• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta announced - It's Uncharted but in Arabic

Just saw the gameplay demo. It's extremely rough and the animation is unacceptable. The gunplay looks rough as well. Other than that, the environments look passable. I'd play this if it's polished well.

Orayn

Looks a little rough around the edges, but it's good to hear that more countries are starting to acquire video game development scenes. The more wide-eyed idealists get into the industry, the more refreshing, ambitious projects we'll see.

Raide

Stumpokapow said:
Provided that it actually gets released, which I'm not conceding it will, I'd be happy to try it. I love the idea of game development from atypical countries. :)

This! I am more than willing to try it out. Yes its not going to be the AAA that people expect Uncharted 3 to be but it looks like a good first attempt.

ymmv

Banned
Kingsora said:
0624mvu1308934957386.jpg

What a cliche. The first Arab game and yes, there's a female character with a headscarf. I wonder if Arab games will be suffer from the Namco effect in reverse: in each new game the female characters will be swathed in more and more clothes and veils.

EatChildren said:
Despite the obvious, err, 'inspiration', a part of me really wants to buy stuff like this to support game development in growing regions.

Same. I guess if it's decent I'll give it a try, as it is a fledgling company. I'd really like to see what types of games studios all over the world would make.

Lesiroth

RockmanWhore said:
A game where the main female character isn't dressed like a whore, finally!
RockmanWhore

Sorry, had to.

So was I the only one who read the title as "Uncharted: Trail of Ibn Battuta" and was like HOLY SHIT YES! before I actually entered this thread? :/

In any case, I will buy the shit out of this on PS3 or Wii, the impact of a game made in a region I live in actually coming out officially for one of the big 3 systems is something I cannot ignore and will gladly help in making a success :)

I think it's a digital release though, it says PSN in the logo list. It also seems they're using Unity3D.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Saudi, eh? So if you play as the female character, you wont be allowed to drive vehicles. If ur real lucky u will be able to unlock the burqa or niqab.

Orayn said:
Looks a little rough around the edges, but it's good to hear that more countries are starting to acquire video game development scenes. The more wide-eyed idealists get into the industry, the more refreshing, ambitious projects we'll see.

lol did you see this game?

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
dak1dsk1 said:
Saudi, eh? So if you play as the female character, you wont be allowed to drive vehicles. If ur real lucky u will be able to unlock the burqa or niqab.
sw50sw8sw578.gif

tiff

Banned
RustyNails said:
Why is the dude wearing knee pads? That's just retarded. He looks like some motocross guy.
Uh, you realize knee pads aren't exactly uncommon on police/military uniforms, right?

sakipon

ymmv said:
The first Arab game and yes, there's a female character with a headscarf.

So you're saying that lending Uncharted isn't enough, but they should specifically not use the things original to their culture?

bengraven

ymmv said:
What a cliche. The first Arab game and yes, there's a female character with a headscarf.

It's a part of their culture and probably wouldn't be allowed to be developed if she didn't.

HawksEye

Best of luck to them, gotta start somewhere.

I hope it will at least create interest in game development in the region, and hopefully over time we should see quality and originality in their games :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I will really want to support this "movement" (meaning games being developed in various regions that's not commonly US/EU/Japan) but I'm not sure if I want to buy this.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Uncharted wasn't exactly an original concept. Not even close. I don't even see why people think this is so similar, but I guess I should expect anything from individuals who think "Unearthed" is too close to "Uncharted". Lol. If this ends up fun enough and priced properly, I'd have no problem buying it. I mean, assuming it's not an exact rip off with scenes, puzzles, and encounters (which haven't been shown so far) but has its own, cool Arabic themes etc. The videos are obviously too early, flickering environment and all, so I imagine the final product will be far more polished. Well, at least they'll hopefully be allowed to actually finish it. It could end up decent, or more than that.
ymmv said:
What a cliche. The first Arab game and yes, there's a female character with a headscarf. I wonder if Arab games will be suffer from the Namco effect in reverse: in each new game the female characters will be swathed in more and more clothes and veils.
It's a nice scarf, what are you even talking about, man? They're not forced to wear them everywhere you know, in most of these countries it's a choice and they can choose to wear it just because they like it as a part of a well liked tradition, a fashion choice, or both... Edit: and what SouSou said, I guess.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
ULTROS! said:
I will really want to support this "movement" (meaning games being developed in various regions that's not commonly US/EU/Japan) but I'm not sure if I want to buy this.

This x100.

I fully support the development of games from regions we are not used to pushing games but i can never purchase a game like this. They could have gotten away with this game if they had changed the name.

As a Muslim woman I'm delighted to see a character like that in a game, though I wish it was in a more original property. Headscarves are not a cliche. This may come as news to you but it's an important way of life for many people. Some people may be forced to wear it, but most are not (unless they live somewhere like Saudi Arabia).

I don't wear a scarf but my mom, cousin, and several of my relatives do. I'm sorry to go off like this but I always thought it would be great to include a strong Muslim woman in some of my work and to see this kind of reaction is incredibly disheartening :(.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The problem with this game's existence is this: Why would anyone buy a low budget clone of an Uncharted game when Uncharted's primary appeal is the way it showcases incredible talent and effort backed by a big budget? A mechanically and artistically poor Uncharted is a shallow and unnecessary game.

I agree that it's important to support game development in places that don't have an established industry yet, but they need to rise based on sound ideas, not ridiculous attempts to replicate high-budget Western games that are guaranteed to end in failure.

sakipon said:
So you're saying that lending Uncharted isn't enough, but they should specifically not use the things original to their culture?

Could use some more Chloe ass never can get enough of that perfect ass. :p

dat ass junior derailing thread.
chloe27sassxd.jpg

Why would anyone support this? Sure, ideas get "stolen" from games all the time, but this is going too far. Even the name is almost the same. I will never, ever buy this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
ymmv said:
The headscarf isn't a strictly Arabic thing. All of the Somali women I see around Minneapolis wear them. I

mollipen

SouSouRocket said:
I don't wear a scarf but my mom, cousin, and several of my relatives do. I'm sorry to go off like this but I always thought it would be great to include a strong Muslim woman in some of my work and to see this kind of reaction is incredibly disheartening :(.

It's just a question of not understanding a different culture or way of life, and that's always going to happen. The way you change that is to feature those ways of life, not get disheartened by the reactions that it might get and no longer want to do so.

Video games can teach at the same time that they entertain, so if somebody in the West went into this game thinking "head scarves are a sign of dominance over women," but learned through the game that that might not necessarily be the case, that'd be a good thing, right?

So it's confirmed to be developed by a Saudi Arabian game developer?
Interesting.
Will at least try it because of the inclusion of the hijab. I've been dying to see one in a game. I've always wanted a spy game with a utility-hijab with many different functions, but whoever would be bold to make that would have a fatwa issued against them. :( The comedic potential is endless.

Top Bottom