• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

frank. - The $180 Phone

Jonnax

Yea but who builds the phone for $180. Chinese children? Serious question

The cost of labour is lower in China and phones have become commodity. They fly off the conveyor belt.

But yeah. There's a likelyhood of child workers. Especially on these devices from unknown manufacturers.

Why didn't they contacted that factory, tried to get some patent on a simple design and bulk ordered? Seems like a good opportunity to actually try create some kind of partnership (even if the phone would be shitty) instead of doing something so silly that it would immediately be caught as a mere reselling of an existing product.

Did this people forgot the internet exists?

CazTGG

Why didn't they contacted that factory, tried to get some patent on a simple design and bulk ordered? Seems like a good opportunity to actually try create some kind of partnership (even if the phone would be shitty) instead of doing something so silly that it would immediately be caught as a mere reselling of an existing product.

frank.ly my dear, they didn't give a damn.

Fuchsdh

I can't really blame them. The internet tech press has a pretty bad history of fawning over Kickstarters/crowdfunded ideas and never following up. Just think of all those videos that get shared on Facebook for vaporware products.

They probably thought they'd get away with it like so many others had. Probably their in-your-face pitch just got them too much attention, though.

tenor.gif

I get it coz that's Frank

Glix

Whats crazy if that they had just been honest, like "hey, anyone want cheap phone? We are all going to pool our money so we can get a great bulk price from China!" they might have actually hit their goal and put a few bucks in their pockets.

Sounds cool!

"Indiegogo"

*Closes tab*

Edit: Oh, it was a scam. At least they caught it now rather than when hundreds or thousands of people were scammed out of their money.

Lunaray

My personal guideline for crowdfunding projects is to never invest in electronic hardware campaigns. They seem to either have a very high failure rate, deliver inferior products, or are delayed to the point where they are soundly beaten to the market by established players. Not to mention this project was so obviously a scam.

That Android police article is savage

You're simply buying a generic Android phone that already exists, with the promise of support from a student going to college and his youth leadership coach.

But I always buy my flagship android phones from youth leadership coaches...

Top Bottom