• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellar Blade demo launches on PS5 March 29, with save data carrying over to the full game

Crayon

Look at my stats from last year…
k59iJCh.jpeg

vMRT2WJ.jpeg

46 and 18 hours… I just realized I’m not really a console gamer anymore.

That said, I can’t be without Nintendo’s consoles. Can’t wait for Switch 2!

But I’m taking a break from Xbox and Playstation for awhile. It’s an experiment. We’ll see how it goes. I just felt like I waste money buying every console and midgen upgrade when I barely use them and rather play on PC.

Xbox is easily ignored. Everything is on PC day 1 and better and has mods. Playstation is more difficult, means I’ll be at the wrong side of a timed exclusivity deal on every exclusive. It’s annoying for sure.

Can't argue with those numbers, damn. I split between ps5 and pc but way more ps5 time lately. The switch.... well, you got to have "a nintendo" but that thing chills for what seems like years at a time.

Fredrik

Can't argue with those numbers, damn. I split between ps5 and pc but way more ps5 time lately. The switch.... well, you got to have "a nintendo" but that thing chills for what seems like years at a time.
It’s even worse than you think lol. Most played Xbox game was LEGO Ninjago, 8 hours, played by my youngest one.
On PS5 the most played game was Hogwarts at least, but only 14 hours, was later bought on PC.
Oh and I played less than an hour of Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox, played like crap with controller, tried to refund it but was too late.

On PC I played over 150 hours of Elden Ring though! After already having played it over 300 hours in 2022. And over 300 hours of Starfield!
And this year I’ve already broken the 2023 combined playtime on Xbox and PS with my new living room PC I bought about a month ago.
🙃

nowhat

So just starting out the demo, and the comparisons to Automata can't be denied. Not a negative thing in my opinion.

But... how can you miss jump + heavy attack for a special combo/move? Yes, it's a Platinum Games staple, but it works, it works so well. So not having it is just kinda weird. I do it all the time (or try to, at any rate), pretty much unconsciously.

Last edited:
So just starting out the demo, and the comparisons to Automata can't be denied. Not a negative thing in my opinion.

But... how can you miss jump + heavy attack for a special combo/move? Yes, it's a Platinum Games staple, but it works, it works so well. So not having it is just kinda weird. I do it all the time (or try to, at any rate), pretty much unconsciously.
It's, idiotically, a skill tree unlock. The jump + Triangle I mean. You can do it in the Boss Challenge mode which has a ton of stuff unlocked. That or farm the demo for XP points.

Korean is way better

It has the nier vibe but combat borrows from sekiro more. Not combo/hack n slash game.

Last edited:

Crayon

It’s even worse than you think lol. Most played Xbox game was LEGO Ninjago, 8 hours, played by my youngest one.
On PS5 the most played game was Hogwarts at least, but only 14 hours, was later bought on PC.
Oh and I played less than an hour of Baldur’s Gate 3 on Xbox, played like crap with controller, tried to refund it but was too late.

On PC I played over 150 hours of Elden Ring though! After already having played it over 300 hours in 2022. And over 300 hours of Starfield!
And this year I’ve already broken the 2023 combined playtime on Xbox and PS with my new living room PC I bought about a month ago.
🙃

Oh yeah when you go living room pc, it's fucking on.

Just don't go selling and rebuying the same console like it's a psp!!

Eh, if you steer clear of the obvious circle jerk/ban bait threads you can get good conversations and some OTs get a lot more traction, especially for smaller games.

I'm not a member but I can see why someone might join even if they don't like/agree with the heavy handed political stuff.
For smaller games just use Reddit or 4chan they are great for niche titles

This guy does some in-depth analysis of the plot of Stellar Blade from the demo and trailers, some wild stuff in there and might be spoilers if his speculations are correct. He think there is a section of the game where you get to play Eve in a Mech-Suit.

Salz01

Hmmm might play it in Korean just to support the devs some more. Plus it sounds a bit better. Hopefully I can last long enough to keep reading subtitles.

Needlecrash

Lmao at all the Resetera posts, these guys are crazy. I said on the Dragon's Dogma 2's review thread that japanese games often have shitty optimizations (that was prior the game's release, and I was right), and they banned me for "xenophobia".

I'm a leftist, but they are not. They're just liberals with a taste for dictatorship.
Sometimes you go SO far left that you eventually turn....Right.

And your statement is spot on too. Does anyone remember Dark Souls on PC when it first came out??? It ran at 720p/30fps! Until Duarte fixed the fucking game FOR FREE and ran at 1080p/60fps. Or how Dragon's Dogma 2 isn't optimized and patches are on the way. Or, Nier Automata running and looking like dogshit on PC and Platinum Games is like "I don't see a problem, deal with it" and modders improved the game that the devs couldn't bother to fix.....until 5 to 6 years later when the Microsoft (PC/Game Pass) version performed MUCH BETTER THAN STEAM RELEASE. 😬😬😬

Madflavor

Sometimes you go SO far left that you eventually turn....Right.

And your statement is spot on too. Does anyone remember Dark Souls on PC when it first came out??? It ran at 720p/30fps! Until Duarte fixed the fucking game FOR FREE and ran at 1080p/60fps. Or how Dragon's Dogma 2 isn't optimized and patches are on the way. Or, Nier Automata running and looking like dogshit on PC and Platinum Games is like "I don't see a problem, deal with it" and modders improved the game that the devs couldn't bother to fix.....until 5 to 6 years later when the Microsoft (PC/Game Pass) version performed MUCH BETTER THAN STEAM RELEASE. 😬😬😬

The Progressive Paradox. You go so far to the left you circle around and end up on the Right. A lot of progressives aren't self aware of how conservative their views actually are, and this goes especially for Era with their opinions on female video game characters.

Shit I started a new Sekiro playthrough because I finally uninstalled this demo after 6 hours and it's like a cold glass of water thrown on my face.
Understandable. Sekiro is not for everyone, but if/when it clicks, it's like magic.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Stellar Blade feels like a more forgiving Sekiro.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So what would be a similar, good character action game to fuck around with and work on reflexes etc while waiting for this to release? I dont want to play the demo over and over

Ninja Gaiden?

Understandable. Sekiro is not for everyone, but if/when it clicks, it's like magic.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Stellar Blade feels like a more forgiving Sekiro.
I've put a good amount of time into it over the years and the main draw for me is the level design, atmosphere and art. I think the combat is obnoxiously restrictive and it feels really loose yet stiff at the same time. It has a ton of appeal and I love a lot about it since clearly I'm playing it again but it being held up as an example of a great, or even responsive, combat system baffles me sometimes.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

Multiple people are reporting it makes a huge difference apparently.

Man, this is most likely placebo - the same placebo regarding PS portal in that the new 2.06 update fixed problems (they're still there), the same placebo where supposedly, removing the HDMI cable from your TV fixes streaming stutter etc etc...

How the fuck would disabling HDCP which is basically an anti piracy measure solely for HD streaming content actually improve input lag in a video game/when running code ?

It's not a dig towards you Mad f but redditors, the shit I've been reading the past couple of days since I joined a specific subreddit is just that, shit, lots of lots of people with zero technical understanding of how things work spouting non-facts over and over again...

Last edited:

Madflavor

What is HDCP exactly anyway? Wonder how this affects other games and services?

I'm technologically retarded, so you're asking the wrong guy.

Man, this is most likely placebo - the same placebo regarding PS portal in that the new 2.06 update fixed problems (they're still there), the same placebo where supposedly, removing the HDMI cable from your TV fixes streaming stutter etc etc...

How the fuck would disabling HDCP which is basically an anti piracy measure solely for HD streaming content actually improve input lag in a video game/when running code ?

It's not a dig towards you Mad f but redditors, the shit I've been reading the past couple of days since I joined a specific subreddit is just that, shit, lots of lots of people with zero technical understanding of how things work spouting non-facts over and over again...

I dunno I've seen a lot of people say they noticed a difference. They're perfect parrying and dodging way more frequently than before.

Finished the demo last night. I honestly enjoyed it so damn much. I'm not normally too good at parrying in games, but I jumped into the training mode and literally just practiced parry for like 10 mins straight, feel like I really got the hang of the timing after that. Then went back into the game and faced Abbadon. Took me a few attempts, but each try I was improving. I got to the point where I was parrying 4, 5, maybe 6 attacks in a row and finally beat him.

I feel like the parry timing isn't actually as bad as people say. You just need to practice. Honestly, if I can do it and beat the demo, anyone can, because I'm normally pretty useless at these types of games.

The fact they did the combat like this and not just button mashy was actually a great idea IMO. Other than the combat, I loved the music, atmosphere, graphics, and Eve's ass. Fantastic demo, and can't wait to play the full game.

GymWolf

I tried the method of playing with 2 fingers inside my ass to make the evade window larger but i just got killed anyway.

I guess i have to try the 3 fingers method i readed elsewhere, wish me good luck.

Markio128

I tried the method of playing with 2 fingers inside my ass to make the evade window larger but i just got killed anyway.

I guess i have to try the 3 fingers method i readed elsewhere, wish me good luck.
Apparently, if you have one of those old coaxial aerials, and connect it to a croissant, that will improve performance by 17%.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

🙃

And this is why Sony should NEVER bring their single-player games to PC on Day One. No disrespect to you, but they are losing money with people like yourself gaming this way. And some games like Stellar Blade should be on the PS5 only. Just like Bloodborne. And if it gets a Remake, then put that version on PC.

mckmas8808

The one time I saw a Lady Decade video posted here, I was surprised to see a lot of negative posts about her. Maybe this will change some tunes. She is way out of her normal lane, here.

This is a good video. Yes, you are a woman of color and that's okay. Did you get highlighted by Youtube because of your color or gender? Maybe. But that's only a good thing, because when things like this happen her voice is VERY needed. This is what true diversity looks like.

Fredrik

And this is why Sony should NEVER bring their single-player games to PC on Day One. No disrespect to you, but they are losing money with people like yourself gaming this way. And some games like Stellar Blade should be on the PS5 only. Just like Bloodborne. And if it gets a Remake, then put that version on PC.
They’re only losing money if PC gamers would buy a PS to play their exclusives if there was no PC versions. Going by my experience with almost only PC gamer friends that never happens. But I have several friends who now play Horizon Forbidden West because I’ve been talking about it nonstop since the PC release.

mckmas8808

They’re only losing money if PC gamers would buy a PS to play their exclusives if there was no PC versions. Going by my experience with almost only PC gamer friends that never happens. But I have several friends who now play Horizon Forbidden West because I’ve been talking about it nonstop since the PC release.

They lose 30% every time a game is purchased on Steam and not on the PS Store though.

That's fine, but because a sale on PC is less than a sale on console, and because it's difficult to release a quality and highly optimized game on multiple systems rather than just 1, there's no incentive for Sony to ever do day-and-date PC. They will get the smaller straggler revenue from PC later, which helps stabilize cashflows in non-busy quarters.

Last edited:

Fredrik

They lose 30% every time a game is purchased on Steam and not on the PS Store though.
True. But I’d say it’s rare for PC gamers to purchase games on PS Store, so they still make money from PC versions within that group.
And they lose my double dipping with no PC versions… (trying to avoid all that right now!)

The risk with PC versions is like on Xbox last gen. People can start thinking that the console isn’t needed. PS fans said that about Xbox even with delayed PC versions, will happen for PS as well like with me who aren’t using the PS5 anymore. Long term it could be bad.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Finished the demo and it was pretty good, I’ll get it eventually. Not my kinda game exactly, but I can see that objectively it will be a really nice one. And if it’s true that these developers only made mobile games before then it’s actually crazy impressive.

Crayon

The demo has pulled me back in. Skinsuit makes the game a lil harder so it brings out the gameplay more.

Platinum is good at making their action games feel different from each other. That's a feat in itself, really. Shift Up has succeeded in making their own unique feel. As unique as 3rd person melee fighting can be, at least.

It actually feels slower and heavier than souls except the are a lot of explosive moves that cover distance and deal multiple hits that make it look more dmc-like at a glance. But the startup on everything is so slow and the dash is weak.

Movement is important enough to play with it and enjoy the benefit, but the game wants you in there parrying. And I love the startup time on the parry. It is harder but feels great when you get them. Now the perfect dodge, you do with normal parry timing. Been doing that since sf3. They went with something different and imo its worked out.

Top Bottom