• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

I found it for 10% less on amazon as a digital download card. But weirdly I couldn't find it by searching and had to Google it.

Other than that it's the digital tax.

Nani nani nani??

I don't see this anywhere, would you mind sharing a link plz

Edit: even a Google search shows the standard $59.99 for all digital copies

Plainsong

psh, everyone knows Switch will only sell to current Nintendo fans. Those lapsed fans have all moved on to PS4/Xbox/mobile by now.

This is my first Nintendo console since the GC and I've owned every Sony and MS console since then. I haven't touched my PS4 or XB1 since I got this thing. Absolutely in love with it.

dLMN8R

I have a weird question for all of you guys.

I played a lot of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, but I always felt like I was "playing it wrong". Almost because I was expecting there to be some sort of over-arching "campaign mode" when in reality the game just has a bunch of course collections.

So, how do you guys like to approach Mario Kart games in single-player? Do you just do each of the track collections one-by-one at each CC? Do you just go straight for the faster CC modes? Something else?

To me it almost feels like I exhausted my interest in the game after playing through each track just a couple of times, so it's hard to replay the same tracks over and over again.

Even when I try to play tracks with different characters, it often feels like many characters are objectively worse than others, to the point where no matter how "perfect" I race it seems impossible to come in first with some characters. Do I just need to git gud?

And then for multiplayer, how do you guys like to play? Just random exhibition matches? Tournaments? Something else?

Jumeira

Banned
Single player is very lacking. On Wii U there were various unlockables that could keep you playing the cups to earn them(including Miiverse stamps which are probably gone now and replaced with...?). So unless plenty of new car parts were added in their stead, it will have even less incentive to play against the AI, which in itself was never really thrilling.

Always wished for more track variance among the laps, and even among the difficulty classes. Shifting obstacles, time transitions, anything. That doesn't exist in MK8(or most any MK sadly) so taking on AI drones that are borderline infuriating on the higher difficulties is all you have to look forward to which demands an element of luck. Game is still fun to play in bursts, but do not expect a solo experience to last beyond the initial weekend. This is designed around online play.

Ok thank you. So why is it getting such perfect reviews if online is non existent and the solo play is fairly derivative?

I know MK was amazing with friends (my last played version was on N64), but that's not possible these days, and online seems to be basic....I don't care for battle mode, just the SP. I'm finding it difficult to see how I'd enjoy this if i were to play this by myself... Not trying to be flippant here, id like to know so i can pick this up.

So, how do you guys like to approach Mario Kart games in single-player? Do you just do each of the track collections one-by-one at each CC? Do you just go straight for the faster CC modes? Something else?

I generally grind the Grand Prix mode through all CCs to try to get a decent performance with every character and vehicle type. Really helps with proficiency on all the tracks, which then translates over to fun times when playing multiplayer.

I probably won't do this on Deluxe because I've run all the tracks before, so I'll probably just go through 150 and 200CCs.

I occasionally get bored of playing with my usual main (Villager or Tanooki Mario in the Pipe Frame with Triforce Tires) and so it's nice to be able to switch it up without getting totally thrown off by how different vehicles/weight classes control.

After I wrap up all the GPs, I occasionally play time trials, but I mostly just play online. So I don't need a lot out of the single-player modes.

Ok thank you. So why is it getting such perfect reviews if online is non existent and the solo play is fairly derivative?

I don't understand the bolded. You can play this game online; you can play with friends or with randoms; you can play races or battle mode; you can also create private rooms/tournaments with custom rules.

That's not non-existent online play.

Neiteio

I played a lot of Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, but I always felt like I was "playing it wrong". Almost because I was expecting there to be some sort of over-arching "campaign mode" when in reality the game just has a bunch of course collections.

To me it almost feels like I exhausted my interest in the game after playing through each track just a couple of times, so it's hard to replay the same tracks over and over again.

Even when I try to play tracks with different characters, it often feels like many characters are objectively worse than others, to the point where no matter how "perfect" I race it seems impossible to come in first with some characters. Do I just need to git gud?
When I feel like playing single-player, I'm perfectly content to go into single-player Vs and race against the computer. I set the CPUs to Hard, track selection to Random, and the track rotation to the max. I just love racing in this game, and it's fun to finish one course and then wonder what course will pop up next.

