• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom |OT| Nick Jonas can beat you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
5zcjeV3.jpg

Note: This is now a catch all topic for all seasons of Kingdom so please post accordingly, thanks.

Welcome to the Kingdom OT. Let's keep it clean. No rough stuff. Touch gloves and let's begin.

Kingdom airs Wednesdays on Audience Network in the US, and following Mondays on Bravo in Canada. 2 episodes have aired so far, but you can catch up online at the official web sites linked below. It's also already been renewed for two more seasons, so don't worry about it getting cancelled.

Premise

Kingdom is a drama set in Venice Beach, California. Centered around the Kulina family, and set against the backdrop of the brutal and unforgiving world of MMA, Kingdom follows the the trials and tribulations of these characters inside and outside the cage.

Cast

Alvey Kulina (Portrayed by Frank Grillo)
Alvey is the patriarch of the Kulina family. A successful fighter back in his glory days, he now runs Navy St. MMA with his girlfriend Lisa. Having two sons wishing to follow in his footsteps, Alvey is now transitioning from fighter to teacher. Yet he is struggling to accept his new role in life, worrying that his best days are behind him.

Lisa Prince (Portrayed by Kiele Sanchez)
Lisa is all business, and wishes to make Navy St. MMA into a successful business and eventually a franchise. Much savvier than Alvey when it comes to making the gym run smoothly, she is level headed and direct. After rebuilding her life following a messy break-up from former fiance Ryan, she grew to love Alvey and his sons (from a previous relationship), now considering them her family, but with Ryan back in the picture, she finds her past and present life beginning to intertwine in a way she does not appreciate.

Jay Kulina (Portrayed by Jonathan Tucker)
Alvey's oldest son and a total loose canon. Once on the road to becoming a successful MMA fighter, his hard partying ways got him blacklisted from the sport and has strained his relationship with his father considerably. Now no one will take him seriously, but he still wishes to get back into the ring and show his mettle. Fiercely loyal to his brother Nate and mother Christina, Jay holds Alvey responsible for the difficult situation their family is now in.

Nate Kulina (Portrayed by Nick Jonas)
Alvey's youngest son, and the peacemaker of the family. He cares for father and brother very deeply, and wants nothing more than to see them reconcile. A talented up and coming MMA fighter in his own right, he is now the center of Alvey's life. But things were not always so smooth with his father, not to mention a mother he barely remembers. Amongst all the family drama and pressures of the MMA world, he seems to uncertain of his place in life.

Ryan Wheeler (Portrayed by Matt Lauria)
Former star wrestler and past fiance of Lisa, Ryan had it all until he landed himself in prison. After a four year stretch, he emerges a changed man, but finds Lisa now in a relationship with his good friend and mentor Alvey. Seemingly accepting of their relationship, Ryan wants to turn his life around and Alvey is eager to help him do that. But does he still have the fire inside him that made him such a force four years ago? And is he really at peace with Lisa and Alvey being together?

Christina Kulina (Portrayed by Joanna Going)
Alvey's former wife, and mother to both Jay and Nate. A tumultuous past filled with drugs and mounting emotional problems has left her life in shambles, she is now estranged from her family. Jay blames Alvey for Christina's current state of being, but Nate was too young to remember why his mother is no longer a part of his life. The real reasoning behind Alvey and Christina's breakup remains to be seen, but as is, it is a considerable strain on their relationship with their kids, and it shows no signs of improving any time soon.

Media

Trailer #1
Trailer #2

Links

DirecTV web site
Bravo web site

In Closing...

Watch this show. It's great. I feel like this is a show a lot of Gaffers would really love if they just gave it a shot.

Pro Tip: You don't need to be a MMA fan to appreciate the show. I actually don't care for MMA fighting at all. Like, I really don't care for it, and yet I totally love this show.

(Also, anyone that wants to make a better banner image, please feel free to do so.)

Image credit, Jif credit

Thanks for reading.

ZjsTZ13.gif

I hope Nick Jonas' character does something soon. He just mopes around his house all day. He apparently can't stage fight either because his fight scene had tons of cuts and random people blocking the action.

I hope Nick Jonas' character does something soon. He just mopes around his house all day. He apparently can't stage fight either because his fight scene had tons of cuts and random people blocking the action.
I'd probably mope around too if that happened to me.

Anyway, he's hinted that his storyline this season has to do with
his sexuality and finding himself.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
This had been on my radar since it was first announced (as 'Navy St.' which was a much better title than 'Kingdom') but after seeing the trailer a few months back, I decided it looked awful and my interest in it all but died.

The first few episodes have been pretty well received though so if the acclaim still holds at the end of the season I'll probably give it a shot.

(Also, you forgot to mention in the OP that the show has already been renewed for two more seasons)

LOCK

I have this recorded but haven't had time to watch yet. Thought it looked sort of generic with the story but I will give it a shot.

This had been on my radar since it was first announced (as 'Navy St.' which was a much better title than 'Kingdom') but after seeing the trailer a few months back, I decided it looked awful and my interest in it all but died.

The first few episodes have been pretty well received though so if the acclaim still holds at the end of the season I'll probably give it a shot.

(Also, you forgot to mention in the OP that the show has already been renewed for two more seasons)

I have this recorded but haven't had time to watch yet. Thought it looked sort of generic with the story but I will give it a shot.
Best new drama of the season, hands down. Don't wait, participate.

Vert boil

I've only seen the first episode so far.
The pilot didn't grab me and some of the plot was a little eye-rolly but I'm going to watch the new couple of episodes. I don't see how it could turn into anything interesting but you never know.

JimiNutz

Banned
Big MMA fan.
Didn't know this show even existed but will most definitely check it out.
How are the fights portrayed? Realistically or OTT Hollywood shit?

Matush

Can someone who doesn't watch/like MMA enjoy this? I really enjoyed Lights Out (aired on FX in 2011 I think) and I wasn't big boxing fan either.

Two episodes in and i'm falling in love with this show. Very, very, very fucking good. Love Alvey and Ryan.
Can someone who doesn't watch/like MMA enjoy this? I really enjoyed Lights Out (aired on FX in 2011 I think) and I wasn't big boxing fan either.
Yes, you absolutely can enjoy it if you don't watch MMA. It's first of all a show about people and their relationships.

Yay, glad for this thread. Thanks Hours Left!

But yeah, I'm not even into MMA that much but this show so far is great. Only two episodes in and I'm already hooked.

Loved it. The father and older brother are both good actors that I like so I'm going to give the show a shot for the season. Havn't seen the 2nd episode yet, I'll be doing that later on.

Did you even read the OT??? ;_;

Two episodes in and i'm falling in love with this show. Very, very, very fucking good. Love Alvey and Ryan.

Yes, you absolutely can enjoy it if you don't watch MMA. It's first of all a show about people and their relationships.
Yay, glad for this thread. Thanks Hours Left!

But yeah, I'm not even into MMA that much but this show so far is great. Only two episodes in and I'm already hooked.
The first two episodes are SO GOOD. I don't even love MMA and I love this show so much.
Back up has arrived.

Though sadly I'm in another time warp situation, so I won't be able to comment on episodes on Wednesday, but at least we're getting them in Canada within a week so I won't actually be behind.

maxcriden

I wouldn't say it's overly depressing or violent. There's some heavy stuff happening, but it's not a bleak show. At least not yet.

Thanks for the info, HL! I'll keep it in mind for now but probably wait to see what people think of it when the season's over.

Episode 3

Yoooooo the mom is.....wow. Just wow.

Mad respect for Jay not going all out on that pimp in the beginning. This episode made me like him a lot more, seeing him not fucked up acting a fool.

Lisa handling herself like a boss. Such a cute drunk tho.

Ryan da gawd. Best roommate ever.

I CANT wait to see Jay completely find that pimp alone and fuck him up.

I LOVE the music they have in each episode, and this one was no different.

Vert boil

I was a lot more positive about the show after the third episode but the fourth tempered that a bit. But unless it really shits the bed I'm in for the whole season now.

Sloane

Banned
Sad to see GAF still hasn't really picked up on this show.
Yeah, why is nobody watching this? It's Friday Night Lights with MMA instead of football. Well, more or less. Then again, nobody watched FNL either despite it being one of the best show of the last decade, so there's that...

