• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Finished up the MG Epyon.

What is with Bandai and the occasional shitty Action Base adapters? The one for Epyon's MS mode barely keeps it on. That aside, the kit itself is really outstanding.

2FVj6mE.jpg

zWlGg54.jpg

So4D4cS.jpg

Beth Cyra

Finished up the MG Epyon.

What is with Bandai and the occasional shitty Action Base adapters? The one for Epyon's MS mode barely keeps it on. That aside, the kit itself is really outstanding.

Glad you like it as well!

Easily the best Wing kit in my mind and top 5 MG of all time. Love the Epyon which is crazy as I dislike the original in the show.

Vic_Viper

Want to watch a Gundam series that I haven't seen yet.

My options are:

G Reco
Gundam X
V Gundam
And Turn A

I also need to finish IBO, but I lost interest almost 2/3rds of the way through the first season. I was a huge Gundam fan growing up and I've seen almost everything accept the few listed above. What is the current opinion of Victory Gundam and X?

My options are:

G Reco
Gundam X
V Gundam
And Turn A

I also need to finish IBO, but I lost interest almost 2/3rds of the way through the first season. I was a huge Gundam fan growing up and I've seen almost everything accept the few listed above. What is the current opinion of Victory Gundam and X?
Victory Gundam is good as long as you're open minded.

Beth Cyra

My options are:

G Reco
Gundam X
V Gundam
And Turn A

Both are bad to meh (just imo) however Victory is more interesting Suit wise and it doesn't get stuck with the worst AU female like X does with Tiffa.

So I vote V.

Paltheos

My options are:

G Reco
Gundam X
V Gundam
And Turn A

Haven't watched Victory, but Gundam X is good stuff. Probably my favorite Gundam cast, a wonderful (orchestrated) soundtrack, and a few of the battle sequences stand out in memory as p. cool. There are a few weaknesses to the show - More of the mecha designs are miss than hit, those characters named 'Frost' are the weak links in an otherwise interesting cast, and some of the elements introduced late in the show's run are hurried along a mite too fast because the show got cancelled.

Also, Tiffa's great! She's the quiet-type character done right. Most shows run that type of character for fan service, leaving them arbitrarily, unusually - that is, far more than most introverts - for the bulk of the show's run and then yanking them out to suit whatever purpose they have in mind. Tiffa's not like that - From the getgo it's made very clear the girl has problems, on top of her special abilities which sets her apart from others. A big appeal of the show to me is her relationship with Garrod, who is like the polar opposite of her, and how they get along despite all this messed up crap in their lives. I mean, again, it's Gundam so this isn't A-level drama (and this ain't no Thunderbolt), but it's far and away above the average Gundam fare. Tiffa changes throughout the show, but it's not the sledgehammer-type change you'd see in dreck that belittles introversion or does too much too quickly.

Build pics are all looking nice tho, nintendogal has great taste in MS's

Lies, ALL LIES!

congrats on finishing!

Never finished, I'm already thinking of how to kit bash a few things here and there, which is why I love having my newly completed models around to pose and play with, I get crazy ideas. :)

Mostly finished my 1/100 Vidar tonight

That pink panel lining makes it look so amazing! I've added this kit to my wish list thanks to you!

I've been quite busy at work, so I haven't had any chance to panel line anything yet, just snap work on posts to allow me to break it down again. Can't wait to start lining, but gotta finish the weapon on this one. Not a fan of the armor on the 6th form personally, so I probably won't even bother fitting it on at all.

Started in earnest my MG Origin Gundam.

Enjoying the build so far, its very different but also not needlessly complex like some other kits. Everything works in a so far really smart simple way that I hope more kits use in the future. I think its going for a bit too much movement gimmicks so far but they are all good. I say that just because Gundams are mechs, but things like segmented feet to simulate a more ankle like movement is weird if you think about it lol. Love the leg joint to torso connection though others have that stupid to pegs from the legs going into a narrow middle crotch area, this has two pegs coming from the crotch area and the legs have sockets. Who would have thought that simple change would have made me love the kit over other stuff I made so far haha.

Will probably have it done by next week. Might try to do the body and arms tomorrow. Seems like the legs were one of the more complicated parts. Also trying panel lining with ink wash. I suck at it but not devastated yet

Enjoying the build so far, its very different but also not needlessly complex like some other kits. Everything works in a so far really smart simple way that I hope more kits use in the future. I think its going for a bit too much movement gimmicks so far but they are all good. I say that just because Gundams are mechs, but things like segmented feet to simulate a more ankle like movement is weird if you think about it lol. Love the leg joint to torso connection though others have that stupid to pegs from the legs going into a narrow middle crotch area, this has two pegs coming from the crotch area and the legs have sockets. Who would have thought that simple change would have made me love the kit over other stuff I made so far haha.

Will probably have it done by next week. Might try to do the body and arms tomorrow. Seems like the legs were one of the more complicated parts. Also trying panel lining with ink wash. I suck at it but not devastated yet
looks good!

Looking good so far. I've actually built that kit, it's a fairly straightforward build.

And don't worry, I sucked at the ink wash too. Decided to just stick with Gundam Markers.

From Gundam Global Portal's Facebook:

Thank you, RX-78-2 Gundam!
And it’s the beginning of a new era!

The life-sized Gundam statue that has been standing in DiverCity Tokyo Plaza since 2012 was taken down on March 5, 2017 (Japan time). The Gundam has become somewhat of a staple to the Odaiba area, attracting many Japanese and international fans.

However, there is good news!

Starting in the fall of 2017, the life-sized statue of the Unicorn Gundam will be on display!
Also, a complex featuring Gunpla, “The Gundam Base Tokyo,” will open. It is the first facility in Japan to feature the popular plastic models!

We’ll announce more details soon, so please look forward to them!

Turn A Gundam 50 END

This final arc was a mess and wow
at the kiss. Sochie fans must have been angry back in the day, that was just wrong and we could have done without it, she deserved her happily ever after. Also the conclusion was really lame too, that was some of the worst swordfighting Ive seen in anime and it just happened too abruptly and kind of with little impact and suspense

The final arc ought to have taken place much earlier like at least at the 25 episode mark to build up more of the moments instead of suddenly throwing Turn A, Turn X, Gym, all of a sudden.

Kind of the least good gundam overall, down there with thunderbolt, which are both under G-Reco for me. Kind of feel like I wasted my time with this gundam.

Glad they're putting up another 1:1 Gundam on Odaiba. Heading back to Japan next year and we're bringing our daughter this time, was a bit bummed that she wouldn't get to see it.

Unicorn is more recognizable at this point.

More surprised it isn't the Strike Freedom but just talking to random people seems like your right. Maybe the ratings on Unicorn RE 0096 were that good or something.

Also broke my first gunpla part this year! snapped right in half lol. Thankfully not on an important part, can't really tell unless you look super closely. Not sure why such a large piece was made with a super thin center but eh. It looks fine imo.

RangerBAD

More surprised it isn't the Strike Freedom but just talking to random people seems like your right. Maybe the ratings on Unicorn RE 0096 were that good or something.

Also broke my first gunpla part this year! snapped right in half lol. Thankfully not on an important part, can't really tell unless you look super closely. Not sure why such a large piece was made with a super thin center but eh. It looks fine imo.

I admit that SEED brought in a lot of new Gundam fans, but it was also nearly 15 years ago. Unicorn did the same, but not as long ago. It pleased a lot of long time Gundam fans too I'm sure. I know overall I was. It was a nice return to form to have a high budget OVA. Also, I'm thinking it was more the OVA rather than TV edit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Strike while not my favorite Gundam design by any means is better than the ugly as sin Unicron.

Unicron is my least favorite Gundam design by far.

i guess with the relaunch of Unicorn series it's more in people's minds... i personally think strike freedom would be more popular myself.

Took hours to put this guy together, easily the most complicated model I've put together yet this year (mostly due to how intricate some of his chest and leg components are.) Really happy with him though! Detailing and Decaling I'm hoping to do next weekend.

Barely had time for him between waking up late today and seeing Logan yesterday. Next weekend will be a crunch too what with my Mother's Bday and taking the wife and a friend to see King Kong.

SGJin

Neo Member

I imagine the Strike Freedom or any gundam with large wings is probably an architectural nightmare to build at 1/1 scale due to balancing and potential high wind speeds.

On a side note, progress update on my Proto Zero Custom build.
32e223b304.JPG

The neck joint LED I made earlier started to get dimmer as I added more and more LEDs to the series.
This could have probably be fixed if I installed the correct resistors for the neck LED but I have no way of knowing how much power the other LED's are drawing away from it.
So to fix this, I installed a 2nd LED in the head and made sockets for the wires to plug into using copper and plastic plates.

9041f24b16.JPG
dec7fd9211.JPG

Added additional armor to the arms and started work on scratch building some arm camera attachments.

bffc980365.JPG
de84753b76.JPG

Added new resin wings and wing joints for added articulation.
The new resin joint combined with my scratch built wing joint allows for some extreme angles that is impossible for the stock joints on Proto Zero.

Took hours to put this guy together, easily the most complicated model I've put together yet this year (mostly due to how intricate some of his chest and leg components are.) Really happy with him though! Detailing and Decaling I'm hoping to do next weekend.

Barely had time for him between waking up late today and seeing Logan yesterday. Next weekend will be a crunch too what with my Mother's Bday and taking the wife and a friend to see King Kong.
very nice!
Strike Freedom probably isn't viable
yeah that would be complicated.

don't know where to put this:
new macross series announced for 2018:
KLRnUUO.jpg

TheFlow

Banned

The goat

Drayco21

Holy shit you guys, I started applying my first every dry transfers to my MG Tallgeese while listening to podcasts tonight, and no one ever told me this hobby would turn me into a wizard. I'm pretty sure these are sorcerer tools or something, but they look fantastic.

On a side note, progress update on my Proto Zero Custom build.

This is looking fantastic!

Llyranor

I don't think I like Zeta. I know it is many fans' favorite, but it didn't click for me. The political intrigue is interesting and has potential. The mecha fights/animations are good enough but a bit dated and not super inspired.

I hate the characters. Some are decent/okay, but they keep shoving completely unlikable and unsympathetic characters in your face and forcing dumb plot points around it. It's not just that some characters make impulsive dumb decisions that compromise everyone around them, it's that the supposedly normal crew around them allow it to happen. Sure, Kamille gets slapped around a bunch, but not nearly enough, and every other unstable character just seems to be pampered. I had to make myself fast-forward through the soap opera drama once I got around past episode 40 (
Rosamia
was my breaking point) and just skip to the battles.

Reccoa's "all men just want to use you" betrayal, wtf

Rosamia's baby act and her SURPRISE I'M AN ENEMY LIEUTENANT AND NO ONE SAW IT COMING. Four wasn't bad enough, needed someone else for Kamille to angst over? Oni-chan~~

The 2 little kids constantly being able to do dumb kid things and compromising a military ship with minimal supervision, including boarding mobile suits and helping unsupervised strangers board mobile suits

Katz and Sara's dumb sideplot once again showcasing the absolute lack of security in this ship

Fa and Reccoa's race to get into the last mobile duit, oh boy!

The show was much much too slow in killing all of them off.

The Argama felt like a school playground at times.

don't know where to put this:
new macross series announced for 2018:
KLRnUUO.jpg
Please be better than Delta please be better than Delta please be better than Delta...
I don't think I like Zeta. I know it is many fans' favorite, but it didn't click for me. The political intrigue is interesting and has potential. The mecha fights/animations are good enough but a bit dated and not super inspired.

I hate the characters. Some are decent/okay, but they keep shoving completely unlikable and unsympathetic characters in your face and forcing dumb plot points around it. It's not just that some characters make impulsive dumb decisions that compromise everyone around them, it's that the supposedly normal crew around them allow it to happen. Sure, Kamille gets slapped around a bunch, but not nearly enough, and every other unstable character just seems to be pampered. I had to make myself fast-forward through the soap opera drama once I got around past episode 40 (
Rosamia
was my breaking point) and just skip to the battles.

Reccoa's "all men just want to use you" betrayal, wtf

Rosamia's baby act and her SURPRISE I'M AN ENEMY LIEUTENANT AND NO ONE SAW IT COMING. Four wasn't bad enough, needed someone else for Kamille to angst over? Oni-chan~~

The 2 little kids constantly being able to do dumb kid things and compromising a military ship with minimal supervision, including boarding mobile suits and helping unsupervised strangers board mobile suits

Katz and Sara's dumb sideplot once again showcasing the absolute lack of security in this ship

Fa and Reccoa's race to get into the last mobile duit, oh boy!

The show was much much too slow in killing all of them off.

The Argama felt like a school playground at times.
What you complain about is actually way worse in ZZ.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nah, watch ZZ. It's great.

Part of the problem with discipline on the Argama is that it isn't actually a real military vessel; they are part of a rebellion of sorts, a loose militia consisting of rebellious elements from the moon, the colonies, and earth.

Llyranor

Part of the problem with discipline on the Argama is that it isn't actually a real military vessel; they are part of a rebellion of sorts, a loose militia consisting of rebellious elements from the moon, the colonies, and earth.
I don't need them to be executed by firing squad (though that wouldn't be a bad idea for some of the characters), but the sheer incompetence of the crew (militia or not) in preventing any of the security breaches, without taking a single step to prevent any future ones, is just too much.

Oh, you almost got everyone in the ship killed, now run along and don't do it again!

My longterm Gundam plan was to go through the whole UC timeline, but after Zeta I will just skip directly to CCA and the OVAs. At least there will be some cool mecha animations.

ZZ is almost like a parody of all the problems you describe from Zeta.
many of which I agree with btw
you could probably watch it for the laughs. That's how I see it. Then again, my father is 14 episodes in, didn't like Zeta and feels like this is just significantly worse. Mind you, he is going to finish it just to see how bad it gets.

My longterm Gundam plan was to go through the whole UC timeline, but after Zeta I will just skip directly to CCA and the OVAs. At least there will be some cool mecha animations.
CCA ain't that great either. Pretty much I think in order to enjoy Gundam you have to have a tolerance for stupid as fuck characters.

CCA is amazing, besides Quess.

And I've always loved the way Tomino writes characters. He portrays his characters the right way... irrational, hypocritical, illogical. It's really different from how a lot of writers write characters

CCA is amazing, besides Quess.

And I've always loved the way Tomino writes characters. He portrays his characters the right way... irrational, hypocritical, illogical. It's really different from how a lot of writers write characters
Nobody like Quess Papaya. My main problem with it is how it pretty much just shits all over Char's character growth in Zeta and how boring Chan is. Not to mention
Char and Amuro fighting to the death while arguing about Lalah.
I was like "Dude's seriously. You're bringing that shit up now."

Man God

Non-Canon Member
ZZ is almost like a parody of all the problems you describe from Zeta.
many of which I agree with btw
you could probably watch it for the laughs. That's how I see it. Then again, my father is 14 episodes in, didn't like Zeta and feels like this is just significantly worse. Mind you, he is going to finish it just to see how bad it gets.

It gets a bit less stupid as it goes along.

I enjoy the comedy stuff myself though so I think it actually gets worse.

The reason I enjoy ZZ comes down entirely to Judau and chill as hell too old for this shit Bright Noa.

Nobody like Quess Papaya. My main problem with it is how it pretty much just shits all over Char's character growth in Zeta and how boring Chan is. Not to mention
Char and Amuro fighting to the death while arguing about Lalah.
I was like "Dude's seriously. You're bringing that shit up now."

I don't hate Quess as much as some people. But then again I don't get annoyed with character s nearly as much as some people. I get confused when people bring up people like Reccoa or Kats. Sure they aren't the best but wel I dunno.

Regarding Char, I agree there is a piece missing, but it didnt bother me too much. They really needed more build up, or something during ZZ to bridge the gap.

Arguing about Lalah made sense to me. Even in Zeta, they're both hung up about it. See theor passive agressive antagonism, or Amuro bringing her up after Four died

As for Zeta. I liked them both more after I watched them. I liked them even more after the second viewing

It gets a bit less stupid as it goes along.

I enjoy the comedy stuff myself though so I think it actually gets worse.

The reason I enjoy ZZ comes down entirely to Judau and chill as hell too old for this shit Bright Noa.

Bright is what makes ZZ enjoyable for me. On my first watch I didn't appreciate the comedic antics as much as I do now, so I guess we'll see how I feel when it switches to a more serious tone part way through. I'm also curious how my father will take it since he finds it pretty painful at the moment.

Bright Noa has always been my favorite character though, especially in ZZ as he has to deal with increasing levels of absurd and silly.

I don't hate Quess as much as some people. But then again I don't get annoyed with character s nearly as much as some people. I get confused when people bring up people like Reccoa or Kats. Sure they aren't the best but wel I dunno.

Regarding Char, I agree there is a piece missing, but it didnt bother me too much. They really needed more build up, or something during ZZ to bridge the gap.

Arguing about Lalah made sense to me. Even in Zeta, they're both hung up about it. See theor passive agressive antagonism, or Amuro bringing her up after Four died

As for Zeta. I liked them both more after I watched them. I liked them even more after the second viewing
I will admit some people blow the characters annoyance factor out of proportion and to be truthful the annoying character do have a tendency to get what's coming to them.

Llyranor

I get confused when people bring up people like Reccoa or Kats. Sure they aren't the best but wel I dunno.
Katz is only more tolerable because he's not around for half the series. Reccoa
drops poison gas on a colony "because all men do is use you". Her internal conflict was laughable.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
Nah, watch ZZ. It's great.

ZZ is my favorite of all the classic, the tone of the show grow more mature along with the character.

I liked Emma for how often she would slap Kamille and not take his BS.
Yeah. I pretty much consider Emma Kamille's big sister. Though Emma I feel was emotionally, morally and mentally stronger than Reccoa was. They were both presented with very similar situations and had enough strength in her convictions not to do the wrong god damn thing.

Top Bottom