• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Classic Games team on W3 "We have some big ideas that people will be excite"

Swig_

Wish they would just make a Warcraft 4, but I'm not sure how they'd do that or if I'd want it considering what they've done with WoW.

Not interested in playing old games I've played through before. I'd like new games.

Woorloog

Banned
Hyperbole much? SC2 is great

The story is impressively bad.

Warcraft 3 is a cliche storm. But it is executed nicely and entertainingly, with some interesting characters, and proper level of hammy acting.

Starcraft 2 just fails at every story point, more or less. OK, voice acting is reasonably good, but that's about it.

Wish they would just make a Warcraft 4, but I'm not sure how they'd do that or if I'd want it considering what they've done with WoW.

Between WoW and Starcraft 2, i kinda don't want Warcraft 4 at all. I expect it would be a fun game to play but i regard the setting and story quite important parts of a game, and... well. It is no longer Warcraft i liked so long ago.

Truant

W3 is my favorite RTS campaign of all time, although I haven't tried many that lately. I just don't like to jive with too many units. Dawn of War 2 was also very good, a close second.

I'd love to replay it + the expansion with touched up graphics.

DxD

Banned
WC3 remastered+map editorial=never need to buy any new game for ages.

I played WC3 DOTA for over a decade, high school all the way til I graduated college.
So crazy because HoN came out then LoL all at the same time when WC3 DoTA scene was dying out.
Wow...DoTA has been with me for nearly 2x decades.

I hope someone will recreate something like WC3 DoTA again.

Rizific

Warcraft 3 is a cliche storm. But it is executed nicely and entertainingly, with some interesting characters, and proper level of hammy acting.

Starcraft 2 just fails at every story point, more or less. OK, voice acting is reasonably good, but that's about it.

Between WoW and Starcraft 2, i kinda don't want Warcraft 4 at all. I expect it would be a fun game to play but i regard the setting and story quite important parts of a game, and... well. It is no longer Warcraft i liked so long ago.

assuming one gives a shit about story and/or basing the quality of a GAME based on its story is ridiculous. to me at least. cut it all out for all i care. just give me a fun RTS campaign in the WC universe is all im asking. id take a remake of wc2 before wc3, didnt care much for the hero stuff.

Forkxx

Neo Member
Recently found out that Reddit user u/Forkxx recently did an interview with Blizzard Classic Games team talking about Wacraft 3 and it's future

His original source is on Portuguese but he also posted a translated version of his interview on a Warcraft 3 related subreddit

So besides the upcoming map changes and obvious balance changes (which let's be fair, WC3 needs it even if it's this late to the party) what else do you guys think these guys will change? Proper widescreen support? New heroes? Or even free base version + remastered coming soon?

I'm so happy someone posted this on NeoGAF. Thanks AlfredX1990!

Woorloog

Banned
assuming one gives a shit about story and/or basing the quality of a GAME based on its story is ridiculous. to me at least. cut it all out for all i care. just give me a fun RTS campaign in the WC universe is all im asking. id take a remake of wc2 before wc3, didnt care much for the hero stuff.

I have never been into multiplayer of Starcraft or Starcraft 2 (and Warcraft 3 only to an extent), so that part doesn't really matter to me.
Campaign? It is fun and all, but story and characters and all that is a big part of the campaign, and it sucks. And even its gameplay aspects are flawed, something i realized while playing some missions again. The game has very flawed approach of "get new unit per mission, it solves all your problems"*. That is the tradition in RTS campaigns but it is a poor system. Give me the whole arsenal from the beginning and let me find my own style, allow actually emergent gameplay.

*EDIT That is on normal. Harder difficulties require a bit more but i rarely start games on hard nowadays and i'd prefer to have something interesting on easier difficulties.

Fun gameplay is not enough for me. A video game is a multimedia. It is not just interactivity, it is sum of its all parts. And writing is part of that.
Rarely one rotten part is enough for me to turn down a game but it leaves a bad impression for the future. And Blizzard's post-Warcraft 3 stuff has been that heavily, despite them managing to make fun gameplay.