They're finally addressing the sexuality storyline they've been teasing for Nick's character! Too bad it seems to be going down a rage & shame path. I was hoping for something positive for his character.

ivysaur12

Banned
They're finally addressing the sexuality storyline they've been teasing for Nick's character! Too bad it seems to be going down a rage & shame path. I was hoping for something positive for his character.

I'm two episodes behind so I guess I'm catching up.

I'm two episodes behind so I guess I'm catching up.
It sorta pops up outta nowhere, not in a nonsensical way, but literally somethings just happens when you don't expect it. They don't really go deep into yet, but they are definitely laying the groundwork.

ivysaur12

Banned
Watching the 6th episode, fucking awkward when Nick's mom is trying to use Nick's disease to get pain meds for herself. Ahhhhhhhhh

EDIT: oops never mind

How authentic is it for people who care about fighting?

About fighting in general or the actual sport and techniques behind it? The choregraphies are great and looks fluid and more realistic than pretty much any show on TV right now. I especially really liked the brawl that happened between two of the main cast
Alvey and Ryan

ivysaur12

Banned
Watching 108 right now:

a;kosdfja;kldsfja;lkdsfja;sdkfjiajweakl;dfjadkf

Hours Left, you're right. I'm on my edge of the seat this entire episode. The long term story arcs on this show are very well done -- the payoff we're getting now is pretty fantastic.

Watching 108 right now:

a;kosdfja;kldsfja;lkdsfja;sdkfjiajweakl;dfjadkf

Hours Left, you're right. I'm on my edge of the seat this entire episode. The long term story arcs on this show are very well done -- the payoff we're getting now is pretty fantastic.
I know, right?

C'mon GAF, get in on this.

Sloane

Banned
Next episode is the season finale, right? Will be interesting where they're going with this.

Still really like the show, even though it feels like they're making things WAY too easy for the characters at times. The parol officer, for example -- why waste the potential drama and conflict of him finding out the truth for a moment of stupid comic relief? Same for the knife attack / murder and a few other plots. Seems a bit weird, like they're shying away from making things really difficult for their characters.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Seems as though people are still pretty high on this, so I guess I'll catch up once the season ends next week.

*sigh* add one more show to my pile...

ivysaur12

Banned
Next episode is the season finale, right? Will be interesting where they're going with this.

Still really like the show, even though it feels like they're making things WAY too easy for the characters at times. The parol officer, for example -- why waste the potential drama and conflict of him finding out the truth for a moment of stupid comic relief? Same for the knife attack / murder and a few other plots. Seems a bit weird, like they're shying away from making things really difficult for their characters.

Yup. The parole officer bit was just stupid. Either don't bring it up, or use it to put your characters in a very dangerous position. That's probably one of my biggest criticisms of the show that the show seems to like Ryan and Jay too much.

There's no point to put a character in a corner and "see how it goes", but the parole aspect of the show seemed settled. It didn't really need to be there for an act break. If they couldn't figure out anything interesting to do with the parole officer, just don't bring it up.

That being said, I do enjoy the emotional chess between everyone -- that's working a lot better than some of the external issues (the hit and run, the parole officer). Keith could still fuck up and say something, but I'm not betting on it because the series really doesn't want Ryan in trouble with the law.

The parole officer bit was so odd. I hope that's the end of that. Besides that, everything is moving along a great pace, though I have no idea how the finale is gonna turn out. I have a real feeling of impending dread.

Also, Matt Lauria and Jonathan Tucker have outrageous bodies. Truly, truly outrageous.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah, why is nobody watching this? It's Friday Night Lights with MMA instead of football. Well, more or less. Then again, nobody watched FNL either despite it being one of the best show of the last decade, so there's that...

Because it seems to be only on DirecTV and I am not about that life

Frog-fu

Banned
I marathoned the 9 episodes a couple days back. I am fucking loving this show. Had no idea Nate was played by one of the Jonas Brothers until after I caught up. That was a genuine surprise.

Jay is hands down my favourite character out of them all.

The season finale is up tonight. I'm glad we're getting two more seasons (or at least 20 more episodes).

Judging by the activity in this thread, or lack thereof, this show hasn't gotten that much attention. Which is a shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom