• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

Zoe

Could you further explain this?

If I wanted both my and my wifes itunes accounts apps on the one iPad how do I achieve this? As far as im aware you have to reset everything to get a new account logged in.

I haven't tried it with paid apps, but on my iPad I have iTunes linked with my US account and on my computer I have it linked with my JP account. I send the JP apps to the iPad through the PC iTunes.

Shikoro

That's why region-specific stores suck big time. If you have the money and you understand the language of the content, why shouldn't you be able to purchase it. Stupid decision all along.

Bogus

technically it asks if you want to format when you restore the vita to factory settings. You only change account when its reset. Its not an option you select to change accounts and it does it. This is why the option still exists and by the sounds of it the new option only appears if you try and log in to a different account.

Although that last bit id like someone to confirm. When exactly does it bring up the new message?

Ah, gotcha. I just looked up the process, and it seems pretty straightforward - you deactivate one PSN account on your Vita and reactivate a different one.

It seems clear that, from the start, Sony wanted to keep users from having multiple accounts active at the same time on one memory card. However, they also built functionality into the OS that allowed users to keep a stable of inactive accounts on one memory card. Those two concepts complement each other; you can switch between active and inactive accounts, but you can't share data between any of them. I believe Aeana mentioned earlier in the thread that the Vita even informed users of this when they attempted to access data that wasn't associated with their currently active account. Why would Sony go through the trouble to build these prompts in if they never intended users to see them? What other use-case scenario could there possibly have been?

Added to the fact that Sony removed the functionality without warning and locked users out of their inactive account data, this should give affected customers every right to be angry. Actually, it should give all Vita owners a right to be angry, because who can say Sony won't sneakily close more of these "loophole" features in the future? It's just strange to me why anyone would want to pin blame on paying customers rather than Sony in this case.

Could you further explain this?

If I wanted both my and my wifes itunes accounts apps on the one iPad how do I achieve this? As far as im aware you have to reset everything to get a new account logged in.
I have two accounts, a German and a UK one. If I get a triple play BR disc (contains an itunes code only redeemable with a UK itunes account) I start up itunes on my main machine (or whatever it's called), which is my desktop PC, log out of my German account and into my UK account. I redeem the code and transfer the movie to itunes. It is now in my itunes library on my main machine. If I sync my itouch (I only use the German account with this) with my PC the movie will transfer, regardless of whether I redeemed it with my UK account. Since I don't game any more on itouch and have never bought an app (only downloaded some free stuff) I don't know if it works with anything else. According to the other posters above me it should though.

Out come the presumptuous cocks to tell all you multi-region customers that you are bad bad people and should be punished and are also swimming in money!

http://rpgland.com/content/media/2012/08/ignorance.jpg

http://rpgland.com/content/media/2012/08/ignorance2.jpg

People make me sick.
At best you are violating contractual terms. And again, without an account to access DLC (and updates? got no answer to my question) what use is a region free machine? But I guess these are the same people that applauded the removal of OtherOS from older PS3s.

nyong

Banned
That's why region-specific stores suck big time. If you have the money and you understand the language of the content, why shouldn't you be able to purchase it. Stupid decision all along.
Different pricing for different territories, not to mention different monetary values between territories. They do it because they don't want to lose money.

It all comes down to which party holds publishing rights in the respective regions but in this day and age where we're moving to a primarily DD future it's a system that really needs an overall.

It makes zero sense to grant region specific publishing rights to a company when content can be downloaded instantly from anywhere in the world.

It isn't hard to understand why Sony might make the change now - they want to segregate digital content between regions, they want to promote the sales of memory cards, etc. - but that wasn't my concern, really. I'm curious how the preservation of data across multiple accounts on the same memory card could have possibly been an unintended loophole or exploit. The OS asked users straight-up if they wanted to reformat their memory cards when switching accounts, and users could select "no", thereby preserving their data. That isn't a loophole, that's a feature, and a rather elementary one to be honest. Why would Sony have included that option if they truly wanted to enforce a "one card, one account" policy from the start?
Because you clear your console for selling ir for example and keep your data on a mem card?
And there are plenty of other reasons i might think ok.
Bottom line is that option was never intended for account switching even if you can switch if you want

Generally it's to funnel some of that local money towards those who paid for the translation/localization. If more people imported more things then there would be less monetary incentive for localized support, and the people who don't import or don't understand the language would end up with nothing.

MjFrancis

I'm interested in no less than five games that I'd realistically buy for the Playstation Vita should Sony ever rectify their situation with the memory cards. Even before this I was frustrated that Sony would put out proprietary memory cards with an absurdly high mark-up. I want to buy a Vita and enjoy a few games on it, but I'd much rather do without than support such nonsense, and it's only getting worse.

And if the Vita fails $10 says they'll blame "shifting market demographics" and the threat from the iOS and Android markets.

Out come the presumptuous cocks to tell all you multi-region customers that you are bad bad people and should be punished and are also swimming in money!

ignorance.jpg

ignorance2.jpg

People make me sick.

That's N4G. I mean, I go there too but you get upset at N4G? It might be time to take a break.

I have two accounts, a German and a UK one. If I get a triple play BR disc (contains an itunes code only redeemable with a UK itunes account) I start up itunes on my main machine (or whatever it's called), which is my desktop PC, log out of my German account and into my UK account. I redeem the code and transfer the movie to itunes. It is now in my itunes library on my main machine. If I sync my itouch (I only use the German account with this) with my PC the movie will transfer, regardless of whether I redeemed it with my UK account. Since I don't game any more on itouch and have never bought an app (only downloaded some free stuff) I don't know if it works with anything else. According to the other posters above me it should though.

