• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

I love that game, you didn't beat it properly if you didn't get the dlc. And get Horizon, I'm addicted to it.

Of course I got and did the DLC, who do you think I am~!

I want to mess around with a Skill/Bloodtinge character next time. Not sure if I will actually do a whole playthrough or just mess around til I had my fill for now, but really enjoyed it.

For some reason Sony first party titles never catch my interest lol. Horizon, Uncharted, ect... never played them. Well Uncharted 1 and 3 I did but I forced my way through them.

I'm playing them both right now but I actually prefer Horizon but I'm happy both turned out so well.
I really hope they do gunpla of the robot animals or something.
47 hours into Horizon and I absolutely love it. It's one of the prettiest, most polished, and fun games I've played in a long time.
Yeah it's great. I'm 36 hours in and I take frequent breaks from the story to explore, do side quests and throw down with my robot prey.

Edit...bundled the gundam clipper set with some pants and other shit in an Amazon order.

oh very nice, just checked this page and nice to see macross =)

Finally found time to finish up Char's Zaku II. This 2.0 comes with a TON of dry decals, especially tiny ones too. I screwed up a couple of them sadly, and the others I didn't bother with in the end. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out though, and I think he looks great even with just the larger dry decals and the regular sticker decals.
what's your next build going to be?

Depending on how IBO plays out, it may be my favorite AU. I hope to god they have the balls to pull off what they have set up.

Anyway, here is an interview with our Lord and Savior Tomino

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ollieb...perilous-future-facing-humanity/#245b79764b8a
thanks for the link =)

it's suppose to be a blizzard like tomorrow in NJ/NYC so no work. i'm going to see if i have freetime to start another kit.

So, thought I should ask y'all before the JP travel thread but, seeing as though the G front Odaiba is retired, does anyone know where/when the new G-front is going to be launched? I know its going to be larger and nearer to central Tokyo or something but would like to know if there's an approximate launch date! (Gonna be there from May 29th-June 12th)

NEO0MJ

IBO would be a favorite for me, iff Ride survives.

According to the leaked script​ he dies saving his friends.

So, thought I should ask y'all before the JP travel thread but, seeing as though the G front Odaiba is retired, does anyone know where/when the new G-front is going to be launched? I know its going to be larger and nearer to central Tokyo or something but would like to know if there's an approximate launch date! (Gonna be there from May 29th-June 12th)

It will be up June 13.

what's your next build going to be?

I got seven models for Christmas, so I've been spacing it out at one a month so far. Several of them are Zakus, which I think are all 2.0's. So rather than build one Zaku after another, I'll be switching off with a couple of the Fedi suits I got. So I think April is when Lt. Burning will take the field.

ban71691_0.jpg

We need Tomino to fall into further depression so he can finally deliver for us another Ideon or Victory there.^^

Don't worry.

IBO is building towards this. I haven't felt a more serious sense of "these people are fucked" since be invoked.

If it doesn't go that route, it's some serious ass pull bullshit.

Menthuss

Don't worry.

IBO is building towards this. I haven't felt a more serious sense of "these people are fucked" since be invoked.

If it doesn't go that route, it's some serious ass pull bullshit.

I can easily see
Orga dying and Mikazuki as well (that or he'll end up a vegetable).

It was a treat. There aren't a whole lot of interviews with Tomino available in english,

I thought it interesting how much he talked about Mikazuki and Takahata.Those two really are in a league of their own

I got seven models for Christmas, so I've been spacing it out at one a month so far. Several of them are Zakus, which I think are all 2.0's. So rather than build one Zaku after another, I'll be switching off with a couple of the Fedi suits I got. So I think April is when Lt. Burning will take the field.
oh nice! more classic kits.
Got my Gunpla tools...will probably pick a kit up tomorrow from Midtown Comics. I kind of miss it.
that's awesome you got some tools =)

When is a good time to advance to Master Grade?
i only done 3 master grades a long time ago and they were really old school. Gp-01. Zeta C++ (forgot the name) and Gp-02A. i thought they were pretty fun and easy to tell you the truth. i think you can jump into them right away. the best thing is to watch a basic beginner tutorial video on building MG's or gunpla.

that was the hardest part for me bc i hate watching tutorials. but they're about 5-15 minutes and really freakin help. makes a world of a difference imo.

Menthuss

When is a good time to advance to Master Grade?

I went straight to MG after I finished building my only HG (and first gunpla) ever (The F91 Mass Production Gundam). I didn't really have any issues. I can't really go back to HG either now after seeing the massive increase in details with regards to MG kits.

Perfect Grades on the other hand...
Well, let's just say that I really should've waited with building my PG Banshee Norn...

On a side note, my mom somehow managed to find the missing piece of my MG Red Frame Kai while she was moving some stuff to my new apartment, despite me already having turned my entire room upside down. And I lost it six months ago! Imagine that!

EDIT: I just realized that the money I spent on acquiring a replacement part is now wasted as well. Ugh :(

muteki

There isn't so much a increase in difficulty in MG vs. HG or lower, just a longer time investment and managing a higher part count when it comes to paint. Assembly wise you are doing the same thing you did before, only the parts are more numerous and likely smaller.

Sometimes screws are involved, but I think they haven't been using them so much in recent years. I had a lot of trouble with them back when MG ground type and gouf came out.

I went straight to MG after I finished building my only HG (and first gunpla) ever (The F91 Mass Production Gundam). I didn't really have any issues. I can't really go back to HG either now after seeing the massive increase in details with regards to MG kits.

Perfect Grades on the other hand...
Well, let's just say that I really should've waited with building my PG Banshee Norn...

On a side note, my mom somehow managed to find the missing piece of my MG Red Frame Kai while she was moving some stuff to my new apartment, despite me already having turned my entire room upside down. And I lost it six months ago! Imagine that!

EDIT: I just realized that the money I spent on acquiring a replacement part is now wasted as well. Ugh :(
I will probably never touch RG or PG.

Fair enough. PG's are insanely expensive after all. RG's seem pretty affordable OTOH. No idea what they're like build-wise though. I have one lying around but I keep procrastinating haha.

My ultimate goal, once my wife and I have a large enough place, is to one: Have a massive shelf displaying a huge collection of MGs, as well as PGs, but to also build several 1/144 scale dioramas using both HG and RGs. I'd love to have battle sequences in every climate/space type area ever to appear across the franchise.

Sadly right now we can only afford/have the space for my growing collection of MGs =/

i think you can go with an RG as your second or third kit, i wouldn't recommend it as your first.

i made the mistake of trying an RG as my first kit after not doing a kit since high school.
the MG's i mentioned, i just mashed together with no tools in high school really fast. used a house scissor and nail clipper i found lying around. i'd just rip parts off the runners with brute force. lol

out of all the RG's, i picked the worst one to start with. i figured RG sky grasper is easy since it's a very small kit. biggest mistake. it's honestly the hardest RG kit. i absolutely hated it. the build is pretty easy but those decals are near impossible without pro skills. and there's no point of getting RG sky grasper skipping the decals. it's pretty much the whole kit.

first time trying RG decals, i struggled for 8 weeks to put on decals,trimming them. brutal... after that experience, every RG since has been easier.

skip the sky grasper if you decide to take the RG plunge.

i think you can go with an RG as your second or third kit, i wouldn't recommend it as your first.

i made the mistake of trying an RG as my first kit after not doing a kit since high school.
the MG's i mentioned, i just mashed together with no tools in high school really fast. used a house scissor and nail clipper i found lying around. i'd just rip parts off the runners with brute force. lol

out of all the RG's, i picked the worst one to start with. i figured RG sky grasper is easy since it's a very small kit. biggest mistake. it's honestly the hardest RG kit. i absolutely hated it. the build is pretty easy but those decals are near impossible without pro skills. and there's no point of getting RG sky grasper skipping the decals. it's pretty much the whole kit.

first time trying RG decals, i struggled for 8 weeks to put on decals,trimming them. brutal... after that experience, every RG since has been easier.

skip the sky grasper if you decide to take the RG plunge.
Is it worth getting an RG if I don't want to put on decals? I might not even like most of the RG kits though, which I think goes double for PG.

firelogic

I started with an RG Red Frame and it went pretty well. I only had 1 problem with an extremely small sticker but they gave me enough spares so I could sacrifice a few hahaha.

I like the RG because it's got a lot great detail like an MG but is a lot cheaper. It's about $10 more than an HG. It also looks pretty sharp without requiring a lot of work. Even if you skip painting and panel lining, they look great.

My second kit arrived yesterday. An RG Mk.II AEUG :) FYI, HLJ's packaging was very nice. First time buying from them.

Is it worth getting an RG if I don't want to put on decals?

The decals really make the kit pop. They include A LOT of decals so you can pick and choose what you want.

Is it worth getting an RG if I don't want to put on decals? I might not even like most of the RG kits though, which I think goes double for PG.
i say it depends on the kit and cost.
for sky grasper, no. it's basically a tiny core fighter and looks like a POS without the RG decals.

there's some HG stuff bandai re-released with RG decals (GN Arms Type E real color, meteor unit real color ver.) it's the exact same kits with RG decals. so part of the RG line attraction is the decals.

for full RG suits, imo, the sculpts look the best when comparing them to HG/HG revive counter parts even without decals. i think if the price low, it's worth it for the sculpt alone. but i'd definitely go with a MG or HG for your first kit.

i say it depends on the kit and cost.
for sky grasper, no. it's basically a tiny core fighter and looks like a POS without the RG decals.

there's some HG stuff bandai re-released with RG decals (GN Arms Type E real color, meteor unit real color ver.) it's the exact same kits with RG decals. so part of the RG line attraction is the decals.

for full RG suits, imo, the sculpts look the best when comparing them to HG/HG revive counter parts even without decals. i think if the price low, it's worth it for the sculpt alone. but i'd definitely go with a MG or HG for your first kit.
So my...second and a half? kit will be another HG, might pick up an MG after that, depends on what's available.

PG is like a rite of passage man.

Of course that's assuming nothing goes wrong during the building.

No, I daresay that's part of it. Even so, I'd suggest building more HGs and a few MG/RG kits before tackling one, if you're ever inclined to.

1 success, 2 fuck ups here.

TheFlow

Banned
I have only done an HG so far, would've been two, but I stopped doing my HG Wing Gundam when I hit the legs section.
Oh you should still be fine. If I could do a mg deathsycthe and char zaku you should be able to handle it as well. Just really take your time on cutting the pieces and never force a piece.

Paltheos

PG is like a rite of passage man.

Of course that's assuming nothing goes wrong during the building.

No, I daresay that's part of it. Even so, I'd suggest building more HGs and a few MG/RG kits before tackling one, if you're ever inclined to.

1 success, 2 fuck ups here.

The experiences are so wildly different tho.
I'm on 3, and the Strike was fun, the Mk. II was interesting, and the Wing Zero like an elaborate practical joke.

Ouch. Care to share what went wrong and which kits?

PG Strike and Skygrasper went fine.

00 Raiser, I somehow lost the springs for the joint locking mechanism. So none of the joints could lock in place. Fun.

Strike Freedom, I had the bright idea to spray paint all the puke gold parts with metallic gold (should have primed it or something first, newbie mistake). Which weakened a part in the waist, which then broke. After that the legs continuously swayed, could never get it to stand. Tried some model cement but it didn't help.

I'm almost afraid to try and get the Unicorn and its LED set. But you never get better if you stay afraid.

Top Bottom