• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

mortal

Gold Member
I thought we wanted more strong females in lead roles?

I guess it only counts when the female is fat, ugly, a minority or has a cock.
Well EVE is Asian, so she's already a minority representation in Western countries.
Shift Up just made her design unapologetically sexy without being subversive or ironic and they're butthurt about it.
Hell, even when CDPR prominently featured trans characters in Cyberpunk 2077, those same people on Resetra Era still cried foul because it was overly sexualized and they wanted to ban the game anyway :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Tommi84

less ree, more ass/boobs,
JUB1Zvs.jpg
ecFlmRM.jpg

Crayon

After looking at it for 3 hours, gotta say her default outfit is kinda painful. The green chrome catsuit is great. But then the fairy-wing cape, the lace choker, short necktie, and the... suspenders hanging off her shoulders? All the other outfits in the demo are much better, including the skin suit no lie.

0Gg2T1c-UMo9jh_wIgEggDKOkjNkD0SdQMw3_WX-e3_AGLEdSf1nSH9bWvU6InOv-F05bnZxu0X7s8zt8PRXLy8K2NW40NzWTfOjoXERrd85Twzi6OAkyTb4hLExO-zD6stbGdDQ7MnRynULpe0VVxhRX1sTSgo

Some good combat tips here for the boss challenge.
L1 + × Guard gauge reduction
L1 + ◻ ︎ Long reach and can stun opponents
L1 + △ Wide-area attack
L1 + ◯ Long reach slash attack When it glows blue ↑◯
When it glows purple ↓◯ (after lying down and struggling)
If it glows yellow, you can't block, so focus on avoiding it and see how many parries you can get...!

SpaceDeliria

Neo Member
I don't get people losing their shit over this game at Era. Stylish sexy action games have existed for a long time. The PS2 gen was filled with them and so treating Stellar Blade like some affront to gaming is just bizarre to me. We need more varied visual designs in gaming today not less and yet those crazy folks want to clamp down on Stellar Blade so that gaming visuals styles can only conform to what they deem as 'correct'. I'll never understand it. Personally I'll be playing Stellar Blade. It just seems like really good stylish action game and we don't get enough of those anymore.

I don't get people losing their shit over this game at Era. Stylish sexy action games have existed for a long time. The PS2 gen was filled with them and so treating Stellar Blade like some affront to gaming is just bizarre to me. We need more varied visual designs in gaming today not less and yet those crazy folks want to clamp down on Stellar Blade so that gaming visuals styles can only conform to what they deem as 'correct'. I'll never understand it. Personally I'll be playing Stellar Blade. It just seems like really good stylish action game and we don't get enough of those anymore.

They’re just looking to rage at something and be heard, it has nothing to do with the game itself

The game is merely an excuse to channel their mental disorder

Last edited:
They’re just looking to rage at something and be heard, it has nothing to do with the game itself

The game is merely an excuse to channel their mental disorder

This.

Also, Shift Up is the new transfer student in the console market so bullies see him as an easy victim. As it happens in the movies, the new guy knows Kung-Fu and the bullies got their fat asses kicked.

Adherence to the narrative signals group belonging.

The sexiness isn't nearly as intrusive as they feared. But it was decided long ago that it would be, thus it is.

Crayon

I’m abroad so I haven’t been following the trailers and whatnot, but this game looks great.

Don’t really see anything that would be genuinely controversial about it to a normal, well-adjusted person.

Me and my wife were studying the skinsuit closely last night lol. At first we saw the characters as something that used to be perfectly common. But really... EVE is like... anatomically correct lol. We agreed we haven't played a game that modeled every nook and cranny of someone's body like that. We're normal and we were at least surprised. It's Korea, tho.

Just took a minute for us to get used to and it was whatever. But I can see someone with common enough conservative-puritan values (but not a woke psycho) being legit offended even if they were fine with say, bayo or cammy.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Me and my wife were studying the skinsuit closely last night lol. At first we saw the characters as something that used to be perfectly common. But really... EVE is like... anatomically correct lol. We agreed we haven't played a game that modeled every nook and cranny of someone's body like that. We're normal and we were at least surprised. It's Korea, tho.

Just took a minute for us to get used to and it was whatever. But I can see someone with common enough conservative-puritan values (but not a woke psycho) being legit offended even if they were fine with say, bayo or cammy.
In 2024 though you'd have to be unusually sheltered. You only need to open up a social media app for two seconds or watch any of the most popular music videos or TV shows to see 10x more than a lady in a bodysuit.

It’s just culture wars nonsense - they thought they were winning the ‘battle’ against white male gamers and either purging or assimilating them, and this game - and the potential appreciation of it - represents something of a wake up call.

It’s buoyed by things like Twitter opening up, SBI being called out for grifting and the UK banning gender suppression pills to teenagers on the NHS - they feel things are regressing when of course it is just the case that they went too far before and there will obviously be a course correction. That is why this game must fail AT ALL COSTS.

Bonkers!

Last edited:
It’s just culture wars nonsense - they thought they were winning the ‘battle’ against white male gamers and either purging or assimilating them, and this game - and the potential appreciation of it - represents something of a wake up call.

It’s buoyed by things like Twitter opening up, SBI being called out for grifting and the UK banning gender suppression pills to teenagers on the NHS - they feel things are regressing when of course it is just the case that they went too far before and there will obviously be a course correction. That is why this game must fail AT ALL COSTS.

Bonkers!

Well said!

LordOfChaos

Initial impressions, it's definitely giving a LOT of Nier Automata down to the floaty thing following you around. Except that was about androids and robots and aliens and was complicated, I'm not 100% sure what's going on here, but it seems like a similar thing I guess? Humanity decimated, largely female combat droids created to fight? Or are these augmented humans?

Damn, Tachy may have been hotter than Eve...

Something I can't put my finger on seems a bit tech demo-ey...I mean I guess it is a demo. It sure doesn't spend time on much and it's here's some boobs here's some action go go go, which could be seen as a good thing.

Crayon

In 2024 though you'd have to be unusually sheltered. You only need to open up a social media app for two seconds or watch any of the most popular music videos or TV shows to see 10x more than a lady in a bodysuit.

That's true. That would be a rare case. Regardless, it was definitely more risqué than the 90's-2000's sexy battle lady we expected.

The parry and perfect dodge are frustrating the piss out of me at this point. I just can't get any of it down reliably. One run I'll parry well, the next I miss every parry and get fucking trashed by those locust dudes. The arnored bug type guys are also a random crapshoot for me. I'm addicted to playing it but I fucking suck at it

Edit: As soon as I type that, I beat the demo boss with only one heal and got a finishing move in because I actually parried a lot of his shit. Figures lol 🤡

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The parry and perfect dodge are frustrating the piss out of me at this point. I just can't get any of it down reliably. One run I'll parry well, the next I miss every parry and get fucking trashed by those locust dudes. The arnored bug type guys are also a random crapshoot for me. I'm addicted to playing it but I fucking suck at it

Edit: As soon as I type that, I beat the demo boss with only one heal and got a finishing move in because I actually parried a lot of his shit. Figures lol 🤡
You’ll be a master at it when the final game drops. I was like that with Vergil’s judgement cuts in DMC5SE. You can do them continuously in the air. I was to the point where two was all I could do and right when I thought that, I started to do them flawlessly and on command. It felt good.

Eiknarf

Banned
Any word on how many preorders there are?
I’m sure Sony can see how many preorders on the PS Store
I’m sure GameStop, Best Buy and Target knows

Reactions: Isa
Finished the demo and beaten the extra boss after a few attempts.
Game feels soo satisfying, it's basically Bayonetta contaminated by a bit of Souls-like.
The art style is fantastic and music is Nier Automata tier.
100% get.
Yeah, really enjoying the demo. The combat is different to what I expected, but I think it's great that you have to be a bit on the defensive side and not just mash the attack button. The vibe and the music is on point too. Feels like a modern day PS2 game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa
I hardly ever play demos, but tried this one. There is stuff to like in it, but overall not my game.
The music felt nice, it just chilled in the background. Her floating steps when slowly walking looked just weird. Must be some feature of her impractical shoeware, that isn't just over the top nonsense like in Bayonetta. The time slots for parrying same as evading felt weird and whatever enemy move should signal it, I did not really get it. Laying on the ground after a hit, takes forever to get up though. The timings should be more balanced. Give me a bit more time to react to something, with a clearer trigger message, while not annoy me with extra slow getting up animations. Story feels very meh, throwing you into battle right away, but lacking any personality beyond heroism from the two ladies. Graphics are okay, but not really PS5 exclusive great.
I think people liking convoluted Dmc will like it, but I am still waiting for something that is more like Bayonetta. That had sexyness, took itself not one iota serious and I felt powerful throughout every moment unlike seemingly all other character actions games where there is a lot of I am the best and baddest talk in the cutscenes but not much actually happening in the fights unless you really really really get every move perfectly done.
Might play it, if it hits Plus but don't feel like buying it at all, I hope it succeeds though. I hope also that any other game succeeds that is made out of a place of love for something and not hate against one or another race, body type, gender or whatever some people seemingly try to overcorrect with their work, making the self loathing dreadful to experience.

GymWolf

You know, it's not some people here or there that might like the gameplay enough to overlook the problematic aspects of this game and its developer that bother me that much, it's the weaponizining by the far right, by incels, misogynisty and other filth that makes me physically ill.

That Sony is backing it and it's gotten this big is horrifying. I wouldn't care if it was just another horny niche ass anime game no one cared about, but this is getting big and a core pillar in the Gamer Gate 2.0 stuff ...

I had to deinstall Twitter because it showed me just the most vile content lately and in all of that it's just devaststing for me that such a game got so much unearned attention. I thought we were better or rather further along by now, in 2024, but it feels like we're regressing.

At this point I just want this game to release so that the whole conversation will die down a few weeks later. That's my only silver lining with this game right now, that it will go away some day.

tumblr_n5lo51TePL1r6z92fo1_r1_400.gifv

Dibils2k

this wasnt even on my radar, and i dont like dark souls like games but gave it ago as it has a "easy" mode, pretty impressed, visuals are very nice too

Last edited:

FunkMiller

You know, it's not some people here or there that might like the gameplay enough to overlook the problematic aspects of this game and its developer that bother me that much, it's the weaponizining by the far right, by incels, misogynisty and other filth that makes me physically ill.

Strong argument that making a game featuring a sexy female main character is a lot less misogynistic than demanding males be given access to female only safe spaces.

Angry Robert Deniro GIF by Killers of the Flower Moon

That Sony is backing it and it's gotten this big is horrifying. I wouldn't care if it was just another horny niche ass anime game no one cared about, but this is getting big and a core pillar in the Gamer Gate 2.0 stuff ...

I had to deinstall Twitter because it showed me just the most vile content lately and in all of that it's just devaststing for me that such a game got so much unearned attention. I thought we were better or rather further along by now, in 2024, but it feels like we're regressing.

At this point I just want this game to release so that the whole conversation will die down a few weeks later. That's my only silver lining with this game right now, that it will go away some day.

tumblr_n5lo51TePL1r6z92fo1_r1_400.gifv
Those top shelf words. Horrifying, vile, filth. Fundamental Christians banning that evil Rap and Heavy Metal music back in the house yaaaa'llll!

BbMajor7th

Frankly, I support diversity in representation: Aloy, Ellie, Selene, Frey Holland, 2B, EVE... it's good to have lots of different things for a lot of different people and it's okay if those things are not to everyone's taste. Diversity isn't about moving from one dull box (pretty, white, helpless damsel) to another (independent, wise-cracking, bi-sexual girl-boss), it's about variety. Really, I look at the contrast between Abby and EVE and think:

Thats Good Sydney Sweeney GIF by First We Feast

Rna6

Neo Member
Lmao at all the Resetera posts, these guys are crazy. I said on the Dragon's Dogma 2's review thread that japanese games often have shitty optimizations (that was prior the game's release, and I was right), and they banned me for "xenophobia".

I'm a leftist, but they are not. They're just liberals with a taste for dictatorship.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned

Who the fuck wrote this?

Lmao at all the Resetera posts, these guys are crazy. I said on the Dragon's Dogma 2's review thread that japanese games often have shitty optimizations (that was prior the game's release, and I was right), and they banned me for "xenophobia".

I'm a leftist, but they are not. They're just liberals with a taste for dictatorship.
They are lunatics for sure. Definitely a few sandwiches short of a picnic. They just look to find anything and attach ‘phobia’ to it so they can screech and ban people. Any sane person doesn’t waste their time going to that shithole and engaging with those weirdos.

Top Bottom