• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe review thread

novacav

Weird that Game Revolution says, "no longer constrained by Wii U's teensy install base." Has Switch sold more then Wii U already? I also never had an issue finding a race online in the Wii U version so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

It's more just that MK8 will now enjoy a long life on a system sure to sell plenty of units. On Wii U, it did quite well relatively speaking, but it would have been a shame for such a standout MK title to exist only within the Wii U install base, where millions won't ever own it compared to say Mario Kart Wii. By the look of things with Switch sales so far, that won't be the case any longer.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
So the steering assist is kinda genius. Girlfriend would never play well enough without getting frustrated, I guess she'll have tons of fun with the new feature enabled.
It really is genius feature: anyone can now play, even a 4 years kid with her older brothers/sisters, she won't ruin their session. Everybody wins.

sirap

Damn. I wish I had friends who gave a damn about Mario Kart. I spent the majority of my childhood playing Mario Kart 64 with my cousins.

Battle mode with strangers just doesn't hold the same appeal :(

Shit talking and red shells go hand in hand.

Seik

Banned
it just went back to 94 on metacritic :O

gquZW7V.gif

Bitanator

Never got a Wii U so missed out on Mario Kart 8, getting a Switch for my birthday next month and going to be playing this and Zelda. I sunk 1000 hours into Mario Kart 7, cannot wait to dive into this one

kevin1025

Banned
Never got a Wii U so missed out on Mario Kart 8, getting a Switch for my birthday next month and going to be playing this and Zelda. I sunk 1000 hours into Mario Kart 7, cannot wait to dive into this one

Both of those games at the same time is dangerous to your free time.

Oersted

This narrative of 'the Wii lost Nintendo fans' seems like kind of a myth when you compare how the GameCube did vs how the Wii did. Pretty sure most GameCube owners bought a Wii, they may have stopped using it after 5 years but I'm positive most of them bought one. The WiiU definitely lost people.

They lost some of the Gamecube traditionalists as in state of the art graphics and traditional controller but they won tons of NES/SNES people back. Hence the success of New Super Mario Bros, DK Returns, The All Stars Collection etc.

Wii U started off with more of the same, which the Gamecube crowd still didn't care about, while the NES/SNES/Arcade crowd had their fill.

Source is my anecdotal evidence.

I'm already balls deep in persona and slowly finishing up zelda with finals around the corner. I don't need any more distractions, but I really want to snag 😬😬😬.

Syinn

Neo Member
I'm surprised so many people are concerned with double dipping having an effect on sales.

MK Wii sold around 36 million copies.
MK8 sold around 8 million copies.

That is a loss of around 28 million.

I know the Wii sold much more than the WiiU but there are tons of Nintendo and MK fans who completely skipped the WiiU altogether. I think this game will easily outsell the WiiU version in the long term.

MK8 is the only reason I bought a Wii U.

It should hopefully get the numbers it deserves with switch.

VanWinkle

Incredible. I can't justify buying it at full price, already having it on Wii U with the DLC, but if it somehow ever becomes a "Greatest Hits" (or whatever Nintendo calls them) I'll definitely pick it up.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't played Mario Kart since N64. Girlfriend and I have been looking for a game to play together since we beat Snipper Clips... I guess this is a no brainer?

I really, really like Mario Kart 8. The Wii U version retroactively destroyed all other Mario Kart games for me.

That said, I've found that Mario Kart actually isn't the best two player game. The track is kind of empty unless you add in CPU's, and then you'll spend a lot of time competing/interacting with the CPU's instead of each other. Going online together helps a bit, but you're still not interacting much with the person physically next to you.

I actually think Mario Kart is a lot better either online or just in single player. Four player works well enough but in Mario Kart 8 that cuts the frame rate in half, which freaking sucks.

Try playing the Grand Prix cups in multiplayer as a co-op experience. Here's how my friends and I play:

We make a a goal of one of us getting first overall in each cup and collecting the first-place trophies for every cup. (You might also make a goal of earning 1st place in every individual race and ending with a perfect score if you want to make it harder.) When you're first learning courses and playing on the harder difficulties (or just new to MK), getting first can be a challenge, so having a teammate can make it more fun and easier. This team approach introduces more strategy and complicates the game a bit. In our case, we'll actively work to make sure certain people keep finishing in first—for example, sacrificing a 1st place for your friend because you finished 6th on the last race but your friend finished in 2nd—to ensure a win at the end. Additionally, some roles start to develop, as people who aren't in first should be on the defensive, preventing CPUs from gaining on the leader and warning the leader when any offensive items are headed their way. Those people should also still want to finish as best as possible because it pushes all the CPUs lower on the point scale and because the best defense of a 1st place racer is an allied 2nd place. It really gives everyone more to think about because they're thinking about how they're doing individually (like normal) but also as a team.

My words might make this sound complicated and thus more work than fun, but as long as you think of yourselves as a team with a common goal, all of the strategy and tactics should come naturally and with little thought.

When my friends and I play this way, we are constantly communicating and have a blast. I think we developed this rhythm with Double Dash and have made Mario Kart a co-op experience ever since. I pretty much exclusively buy the MK games for the co-op experience they provide me and my friends.

Neonep

I loved this on the Wii U and bought all the DLC. I just can't justify buying a new console for a game I already own.

Clopezi

Anyone knows if it's possible to play 8 players in two switches, 4 in each one? (TV mode of course, not in the Switch screen)

Thanks!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
So I have an Amazon gift card and am thinking of using it to preorder Mario Kart 8. Will it get delivered to me on the 28th? The reason I ask is because I plan on going on a trip the next day and want the game with me while on the plane.

f@luS

More than a member.
I'm so in awe when I play fast rmx. Can't wait for this

It's an insane portable system with ok tv capabilities. But Mario kart like this on handheld ... wow

So Nintendo now has the two highest rated games of the year(MK tied with Persona 5).

Now we'll see how ARMS does (a true test of sorts). New major IP by Nintendo. I'm really skeptical about that one.
Same, I don't have very high expectations for ARMS. I don't think reviewers will be kind to it either.

Pinky

Banned

Yeah, say goodbye to life for a while. You're gonna be busy.

I envy you

Flintty

Fucking hell, some high scores there. Likely deserved; I played to death on the U and will likely get for the Switch when I'm done with Zelda.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Same, I don't have very high expectations for ARMS. I don't think reviewers will be kind to it either.

ARMS is like Splatoon. If it does well commercially they may be kind to it on a second go around but really best case scenario is plus 80. At that range the review score won't deter people from buying slightly (though it may not greatly enthuse). Lower than that and it may very well deter people from buying it. Biggest question mark is single player content and how good exactly 1v1 etc is.

ZeoVGM

Banned
8>7>SMK>DS>64>DD>Wii>SS

That is the Official Mario Kart Power Rankings.

With DX most likely the new number uno.

I find it weird that you have SMK so high but SS at the bottom considering it's the same overall style of game and SMK is unlockable in it.

SMK would be near the bottom for me. Once the nostalgia is put aside, the others are simply better games.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Puyo Puyo Tetris and Mario Kart 8 on handheld.

What a time to be alive.
The Puyo Puyo Tetris demo is an example of how a demo can sell a game. Was not on my radar one little bit and it still would not have been after it came out had I not been given the chance to play it. I'm more excited for Puyo Puyo Tetris than I am for Mario Kart. That demo was sooooo fun. More demos please.

Is it just me or is it crazy how many people on here are saying they haven't played Mario Kart since a decade or two ago?

And now they're jumping in with MK8DX.
Same with me. Last Mario Kart I played was 64, can't wait to pick it up on switch. Switch makes me excited about gaming unlike any console in a long time.

Neiteio

Hmm, I've never been much of a puzzle person, but I am kind of curious about Puyo Puyo Tetris. Looks so colorful. Is there a mode in it that eases you into playing?

My girlfriend isn't a gamer and when I told her this is coming out she's been really excited. Wants me to buy the wheels too... (not gonna happen).

That Mario Kart effect, lots of people like it.

Glad to see it's reviewing well!

Top Bottom