• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Classic Games team on W3 "We have some big ideas that people will be excite"

Recently found out that Reddit user u/Forkxx recently did an interview with Blizzard Classic Games team talking about Wacraft 3 and it's future

His original source is on Portuguese but he also posted a translated version of his interview on a Warcraft 3 related subreddit

So besides the upcoming map changes and obvious balance changes (which let's be fair, WC3 needs it even if it's this late to the party) what else do you guys think these guys will change? Proper widescreen support? New heroes? Or even free base version + remastered coming soon?

Syf

Banned
Was just posting about a WC3 remaster yesterday. Really excited to hear what's in store. I'm thrilled with the SC remaster so have high hopes they'll do WC3 well.

Jinroh

Not sure the game needs a remaster, just proper widescreen support and Blizzard app support would be fine for me.

Honestly, i'd get it for the custom games. That was my jam. I don't know what improvements they could make around that. Perhaps allow higher quality model imports?

Then again, all the janky-ass Goku models in WC3 were a treat.

Syf

Banned
Not sure the game needs a remaster, just proper widescreen support and Blizzard app support would be fine for me.
Yeah that's what I mean, a remaster like what SC is getting. Widescreen, launcher integration, spruce up the models, untouched gameplay aside from balance changes they want to make. And make sure the old custom games are still compatible.

Arkeband

Banned
They're already fucking with SC's remaster too much for me to want to buy it (unit and building skins: it sucked in SC2, why port this horseshit backwards?), so I'm not optimistic about getting an actual honest-to-god remaster of WC3 that isn't going to introduce a bunch of Lootbox-era Blizzard fuckery.

kirblar

Well, the game received at least 2 balance patches this year with a 3rd one coming soon... woops
Patches to fix bugs are not balance patches!

The problem with touching balance on legacy games is that the people currently playing aren't going to want to relearn the game. HDRemix should be a warning to other devs-just leave stuff alone. The audience this stuff is for is not interested in them.

Saganator

I'm considering rekindling dead friendships so I can have someone to play a new WC3 with. Playing as Undead was so damn fun.

I don't think even they know how that could work story wise now. So I doubt it will happen.

Option 1: Ignore WoW and just tell a story continuing off from Frozen Throne.

Option 2: Retell WoW as a plot driven RTS focusing on hero units like the Orc Frozen Throne campaign. Create actual characters to fill in for generic "heroes" sort of like Rexxar was in Frozen Throne.

Option 3: Reboot! (plz no :[)

Option 4: New story set after the most recent events in WoW. Still Horde vs. Alliance but with mostly new characters. Might alienate anyone who hasn't played WoW though.

None are perfect but it could be done. I'd prefer the first one but in thinking about it Option 2 also has a lot of potential. It probably wouldn't play like the "real" Warcraft 4 we all want though.

I want a balance patch. Anything to vary hero picks in ladder games is welcome in my opinion. Fuck the blademaster!

Blademaster, Death Knight and Demon Hunter are such bullshit lol. Theyd have to address those three for me to want to take ladder seriously again, I don't want another decade of wind walk

Option 2: Retell WoW as a plot driven RTS focusing on hero units like the Orc Frozen Throne campaign. Create actual characters to fill in for generic "heroes" sort of like Rexxar was in Frozen Throne.

Option 4: New story set after the most recent events in WoW. Still Horde vs. Alliance but with mostly new characters. Might alienate anyone who hasn't played WoW though.

None are perfect but it could be done. I'd prefer the first one but in thinking about it Option 2 also has a lot of potential. It probably wouldn't play like the "real" Warcraft 4 we all want though.

Or set it in the future. Theres an official comic with old Anduin Wrynn in a draenei spaceship. Wc4 could start there, making ample room for WoW expacs inbetween.

Or set it in the future. Theres an official comic with old Anduin Wrynn in a draenei spaceship. Wc4 could start there, making ample room for WoW expacs inbetween.

I really wouldn't want to fight the Void in a WC RTS though.

Id appreciate a Burning Legion playable race in a possible WC4

Chindogg

Patches to fix bugs are not balance patches!

The problem with touching balance on legacy games is that the people currently playing aren't going to want to relearn the game. HDRemix should be a warning to other devs-just leave stuff alone. The audience this stuff is for is not interested in them.

To be fair, balance is kinda thrown out of wack in TFT.

It wouldn't hurt to revisit the balance to at least make undead viable again.

They're already fucking with SC's remaster too much for me to want to buy it (unit and building skins: it sucked in SC2, why port this horseshit backwards?), so I'm not optimistic about getting an actual honest-to-god remaster of WC3 that isn't going to introduce a bunch of Lootbox-era Blizzard fuckery.

.... Don't use them then? They're pretty cosmetic, i don't see the problem there. This kind of attitude just looks like someone who wants to be upset.

I mean, what else can Blizzard do? They recreate all the original assets from scratch in 4k, offer new ways to experience the classic game with some light optional cosmetic options at a low price.

If you don't like that, they updated the original game to patch exploits, make it compatible with the latest Windows, and to top it off made the game 100% forward compatible with the remaster for playing online.

Literally and realistically, how much more could a company do to cater for everyone with a 20 year old game?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I'm considering rekindling dead friendships so I can have someone to play a new WC3 with. Playing as Undead was so damn fun.

Undead was probably my favourite too. I used to main them before moving on to Random because each race was a blast to play as.

Not to mention some of the best custom games ever. Id be all over this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't think even they know how that could work story wise now. So I doubt it will happen.

I imagine they would just use the alternate dimension they made for Warlords of Draenor.

The problem though is that they want to reinvent the RTS genre because it's not doing so hot anymore, so any attempt at a project like that will likely be a loooooooooooooong way off.

Give it the Starcraft 4K Treatment and be done with it.

They probably have someone working on Warcraft 4, as a way to reinvent RTS genre and set up a new major conflict for the Warcraft universe, once Legion + beyond are done....unless they want to purely go back to Horde vs Alliance

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Give it the Starcraft 4K Treatment and be done with it.

They probably have someone working on Warcraft 4, as a way to reinvent RTS genre and set up a new major conflict for the Warcraft universe, once Legion + beyond are done....unless they want to purely go back to Horde vs Alliance

This is the correct take. Leave the balance alone (or make it optional) and upres all the assests with proper widescreen support. I'd pay for that for sure.

"We have some big ideas that people will be excited about – and we’re excited too – but first we need to get the basics right, and earn the community’s trust to make larger decisions in the future."

Wanted something more concrete. Have a soft spot for WC3, it was the game in my adolescence, hope we get a sequel ... when I hit 50.

Proelite

WC4 will have to adopt these MOBA mechanics in order have a chance of being as relevant as their last RTSes.

1. MP should be focused around 3v3 up to 5v5. I would say go far as possible as to not balance or support 1v1 mode at all.
2. Teams win lose together. No elimination of individual players from a game should be possible.
3. Lots of heroes / mini faction pool to draft from, with different roles such as support, scouting, and late game carry.
4. Integrated twitch / game streaming support from the start.

Mupod

Warcraft 3 is probably still in my top 5 most played games of all time, even if I haven't touched it in over a decade. I still regularly play all kinds of stuff with my old WC3 friends.

I'd really like the option to play the campaign in co-op. I think that'd be a fun nostalgia trip for us. I remember that fans had made multiplayer maps to let you do this but official support would be neat.

Top Bottom