by who, but recently my LOST-inspired tag was actually edited!

Edit:
For clarity, I meant no new marketing assets. I have no idea if the games will be the same or different! Also, I'm not taking any sides on whether or not that anything is a good or bad "call," I'm just discussing buisness

guek

Banned

Harker isn't giving info here, he's rationalizing ubisoft's actions. One is objective, the other subjective.

There are rational reasons why Ubisoft made this move. However, I reject the notion that it was the right move just because it's possible to rationalize it. There are also legitimate reasons why this could potentially do more damage to the product's sales than help them.

NotLiquid

Will this really hurt the overall sales of the game?

I'm very bummed out the game is delayed. I just don't know why Ubisoft didn't wait five months after the Wii U releases than announce it for other platforms. Makes no sense. It wouldn't be a big deal because those who don't want a Wii U won't buy one just for this game.

People won't buy a Wii U for the game, no. But that doesn't mean that a massive amount of Wii U owners wouldn't have bought the game. It's something that would've been released in the launch window when the console is still "relevant news". People want games to play on their new system, they'll buy pretty much whatever catches their eye that way. It's what made Rayman 3D actually sell decently on the 3DS.

We can really rationalize all we want but having the Wii U version release in September does that version absolutely no favors, and personally I see few reasons as to why it wouldn't have been preferable now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
How about the gaming sites and magazines ? Wouldn't the game get much more attention now, as the first "big game" of 2013 for Wii U than in September when GTA will be the star? or this is also up to the marketing "assets" and budgets?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Nintendo ought to release Wind Waker HD on the same day this releases. Show Ubisoft how to really play this game.

How about the gaming sites and magazines ? Wouldn't the game get much more attention now, as the first "big game" of 2013 for Wii U than in September when GTA will be the star? or this is also up to the marketing "assets" and budgets?

Marketing "assets" is more of a well greased excuse rather than a real reason. Considering the size of Ubisoft, the budget of the game, the forecasted revenue and costs from two different timed ports it's reasonable to assume this is a drop in the bucket. Do we have any other examples of this release behavior with other Ubi titles to compare to? If the game did reasonably well on Wii U in the first three months and had a 90% metacritic rating I highly doubt marketing assets in the midst of GTAV and next-gen consoles really mean that much. It'd be different if we were talking about a Indie developer, but this is Ubisoft, and compared to how much money they spend on marketing per title I really doubt Rayman would be getting a fraction of that love. No matter the release date or number of ports.

I think the September date from a money making standpoint, not necessarily from a money saving standpoint is pure idiocy.

Harker isn't giving info here, he's rationalizing ubisoft's actions. One is objective, the other subjective.

There are rational reasons why Ubisoft made this move. However, I reject the notion that it was the right move just because it's possible to rationalize it. There are also legitimate reasons why this could potentially do more damage to the product's sales than help them.

Exactly. Just because you understand why a move was made doesn't make it the right move. In this case, it was clearly the wrong one. The negative feedback has been really strong, and rightfully so. You don't delay a finished game this close to release on a system that's experiencing a drought. Pure and simple. Even if it costs you some extra money in the long run, the backlash won't be worth it.

Megatron

Exactly. Just because you understand why a move was made doesn't make it the right move. In this case, it was clearly the wrong one. The negative feedback has been really strong, and rightfully so. You don't delay a finished game this close to release on a system that's experiencing a drought. Pure and simple. Even if it costs you some extra money in the long run, the backlash won't be worth it.
what does the system draught have to do with ubisoft? Ubisoft doesn't owe it to you to release a game on the wiiU because Nintendo doesn't have their shit together and can't release anything.
its Nintendo's job to support the wiiU its ubisofts job to make money selling their games.

Well, there seems to have been extreme crunch time to get demos ready for big events last year that maybe made some parts of the game rushed or the creative vision gimped.

Maybe with this long delay, the game can be fine-tuned and original visions accomplished?
...Or will it just stay "finished" and stagnate until release?

Nevertheless, Ancel is on board with this in seemingly the same role(s) he had for Origins, so the end product should be nice.

