• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Song of Ice and Fire -- **Unmarked Spoilers For All Books including ADWD**

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Oh ho shit, just go to the Tyrion chapter in Dance where
he is captured. Kept asking myself "is this some random Westeron or is this yet another returning character" until he said "...brought shame upon my and my father's house." and I'm like "oooooh fuck, now Tyrion has a way to get to Dany easily...it will take some forgiveness on Dany's part though. Not for him...for his...captor."

Also, it sucks that they broke the company up. Despite Connington mistrusting Tyrion, I think Tyrion was actually fairly happy just chilling on the river, ogling the Septa, talking with Haldon. It actually sounded like a cool life. Probably the happiest he had been since being Hand or before he went to Winterfell. In reflection, those will probably be among my favorite chapters in Dance, in the entire series in fact. Tyrion on the river.

It's cool to see characters we've met since book one meeting each other.

bengraven said:
Oh ho shit, just go to the Tyrion chapter in Dance where
he is captured. Kept asking myself "is this some random Westeron or is this yet another returning character" until he said "...brought shame upon my and my father's house." and I'm like "oooooh fuck, now Tyrion has a way to get to Dany easily...it will take some forgiveness on Dany's part though. Not for him...for his...captor."
I actually feel for sorry for Jorah. Dany sends him away for spying well after he had already stopped, so she can rely on and trust people like Daario and Hizdahr. The again, Dany looks incredibly stupid now that GRRM has taken away her plot armor.

bengraven

Basileus777 said:
I actually feel for sorry for Jorah. Dany sends him away for spying well after he had already stopped, so she can rely on and trust people like Daario and Hizdahr. The again, Dany looks incredibly stupid now that GRRM has taken away her plot armor.

Yeah, I'm assuming that was the knot.

PhoenixDark said:
So you still hold the position that Dance>ASOS? Damn can't wait for tuesday

I think it's the 3rd or 4th best book. I'm going to have to see how I feel later because I'm not sure if I think it's better than ACOK. The stuff in the North is great, the Essos plotlines aren't at the same level. Tyrion and Dany suffer from some pacing issues, and I don't know that they really needed this many chapters.
Quintyn Martell is completely pointless, I don't even know why he has any POV chapters, let alone 4
. Bran, Jon, and
Theon
are the best parts of the book. Arya, Davos, and Asha are good too, though they don't have many chapters.

Puddles

Banned
ADWD:

I am so fucking frustrated with this book right now.

I had high hopes, but so far (620 pages in) it seems like nothing is happening.

Well okay, some stuff has happened. Rhaegar's son is alive. Great. We've barely seen him since that revelation.

Dany got married. Tyrion got captured by slavers. Wop wop wop. Those events are exactly what people waited six years to read about.

Puddles

Banned
OMFG

Drogon. Holy shit, Drogon.

This entire book just got vindicated by the fighting pit chapter. Holy Lord, I bow to GRRM.

ezrarh

Puddles said:
OMFG

Drogon. Holy shit, Drogon.

This entire book just got vindicated by the fighting pit chapter. Holy Lord, I bow to GRRM.

adwd up to where you mention
I was annoyed by the dany and tyrion chapters up until that point. Dany's story might finally be picking up so the last 1/3 of the book should be excellent. Jon/Theon chapters have been the best so far.

bengraven

PhoenixDark said:
So you still hold the position that Dance>ASOS? Damn can't wait for tuesday

I do.

I'm only in the first half, but I stand by it. The first half is better than Swords' first half.

The only chapters I've found slow were one Tyrion chapter (though it had a cliffhanger ending that was worth it), the Davos chapters have been kind of blah and (POV spoiler?)
all the Quentyn Martell chapters

ezrarh said:
I was annoyed by the dany and tyrion chapters up until that point. Dany's story might finally be picking up so the last 1/3 of the book should be excellent. Jon/Theon chapters have been the best so far.

I agree. Surprisingly enjoying
Theon's
chapters. Not surprised to be enjoying the Jon chapters tho.

Puddles

Banned
velvet_nitemare said:
I can't find any aDwD files past page 753 (aDwD_5). Any pointers? I'm anxious to finish reading lol

I don't think they exist. I'm in the same boat.

Still, tomorrow at midnight, we'll be taken care of. I just need to find something to take my mind off of this book until then.

Puddles

Banned
ezrarh said:

So Drogon killed over 200 people, maimed another 600 and shrugged off a spear wound and some crossbow bolts like a champ.