Mmm interesting. So if i change my account on my itunes to my wifes account. Download the apps on her account to the pc then plug my iphone in i can sync them without deleting anything?

You must be doing something different because when ever i have pluged my iphone into someone elses itunes it will only transfer over if it erases everything on the iohone first. A certain settung perhaps?

kdoll08

Has anyone one here tried using a different non updated vita? Or is the card still going to say its tied to the other account? I really hate that I can't access my old saves. I tried everything last night to fix it. I moved all my data to my computer with content manager and tried to move my specific save files but the vira still wouldn't recognize them even after I reinstalled the games on my US account. I thought I found a work around but no my 200 hours in hot shots appears to be for naught

Zoe

Mmm interesting. So if i change my account on my itunes to my wifes account. Download the apps on her account to the pc then plug my iphone in i can sync them without deleting anything?

You must be doing something different because when ever i have pluged my iphone into someone elses itunes it will only transfer over if it erases everything on the iohone first. A certain settung perhaps?

I just drag over the apps to the iPad manually.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Now I've got lots of data that was associated with my Japanese PSN account, including tons of save data, that I can no longer access. It's all gone.

Far out, I had no idea it'd affect existing users that badly. Condolences for the lost saved data. I've lost saved games to GFWL before. It's not a good feeling. I'd be absolutely furious.

As a gamer and aspiring Vita owner, it really blows to hear these kinds of new stories.

That's because your iphone is not registered to that machine and even if it would it would just replace the library. My itouch just syncs with the library associated with my main machine, no special settings afaik.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sorry if already answered, but i have a question about account changing, i have a second memory stick, how to change the account with the new firmware?

Forsete

Gold Member
This is retarded. Set us free Sony! I liked living in the open and free PS3 world, dont become a dictator with the Vita!

SmokyDave

"You must be rich to be living abroad! Buy another memory card, LOL!"

What idiots.

Although it shouldn't be phrased like that, if someone is moving between two regions frequently then I'd imagine there are all sorts of things they'd have to duplicate due to differing power standards, video standards etc..

It really doesn't seem like that large of an inconvenience in comparison to buying 2 3DS' or 2 copies of a DVD / Blu-Ray, that kinda thing.

May16

It really doesn't seem like that large of an inconvenience in comparison to buying 2 3DS' or 2 copies of a DVD / Blu-Ray, that kinda thing.
Well maybe that works for you, but it's not really one person's place to decide for someone else what his video game budget should be.

Although it shouldn't be phrased like that, if someone is moving between two regions frequently then I'd imagine there are all sorts of things they'd have to duplicate due to differing power standards, video standards etc..
Right, but it bothers me that people are telling me what to do, how to feel, and throwing out unfounded accusations of piracy (what!?) based on what they imagine.

When you go to renew a visa in Japan, they'll ask you for your address in your native country. You're legally required to have 2 in that way. Thereofre, between me and my wife, we have three perfectly legal addresses in as many countries and no, I don't have a bunch of "duplicate things" the way you're imagining. I don't own a Wii or 3DS because they are not region free. I don't have multiple copies of movies because blu-rays because 1 is enough for me. NA and JP are in the same blu-ray region.

I hate that I feel like I have to justify everything and spill out all these details because it seems so unfathomable to some people. =/

It's funny to see people be like "Weeeellll it's not such a big deal" when they clearly have no idea what's up though XD We need the old :lol icon back for this thread.

SmokyDave

Well maybe that works for you, but it's not really one person's place to decide for someone else what his video game budget should be.
I never said it was, only that it was more reasonable than the alternatives.

Right, but it bothers me that people are telling me what to do, how to feel, and throwing out unfounded accusations of piracy (what!?) based on what they imagine.

When you go to renew a visa in Japan, they'll ask you for your address in your native country. You're legally required to have 2 in that way. Thereofre, between me and my wife, we have three perfectly legal addresses in as many countries and no, I don't have a bunch of "duplicate things" the way you're imagining. I don't own a Wii or 3DS because they are not region free. I don't have multiple copies of movies because blu-rays because 1 is enough for me. NA and JP are in the same blu-ray region.

I hate that I feel like I have to justify everything and spill out all these details because it seems so unfathomable to some people. =/

It's funny to see people be like "Weeeellll it's not such a big deal" when they clearly have no idea what's up though XD We need the old :lol icon back for this thread.
You didn't need to justify any of this to me. You're not cool with buying one memory card per region and that's a stance I can respect. It's not the one I'd take personally, but that's not to say you're 'wrong' in any way.

I'm surprised you don't run into issues moving between 3 countries. Living in the UK my Blu-rays and DVD's would be incompatible, as would my TV prior to the introduction of the digital standards. My phone too, I think.

May16

You didn't need to justify any of this to me. You're not cool with buying one memory card per region and that's a stance I can respect. It's not the one I'd take personally, but that's not to say you're 'wrong' in any way.
Yeah, and the response up there wasn't all directed AT you necessarily, more at other people all around the internet, with you post being the jumpoff point. I hope I wasn't too unclear there.

I'm surprised you don't run into issues moving between 3 countries. Living in the UK my Blu-rays and DVD's would be incompatible, as would my TV prior to the introduction of the digital standards. My phone too, I think.
To be clear, it's not so much that we move a lot so much that we have 3 perfectly legitimate addresses. We do usually set foot in all of our 3 "home" countries per year, but even when we don't my point (again not so much to you, but to the people wagging their fingers at me and calling me a pirate and a contract breaker) is that all of my addresses are perfectly legal. I say it and a lot of people on the 'tubes start practically asking for my passport and birth certificate. That, or assuming I light cigars with $100 bills and crap in a solid gold toilet. I mean, I do, but what's that got to do with anything?

Top Bottom