Well, there seems to have been extreme crunch time to get demos ready for big events last year that maybe made some parts of the game rushed or the creative vision gimped.

Maybe with this long delay, the game can be fine-tuned and original visions accomplished?
...Or will it just stay "finished" and stagnate until release?

Nevertheless, Ancel is on board with this in seemingly the same role(s) he had for Origins, so the end product should be nice.

Cmon-Son.gif

I was thinking, that everything actually makes a lot of sense; 26 of Feb was actually the release date of the Wii U exclusive DEMO, and not the game; all those Wii U logos in the teasers meant that the demos would stay exclusive; yes, yes, it was all planned

If Ubi doesn't want to spend the money on packaging, retail space and marketing, then just release the thing on the eShop first and then release the packaged version with the others later. Use it as an experiment in Miiverse advertising and Wii U digital download rates.

Now that's interesting. I wonder if that option was even talked about at the board table. Even if it wasn't that would be a respectable means of damage control while still getting their way.

An eshop stealth launch now for the early adopters and then a larger retail marketing push once all three were ready in Sept.

Someone get Ubi on the phone!

hatchx

Banned
I know this won't do anything, but I just sent an email to Ubi Soft (to the Press contacts on their corporate site) with the following text:

"Hey contacts at Ubi Soft corporate,

Please forward this message to the appropriate party.

The other day you guys announced that Rayman Legends was going to be delayed until September in order to be multiplatform. Not even two days later, the developer came out and admitted that the game is done, they had worked hard to finish it, and they are upset that it won't be released.

It just seems like a painfully bad business choice.

1) The game was developed for the Wii U, demo'd as a Wii U launch game, and publicized heavily. It doesn't have a lot of competition on the console, especially with a February release.

2) A port to Xbox 360/PS3 is great news, but I don't see why the finished version needs a delay.

3) Did you guys notice that GTAV is coming out the same month you delayed Rayman to? Did you notice that next-generation system are coming a month or two later?

It is a poor decision, and as a multi-console owner who was looking forward to Rayman Legends, I am very disappointed and I feel like Ubi Soft has slapped Nintendo-consoles in the face over this decision. It shows a lack of faith in your original decision, and a blatant disrespect for your developers hard efforts when you should be celebrating their hard work with the release.

I don't care that it's non-exclusive and coming to other systems (that's great news), but to needlessly delay a finished game in order to shoe favouritism to other consoles....well that just isn't a consumer-friendly choice at all.

It's not going to sell very well in September, and I don't think anyone would argue that. A release on Wii U in February would have no effect on sales of a PS3/360 version.

You are literally holding a game hostage in order to be release multiplatform, and I'm so appalled by the decision I had to send this email.

I won't be purchasing Rayman Legends in September, where I would have purchased it day 1 on February 26.

thanks for your time,

I think it's important we let them know how we feel. This is such a bastardized, anti-consumer decision I had to send this.

Megatron

It's difficult to do this if you're withholding a finished game for half a year.

Why? It will still come out. If it comes out in seven months, or it comes out now, what's the difference? Except that the WiiU will have a larger user base. And it can have a simultaneous debut on 2 consoles with much bigger user bases. Sure it could release now, then in 7 months 360 and PS3 users can turn their noses up at getting an 'old port'. I really think this will help the game sell the best it can. It sucks, I want it now, but it will almost certainly help the game in the long run, IMO.

Bagu

Why? It will still come out. If it comes out in seven months, or it comes out now, what's the difference? Except that the WiiU will have a larger user base. And it can have a simultaneous debut on 2 consoles with much bigger user bases. Sure it could release now, then in 7 months 360 and PS3 users can turn their noses up at getting an 'old port'. I really think this will help the game sell the best it can. It sucks, I want it now, but it will almost certainly help the game in the long run, IMO.
Yes, pissing off people who where going to buy the game in a few weeks just so they can go up against GTA and whatever other surprises September holds is going to do wonders for game's sales.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
CORPORATE CONTACTS
Ubisoft Entertainment
28 rue Armand Carrel
93100 Montreuil sous Bois
France
Corporate Reps:
Tel : +33 (0) 1 48 18 50 00
Fax : +33 (0) 1 48 18 52 82

Let's fax them some stuff.

ahm998

Ubisoft can solve this very easy .

make special advertising for Rayman legend with apologize and release it on same day as before.

Make gift DLC for Wii U owner .

otherwise Wii U owner will make this ver. fail.

ahm998

CORPORATE CONTACTS
Ubisoft Entertainment
28 rue Armand Carrel
93100 Montreuil sous Bois
France
Corporate Reps:
Tel : +33 (0) 1 48 18 50 00
Fax : +33 (0) 1 48 18 52 82

Let's fax them some stuff.

I want their Email is it possible?!

relaxor

what?

Because we experience time in a linear manner, with the present moving forward to meet the future. Let's say it's almost dinnertime and the food will be ready in ten minutes. You're hungry. Then you find out dinner will actually take two and a half hours. Relative to your position in the slowly unfolding present, it matters a great deal.

stalker

I just got an email from amazon.es, about the great new platformer coming to Wii U on Febr 28th. I guess they did not get the memo. Maybe amazon is too small a retailer for Ubisoft.

This has been a terrible decision from Ubi, no spin is possible. I do not even have a Wii U, so I can imagine how those who have the game preordered must feel. I will speak with my wallet, that is for sure.

The exclusive demo thing is so bad PR that it feels almost intentional.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Contact Information To Voice Your Opinion:
-------------------------------------------------------------------
United States:
Michael Beadle
PR Associate Director
michael.beadle@ubisoft.com
WorldWide HQ:
Michael Burk
Corporate Communications Manager
michael.burk@ubisoft.com
Find your local contact here: https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/p...s_contact.aspx
The Petition: http://www.change.org/petitions/ubis...-for-the-wii-u
Twitter: #FreeRayman
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ubisoft
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ubisoft/videos?query=rayman+legends
MiiVerse: UPlay Community

Roelatie

I cant understand Ubisoft. Ofcourse, Wii U didnt make their forecast. Then if you arent happy with the installed base, let Nintendo know you are thinking of going multiplatform beacause of the lower installed base. Maybe Nintendo will pay some of the cost. Now Nintendo lost his exclusive which leads to people not selling a Wii U for this game and wait for the PS3/360 version.

Now the damage for Nintendo and Ubisoft is extreme.

The Microsoft exclusive deal could have also worked because the game on Wii U is a different experience then the HD brothers.

At least we are getting a " exclusive demo" . should be the whole game in 1 demo.

farnham

Banned
I can confirm that nintendo did a lot to promote rayman. I was in NYC for christmas and the nintendo world store (which i visited every day for two weeks almost) had half of the wiiu demo stations in the second floor with rayman. Same with the wiiu demostations i saw in best buy or gamestop

What's his email? I believe if he receives thousands of requests to reconsider, we may have our chance.

They all seem to have @ubisoft.com in their mail.

i tried yves.guillemot it seems it is the pattern used in the company. So far no return, the mail has gotten somewhere.

Besides, I mailed their press service, choose the one you want to yell at here :
https://www.ubisoftgroup.com/en-us/press/press_contact.aspx

I really am not sure about Guillemot but there is nothing to loose.

Why are no major sites covering the protest to get Rayman out on time? Who is covering this story?

EuroGamer covered it in an article and GameTrailers, Invisible Walls starts off the episode talking about it. Some interesting perspectives on Invisible Walls, IMO. Ubisoft is definitely getting some poor PR out of the entire situation. It won't change anything, but at least some sites are giving them poor PR over the decision.

Hey watch your mouth ;)

Actually, you all need to work on your reading comprehension. I'm not sure when or by who, but recently my LOST-inspired tag was actually edited!

Edit:
For clarity, I meant no new marketing assets. I have no idea if the games will be the same or different! Also, I'm not taking any sides on whether or not that anything is a good or bad "call," I'm just discussing buisness
So from a business stand point you think Nintendo could've done more to keep it exclusive and on time for a feb/March release?And if so what more could they have done?

Top Bottom