• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

Acosta

I got screwed over in that when I imported my PS3 (US to the UK), I used a US account as my main gaming account. It makes my life more difficult with the Vita, because I have to be wary of buying any physical games with on-line passes; essentially they're rendered useless because you can't use the pass with a US account. Not to mention I can't use any of the cross-buy games on my Vita if I purchase them on my EU account. So, well done Sony, great job all around.

Why don't you use the american account for Vita?

Maybe he wanted to play a game online and not have to buy a second online pass?

then buy a 4 gig card for the cart games you want to import for saves and dlc.

Like I said before, It sucks they didn't warn anyone and isn't right but the people acting like the vita has suddenly been region locked. It hasn't its been account locked which was the intention from the start.

You can still play carts from any region. You can still play digital from any region if you have more than one mem card or are willing to back up before you switch.

The only thing that sucks is that they stealthed this in. Thats it. It really sucks I know but the rest is honestly fine.

What other system are you allowed to buy digitally from other regions without setting up fake accounts etc etc. Its not something that really makes sense anyway. Region free is really about being able to order in physical games or pick something up if your on holiday over there.

If you could buy from any region using your regions address and payment details it would be a different story but you cant.

hang on.

Are you telling me that if I buy a 2nd bigger capacity memory card, my vita will re-format the one I already have in it? o_O

Even though I'll be using both on the same account.

This thread is getting me confused.

hang on.

Are you telling me that if I buy a 2nd bigger capacity memory card, my vita will re-format the one I already have in it? o_O

Even though I'll be using both on the same account.

This thread is getting me confused.

'vita firmware update region-locks memory cards' should be the thread title. &, no, if both cards are on the same account, your existing card will not be re-formatted...

Hanmik

'vita firmware update region-locks memory cards' should be the thread title. &, no, if both cards are on the same account, your existing card will not be re-formatted...

yes that is what the OP was trying to tell us..

btw.. has anyone (other than the OP) tried this,.? and can verify that this in fact is happening..? and does it matter if you deactivate the account or not..?

I see lots of other sites reporting about this, but using this thread as a source..

Jucksalbe

Banned
btw.. has anyone (other than the OP) tried this,.? and can verify that this in fact is happening..? and does it matter if you deactivate the account or not..?

I saw at least one other person talking about this before I made the thread and someone else on the first page seems to confirm it as well.

I see lots of other sites reporting about this, but using this thread as a source..

Really? With no testing of their own? Some sites really are lazy. :-/
Can someone please tell them that a NeoGaf thread is not a valid source?

Hanmik

I saw at least one other person talking about this before I made the thread and someone else on the first page seems to confirm it as well.

Really? With no testing of their own? Some sites really are lazy. :-/
Can someone please tell them that a NeoGaf thread is not a valid source?

here are some quick examples (most even use your picture)

http://www.destructoid.com/ps-vita-firmware-locks-memory-cards-to-a-single-account-233900.phtml

http://www.thebitbag.com/2012/08/28/vita-180-update-locks-memory-cards-account/

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthrea...cks-memory-cards-to-one-PSN-account?p=5898017

http://www.gamepur.com/news/9018-ps-vita-firmware-180-locks-memory-cards.html

ohh one of them was a forum post.. but just google "vita firmware 1.80 locks up memory card" and see for yourself..

but I can also see now (today, I checked yesterday), that some of the sites have tesetd this themselves now..

Ok. Thanx for the reply. I was about to cancel my order for an 8 gig because if that was the case, why bother?

This is a bit of a dick move from Sony, but I only use one PSN account anyways. I feel for all those people affected by this though.

You should all spam @yosp on twitter with your complaints.

At the end of the day Nintendo and Sony came to the same decision in region locking their DD shops but Nintendo took it the extra mile by just region locking everything.

Nintendo's decision sucks for those of us who import but when you see the results of having different philosophies for DD region locking and retail region locking I can't really say that I'd be comfortable importing Vita games either.

Sylver

Banned
Seems some european new order is warning people about permaban users with multiple accounts. I hope it's a new scee joke.

