• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

hilarious english guides to other languages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
I saw this image re: Japanese and I want more.

JYmAbqe.png
Anyone have more stuff like this? IIRC this is for Yokohama dialect from 1879.

Dio

Banned
I don't get it.

Get what? It's a guide on 'how to say' Japanese words and phrases using words that we'd know how to pronounce, to make it as easy as possible to get the 'sound' close so people understand you.

That being said, some of the ways that manifests are hilarious.

I.E. "Your a shee" for yoroshi, 1-2-3 being "stoats" for hitotsu, "stats" for futatsu, and "Meats" for mittsu.

Its definitely interesting to look at. This is only a few decades after Matthew Perry opening up relations with Japan, which basically ended centuries of Japanese isolation from the west. So you kind of got to look at this like trying to completely decipher a brand new language.

Cocaloch

Its definitely interesting to look at. This is only a few decades after Matthew Perry opening up relations with Japan, which basically ended centuries of Japanese isolation from the west. So you kind of got to look at this like trying to completely decipher a brand new language.

I think it's less about the fact that Japanese was "a brand new language" and more that the pedagogy of teaching languages in the 19th century was very different than that of today. I own a number of 19th century workbooks for learning Irish and they use a similar strategy for the early lessons.

Of course you could make the case that both Irish and, though to a much greater extent, Japanese have radically different orthographies compared to English and most other European languages, and that is what lead to this teaching style.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
These read like capcha: Skoshe am buy worry arimas

Randam

Get what? It's a guide on 'how to say' Japanese words and phrases using words that we'd know how to pronounce, to make it as easy as possible to get the 'sound' close so people understand you.

I.E. "Your a shee" for yoroshi, 1-2-3 being "stoats" for hitotsu, "stats" for futatsu, and "Meats" for mittsu.
How about you mention that this is for Japanese in an introduction sentence before the picture?

I figured most of them out, but some of them i still have no idea what the corresponding Japanese is

UFO

Banned
What is the price of your horse?
The price is a penny
It is not much
Is he ill?
He has been off his feed but merely for a shirt time.

This is oddly specific.

What is the price of your horse?
The price is a penny
It is not much
Is he ill?
He has been off his feed but merely for a shirt time.

This is oddly specific.

Presumably it's a guidebook for 19th century traders, so those seem rather useful to have in their vocabulary.

What I want to know is what part does "ghost of a departed cattle" play in all of this.

RangerBAD

Like "is he ill?" I would say "kare ga byouki desu ka?"

"Am buy worry arimasu?" Sounds like nothing i can even imagine

Yeah, it's hard to figure out if you aren't familiar with the language. And if you said it with an American or English accent the results are pretty funny.

Apzu

Oh, I thought this would be about things like "My tailor is rich".

Anyway, "Cheese eye" is the best, because they are actually using english words and not just english giberish.

I understand most of what they are trying to write but some of it I'm completely lost at maybe it's the dialect specific vocabulary.
Really most of the second page I have no clue.

Hastati

Thanks for sharing this, really interesting especially considering the era.

If I ever own a boat I'm christening it The Jiggy Jiggy Fooney.

edit:
I found some background to that first page. This is in Japanese though....

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jeigakushi1969/2000/32/2000_32_1/_pdf

Also found a copy of the book.

https://archive.org/details/revisedenlargede00atki

awesome, thanks for digging this up!

omg otera --> "oh terror" XD that works amazingly well for certain temples

Cybrwzrd

Banned
The short and nasty version it is that the book was more of a joke type of a book made to dupe new arrivals for trade. Yokohama being a major port at the time had it's own pidgin dialect of Japanese which had picked up English, Chinese and Malaysian words as well.

hirokazu

Maybe it is "Anno ba warui arimasuka"?

I know it isn't correct Japanese, but Ba is on reading of Horse...
But everywhere else refers to horse as mar (uma), so it can't be that...

I found some background to that first page. This is in Japanese though....

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jeigakushi1969/2000/32/2000_32_1/_pdf

One more in English:

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jeigakushi1969/1982/14/1982_14_53/_pdf

Also found a copy of the book.

https://archive.org/details/revisedenlargede00atki

Also here is a research paper in English on the book.

http://revije.ff.uni-lj.si/ala/article/view/2239
Good find!

EDIT: Based on that study, "buy" is cow, though I can't think of how that is - gyuu, maybe? So maybe the phrase as "ano gyuu warui arimasuka?" Which still doesn't make much sense.

The short and nasty version it is that the book was more of a joke type of a book made to dupe new arrivals for trade. Yokohama being a major port at the time had it's own pidgin dialect of Japanese which had picked up English, Chinese and Malaysian words as well.
I don't think it was a joke phrasebook - that article you linked to is a serious study of it, but it is a bastardised pidgin form of Japanese, enough for traders to get by.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I don't think it was a joke phrasebook - that article you linked to is a serious study of it, but it is a bastardised pidgin form of Japanese, enough for traders to get by.

Read some of the later pages, and the intro as well. It becomes painfully obvious that the book was a joke, but it also does shine light on the local pidgin dialect.

This is classic:

On page 21 of the book.

"You must make less disturbance driving nails into the wall, or I shall be obliged to punish you"

In "Japanese" : "Oh my pompom bobbery wa tarkshee pumgutz"

Also "Perambulator" (baby carriage/stroller) - "Baby san bashaw"

Also, this very important phrase:

" The great depreciation of the value of the paper currency value of the Imperial Japanese Government renders it impossible during the prolonged absence of my partners to accept your tempting offer"

"Kinsatz yah dai oh Dora your a shee"

hirokazu

Read some of the later pages, and the intro as well. It becomes painfully obvious that the book was a joke, but it also does shine light on the local pidgin dialect.

This is classic:

On page 21 of the book.

"You must make less disturbance driving nails into the wall, or I shall be obliged to punish you"

In "Japanese" : "Oh my pompom bobbery wa tarkshee pumgutz"

Also "Perambulator" (baby carriage/stroller) - "Baby san bashaw"

Also, this very important phrase:

" The great depreciation of the value of the paper currency value of the Imperial Japanese Government renders it impossible during the prolonged absence of my partners to accept your tempting offer"

"Kinsatz yah dai oh Dora your a shee"
The book does seem to genuinely translate the English phrases into whatever the Pidgin Japanese form may be though. For example the baby carriage seems to be "baby-san basho." Which makes no sense but I can see where it's coming from as a pidgin term. But that's not to say it's not light-hearted in nature. Some of the phrases are a bit wild and I'm not gonna try work out the equivalent Japanese.

Erigu

Based on that study, "buy" is cow, though I can't think of how that is - gyuu, maybe? So maybe the phrase as "ano gyuu warui arimasuka?" Which still doesn't make much sense.
I imagine it's the other way around: buy -> 買う -> cow

Cybrwzrd

Banned
The book does seem to genuinely translate the English phrases into whatever the Pidgin Japanese form may be though. For example the baby carriage seems to be "baby-san basho." Which makes no sense but I can see where it's coming from as a pidgin term. But that's not to say it's not light-hearted in nature. Some of the phrases are a bit wild and I'm not gonna try work out the equivalent Japanese.

Ok, but how about this one from page 26

"Excuse my plain speaking, I am not like other Japanese dealers, and have always made it a rule to ask only the price I will take for my goods. I have travelled in Christian countries and have learned to despise the double faced dealings of our nation"

Is apparently:

"Watarkshee atchera kooni maro maro arimasu. Japan otoko bakka, kono house stoats neigh dan backary hanash"

Which I think translates to "I have been around to many different countries. Japanese men are stupid. This place(house?) only has one price I say!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom