• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

frank. - The $180 Phone

CazTGG

Didn't see a thread for this so I thought i'd make one since it seems like an interesting project on Indiegogo. An Ottawa student is currently trying to raise enough funding for a $180 (USD) phone called frank., a 5.5' phone with the following specs for $180 USD:

iross2cinvodhfsnlvu7.png
The market definitely seems aimed a younger demographic with its "stick it to the man" sales pitch that's trying to offer a mid-range phone for a lower cost than one would expect from current offerings. The campaign just launched today and currently raised over 45K of its planned 250K goal.
Link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/frank-just-another-f-king-phone-android-smartphone#/

Comparison:
giphy.gif

sjchz4bzvfpiutx7akcx.jpg

Pay $1,000 for a phone if old.

EDIT: You may want to read this if you're interested in this project - http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/09/05/frank-isnt-just-phone-phony/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What's the catch? Many of these phones have little margin already...

I'd be in for that price, but not for a Kickstarter campaign. If it makes it to market in a reasonable timeframe (ie doesn't take 2 years and severely outdated) I'll grab one.

This already exists and I bought one last year.:

Blu Vivio 5R

$183.00

5.5” Full HD Display with Curved Glass; 8.1mm Slim Metal design with Fingerprint Scanner and Encrypted file management system

13MP Sony IMX258 Main Camera with Phase Detection Autofocus and 8MP wide-angle Selfie Camera

MediaTek 6753 64-Bit 1.3GHz Octa Core Processor, 32GB Internal memory 3GB RAM and Micro SD up to 64GB

Equipped with 3,150 mAh Battery and DTS Surround Sound

4G LTE, (2/4/7/12/17), 4G HSPA+ (850/1700/1900/2100): US Compatibility Nationwide on all GSM Networks including AT&T, T-Mobile, Cricket, MetroPCS, Straight Talk, Pure Talk USA, and others.

Fat4all

Banned
Do note that, even if the campaign doesn't reach its goal, the campaign will keep the money it raised unlike Kickstarter.

No, this is a fixed funding campaign, so they only get the money if they raise all of it.

8xhxfLQ.png

With Indiegogo, 'flexible funding' means campaigns get whatever is raised.

Syriel

Didn't see a thread for this so I thought i'd make one since it seems like an interesting project on Indiegogo. An Ottawa student is currently trying to raise enough funding for a $180 (USD) phone called frank., a 5.5' phone with the following specs for $180 USD:

Congrats. Some college kid figured out how to order OEM in bulk from MediaTek or (more likely) a Chinese reseller.

There is no inventing going on here, and don't expect a whole lot of Android updates (assuming you even get a piece of hardware).

Quonny

So it's actually a $280 phone, that isn't supported by Verizon, with a cringeworthy crowdfunding campaign by a teenager and some random business dude who has no real experience.

Well, sign me up.

99Luffy

Banned
Just get a G5, or wait next year for a G6. LG always seems to drop the price on last years flagships model to $200 close to holidays.

MUnited83

For you.
Alright deal for the price, but might as well but Chinese brand phones with the same specs which will have better support and bigger community making ROMs

louiedog

Just get a G5, or wait next year for a G6. LG always seems to drop the price on last years flagships model to $200 close to holidays.

The G5 suffers from a boot loop issue that hit a few LG phones. Even replacements people get under warranty seem to get it again eventually so I wouldn't risk it. I think they fixed it in the G6 and extended the warranty to 2 years so I'm waiting for that to hit <$400 for my upgrade.

In 2 years time when my phone has worn into its planned obsolescence, I will get a $100 smart phone or a super cheap dumb phone.
I'm ready to decrease my connectivity.
Plus everything is too expensive.

Good specs for the price, but I dunno about a crowdfunded phone. Seems like the sort of thing you'd get burned on.

I do like that it's affordable with good specs. I still miss the hell out of the Nexus line though as I hate physical buttons and non-stock Android. My old Nexus 5 is getting a bit long in the tooth but I have no idea what to replace it with as the Pixel costs 10 million dollars and other phones either have stupid buttons on the front like this one or non-stock Android.

Top Bottom