• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix: Death Note | Clip: L Confronts Light

DrBo42

Actor playing L is kinda killing it in this. Light is a little more generic? than the kinda already generic protagonist he is in the series. Would have to see one of his crazy internal rants to really judge it.

Aiii

So not worth it
Hm, that actually wasn't bad. Still not convinced about Light, but L seems pretty well suited for the character.

Definitely still on the "I'll give this a serious chance" side. I don't really hate that they went in their own direction rather than a 1:1 adaptation with an American setting.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The New York premiere was last night.

actor-lakeith-stanfield-attends-the-death-note-new-york-premiere-at-picture-id834118656

'L' as fuck

Not a fan of Death note, despite getting brought into the hype and watched both movies and read the manga.

That said I'm super curious about this movie. I bet they will announce part 2 soon after launch, because this sounds like something that'd be successful on Netflix.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I disliked L in the series and liked Light.

So far every trailer has made me hate Light more and more....where as L has looked stunning.

Im actually looking forward to watching this cuz hopefully Light dies a horrible death.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does the anime do a pretty good job of adapting the manga, or is it significantly different in some places? Already watched the anime, just wondering if the manga is worth a readthrough

On topic, this does look pretty good. I'm keeping my expectations in check though...

Oddish1

The thing I'm most worried about is that they make Light a sympathetic character, that kills anything interesting about him and one of the more interesting things from the anime.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Does the anime do a pretty good job of adapting the manga, or is it significantly different in some places? Already watched the anime, just wondering if the manga is worth a readthrough

On topic, this does look pretty good. I'm keeping my expectations in check though...

The later part of the story
after L's death
is super rushed in the anime. It's years since I read it I'm sure they cut a lot of stuff with Mello in particular.

Man that squatting on a chair thing looks so dumb in live action haha. Should have just skipped that no matter how much the geeks cried about its exclusion

Keith Stanfield seems good tho. But damn it's starting to feel like director really fucked up the lead casting here for Light

Oddish1

The only thing I remember off hand is that the ending has some changes but nothing significant.

_Ryo_

Actor playing "L" is spot on. I love him already.

Actor playing Light is terrible. Just what? No way this douche is believable as a criminal genius.

Aiii

So not worth it

Anime is fairly faithful.

If you want alternate takes on the story, both the two-part movie adaptation and especially the japanese tv drama take the story in new directions.

I really like what the latter did with the Near/Mello characters, they definitely did a better job in the post-L story.

zelas

Looked bad before, looks even worse from that clip. The combination of angles, cuts, and overall pacing reminds me of low rent movies from the late 90s to early 00s.

Actor playing Light is terrible. Just what? No way this douche is believable as a criminal genius.
Or his acting is brilliant. If Light doesn't want to get caught, the last thing he would do is make himself seem like a believable criminal genius in front of L.

I'm playing devil's advocate. I wasn't really feeling Light here either.

Yeah, I really like this L (judging from the short clip). Sure he looks different but he gives me the sames vibes as L in the manga and anime so that's good.

Light though just looks like a dope.

_Ryo_

Or his acting is brilliant. If Light doesn't want to get caught, the last thing he would do is make himself seem like a believable criminal genius in front of L.

I'm playing devil's advocate. I wasn't really feeling Light here either.

A criminal genius would at least try to act normal. Light is acting super sketchy here. Also the actor is just terrible.

Anime is fairly faithful.

If you want alternate takes on the story, both the two-part movie adaptation and especially the japanese tv drama take the story in new directions.

I really like what the latter did with the Near/Mello characters, they definitely did a better job in the post-L story.

Now this interests me... In my opinion that was the weakest part of the story, always seemed like there was some missing.

Thanks for the answers, all!

A criminal genius would at least try to act normal. Light is acting super sketchy here. Also the actor is just terrible.

I mean in his defense, some motherfucker in a balaclava just interrupted his sweet tunes and is sitting on a chair like an idiot

lol the squatting on the chair looks so fucking stupid. Like naruto running there is no way it's going to look good in live action.

Trickster

Everything I've seen from this so far just makes me want to go watch the anime instead.

This honestly just sounds and look so wrong when you've watched and read the anime/manga

Oddish1

lol the squatting on the chair looks so fucking stupid. Like naruto running there is no way it's going to look good in live action.

Squatting in the chair looks stupid in the manga and anime too. That's kinda the point, L's supposed to look and act off putting.

Top Bottom