• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the Rayman Legends devs aren't happy with the delay. WiiU version done?

GC|Simon

Another demo? Bad attempt to clean up the mess. I think they even add fuel to the fire. I just checked Miiverse and Facebook and there is rage everythere. They never ever expected such a backlash. What a huge PR disaster.

Pikma

Banned
Another demo? Bad attempt to clean up the mess. I think they even add fuel to the fire. I just checked Miiverse and Facebook and there is rage everythere. They never ever expected such a backlash. What a huge PR disaster.

It's not that they didn't expected it, they just didn't (and still don't) care.

farnham

Banned
delay a game that is expected to come out in 2 weeks by 6 month without a good reason and not expect backlash?
really?

i think it was a calculated thing. they want to show ps360 users that they are the real customer base for ubi.

It's not that they didn't expected it, they just didn't (and still don't) care.

or more realistically this
I think you're gonna be disappointed.

those games will all sell better than rayman. i dont really know what you are trying to say

Segnaro

They're foolish for not taking advantage of the Wii U drought period. Gamers won't be thirsty for this game in September. Bargain Bin it goes.

An exclusive demo..? Lol.

Not even going to come close to doing any sort of damage limitation for this PR disaster. You really couldn't make it up.

The only thing that's going to repair the damage done is releasing the game before September...and I can't see that happening.

I reckon they could be looking at around 100,000 less sales across several IPs if people really are going to boycott Ubisoft's software from now on. :Oo

stupid stupid stupid.

just release the wii u version as planned this month and if people want to wait for the ps3/360 versions in september, let them do that. its not that fucking hard ubisoft.

it just doesnt make any sense to me to delay the goddamn finished wii u version for another 6 months.

Bgamer90

Banned
I reckon they could be looking at around 100,000 less sales across several IPs if people really are going to boycott Ubisoft's software from now on. :Oo

Uhhh... I wouldn't say it's that many people.

Many are upset but the people who are are Wii U owners... people who are currently a minority in comparison to other console video game players.

tsab

Uhhh... I wouldn't say it's that many people.

Many are upset but the people who are are Wii U owners... people who are currently a minority in comparison to other console video game players.

what if wiiu owners also have ps360 too and boycott ubi games or buy them on bomba prices?

i know i am.

Maxxan

So there are what, 5 million Wii U's out there? And no games! And all Wii U owners are either kids or old-school gamers. If Ubisoft had played their cards right they could have sold 500k+ of this game long before we hit September.

Zomba13

So there are what, 5 million Wii U's out there? And no games! And all Wii U owners are either kids or old-school gamers. If Ubisoft had played their cards right they could have sold 500k+ of this game long before we hit September.

I don't see why they are holding off releasing the WiiU version if it's complete. Wii U gets a bunch of late ports that don't do that well so what do they do? Delay the game to release it with the other versions.
Why not let this come out this month and then let 360/PS3 have the late port? You'll get Wii U owners buying it now and the ones that don't have a Wii U will still get it when it's out on their console. As it is now they have a completed game for one platform that they aren't making money on.

Anyway, now they are porting it I expect it'll come to PC too at some point so I guess I'll wait even longer for that version.

Just release it, don't even advertise it if that's the problem. It will speak for itself being one of the few Wii U games for sale on shelves.

Gummb

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about Rayman Legends Wii U.
Why are no major sites covering the protest to get Rayman out on time? Who is covering this story?

Gummb

How does that help publishers?

What?

I didn't say it would help publishers, but I'm genuinely interested in knowing why no major site has covered the reaction of this news beyond "Wii U is doomed." You would think it would be worth a conversation or opinion piece. Hell, there is no major site that has compiled the arguments, the developer reaction, or addressed public response. It's pathetic.

Hey, Rich from IGN retweeted the petition link. That's enough.

No.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Do you think it's feasible at this time to do a "soft launch" - say, an eShop only release of the game? Then later do a b&m release, with a big marketing push for all platforms?

No. There wouldn't be any new assets to communicate if a version launched now and the next 7 months later since it's essentially the same game. History as shown this time and time again, you wont get any sales on a late port with no new assets or marketing support.

The game sold close to 2MM units world wide on all platforms. It makes better business sense to release it all at once, especially since it seems like NoA isn't spending to push the title like they probably hoped to initially

The hitler joke never gets old. The netflix one was a lot better though.

Ubi should be ashamed. Release the game. Market it in Sept when 360 and ps3 versions come out. I didn't buy a Wii u but I feel bad for the poor suckers that did!

No. There wouldn't be any new assets to communicate if a version launched now and the next 7 months later since it's essentially the same game. History as shown this time and time again, you wont get any sales on a late port with no new assets or marketing support.

The game sold close to 2MM units world wide on all platforms. It makes better business sense to release it all at once, especially since it seems like NoA isn't spending to push the title like they probably hoped to initially
wow, the origins sold 2million despite the 50k first month? If indeed it sold that much, at least making the game multiplatform totally makes sense, though of course not the delay of the Wii U version.

They could just release the game on Wii U with barely spending on the marketing, and then work for the next months to build upon the game and then market it again though.

JDSN

Banned
Why are no major sites covering the protest to get Rayman out on time? Who is covering this story?

In Doritoland journalists that report in negative feedback from a series's fanbase that imply a mistake by a publisher are frowed upon. At best we are gonna get some article calling us entitled cunts and being glad we are getting a demo.

Gummb

In Doritoland journalists that report in negative feedback from a series's fanbase that imply a mistake by a publisher are frowed upon. At best we are gonna get some article calling us entitled cunts and being glad we are getting a demo.

God, I should do the research and write a piece about the coverage of this event. This is pathetic.

Lynd7

Yes, they should be trying to grab some interviews, not that Ubisoft would likely go for that though.

I guess some journalists are treating this like no big deal, this is a big story no matter how you view it.

What?

I didn't say it would help publishers, but I'm genuinely interested in knowing why no major site has covered the reaction of this news beyond "Wii U is doomed." You would think it would be worth a conversation or opinion piece. Hell, there is no major site that has compiled the arguments, the developer reaction, or addressed public response. It's pathetic.

I was joking about the correct point JDSN made.

Gummb

I was joking about the correct point JDSN made.

My bad. I'm tired of all this nonsense. XD

I thought you were trying to defend the developers or something (which would have been fine).

the bulk of that 2MM came after a price drop, and don't you talk about NoA not spending alot to push the title. It was (and still is in some cases) the ONLY playable demo at WiiU demo stations. They have done more than enough for Ubi already in that regard. This is classless and in bad taste/faith

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
the bulk of that 2MM came after a price drop, and don't you talk about NoA not spending alot to push the title. It was (and still is in some cases) the ONLY playable demo at WiiU demo stations. They have done more than enough for Ubi already in that regard. This is classless and in bad taste/faith

I think I know a little bit more about what I'm talking about then you do.

V_Arnold

Wow, I just heard about it going multiplatform.

Hm. Ubisoft, you lack...how shall I put this. Honor. Yeah, that is the right word.
And yet, poor developers. So many gamers are ready to shout at them, boycott games, etc. It is as if the most dedicated gamers were so frustrated with their hobbies that they totally need their daily fix of delicious, dedicated anger and hatred. Why is that?

And if someone bought a system over launch titles without actually waiting for that "launch window" game to come out, that is definitely a lesson regarding impulse purchases, imho. I could have done the same for Bayonetta 2, but I am definitely waiting for that to come out.

Boulayman

I think I know a little bit more about what I'm talking about then you do.

Well you do sound like you know your stuff but I wouldn't say that answer is the most constructive contribution I have seen from you today. He does raise an interesting point with the price cuts. I actually had a pretty hard time finding my copy of origins for the ps3 as best buy/fshop cut the price in pure Ubi Soft fashion quite fast and then stopped carrying it ( the 360 and Wii one too but I guess they had more in stock), I was only able to find it recently through pure luck in a walmart bargain bin.

when you guys say you're boycotting this game, it means that you'll get it when it becomes "ubi" price point for the game after couple months right?

cuz if you're pissed, you're obviously into the game

And yet, poor developers. So many gamers are ready to shout at them, boycott games, etc. It is as if the most dedicated gamers were so frustrated with their hobbies that they totally need their daily fix of delicious, dedicated anger and hatred. Why is that?

Oops, thought this was the other Rayman Legends topic. I still feel that the anger is more aimed towards higher management and PR team.

zewone

stupid stupid stupid.

just release the wii u version as planned this month and if people want to wait for the ps3/360 versions in september, let them do that. its not that fucking hard ubisoft.

it just doesnt make any sense to me to delay the goddamn finished wii u version for another 6 months.

Just like nobody wants to buy Arkham City for $60 now, because you can get it for $10 on 360/PS3. No one will want to pay $60 for a game that came out 7 months earlier somewhere else.

Top Bottom