On GameXplain, they confirmed that the track rotation can now be set to 48, so in Random you can now cycle through every track in the game in one sitting, if you so desire!! (I'm crazy enough to do this — great way to unwind at night.)

And then for multiplayer, how do you guys like to play? Just random exhibition matches? Tournaments? Something else?
Neogaf has its own Tournaments. I think there are 3 different ones.

Expect a couple new ones now that battle mode is actually good.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's great to see Mario Kart get the recognition it deserves it's a series that's always gotten the lower end of review scores in terms of major Nintendo franchises.

I had the same experience with 8. I just played through the different cups/CCs in order like I always have and wound up getting really bored before I was even halfway through. I used to be perfectly fine playing like that, but I think at this point I just need a more structured experience to get me through a game. (I didn't think it entirely worked, but I like what they tried in Sonic Racing Transformed.)

Nintenleo

Two Nintendo retail releases for Switch and they are, today, the best reviewed games of the year. Well, MK8 is basically a Wii U game (and BotW too :p) but it's remarkable anyway.

Can't wait to play the new battle mode with my friends. For the single player, I'll probably go straight to the 200cc.

SgtCobra

Two Nintendo retail releases for Switch and they are, today, the best reviewed games of the year. Well, MK8 is basically a Wii U game (and BotW too :p) but it's remarkable anyway.

Can't wait to play the new battle mode with my friends. For the single player, I'll probably go straight to the 200cc.
Don't you dare to forget about Persona 5 :mad:
Edit: oh shit it's back at 93, nooo

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm

So, how do you guys like to approach Mario Kart games in single-player?
I treat Mario Kart like sports games : I only play ranked online to become the best. I'm among best players at Fifa and suck at Mario Kart though :p

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
good now implement a dlc called mission mode from the ds version.
and make this teh best mario kart known to man.

Oh and dlc all the tracks from other games into this one.

spekkeh

Banned
So Switch' incredibly tepid launch that only Nintendo fans would consider anything else than laughably sparse, now in the span of a little over a month has the two highest rated games of the year (and together with TLoU:R, of the generation)... GG naysayers.

And what's more, Arms, Splatoon and Mario will probably also end up 85-95, and Xenoblade and Fire Emblem 80-90. Nintendo moving from their worst quality year in ratings to their best?

ITSMILNER

Just waiting for Nintendo to announce DLC for this at E3, I would be happy for them to just keep adding onto MK8:D than make a new instalment

I don't understand the bolded. You can play this game online; you can play with friends or with randoms; you can play races or battle mode; you can also create private rooms/tournaments with custom rules.

I think people mistake being able to party up with friends in chat or party up with friends easily through a friends list or in game as non existing online functionality (steam lets you join on friends through the friend list and instantly be added to parties).

Nintendo really needs to create the ability for users to party up prior to joining a game either to chat or to come over as a group into the multiplayer section of the game.

Wiped89

Damn, son.

Part of me wishes I hadn't played 150 hours of Mario Kart 8 already on Wii U.

Ah, who am I kidding? Mario Kart 8 is the only reason the Wii U was worth it for me. I don't even have another game that's broken 30 hours, and only 2 games (NSMBU, SM3DW) which have broken 20.

I'm sort of glad there's no real reason for me to pick it up other than to keep playing online for the coming years. If they'd put new tracks in, I'd need to get a Switch sooner.

As it stands, I can steadfastly hold out until later this year for a Switch with Zelda + MK8 + Mario Odyssey.

I think people mistake being able to party up with friends in chat or party up with friends easily through a friends list or in game as non existing online functionality (steam lets you join on friends through the friend list and instantly be added to parties).

Nintendo really needs to create the ability for users to party up prior to joining a game either to chat or to come over as a group into the multiplayer section of the game.

But system-level party is a system-level feature, not an individual game-level feature. Why should Mario Kart 8 Deluxe get docked for it? You can definitely join up with friends in-game in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as is.