Why don't you use the american account for Vita?

I do, and that's my point and the crux of the issue, in that if I were to buy, say, a physical copy of Wipeout 2048, I'd be locked out of the online component of the game because the pass wouldn't work on my account. The restrictions on the Vita makes using my main US account more awkward than using it on the PS3.

Dunan

If your friend had imported a physical cart rather than setting up a bogus account, he'd have been fine.

Bogus account? Who's to say that multi-account users don't have addresses and credit cards from multiple regions?

Are you just trolling? You can't imagine that some people really have lived in more than one country, speak more than one language, and can enjoy games from more than one "region", and thus that there should be no impediment to them doing so?

SmokyDave

Bogus account? Who's to say that multi-account users don't have addresses and credit cards from multiple regions?
Shall we ask him and see? I'm betting £20 we're not dealing with someone that lives in two or more regions at once (or within a short timespan).

Are you just trolling? You can't imagine that some people really have lived in more than one country, speak more than one language, and can enjoy games from more than one "region", and thus that there should be no impediment to them doing so?
Get two memory cards then. Simple as. If you're regularly moving between regions (so account migration isn't an option) then I'm afraid you'd need 2 memory cards. Doesn't seem like that huge of an obstacle, it's better than buying 2 handhelds (3DS).

Your hypothetical globetrotter is better served by the Vita than they would be by any other device that I can think of (even an iPod Touch will only sync to one region at any given time). Seems odd to get pissed off at the only device that supports your needs.

demigod

Me, I have a multi-account and I don't have an address or credit card in those regions. I can safely say there are a ton of people with bogus addresses.

Aeana

Your hypothetical globetrotter is better served by the Vita than they would be by any other device that I can think of (even an iPod Touch will only sync to one region at any given time). Seems odd to get pissed off at the only device that supports your needs.

I'm not following. It seems that you are asserting that if a device is better than its competitors at something, it is beyond criticism. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting.

SmokyDave

I'm not following. It seems that you are asserting that if a device is better than its competitors at something, it is beyond criticism. Please correct me if I am misinterpreting.
Criticise all you like, I just find it odd that people expect a level of functionality that none of the competitors provide and then get angry when it doesn't work exactly as they want it to.

Oersted

after the update, a friend can´t even unlock the ps vita itself anymore. anyone else encountered the same problem?

Sylver

Banned

bNAEN.png

xqZwN.png

SiKhk.png

From SCEE (Spanish language) blog, it seems that's the new admin trend.

Aeana

Criticise all you like, I just find it odd that people expect a level of functionality that none of the competitors provide and then get angry when it doesn't work exactly as they want it to.

That doesn't seem odd to me at all, unless your view of how the market works is so warped that you think suppliers are supposed to dictate the market rather than consumers. It is the consumers' job to express likes and dislikes so that the market is shaped to their needs. So yes, regardless of how something performs compared to its competitors, if something isn't working optimally, it is perfectly natural for the consumer to give feedback.

Consumers should want something to work exactly as they want it to. Why wouldn't they?

SmokyDave

That doesn't seem odd to me at all, unless your view of how the market works is so warped that you think suppliers are supposed to dictate the market rather than consumers. It is the consumers' job to express likes and dislikes so that the market is shaped to their needs. So yes, regardless of how something performs compared to its competitors, if something isn't working optimally, it is perfectly natural for the consumer to give feedback.

Consumers should want something to work exactly as they want it to. Why wouldn't they?
My 'view of how the market works' accounts for the realities of how the market works. Digital accounts are region locked and access to any content on those accounts is not guaranteed outside of the relevant region. That's the top and bottom of this.

If you want to rail against something, why not rail against regional segregation of content in the first place? Surely you'd see a much bigger benefit if you could use all 3 stores on just one account?

This isn't a war against consumers, it's a war against consumers using a loophole to access content that isn't designated for their region. It's also being fought with blank ammo since you can buy a second memory card and take advantage all over again.

Aeana

My 'view of how the market works' accounts for the realities of how the market works. Digital accounts are region locked and access to any content on those accounts is not guaranteed outside of the relevant region. That's the top and bottom of this.

If you want to rail against something, why not rail against regional segregation of content in the first place? Surely you'd see a much bigger benefit if you could use all 3 stores on just one account?

This isn't a war against consumers, it's a war against consumers using a loophole to access content that isn't designated for their region.

Well, in reality, it's a much broader issue, since this doesn't really just affect multi-region users, it affects people who have more than one account period. I agree that it would be optimal if we could just access all of the content with one account, and that is pretty much the brass ring to reach for in all of this, but man the victim blaming has gotten quite out of hand in this thread. I'm not even with the people arguing about the region locking of the memory cards - my issue is and always was with the fact that I lost my personal data - but some of the responses here are a little bit unreal.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm not even with the people arguing about the region locking of the memory cards - my issue is and always was with the fact that I lost my personal data - but some of the responses here are a little bit unreal.

How much did you lose? I mainly lost all the data of my Vita games. But I only have four of them which makes this about 150 hours of playtime, I guess I can cope (still very annoyed, though). Most of my PSP saves were on the account that was activated at the time I updated.

itouch will sync with your library, regardless of origin. I know, because I redeem UK itunes movie codes to my library with a UK itunes account. My main account is German (can't redeem UK codes on that one) and my itouch syncs those movies just fine.

SmokyDave

Well, in reality, it's a much broader issue, since this doesn't really just affect multi-region users, it affects people who have more than one account period. I agree that it would be optimal if we could just access all of the content with one account, and that is pretty much the brass ring to reach for in all of this, but man the victim blaming has gotten quite out of hand in this thread. I'm not even with the people arguing about the region locking of the memory cards - my issue is and always was with the fact that I lost my personal data - but some of the responses here are a little bit unreal.

Again, I can't stress enough how shitty it is that you lost data. That is absolutely inexcusable and it seems like it should've been trivial for Sony to avoid.

itouch will sync with your library, regardless of origin. I know, because I redeem UK itunes movie codes to my library with a UK itunes account. My main account is German (can't redeem UK codes on that one) and my itouch syncs those movies just fine.
If you buy Angry Birds on your UK account and then buy Cut The Rope on your German account, can you access both on the same device at the same time? I was under the impression that you couldn't.

If you buy Angry Birds on your UK account and then buy Cut The Rope on your German account, can you access both on the same device at the same time? I was under the impression that you couldn't.

You can, at least i can with my Singapore and USA account for games.

EDIT

Its a itouch BTW , not sure if this changes anything.

Bogus

This isn't a war against consumers, it's a war against consumers using a loophole to access content that isn't designated for their region. It's also being fought with blank ammo since you can buy a second memory card and take advantage all over again.

I don't really understand how it could be considered a loophole, though. If the intention was for users to only have one account on each memory card, then why would Sony even give them the option to reformat the card when switching account regions in the first place? Why allow users to preserve data from multiple accounts on the same card if they weren't supposed to ever access that data again?

Maybe I'm more cynical sometimes than I'd like to admit, but it strikes me as less of an exploit-quash and more of a feature-removal. The option sounds like it was pretty straightforward too, not tucked away in some dark and dusty corner of the OS.

I don't really understand how it could be considered a loophole, though. If the intention was for users to only have one account on each memory card, then why would Sony even give them the option to reformat the card when switching account regions in the first place? Why allow users to preserve data from multiple accounts on the same card if they weren't supposed to ever access that data again?

Maybe I'm more cynical sometimes than I'd like to admit, but it strikes me as less of an exploit-quash and more of a feature-removal. The option sounds like it was pretty straightforward too, not tucked away in some dark and dusty corner of the OS.

that option is when you want to go back to square one , wipe everything .. at this point you can wipe the memory card too or not .. this is no different than format memory stick on the psp.

The difference , here is that it was possible to keep old data even when you entered another account after the wipe.. Is it so hard to understand that they don't want two ( or more ) sets of content , with different signed keys to co-exist on one memory card ? Especially when they had plenty of trouble with said keys when people started to hack ps3 stuff ?

Given how sensible those keys are ( and believe me they are ) ..the only possible conclusion is taht it was a loophole and clearly something that wasn't intended.This stuff is clearly security ( on the long term ) and it's not the first time a company has closed potential loopholes before someone exploit them too much.

...The difference , here is that it was possible to keep old data even when you entered another account after the wipe.. Is it so hard to understand that they don't want two ( or more ) sets of content , with different signed keys to co-exist on one memory card ? Especially when they had plenty of trouble with said keys when people started to hack ps3 stuff ?

Given how sensible those keys are ( and believe me they are ) ..the only possible conclusion is taht it was a loophole and clearly something that wasn't intended.This stuff is clearly security ( on the long term ) and it's not the first time a company has closed potential loopholes before someone exploit them too much.
I don't understand how having the keys across two cards or one changes anything but feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

This keeps getting pitched as a security issue but other companies have managed to secure their systems without going to these lengths. I'm not going to speculate on why Sony made this move as they're free to make whatever changes they want to their firmware but the only issue I have with what they've done is that they provided no warning to those who would effected even though I'm not one of them.

Could you further explain this?

If I wanted both my and my wifes itunes accounts apps on the one iPad how do I achieve this? As far as im aware you have to reset everything to get a new account logged in.

Could you further explain this?

If I wanted both my and my wifes itunes accounts apps on the one iPad how do I achieve this? As far as im aware you have to reset everything to get a new account logged in.

I've never owned and iPad/iPhone but on my iTouch I remember having to log in to iTunes whenever I bought something. Is it different on other iDevices?

Bogus

that option is when you want to go back to square one , wipe everything .. at this point you can wipe the memory card too or not .. this is no different than format memory stick on the psp.

The difference , here is that it was possible to keep old data even when you entered another account after the wipe.. Is it so hard to understand that they don't want two ( or more ) sets of content , with different signed keys to co-exist on one memory card ? Especially when they had plenty of trouble with said keys when people started to hack ps3 stuff ?

It isn't hard to understand why Sony might make the change now - they want to segregate digital content between regions, they want to promote the sales of memory cards, etc. - but that wasn't my concern, really. I'm curious how the preservation of data across multiple accounts on the same memory card could have possibly been an unintended loophole or exploit. The OS asked users straight-up if they wanted to reformat their memory cards when switching accounts, and users could select "no", thereby preserving their data. That isn't a loophole, that's a feature, and a rather elementary one to be honest. Why would Sony have included that option if they truly wanted to enforce a "one card, one account" policy from the start?

I've never owned and iPad/iPhone but on my iTouch I remember having to log in to iTunes whenever I bought something. Is it different on other iDevices?

You put your password in before you buy anything but im pretty sure only your account will work. I cant change my user name, only enter a password. Your account is chosen when you first sync the device.

It isn't hard to understand why Sony might make the change now - they want to segregate digital content between regions, they want to promote the sales of memory cards, etc. - but that wasn't my concern, really. I'm curious how the preservation of data across multiple accounts on the same memory card could have possibly been an unintended loophole or exploit. The OS asked users straight-up if they wanted to reformat their memory cards when switching accounts, and users could select "no", thereby preserving their data. That isn't a loophole, that's a feature, and a rather elementary one to be honest. Why would Sony have included that option if they truly wanted to enforce a "one card, one account" policy from the start?

technically it asks if you want to format when you restore the vita to factory settings. You only change account when its reset. Its not an option you select to change accounts and it does it. This is why the option still exists and by the sounds of it the new option only appears if you try and log in to a different account.

Although that last bit id like someone to confirm. When exactly does it bring up the new message?

May16

Out come the presumptuous cocks to tell all you multi-region customers that you are bad bad people and should be punished and are also swimming in money!

ignorance.jpg

ignorance2.jpg

People make me sick.

You put your password in before you buy anything but im pretty sure only your account will work. I cant change my user name, only enter a password. Your account is chosen when you first sync the device.
Oh, OK I never had more than one account so I didn't realize account switching wasn't a default option.

Top Bottom