• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade Will Feature 22 Languages and 9 Voiceover Dubs — Japanese Dub Exclusive to Japan

GFoypOqW4AAfvSq

Following the latest State of Play showcase revealing the release date for the highly anticipated Shift-Up action game Stellar Blade, director Kim Hyung Tae was interviewed by various outlets. Several gameplay and character elements are delved into greater detail, as well as specific features players can expect. The technical director also participated in some answers.

In an interview with PushSquare, the director announced that the title will feature 22 languages and nine voiceover dubs, offering players a plethora of options. However, there are some caveats. Most notably, the Japanese voices will only be available in Japan, while the Japanese text will be available to select worldwide.
The technical director then confirmed that the Korean dub would be available worldwide and feature lip-synced animations alongside the English and Japanese dubs.

You can view these quoted comments below:
“The game offers a total of 22 different languages, and nine voiceover dubbings. The user can freely select from these options. But we do have to tell you that the Japanese voices will only be available in Japan. The Japanese text will be available, but it’s the voiceover that won’t be. This is due to the voice actors, as they’ll only be available in the Japanese region.”

“English, Japanese, and Korean all have lip-synced animations, so the users will get to experience more natural voiceovers,”

Why no Japanese for western auidence? I actually prefer to play Japanese games or games that are set in Japan in it's original dub.
I gues this is Korean.

I'm gonna play this one in Korean. It will be just like those K-dramas that I don't watch

Why no Japanese for western auidence? I actually prefer to play Japanese games or games that are set in Japan in it's original dub.
I gues this is Korean.
The short answer is that the dev and studio didn't want to pay the licensing fees to make the JP voice work available outside of Japan. The game is made by Koreans anyways, so the original language is Korean not Japanese

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I gues this is Korean.
I don’t think the game’s setting takes place in Japan.

Yes, its a Korean game, strange that people who want it in Japanese (unless you are in Japan or are Japanese but those in Japan get that anyway)
Not really strange since Japan has lots of high quality voice actress.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
If the English VA is good I don’t mind, but more options would always be better.

Saber

Gold Member
I don’t think the game’s setting takes place in Japan.

Not really strange since Japan has lots of high quality voice actress.

Good that you answer your question already. Not that I have a thing against Korean, but most of Japan actors and actress are great so I will mostly pick Japanese as a choice. I will pick Korean in this, serves me just fine too.
The only one I have a thing against is the English version that felt really out of place. It was the worst thing of the video.

Licensing I guess. It wouldn't be the first time a game had JP voices available in Japan only.
Probably this licensing for voice actors in Japan is super expensive. Not to mention the agencies are super protective of their voice actors, so they probably asked for a lot for licensing the JP dub for other countries.

I'll never understand why an international product isn't made accessible to the entire international audience.

I don't know if 22+9 is normal or already more than usual, but they have the files, just spread them to anyone who wants them?

I might want to learn Japanese, Mandarin, Korean, French etc whatever. Sure; I cant demand latin, klingon and elvish but if you already did the work, licensing it for a few dozen people outside of the actual target country can't be that expensive. Either there is more demand than they think, and it is worth it because of it, or there is little demand and no artist can ask for that much extra money if it is reaching just 1% additional people.

On disc offering the most appropriate languages for the respective country, okay, it's limited in size after all, but digital should allow any language of your choice to be downloaded in addition to the standard pack. But also exclude anything I don't want and need to save traffic and storage.

A bit weird is PS3 for example. When I set the language of my console to English, I have to play French on the Plus stream with some games, since English is not included for my region, and the default language is then French for some reason. I would need to choose German to get German, but I don't want to play English games in German. duh. Iirc Spiderman and another game on PS4 had similar issues. One had no voiceover with the "wrong" console language choice and the other faulty/cut off sounds. Just annoying to select it back and forth for single games.

YukiOnna

Either SIE didn't pay the license fee for some reason, or it's a contract thing... the latter is weird and unlikely though since NIKKE and a lot of other games has no problem with this.

Oh well, I'll just be importing it because I still want to play w/ JP VA and prefer that performance + know the cast. English dub is horrible as expected so that's lose-lose.

does that mean that if I'm able to get a Japan copy of the game, I can still get Japanese voice while I play in NA? or is that a system region thing?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I’m curious about is if the characters going to speak during gameplay just like Nier series.

Even with Japanese voice it would be hard read subtitles during heat of the combat.

this wasn't much issue in Nier series because they had excellent English voice acting.

Last edited:

Reaseru

I would prefer the japanese voice over, but I also enjoy korean language, so no problem. I got used to by watching south korean TV series.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

I just start watch Korean movies after Parasite. Their thriller/crime movies are crazy good. Might be the best in the world right now.
They have great romantic/drama or romantic/comedy movies as well, if you are younger and more santimental. Here're a few: My Sassy Girl;The Classic; Take care of my cat; Christmas in August. But you're right - very engaging thrillers.

Thought of a few more: Ing; The Lake House;

Last edited:

midnightAI

One reason I usually play in the native language is usually that is what the lip sync is synchronised with, but this seems to have multi language lip sync also? (Impressive if it is)

Mr Hyde

It seems Stellar Blade has some decent hype behind it now. I really hope this game does well commercially. We need more original IPs.

They have great romantic/drama or romantic/comedy movies as well, if you are younger and more santimental. Here're a few: My Sassy Girl;The Classic; Take care of my cat; Christmas in August. But you're right - very engaging thrillers.

Thought of a few more: Ing; The Lake House;
I watched some Kdramas because of my wife forces me to. Kind of understand why people like it but Romantic is not my type lol. I did watch My Sassy Girl, really fun/cute movie.

But their Thriller/ Crimes movies are the best to me, don't think any country could compete against Korea in that genre. Far more superior to other Hollywood Thriller I have ever watched.

Last edited:
Top Bottom