That's the kind of shit we've all been waiting to see since those dragons were suckling at Dany's breast.

Gambit

Haven´t read through all the recent comments, but wanted to chime in. Some chapters do have pacing issues, I agree. Nevertheless, I am enjoying the book more than Feast. If only because it features more of the characters I care about.

So far, I have been devouring the Bran chapters. I love them
but they seem so far and few in-between.
Anyway, I am intrigued.

(am on page 500-ish)
I am also pleasantly surprised by the Davos chapters. The first few were pretty bland, but once he met Wyman (I think) and has now been given his mission, I really enjoy them. Especially because I too am wondering what is up with Rickon.

Tyrion meeting Ser Jorah is great as well. I was missing him in the Dany chapters. He played an integral part in the story and Dany seems quite lost without his council. Also, I kinda liked the (creepy?) undertone of him lusting after Dany. I am hoping for a quick reunion.

The Young Griff revelation also took me by surprise, I have to admit. I thought it queer that he dyed his hair, but would not have suspected this particular reason for it.

All in all, I am absolutely enjoying the ride.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Some rambling thoughts...

Massive, horrible whole book aDwD spoilers!

Overall I liked the book a lot! Although the general feeling I got from it was that is was more of a setup for the next book. A lot of cool shit happens, but it kinda felt like there was no huge payoff (like in SoS). In that sense it was similiar to Feast, which I also liked (especially on my reread), but still better.

That said, cliffhangers!!! Fuck, so many! Davos heading towards Howland Reed, Jon dead, injured or resurrected by Melisandre? What's going on with Bran? Tyrion? So much stuff left unresolved! Daenerys' ending was the one I felt was handled the best.

Kinda felt that initially the dragons were given too little screen time, but when they were unleashed! Holy shit! From Drogon's appearance during the pit fighting, too Viserion and Rhaegal flaming Quentyn (who's story line felt kinda pointless given the way it ended). Great stuff!

Bunch of cool revelations! Aegon alive, Ashara Dayne and Ned (which more or less confirms that Jon isn't Ned's (as if it was needed), identity of the three eyed crow. Plus a lot more I can't recall atm.

Jon's "death" took me completely by surprise (which it shouldn't have). I was all excited about him and the wildlings going to Winterfell to fight the Bastard, and then bam, knives in the dark! Interesting to see where Martin goes with this. I can't really see him dying outright, too much stuff left unresolved at the Wall and in the North.
Did feel that the letter explained too much stuff that I'd rather would have seen "first hand", but maybe we'll get an account from Asha in Winds. Stannis dead, Mance captured, Theon escaped, etc.
Why did Pat's fantasy hotlist attack Wun Wun? Was he trying to steal Val and prove his worth, or what?

I had also half convinced myself that Tyrion really did drown! The way it was written, especially the part about him already having "died" back in King's Landing.

Liked Arya's arc a lot! Nice way she poisoned her first target, and the way she spotted the old man attacking her whille she was blind.

Epilogue was awesome, go Varys! I was wondering when we would see him again.

Enough for now...please hurry up and read people!

Puddles said:
I don't think they exist. I'm in the same boat.

Still, tomorrow at midnight, we'll be taken care of. I just need to find something to take my mind off of this book until then.

Is anyone selling this book at midnight?

JerkShep

200 pages down, I'm going slowly reading 1-2 chapters in a day.
Bran II was awesome and one of the best chapters of the book, but it felt a little rushed
Major spoiler from ADWD Bran II
It could have been easily split in two parts, the children of the forest needed more time, not one-two pages and the BAM Bloodraven
Hope the next one will explain things a little better. Nontheless, best Bran chapters since AGOT imho.

It's hard to say since I'm a Dany hater but I really liked Dany III. The one with
Xaro and the ships
. Tyrion is quite diappointing so far (3rd chapter) I think, it has potential but
Martin could explain much better things about the Golden Company, instead chapter are spent discussing fucking turtles and the tits of an old Septa. Come on.

So far for me is ASOS>AGOT>ADWD>ACOK>AFFC. It's a very good beginning so far (too many useless Tyrion chapters aside), but it needs to pay off in some storyline at least, I don't want another 10 cliffhangers like Feast. Reading some comments, my hopes are probably too high.

CrunchyB

How come blatant book piracy is tolerated?

:)

Heh, just kidding, I know everyone will buy the books regardless. Personally, I didn't want to read blurry scans off my computer, I'd much rather read the actual book. I've waited for 6 years, might as well wait a little bit longer.

But still, that wall of spoilers is mighty tempting. Just one....more.....day....

Keikoku

Banned
HarryHengst said:
Luckily GURM already said on his blog he wont continue writing TWoW until next year!

At least he started it. I hope the series will push him to finish the books faster since HBO will run out of material to adapt after season 4...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
CrunchyB said:

Heh, just kidding, I know everyone will buy the books regardless. Personally, I didn't want to read blurry scans off my computer, I'd much rather read the actual book. I've waited for 6 years, might as well wait a little bit longer.

But still, that wall of spoilers is mighty tempting. Just one....more.....day....

I think everyone who pirated a copy of the book will be buying it tomorrow regardless.

ezrarh

CrunchyB said:

My book from Amazon has already shipped! I'm going to burn through the rest of the book and then do a slow reread and enjoy all the fine details. So excited.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
CrunchyB said:

Don't know! I'm just glad the Swedish bookstores broke the street sate and that I didn't get spoiled!

That said, DO NOT HIGHLIGHT MY WALL OF SPOILERS!!!!

JerkShep

HarryHengst said:
Luckily GURM already said on his blog he wont continue writing TWoW until next year!

I think this was to be expected actually, with signings and all. The problem is not this six months break. The problem is that when he decides to start writing TWOW, he cannot write 100 pages a year for god's sake.
First was the timeskip problem. Ok.
Then it was the "oh now there are so many character I have to split". Ok.
Then the fucking Mereen timeline-something problem. Ok?
Now these problems are no more, let's hope he can give us a steady conclusion and a book every 3 year or something.

Flashforward in the future, 5 years from now:
- no TWOW yet
- 8 books total, not 7
You read it first (?) here lol

CrunchyB

Keen said:
DO NOT HIGHLIGHT MY WALL OF SPOILERS!!!!

Hell no, not after all this time. I even keep a hammer by my side. So if I accidentally read something I shouldn't have, I can knock myself in the head and lose the last few minutes of memory. The pain would be worth it.

How many of you feel that your expectations for this novel have built up to a point that you'll get frustrated with it? Especially after the long wait that you had to endure. I feel from what I've been reading so far that people are enjoying the book, but their need for more, due to cliffhangers, is giving them negative opinions. For those that have read some so far, how would you rate this in comparison to the other novels. Everyone is in some agreement that SoS is the pentacle and AffC is the low point. Where does DwD fit in there? I just hope that our impatience for a conclusion does not cloud our judgement of a good novel. In fact, what would GRRM have to do to really troll you in the next book? Kill off Dany/Tyrion?

In comparison to other series I've read, I just know this is going to be loads better than Wise Man Fears. I've given up on Patrick Rothfuss. WoT is probably the other big one I'm waiting on. I've think Sanderson has done an excellent job with both Rand and Matt. Looking forward to that epic conclusion.

tino

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
Is anyone selling this book at midnight?
Not in New York, thas why I picked up a Nook touch from BB preordered the book yesterday. I couldn't resist and downloaded the photo version anyway lol.

aronnov reborn said:
just so i understand. at 12:01 tonight i can get this on my kindle right?
That isn't how it worked for A Wise Man Fears. I stayed up to 1 AM CST, and the novel never came. Best to just go to sleep. Personally, knowing how long this took to write, I'm going to finish rereading the series again before buying. This will be my third reread, and I haven't started yet.

JerkShep

Dr. Pangloss said:
How many of you feel that your expectations for this novel have built up to a point that you'll get frustrated with it? Especially after the long wait that you had to endure. I feel from what I've been reading so far that people are enjoying the book, but their need for more, due to cliffhangers, is giving them negative opinions.

I won't be disappointed if there is some kind of "closure" in the major storylines and character arcs of the novel, I just don't want something like AFFC "She was blind" cliffhanger.
In ACOK Battle of Blackwaters was a good (temporary) closure for many storylines, as the Fall of Winterfell for the other POVs (Theon, Bran). In ASOS basically every POV had a character arc that was at least partially concluded within the novel.
AFFC lacked this in my opinion (not every characters, but many). Hope that ADWD is more similar to the first novels in that regard.

I just bought the first book without much knowledge of the series going in. So far I'm at the third chapter I think.

Can I expect alot of magic, monsters , etc in this series? So far I'm hoping that Martin is slowing adding those elements in and they will be there in full force by the end of the book.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I just bought the first book without much knowledge of the series going in. So far I'm at the third chapter I think.

Can I expect alot of magic, monsters , etc in this series? So far I'm hoping that Martin is slowing adding those elements in and they will be there in full force by the end of the book.

They're added slowly, but I wouldn't say they're in full force at any time in book 1. Just keep reading you they will come, and by that point you won't care because you'll be hooked anyway.

yacobod

Banned
ok so GURM is totally trolling now when he writes something like this:

ramsey bolton commands a dickless theon to go down on the 12 year old imposter arya to get her wet before bedding her.

this is going to replace any grossout sex in the previous books including wetter than myrish swamps, tyrion's bulbous cock, and other such nonsense.

yacobod said:
ok so GURM is totally trolling now when he writes something like this:

ramsey bolton commands a dickless theon to go down on the 12 year old imposter arya to get her wet before bedding her.

this is going to replace any grossout sex in the previous books including wetter than myrish swamps, tyrion's bulbous cock, and other such nonsense.
That absolute fucker really is the ultimate troll. Literally and figuratively.

yacobod

Banned
HarryHengst said:
That absolute fucker really is the ultimate troll. Literally and figuratively.

no the ultimate troll will be when he makes all of his new HBO fans of the series wait 6 or 7 years for the Winds of Winter while he blogs about the NFL, gets sick, and attends conventions around the world.

yacobod said:
no the ultimate troll will be when he makes all of his new HBO fans of the series wait 6 or 7 years for the Winds of Winter while he blogs about the NFL, gets sick, and attends conventions around the world.
I'm pretty sure that's what he's going to do the next couple of years, so my point stands.

Keen said:
Did feel that the letter explained too much stuff that I'd rather would have seen "first hand", but maybe we'll get an account from Asha in Winds. Stannis dead, Mance captured, Theon escaped, etc.
You can't really believe that's how it went down? GRRM loves his false cliffhangers, a bit too much if anything. Remember how AFFC ended with Davos and Brienne dead, Cersei captured, and Arya blind? Look how all of that turned out. He's overused the device so much that they aren't so effective anymore.

JerkShep said:
Now these problems are no more,

Finish the book before you make that assumption.
The Merenese stuff is far from finished,

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
yacobod said:
HBO will end the series then. They aren't going to hold out for him. The series will end if they catch up and he is not finished, or they'll do their own thing.

Zerokku said:
My book arrived early from Amazon. YES!!!!!
Bullshit. Bullshit. MINE HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET. I'm gonna go burn something

shintoki said:
HBO will end the series then. They aren't going to hold out for him. The series will end if they catch up and he is not finished, or they'll do their own thing.

They'll do their own thing. By the time they even get to Winds of Winter, the show will be drastically different from the books anyway. There's so much stuff in ADWD and AFFC that I can't imagine being on HBO.
I don't know how they are going to handle Dany not getting to Westeros ever. Maybe GRRM will get her there by book 7.

We have to remember there are very, very few examples of big cable (regular or premium) shows that last 7+ seasons. The first season of GoT was quite successful, and DVD sales should be impressive; I'd imagine S2 will debut with even bigger numbers. But that's no guarantee for future seasons, especially given the complexities of later books. Is ASOS even able to be done in one season, for instance? How will actor contracts, budgets, and children actors growing up effect the show in the future, etc? So I wouldn't assume HBO's pressure will have a long term impact on Martin.

That being said, for the purpose of discussion I'll assume the show explodes in popularity and challenges True Blood as HBO's flagship series; I'm going to assume the expensive Boardwalk Empire fizzles out. There is already talk of ASOS being split into two seasons. I don't know if it would be possible to shoot them both at the same time, given weather conditions and budget constraints; HBO could also just allow 14-16 hours for one season. But even after ASOS is finished, there's no way AFFC will be used as one season; it will be mixed with ADWD, and I'd imagine much of it will be cut.

ACOK=2012
ASOS (15-16 episodes?)=2013
ADWD/AFFC Part 1=2014
ADWD/AFFC Part 2=2015

Martin has said he will start working on TWOW next year, and already has around 100 pages completed. Assuming HBO continues to premier the shows in April and end them in late June, Martin will have from Jan 2012 to early/mid 2015 to finish TWOW. I'm assuming he'll be providing Weiss/Benoiff with the book early as he did with ADWD.

If ASOS is split into two seasons that would give him one more year to finish, but I doubt HBO would allow them to split it and ADWD/AFFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom