• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Girlfriend got me a Switch for my Bday and is trying to get into gaming (she currently addicted to Zelda). She already had this one listed as one she wanted us to get, so this is good news to hear it's a must own. Haven't played MK since the Gamecube days.

You are in for a BLAST than
Really a great experience

Great scores, even better than I expected. This game is going to be huge. I know Amazon isn't the best indicator of success, but this game has been sitting at #1 on the video game Best Sellers list for like two weeks. I predict Deluxe will easily outsell the Wii U version, which is pretty crazy, considering it's a three year old enhanced port.

Is it just me or is it crazy how many people on here are saying they haven't played Mario Kart since a decade or two ago?

And now they're jumping in with MK8DX.

Trojan

Welp...RIP any remaining Switch stock on retail shelves.

Nintendo looking smart with how they broke out the releases of their major franchises over the year. This is a perfect time for a post-Zelda bump.

Is it just me or is it crazy how many people on here are saying they haven't played Mario Kart since a decade or two ago?

It is kind of crazy. I'm one of those, haven't played a Mario Kart since N64 and based on the reviews I'll be picking up this game.

centracore

Now that people have played MK8D, does anyone know the answer to this? If I want my username in MK8D to be 'centracore' like my GAF username, is that my Nintendo Account, Nintendo ID, or Switch profile it pulls it from?

vinikun

Neo Member

Talking to a lot of people about the Switch lately, it seems that the Wii/Wii U lost a lot of Nintendo's old fans who owned their consoles up to the Gamecube. With Zelda, I think Nintendo has managed to recapture some of that audience, which might explain why this is also their first MK in a long time.

guek

Banned
94 MC??!

holy-rollins.gif

AniHawk

Talking to a lot of people about the Switch lately, it seems that the Wii/Wii U lost a lot of Nintendo's old fans who owned their consoles up to the Gamecube. With Zelda, I think Nintendo has managed to recapture some of that audience, which might explain why this is also their first MK in a long time.

mario kart wii is almost ten years old. i really don't think nintendo lost fans with the wii given how their traditonal franchises sold.

dkeane

Really wish I wasn't so addicted to Zelda. Maybe I'll wait and pick this up in the fall.
Great reviews as expected.

This is how you Nintendo did a good job. The Switch is like Gamecube 2.0 to people I feel. Like the Switch is the "true successor" to Gamecube and BotW pushed the it really hard.

Welp...RIP any remaining Switch stock on retail shelves.

Nintendo looking smart with how they broke out the releases of their major franchises over the year. This is a perfect time for a post-Zelda bump.

It is kind of crazy. I'm one of those, haven't played a Mario Kart since N64 and based on the reviews I'll be picking up this game.

N64? Man that's so crazy to me lol. No Gamecube or even the handheld Mario Karts?

vinikun

Neo Member
mario kart wii is almost ten years old. i really don't think nintendo lost fans with the wii given how their traditonal franchises sold.

Hmm... it's hard to say. MK for wii might've sold well simply because the Wii sold very well, but how many of those people are new to Nintendo vs. old fans? Not sure. This is just anecdotal from talking to people in their mid 30s who were diehard Nintendo fans, then stopped because the Wii didn't reflect what they loved about classic Nintendo.

The Switch has seemingly turned that around for those same people.

Mory Dunz

luckies

I know people cite 64 or DD, etc as being the best, but the handle alone on MK8 poops on all the older games imo.
In those games I was looking for the next item during the race.
In MK8, I could do the entire race without items and still have fun. I can't say that for any other MK game. (In Ice Ice Outpost, you're not evening thinking about items. Pure racing and corners.)

Not getting MK8D though lol.

Slythe

Haven't played Mario Kart since N64. Girlfriend and I have been looking for a game to play together since we beat Snipper Clips... I guess this is a no brainer?

J@hranimo

Banned

Nintendo is aiming to get lapsed Nintendo fans, and even as anecdotal it appears to be on GAF it could be working. All according to plan :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
Haven't played Mario Kart since N64. Girlfriend and I have been looking fro a game to play together since we beat Snipper Clips... I guess this is a no brainer?

If you haven't played since N64, meaning you missed out on the multiple games that already topped 64 by quite a bit, you're in for a treat. This is the best in the series.

Slythe

If you haven't played since N64, meaning you missed out on the multiple games that already topped 64 by quite a bit, you're in for a treat. This is the best in the series.

I guess I better get my body ready. I indeed have not played since that iteration.

AniHawk

Hmm... it's hard to say. MK for wii might've sold well simply because the Wii sold very well, but how many of those people are new to Nintendo vs. old fans? Not sure. This is just anecdotal from talking to people in their mid 30s who were diehard Nintendo fans, then stopped because the Wii didn't reflect what they loved about classic Nintendo.

The Switch has seemingly turned that around for those same people.

thing is, mario kart's been consistently popular since mario kart ds... and was at its lowest point in popularity on the gba and gamecube. the amount of people jumping in for the switch version from that era shouldn't be significant versus wii owners returning to the series.

luckies

I know people cite 64 or DD, etc as being the best, but the handle alone on MK8 poops on all the older games imo.
In MK8, I could do the entire race without items and still have fun. I can't say that for any other MK game. (In Ice Ice Outpost, you're not evening thinking about items. Pure racing and corners.)

Yeah it's the best MK game.

Nintendo is aiming to get lapsed Nintendo fans, and even as anecdotal it appears to be on GAF it could be working. All according to plan :p

Even thought it's anecdotal I wasn't expecting to hear so many people on here who played in decades ago haven't played it and the Switch has convinced them to get the Switch and play it again.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
luckies

For years I've hated the series. For so long the core gameplay of Mario Kart has been sub par imo. My first kart racer was CTR and every Mario Kart game I played after that seemed like absolute trash in the gameplay department in comparison to me. Mario Kart 8 was the first MK game with core gameplay that felt genuinely solid to me. Took them a while, but they're finally there. Now they just need to give the next game some decent sp content.

Haven't played Mario Kart since N64. Girlfriend and I have been looking for a game to play together since we beat Snipper Clips... I guess this is a no brainer?

If you liked Mario Kart 64, I'd be shocked if you didn't love Mario Kart 8.

Definitely a buy.

I can definitely see why some people might not like it as much, especially if their favorites were the SNES or DS games
, but it's the best Mario Kart for me and it's not close.

Cartho

94!
As someone who buys consoles at launch quite often, this is so much stronger in terms of sheer quality than PS4 and XB1. I'm trying to remember when they got their first true "MUST HAVE" games, but they certainly didn't have 2 in the first 3 months.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm surprised to see people who haven't played MK since 64. They're so much fun; I think the only one I skipped was Double Dash. The ones on GBA, DS, Wii and 3DS were all standouts for me.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It has HD rumble.

Nice! At least I managed to tie him that one session with 54pts, ha.
In what way?

I might not be able to tell the difference myself anyway. People told me Fast RMX uses HD rumble well and yet I genuinely cant feel the difference from regular rumble in that game.

jrDev

I'm on vacation right now and I'm so mad my wife and I couldn't enjoy this as part of our vacation this week! :/

I really, really like Mario Kart 8. The Wii U version retroactively destroyed all other Mario Kart games for me.

That said, I've found that Mario Kart actually isn't the best two player game. The track is kind of empty unless you add in CPU's, and then you'll spend a lot of time competing/interacting with the CPU's instead of each other. Going online together helps a bit, but you're still not interacting much with the person physically next to you.

I actually think Mario Kart is a lot better either online or just in single player. Four player works well enough but in Mario Kart 8 that cuts the frame rate in half, which freaking sucks.

Neiteio

I already own the WiiU version and its DLC, putting in hundreds of hours... but getting MK8DX on Switch still feels like the easiest $60 I've ever spent.

Game is just so good. Can't wait to play on Battle Stadium and crank up the music to the MAX. Dat funky bass!

NateDrake

In what way?

I might not be able to tell the difference myself anyway. People told me Fast RMX uses HD rumble well and yet I genuinely cant feel the difference from regular rumble in that game.

You'll feel when building a boost or releasing from a drift. The rumble will be a subtle touch that matches the boost effect on screen. If you do the boost at the start of a race, the rumble will build up a bit to match the rev of the engine. It's a minor thing.

I really, really like Mario Kart 8. The Wii U version retroactively destroyed all other Mario Kart games for me.

That said, I've found that Mario Kart actually isn't the best two player game. The track is kind of empty unless you add in CPU's, and then you'll spend a lot of time competing/interacting with the CPU's instead of each other. Going online together helps a bit, but you still have a similar problem as with CPU's.

And that's why Double Dash is the best Mario Kart game. Because you can actually play with 2 players, cooperatively, and have a great time

Neiteio

You'll feel when building a boost or releasing from a drift. The rumble will be a subtle touch that matches the boost effect on screen. If you do the boost at the start of a race, the rumble will build up a bit to match the rev of the engine. It's a minor thing.
Hey Nate, completely unrelated, but can you find a way to capture the Battle Stadium music and upload like a five-minute version of it without SFX? :-O

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Already played the shit out of MK8 but I'm in again, being portable is huge.

This game is an absolute joy to play, watch and listen to. You newcomers are in for a hell of a treat.

This narrative of 'the Wii lost Nintendo fans' seems like kind of a myth when you compare how the GameCube did vs how the Wii did. Pretty sure most GameCube owners bought a Wii, they may have stopped using it after 5 years but I'm positive most of them bought one. The WiiU definitely lost people.

Peterthumpa

So the steering assist is kinda genius. Girlfriend would never play well enough without getting frustrated, I guess she'll have tons of fun with the new feature enabled.

And yeah, newcomers will cry of joy after a few hours. This is the best arcade racing game ever.

kevin1025

Banned
I haven't put a ton of time into a Mario Kart game since N64. I played some of the Wii one, but not enough. Can't wait for next Friday, this is going to be an awesome time! It'll be my racing game until Wipeout hits early June... and then I'll just play both, haha.

I'm really excited for this. I've been playing a lot of my Switch with my girlfriend between Snipperclips, World of Goo, and the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, so it'll be nice to have another game to play with her.

This narrative of 'the Wii lost Nintendo fans' seems like kind of a myth when you compare how the GameCube did vs how the Wii did. Pretty sure most GameCube owners bought a Wii, they may have stopped using it after 5 years but I'm positive most of them bought one. The WiiU definitely lost people.

N64 and Gamecube definitely lost more Nintendo fans than Wii.

Wii definitely brought Nintendo fans back, but then Nintendo did very little that was worthwhile to keep them.

Top Bottom