But this is a system-level feature, not an individual game-level feature. Why should Mario Kart 8 Deluxe get docked for it?

It gets docked for this because Nintendo is first party and develop the system in which their games are released on. They are judged at a higher standard because the whole point of this system was to be a home console and portable so that it can be more collaborative. Not to mention this is the deluxe version of a previously developed game so you would expect a few more bells and whistles into their vanilla online process. I am sure they received tons of feed back on their online..

I did notice they added the ability to change karts and characters between games, which is a welcomed addition.

c0de

Nintendo is really the king of first party, they have so many good games... If only third party would give them some love but they choose their position with their hardware.
It's amazing how good the library of wiiu was and it's even better to give more players the opportunity to enjoy their games via switch which is hopefully way more successful than wiiu. Mario Kart is just one of the games.

Luigi Mansion level looks really cool. I wonder if this game will sideline a new Mario Kart for a while. I hope not because they could really improve upon the single player experience I think.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Luigi Mansion level looks really cool. I wonder if this game will sideline a new Mario Kart for a while. I hope not because they could really improve upon the single player experience I think.
Don't expect a new console MK in the next couple years.

ok, those also vary wildly from person to person

now I'm confused lol

I mean across the board some games get a universal "full priced remaster suxxx!!", other times get a universal reception like that doesn't matter. It's not consistent, which is emblematic of remasters being tough to review because they don't know what they're reviewing. It's not a reviewer to reviewer thing, it's a game to game thing.

dolabla

Been watching some of these review videos on my TV and wow the game looks sharp. Colors pop and the 1080p (even with the compression) is a difference maker. Can't wait to replay with the DLC I never bought when I owned the Wii U version.

daffy

Banned

The fact of the matter is, besides unlocking car parts, there's no progression system. No real reward for being a beast because the points are accumulated essentially just from playing alot, and the rubberbanding is so ridiculous that even highly skilled players will take several losses.

Would it really have killed Nintendo to add a badge reward system like COD or some sort of trophy room? Apparently so. Online play is just a glorified time sink.

It gets docked for this because Nintendo is first party and develop the system in which their games are released on. They are judged at a higher standard because the whole point of this system was to be a home console and portable so that it can be more collaborative. Not to mention this is the deluxe version of a previously developed game so you would expect a few more bells and whistles into their vanilla online process. I am sure they received tons of feed back on their online..

I mean, what's going to happen in practice is you're going to find that the Mario Kart community cares a lot less about this than enthusiasts think they should and there's effectively no reason to rate the game based on enthusiasts' wishes vs. the less demanding needs of Mario Kart's target audience.

Unless what you want is for reviews to be even more useless than they already are?

The fact of the matter is, besides unlocking car parts, there's no progression system. No real reward for being a beast because the points are accumulated essentially just from playing alot, and the rubberbanding is so ridiculous that even highly skilled players will take several losses.

Would it really have killed Nintendo to add a badge reward system like COD or some sort of trophy room? Apparently so. Online play is just a glorified time sink.

Honestly? It's Mario Kart. Who gives a fuck?

Timeaisis

Gotta get on GAFcc, man. It's something else.

Yup.

I figure we might get 4 to 6 lobbies

150 normal
150 frantic
200 normal
200 frantic
Battle mode

200cc frantic with two item boxes? Spare me, GAF. Good god.

King_Moc

Banned

God forbid you play a game because you enjoy it.

I hate to break this to you, but all video games are a glorified time sink. Even when you get nice unlocks from playing.

Welcome to video games in general.

Maxinas

This applies to literally every game, with or without online multiplayer, you play for fun, not for worthless achievements.

phanphare

Banned
I mean across the board some games get a universal "full priced remaster suxxx!!", other times get a universal reception like that doesn't matter. It's not consistent, which is emblematic of remasters being tough to review because they don't know what they're reviewing. It's not a reviewer to reviewer thing, it's a game to game thing.

this still doesn't explain how these scores are confusing

also do you have any examples of what you brought up? a metacritic link will suffice

Top Bottom