Starcraft's campaign's strength was its characters. Maybe not to the most original bunch, but they were interesting and charismatic in their own way. And that delivery sold the world, the plot and everything else. While invested in parts of the game, others feel more interesting too. And Starcraft II fails at this.

And with what WOW has done to Warcraft, i really doubt Blizzard can craft something as fun as original Starcraft or Warcraft 3 at this point. I expect what they make to contain fun gameplay, but as i said, that is not enough, i want a bit more than that.

Magnus

Option 1: Ignore WoW and just tell a story continuing off from Frozen Throne.

Option 2: Retell WoW as a plot driven RTS focusing on hero units like the Orc Frozen Throne campaign. Create actual characters to fill in for generic "heroes" sort of like Rexxar was in Frozen Throne.

Option 3: Reboot! (plz no :[)

Option 4: New story set after the most recent events in WoW. Still Horde vs. Alliance but with mostly new characters. Might alienate anyone who hasn't played WoW though.

None are perfect but it could be done. I'd prefer the first one but in thinking about it Option 2 also has a lot of potential. It probably wouldn't play like the "real" Warcraft 4 we all want though.

I would KILL for Option 2 as a current-gen quality Action RPG that kind of controls like a Kingdom Hearts or FFXV. Retell as much of WoW and its campaigns and raids as possible, include a limited open world that incorporates many of Azeroth's zones and cities, and rejig all the classic encounters, like Ragnaros, Onyxia, Nefarian, etc to work in an action RPG format with a smaller party. Could be so wonderful.

Woorloog

Banned
For Warcraft 3 players...

Noticed this recently:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/rise-of-the-blood-elves-v3-0.245153/

This is a custom campaign, based on WoW's story of Blood Elves. Has Blood Elf faction, which is more than just modified humans. Bunch of custom heroes.
It is very well made campaign. Levels are very well crafted, not just gameplay-wise but also cosmetically. Harder than any of original campaigns though.

Those who are interested in playing some of WoW's story in RTS form maybe interested.

Unfortunately, the story sucks because the source material sucks... But the campaign's author has made good job on it anyway.

Forkxx

Neo Member
The recent Hearthstone expansion is a thing that I think is leading to a WC3 remaster. Hell, their webpage is www.thefrozenthrone.com

I can easily see an announcement at Blizzcon.

Yup, they did the expansion announcement in China because there are so many people that still plays Warcraft 3 there with even an exclusive plataform (NetEase). Talk about teasing their fans.

Isaccard

They're already fucking with SC's remaster too much for me to want to buy it (unit and building skins: it sucked in SC2, why port this horseshit backwards?), so I'm not optimistic about getting an actual honest-to-god remaster of WC3 that isn't going to introduce a bunch of Lootbox-era Blizzard fuckery.

You...don't have to use them?

I imagine they would just use the alternate dimension they made for Warlords of Draenor.

The problem though is that they want to reinvent the RTS genre because it's not doing so hot anymore, so any attempt at a project like that will likely be a loooooooooooooong way off.

Modern Blizzard is not a company I expect innovation from. I mean SC2 was a step back from what a lot of other modern RTS did. Blizzard fans don't really seem to expect innovation either, so them holding off on WC4 for the reason of wanting to reinvent a genre seems like a recipe for disaster.

Swig_

Yeah. That's my concern. I'm picturing the War4 that I wanted back after I finished War3. Not what they would make today.

Modern Blizzard is not a company I expect innovation from. I mean SC2 was a step back from what a lot of other modern RTS did. Blizzard fans don't really seem to expect innovation either, so them holding off on WC4 for the reason of wanting to reinvent a genre seems like a recipe for disaster.

In what way? There has never been a better campaign mode gameplay wise. Extremely varied missions, lots of customization in units, plenty of optional objectives and missions, etc. There isn't a modern rts that comes close.

While the story is definitely not anything to write home about, it facilitates world class RTS level/mission design and an extremely impressive array of campaign customization options. However, my main draw to RTS games personally has always and will always be multiplayer, which SC2 really shines in (for me at least).

The big sleeper hit being the coop mode that seemed tacked on at first, but actually really added to the longevity of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
While the story is definitely not anything to write home about, it facilitates world class RTS level/mission design and an extremely impressive array of campaign customization options. However, my main draw to RTS games personally has always and will always be multiplayer, which SC2 really shines in (for me at least).

Too many SC2 missions run on "you got this unit, now use it to solve the mission". At least on normal, and i start playing on normal nearly always so it kinda leaves a bad taste... IIRC, Hard makes missions a bit more interesting but with the story being so terrible, i don't really care to replay the games that much. Unlike original Starcraft (which has badly dated missions to be sure).

Customization options are a bit in a sense that you don't get to use everything everywhere. By the time you get high-tech units, the campaign is ending and you never really get to play with them. Conceptually tweaking units to your liking is great but in practice it doesn't quite work. (And it doesn't help balance is meh and some options are generally speaking superior to others.)

Never got into multiplayer so that aspect doesn't matter much to me.
SC2's co-op mode is fun for sure though, in small doses.

Arkeband

Banned
.... Don't use them then? They're pretty cosmetic
You...don't have to use them?

I dunno if either of you have played SC2, but you usually play against random other players whose skins are forced upon the game, including some that dramatically change the silhouette and model of units, making it look like you have twice as many zerglings, etc.

It's basically the most asinine thing to ever add to an RTS that relies on being able to quickly identify and react to the pieces on the board.

"Then don't use it lol" is not a choice you can make for the other player in matchmaking and AFAIK you can't turn it off. It's one of the (many) reasons I quit SC2.

"Let's let people change what units look like in a game revolving in large part around pattern and unit recognition" is like the most obvious idea that would immediately be thrown into the BAD IDEA box.

Too many SC2 missions run on "you got this unit, now use it to solve the mission". At least on normal, and i start playing on normal nearly always so it kinda leaves a bad taste... IIRC, Hard makes missions a bit more interesting but with the story being so terrible, i don't really care to replay the games that much. Unlike original Starcraft (which has badly dated missions to be sure).

Customization options are a bit in a sense that you don't get to use everything everywhere. By the time you get high-tech units, the campaign is ending and you never really get to play with them. Conceptually tweaking units to your liking is great but in practice it doesn't quite work. (And it doesn't help balance is meh and some options are generally speaking superior to others.)

Never got into multiplayer so that aspect doesn't matter much to me.
SC2's co-op mode is fun for sure though, in small doses.

Maybe it's a difficulty thing then, since I played on hard first and then brutal, and never got the sense that the mission structure forced me into using the particular unit that was being introduced. If anything, I may have had a sense of encouragement to use it solely because it's a new toy that's been handed to me. And if it did feel advantageous to use it, it wasn't usually a "mass produce X unit and win the mission" scenario. Certain missions are definitely tailored for certain units (example: The lava map and Reapers in Wings of Liberty) but by no means are they a requirement to beat the mission (in most cases, at least off the top of my head). Additionally, some of the achievements designed for each mission add another layer of challenge that usually encourages experimentation with other units and strategies to complete, especially since some of them require playing on harder difficulties.

I also disagree that the concept of unit tweaking doesn't work, I found it to be extremely satisfying having so much variety to toy with. And while you don't have Battle Cruisers until like 5 or 6 missions from the end (again, using WoL in this example), by then you've already heavily worked up the tech tree and have a giant toolbox to play with. I don't see how the structure of introducing more units as the game goes on is much different from any other RTS campaign, StarCraft 1 and WarCraft 3 included?

To each their own though, I'm not trying to make the claim that the campaign is the second coming, but I personally found its design to be extremely well done. However, I do agree that the story wasn't it's strong point by any means.

I dunno if either of you have played SC2, but you usually play against random other players whose skins are forced upon the game, including some that dramatically change the silhouette and model of units, making it look like you have twice as many zerglings, etc.

It's basically the most asinine thing to ever add to an RTS that relies on being able to quickly identify and react to the pieces on the board.

Huh?? I'm not sure what game you're playing, as the unit silhouettes have never been affected by the skins they've added in the game. It's obvious that they've put a lot of care into adding skin variety without sacrificing the silhouette visibility, similar to Overwatch.

Rncewind

So correct me if im wrong but with recent job postings, is there a possiblity they are gonna make additional content for their old games? So like for example they release warcraft 3 hd and make expansions for it instead of warcraft 4?

Remove bots from bnet.
Remove the port requirements for hosting

Some technical changes like resolution
Wide screen

Understand that wc3 and sc1 won't be big esports and make the games up to date. Most people want this for a day then will stop.

I'd love if it was done for WC1 and WC2

Warcraft 2 will always be my favourite. Would love a remaster of it.

So correct me if im wrong but with recent job postings, is there a possiblity they are gonna make additional content for their old games? So like for example they release warcraft 3 hd and make expansions for it instead of warcraft 4?

This would make me so happy. Whilst I'd be more than satisfied with remasters of Diablo 2 and Warcraft 2 I would also love to see what they could add. I mean if they fuck things up I still own the originals.

I'm so happy someone posted this on NeoGAF. Thanks AlfredX1990!

No problem, saw your comment in the sub so I decided to share it here
For Warcraft 3 players...

Noticed this recently:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/rise-of-the-blood-elves-v3-0.245153/

This is a custom campaign, based on WoW's story of Blood Elves. Has Blood Elf faction, which is more than just modified humans. Bunch of custom heroes.
It is very well made campaign. Levels are very well crafted, not just gameplay-wise but also cosmetically. Harder than any of original campaigns though.

Those who are interested in playing some of WoW's story in RTS form maybe interested.

Unfortunately, the story sucks because the source material sucks... But the campaign's author has made good job on it anyway.

Nice, always love having new campaigns to play in WC3, anything else anyone wants to share please do

Arkeband

Banned
Huh?? I'm not sure what game you're playing, as the unit silhouettes have never been affected by the skins they've added in the game. It's obvious that they've put a lot of care into adding skin variety without sacrificing the silhouette visibility, similar to Overwatch.

A cursory Google search shows that this is complete bullshit.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'd love if it was done for WC1 and WC2

Warcraft 2 will always be my favourite. Would love a remaster of it.

This would make me so happy. Whilst I'd be more than satisfied with remasters of Diablo 2 and Warcraft 2 I would also love to see what they could add. I mean if they fuck things up I still own the originals.

WC2 could largely benefit from the SC remastered treatment I think - leave the actual game more or less alone but overhaul the visuals with high-rez sprites. The original Warcraft, on the other hand, would require an actual remake I think. It's too old and low-res for a simple sprite overhaul to really do the trick imo.

A cursory Google search shows that this is complete bullshit.

Lol sure, okay.

B0A6NVULMPQ61490134762120.gif
9095925ROYRW1490134760883.gif
NRO2STRSH58W1490134763762.gif

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/20629905/patch-312-preview-brand-new-skins-3-23-2017

NormalViking_SC2SkinImage.jpg
MechaViking_SC2SkinImage.jpg

I'm seeing double, guyz!!1

NormalDarkTemplar_SC2SkinImage.jpg
ForgedDarkTemplar_SC2SkinImage.jpg

The Viking is the biggest offender by far, even though I still don't see the big deal since the silhouette is only really different from a front view perspective, not from a top down view which is how you play the game.

Dark Templars are permanently cloaked and their running animation is identical.

Forkxx

Neo Member

Maybe some new maps. New items or even new heroes I think is off limits right now. They said in the interview, for example, that adding a fifth race would lead to a whole new game.

I need them to fix the AI on custom maps as well.

Sometimes the AI is just like "expand... why expand?" and just sits on one base the entire game.

I really hope that some kind of WarCraft 3 remaster is in the works, whether it's an "HD Remake" or a "Remaster", I'm totally in in either case.

Top Bottom