• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

yacobod

Banned
shintoki said:
HBO will end the series then. They aren't going to hold out for him. The series will end if they catch up and he is not finished, or they'll do their own thing.

Bullshit. Bullshit. MINE HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET. I'm gonna go burn something

ya maybe i worded that poorly, i kind of meant the ppl who enjoyed the hbo show who have since purchased the book and began to read them. for the hbo show there is no guarantee we are getting anything passed season 2, who knows.

ya bullshit too, my prime order is still stuck at SHIPPING SOON as well.

HBO isn't going to give the show more than 12 episodes a season. I think ASOS will get two seasons, but material from ADWD/AFFC will be moved forward into season 4. The rest of ADWD and AFFC can be finished in season 5.

Though HBO is going to have to make some decisions plot wise if they get to that point.
Are they really going to let Dany dick around in Essos for 5 or 6 seasons? THe HBO audience is already expecting Dany to Westeros and the Others invasion to happen soon, and GRRM hasn't gotten to it after 5 books.

bluemax

Banned
I don't know why people think these books are too long to fit into single seasons.

Cut out all the bull shit about clothes, travelogues, lemon cakes and pulled out of his ass history and there's only about 500 pages of actual content a lot of which is internal dialogue and thus can be reduced even further.

Aside from cheapening out on battles and pissing off a fan base that actually expects Dany or the others to do anything any time soon, I don't see any real complications!

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Basileus777 said:
You can't really believe that's how it went down? GRRM loves his false cliffhangers, a bit too much if anything. Remember how AFFC ended with Davos and Brienne dead, Cersei captured, and Arya blind? Look how all of that turned out. He's overused the device so much that they aren't so effective anymore.

Finish the book before you make that assumption.
The Merenese stuff is far from finished,

aDwD spoilers

True! Some of it is probably made up so as to goad Jon into coming. Most of it Ramsay might have tortured out of Mance before sticking him in his cage with his nice new cloak. We'll see I guess! :)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
PhoenixDark said:
We have to remember there are very, very few examples of big cable (regular or premium) shows that last 7+ seasons. The first season of GoT was quite successful, and DVD sales should be impressive; I'd imagine S2 will debut with even bigger numbers. But that's no guarantee for future seasons, especially given the complexities of later books. Is ASOS even able to be done in one season, for instance? How will actor contracts, budgets, and children actors growing up effect the show in the future, etc? So I wouldn't assume HBO's pressure will have a long term impact on Martin.

That being said, for the purpose of discussion I'll assume the show explodes in popularity and challenges True Blood as HBO's flagship series; I'm going to assume the expensive Boardwalk Empire fizzles out. There is already talk of ASOS being split into two seasons. I don't know if it would be possible to shoot them both at the same time, given weather conditions and budget constraints; HBO could also just allow 14-16 hours for one season. But even after ASOS is finished, there's no way AFFC will be used as one season; it will be mixed with ADWD, and I'd imagine much of it will be cut.

ACOK=2012
ASOS (15-16 episodes?)=2013
ADWD/AFFC Part 1=2014
ADWD/AFFC Part 2=2015

Martin has said he will start working on TWOW next year, and already has around 100 pages completed. Assuming HBO continues to premier the shows in April and end them in late June, Martin will have from Jan 2012 to early/mid 2015 to finish TWOW. I'm assuming he'll be providing Weiss/Benoiff with the book early as he did with ADWD.

If ASOS is split into two seasons that would give him one more year to finish, but I doubt HBO would allow them to split it and ADWD/AFFC.

Working with your own assumption that the show's popularity explodes, HBO will not be a problem at all. If they're getting high ratings, overseas sales, and DVD sales, as far as they're concerned the more seasons the better.

In my opinion the ideal situation is for Season 3 to cover ~2/3 ofASOS, Season 4 covers the rest and some of AFFC/ADWD, and Season 5 finishes that.

bluemax said:
I don't know why people think these books are too long to fit into single seasons.

Cut out all the bull shit about clothes, travelogues, lemon cakes and pulled out of his ass history and there's only about 500 pages of actual content a lot of which is internal dialogue and thus can be reduced even further.

Aside from cheapening out on battles and pissing off a fan base that actually expects Dany or the others to do anything any time soon, I don't see any real complications!

You're a crazy person. If you put ASOS into 10 episodes, it would be unwatchable. Way too much shit needs to happen, especially with the changes that will need to be made as far as moving certain characters' stories around.

bluemax said:

ASOS would NOT work in a single season. Think about how much happens in that book. Or re-read it and see why we're all saying that. It's painfully obvious.

yacobod

Banned
you could do ASoS in 10 episodes, it's an adaptation of the novel afterall. it does not need to slavishly recreate every scene or scenario in the novel, and from the looks of it they are going to be moving some things from ASoS to the 2nd season to give Robb Stark and Co. something to do.

they condensed the lord of the rings to a 10 hour movie, if they could do that they can do the same with ASoS.

Dresden

They could do twenty episodes for SoS and half of it would be a dude in a bathtub getting his duck sucked as he narrates what happened over the past two seasons.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
yacobod said:
you could do ASoS in 10 episodes, it's an adaptation of the novel afterall. it does not need to slavishly recreate every scene or scenario in the novel, and from the looks of it they are going to be moving some things from ASoS to the 2nd season to give Robb Stark and Co. something to do.

they condensed the lord of the rings to a 10 hour movie, if they could do that they can do the same with ASoS.

I'd argue that more things happen in ASOS than the entirety of LOTR. And there'd be even fewer things that could be taken out. I'm a huge fan of LOTR but I truly believe that. As much as everyone was upset about Tom Bombadil and similar things being left out of the movie they were easily disposed of. ASOS is a dense, almost 100% relevant, book.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
shintoki said:
Bullshit. Bullshit. MINE HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET. I'm gonna go burn something

Not to add salt to the wound, but I didn't even order it till yesterday morning when I saw the price and realized it wouldn't be that cheap from B&N even with discounts.

Also, is this going to be the OT or should an official one for just ADWD be made?

Welp, finished it. Cool book, not as good as ASOS, but shit did go down more than i expected. Now lets see how much of it are false cliffhangers, if the next book ever comes out (
it wont
).

this is a real, final chapter, spoiler:
fuck you GURM for killing the only cool Lannister.

HarryHengst said:
Now lets see how much of it are false cliffhangers.

Based on past history, the answer is probably all of them. He's overused his fake cliffhangers to the point where I don't take them seriously at all anymore.

Basileus777 said:
Based on past history, the answer is probably all of them. He's overused his fake cliffhangers to the point where I don't take them seriously at all anymore.
Yeah, although i half expect him to stop doing that and have all the cliffhangers be exactly what they seem to be.

dont read this if you havent finished the book:

i do not believe for one second that Jon is dead. i'm willing to believe that Stannis is really dead, so Jon can step in his shoes and be Azor Ahai, as predicted by Melisandre. Stannis' glowing sword always seemed to not be the real deal as told in the prophecies, just some shiny thing.

yacobod

Banned
HarryHengst said:
i do not believe for one second that Jon is dead. i'm willing to believe that Stannis is really dead, so Jon can step in his shoes and be Azor Ahai, as predicted by Melisandre. Stannis' glowing sword always seemed to not be the real deal as told in the prophecies, just some shiny thing.

Who knows, maybe he really is, perhaps GURM has a vendetta because all the fans online figured out Jon = R+L and is the PTWP. Either way the over use of cliffhangers are better suited to weekly television shows. Ending a novel with that cliffhanger when Winds of Winter is probably 6 or 7 years away is beyond cruel.

Dresden said:
They could do twenty episodes for SoS and half of it would be a dude in a bathtub getting his duck sucked as he narrates what happened over the past two seasons.
This chick sucked my duck once, till it started quacking.

yacobod said:

I'm going to assume you're being hyperbolic as always, because that's simply a ridiculous position. GoT had to be rushed through with 10 episodes, and you think ASOS could be done in 10 as well? No. The problem is there's too big big stuff that can't be cut. Unless they want to butcher the book they'll have go do 14 or more episodes

yacobod

Banned
Obviously I think the best case scenario would be a like a 2 part season something similar to the Sopranos season 6. They could do it in 16 episodes, maybe split it up 8 and 8 or 10 and 6. And I'm pretty sure if you bothered to check my post history, I've said the same thing several times in the HBO S1 thread, but at the same time the show is an adaptation so some things can get cut.

Large novels are translated to the big screen all the time. Novels are condensed to 2-3 hour motion pictures, so why couldn't ASoS be translated to a 10 hour season? Again I realize things would be compromised, but all adaptations lose things in translations. I think some fans expect the show to be a shot for shot recreation of the novels. And where's the fun in that, the books are always going to be better than the books, so I don't really get it. I'm just saying it's not impossible to do it in 10 episodes if that's the route they are going to go.

at any rate this is the best passage i've read so far in ADwD:

GURM said:
"Lady Arya. Get on the bed. Yes, against the pillows, that's a good wife. Now spread your legs. Let us see your stinkyhole"
The girl obeyed, wordless. Theon took a step back toward the door. Lord Ramsay sat beside his bride, slid his hand along her inner thigh, then jammed two fingers up inside her. The girl let out a gasp of pain. "You're dry as an old bone." Ramsay pulled his hand free and slapped her face. "I was told that you'd know how to please a man. Was that a lie?"
"N-no, my lord. I was t-trained."
Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."
For a moment he did not understand. " I...do you mean...m'lord, I have no...I.."
"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said. "And be quick about it If she's not wet by the time I'm done disrobing, I will cut off that tongue of yours and nail it to the wall."
Somewhere in the godswood, a raven screamed. The dagger was still in his hand.
He sheathed it.
Reek, my name is Reek, it rhymes with weak.
Reek bent to his task.

yacobod said:
at any rate this is the best passage i've read so far in ADwD:

It doesn't get much better than
a castrated Theon performing cunnilingus on a 12 year old girl to prepare her to get raped and tortured by Ramsay Bolton.
Remember the simpler days of Myrish Swamps and Fat Pink Masts?

Puddles

Banned
Can't decide if I want to get the kindle version at midnight or wait until tomorrow to drive to a bookstore. I'm not buying both. Decisions, decisions.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Basileus777 said:
It doesn't get much better than
a castrated Theon performing cunnilingus on a 12 year old girl to prepare her to get raped and tortured by Ramsay Bolton.
Remember the simpler days of Myrish Swamps and Fat Pink Masts?

adwd spoilers

I never got the impression that Theon had actually been castrated. Just that they threatened him with it a couple of times, iirc.
But yeah, that scene was a bit much! :D

Fjordson

Puddles said:
Can't decide if I want to get the kindle version at midnight or wait until tomorrow to drive to a bookstore. I'm not buying both. Decisions, decisions.
Download the Kindle sample now to tide you over until you get the hardcover. That's what I'm doing.

Not even sure why I wanted this on hardcover. I read everything on my Kindle these days. I guess it's easier for ASoIaF since I'm always looking at the maps and flipping to the back to reference the character lists.

Puddles

Banned
ADWD spoilers:

Jon Connington fucking kicks ass. I'm so glad that things are FINALLY getting kicked off in Westeros (regarding the Targaryens). Everything from the fighting pit chapter onwards has been gold.

Puddles said:
ADWD spoilers:

Jon Connington fucking kicks ass. I'm so glad that things are FINALLY getting kicked off in Westeros (regarding the Targaryens). Everything from the fighting pit chapter onwards has been gold.
Yep. Connington actually does shit. I'm so glad he and Aegon didn't chase after Dany. I much prefer fighting for the throne over sitting around marrying slaver princes.

Pkaz01

Basileus777 said:
Yep. Connington actually does shit. I'm so glad he and Aegon didn't chase after Dany. I much prefer fighting for the throne over sitting around marrying slaver princes.

ADWD spoiler discussion:
That chapter where Tyrion is playing against him and learns everything he needs to know about him is one of my favorites. I still think he would prefer Dany even if Aegon is better just because he wants to see a dragon.

As I said in the no-spoiler thread, I'm too lazy to read the books (I've only seen the show) and and I would like it if someone spoiled the entire book to me.

Puddles

Banned
Unmarked, huh?

Well, then, I'll start.

Motherfucking DROGON. Motherfucking RHAEGAL AND VISERION.

The scene where Barristan Selmy stands outside in the early morning in the rain, looking out at the smoking pyramids where the dragons have made their lairs sent chills all up and down my spine. Top 10 moment in the series, IMO.

The Dornish prince was three days dying.

He took his last shuddering breath in the bleak black dawn, as cold rain hissed from a dark sky to turn the brick streets of the old city into rivers. The rain had drowned the worst of the fires, but wisps of smoke still rose from the smoldering ruin that had been the pyramid of Hazkar, and the great black pyramid of Yherizan where Rhaegal had made his lair hulked in the gloom like a fat woman bedecked with glowing orange jewels.

:bow

Storm > Dance > Clash > Game > Feast.

Puddles

Banned
Martin finally breaks the "girls don't shit" barrier in this book. We've seen lots of shitting in the series so far, but it's always been the men doing it. Not so in Dance. A girl shits, and she shits HARD.

It was a little difficult for me to accept, since I've always been of the belief that even if women DO shit, it should be neither seen, heard, nor smelt. But in the context of the story, it works.

*not reading anything in this thread**not reading anything in this thread**not reading anything in this thread*

With that said, I haven't had a chance to touch my kindle this morning, how is it so far! (please don't include a spoiler in your response)

I hope I get a chance to read at least a chapter today. I forgot my kindle at home and had to d/l the app for my phone. haha

Computer said:
As I said in the no-spoiler thread, I'm too lazy to read the books (I've only seen the show) and and I would like it if someone spoiled the entire book to me.

BOOOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
BOOOOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Everyone boo that man :(

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Awesome Animals said:
*not reading anything in this thread**not reading anything in this thread**not reading anything in this thread*

With that said, I haven't had a chance to touch my kindle this morning, how is it so far! (please don't include a spoiler in your response)

I hope I get a chance to read at least a chapter today. I forgot my kindle at home and had to d/l the app for my phone. haha
Read the other dance thread. Spoilers are tagged there, not here.

yacobod

Banned
Don't the Bolton's seem chaotic evil by nature. They are painted as extremely villainous. In a series of novels where the lines are blurred between good and evil, these guys are pretty clearly evil. Seem's like GURM went a bit overboard with them and made them a vessel to channel all his sick, perverted, pedo rape fantasies.

best part of the book:

Ramsay rose, the firelight shining on his face. "Reek, get over here. Get her ready for me."
For a moment he did not understand. " I...do you mean...m'lord, I have no...I.."
"With your mouth," Lord Ramsay said.

Computer said:
No one indulge this person's desires. No one.

Fjordson

Computer said:
boo-google-boo.gif

Awesome Animals said:

It's bloody fantastic. Just finished my third Jon chapter. Love it.

yacobod

Banned
Computer said:

Jon Snow may or may not die. He get's Julius Caesar'd by several members of the Night's Watch. It's a cliffhanger that may never be resolved. Maybe we will get some resolution via GURM's NotaBlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom