• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Neversoft is now working on Call of Duty.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Is Activision trying to kill the FPS genre like they did with the music genre?

Would that even be possible?

We knew they were making an FPS since GH6. Wouldn't surprise men if they're making the 2013 cod game to give infinity ward and sledgehammer a 3 year cycle for the next gen cod.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Who knew they were still around. I remember in the late 90's, everyone viewed them with such promise. They didn't really do anything after gun (except some more shitty TH games)

MG310

Just happy they still exist at this point since they get put on every single thing Activision insists on running into the ground.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
so Sledgehammer, Neresoft,IW and Treyarch are working on new CODs..

how in hell can Raven make dlc maps for all of these upcoming CoD games?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
My guess is that two of the four will be in charge of making COD games for the 360 and PS3 once the new consoles come out.

Yeah, that makes sense. So that's 5 studios working on Call of Duty or CoD-related content, then? Don't forget that Beachhead is still doing CoD Elite.

I wonder what contingency plan Acti has once this fever/bubble breaks. That's a lot of studios to be working on one IP.

Maybe another CoD spinoff? Black Ops, Modern Warfare, and maybe another sub-franchise? Not going to help with the franchise saturation but you know how Acti is.

http://www.neversoft.com/

Is anyone at Activision not working on COD or Skylanders?

Fixed.

Skylanders isn't a Spyro game, at least not to me, it's a new IP with Spyro shoe-horned in, Activision wanted him to be in it to spread his name, and I like that, but not if he's doomed to be this ugly thing forever.

Skylanders is a genius concept, Toys for Bob truly live up to their name (even though their name was chosen merely because they liked it lol), but Spyro shouldn't have been part of this.

If Vivendi does sell Activision, I pray that somehow they can take back Crash and Spyro and return them to their respected glories.

Come on Activision, you have great legacies at your disposal, don't abandon them! High Impact Games can help with Spyro (or Crash!), since Insomniac is busy with EA (and Sony) and I'm not sure if they'd feel like working on one nowadays.

Boss Man

The next big thing will be a Call of Duty MMO where players develop the next Call of Duty MMO. It's going to be like WUBWUB Escher drinking a Mountain Dew.

RszZm.jpg

jmdajr

To think EA is way more diverse than Activision these days.

What does Activision even make besides Call of Duty?

FinFan

HOLY FUCK! What ever they are working on, please hire a proper web designer! WTF!

Shoot me a PM if you need help.

Wii-U exclusive?

Could be more simply DLC specific I suppose; e.g. someone else is busy on the next game, get someone else to do the DLC.

Suppose Activision might try to bring back the WWII stuff in one franchise.
Far too much COD stuff though. Hopefully this is more about Activision increasing lead times and not the number of franchises per year.

Doubt it though.

FyreWulff

The way their site is solely CoD focused, doesn't look like Guitar Hero or a new Tony Hawk are going to exist any time soon.

I imagine either they're making a game, or they've become the mocap studio for CoD, considering they had a insane setup for motion cap

fernoca

Fixed.

Skylanders isn't a Spyro game, at least not to me, it's a new IP with Spyro shoe-horned in, Activision wanted him to be in it to spread his name, and I like that, but not if he's doomed to be this ugly thing forever.

Skylanders is a genius concept, Toys for Bob truly live up to their name (even though their name was chosen merely because they liked it lol), but Spyro shouldn't have been part of this.

If Vivendi does sell Activision, I pray that somehow they can take back Crash and Spyro and return them to their respected glories.

Come on Activision, you have great legacies at your disposal, don't abandon them! High Impact Games can help with Spyro (or Crash!), since Insomniac is busy with EA (and Sony) and I'm not sure if they'd feel like working on one nowadays.
Yes and ..Not really. :p
I mean, Skylanders as you said is not a Spyro game..in that matter, but it wasn't shoe-horned.
They were asked to chose a franchise from Vivendi to bring back (guess Crash was the other, as a reboot was been worked on back then by another developer, as the "Crash team" was working on Prototype) and they chose Spyro. They experimented with traditional gameplay, a more mature look (as the leaked art guess it showed); but weren't pleased. Neither wanted to just make the same..but bigger, as that was done already with the Legend of Spyro games.

They had the idea for the toys in mind, and since Activision gave them time and resources they decided to start it...as a Spyro game (kidna gritty too..but that was scrapped). The idea got bigger, it was pitched to Kotick. Kotick liked it but knew that it would only work if the quality of the game was good and the toys were well done; so more money was allotted to the game and toys/technology.

Because the idea of the game ended bigger, but originally started as Spyro game, it ended with Spyro more as a guest. :p

At the same time, this re-introduced Spyro to many gamers, so maybe Toys for Bob will make a separate/more traditional Spyro game...at some point; since that was the original plan.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What a waste of talent. Made the best Spider-Man game and the best Tony Hawk games, and they don't even get to make those anymore.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They were making a new sci-fi FPS IP at one point.

I wonder if it's the same game but rebranded.
No, wait, I think that started off as a CoD game became something else and seems might be a CoD game again? They do have 130-140 people IIRC—enough to support CoD and something else, I reckon. I don't think anything's been cancelled, so I suppose they are leading development on this one?

Takao

Banned
Yes and ..Not really. :p
I mean, Skylanders as you said is not a Spyro game..in that matter, but it wasn't shoe-horned.
They were asked to chose a franchise from Vivendi to bring back (guess Crash was the other, as a reboot was been worked on back then by another developer, as the "Crash team" was working on Prototype) and they chose Spyro. They experimented with traditional gameplay, a more mature look (as the leaked art guess it showed); but weren't pleased. Neither wanted to just make the same..but bigger, as that was done already with the Legend of Spyro games.

Radical (the Prototype people) were the ones working on a Crash reboot, which is funny since they made the previous Crash games ... Activision canceled it. Activision also canceled a Crash MMO/Online Arcade thing, and a Crash Team Racing reboot by High Impact Games.

Trickster

Man, Activision is gonna be in such deep shit if there ever comes a time when the sales for CoD slows down drastically.

Man, Activision is gonna be in such deep shit if there ever comes a time when the sales for CoD slows down drastically.

They'll just move on to something else.

Dunno why people are faulting Activision, this makes perfect business sense. They could release COD every year and make a billion dollars a year, or they can give COD a three-year development cycle, throws tons of resources at it, and make a billion dollars the year it releases.

Three billion compared to one billion. Gee, what a dilemma. I'd do the exact fucking thing if I were CEO of Activison. Strike while the iron is hot.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
They'll just move on to something else.

Dunno why people are faulting Activision, this makes perfect business sense. They could release COD every year and make a billion dollars a year, or they can give COD a three-year development cycle, throws tons of resources at it, and make a billion dollars the year it releases.

Three billion compared to one billion. Gee, what a dilemma. I'd do the exact fucking thing if I were CEO of Activison. Strike while the iron is hot.
I think people remember Guitar Hero/Rock Band, is the problem.

Takao

Banned
Those games were gimmicks though. CoD has shown itself to have lasting appeal and a userbase happy to upgrade each year.

Burnout: the experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest

It's something that happens to pretty much every franchise at some point. Only sports titles, and Mario seem to be immune.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Those games were gimmicks though. CoD has shown itself to have lasting appeal and a userbase happy to upgrade each year.

COD: Aerosmith

If 1 a year is good, 2 or 3 is better right? Unless they learned their lesson, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.

Top Bottom