• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow plays Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charamiwa

Banned
lol I always knew this attitude that "the only real way to play is in pro mode" would ruin some people's experience.

It's something you can definitely play without, but if you don't at least understand all the mechanics that are in the game in the first place, there is a lot of info you miss out on without the HUD.

Blow probably only played because fans kept bugging him about how parts of BotW reminded them of The Witness. Maybe that comparison makes him bitter. Who knows?

I'm sure people wanted him to get into the "look on the horizon for interesting stuff" approach too, like on the Plateau when you have to find the Shrines yourself from the tower. I'm sure some people thought this would appeal to him big time.

But he skipped the cutscenes and dialogue so...

Go to any Horizon thread and look for avatars from this thread or just look at post histories. I don't have the time to detective gaf this shit(I'm at work), or care enough really. You have a lot of the same people screaming bias a blow, praising BotW without acknowledging it's faults, then doing the same thing they accuse blow of doing in the Horizon thread (some flat out didn't even play the game). Seriously it's so bad you can see people in this thread joking about it.

Yikes, couldn't even get proof. Alright then...will take your word for it.

Gamers in general can be pretty damn terrible at games. I'm not even talking about Dark Souls type stuff, just game knowledge and picking up context clues and experimenting with controls etc.

Yup. I got a friend that's been playing games since he was a kid, and buys almost every new release, but he's beyond terrible at everything. He absolutely has to play Call of Duty on Easy otherwise he's not able to beat a single mission. He gave up on Dark Souls after a couple of hours because he thought he had to beat Asylum Demon the first time you encounter it, and simply kept throwing himself at it over and over and over, then called the game "stupid".

As for Blow, he just strikes me as that kind of person that hates everything that isn't his narrow interpretation of what video games should be about. Kind of like some filmmakers with movies.

Skipped around and had to stop at 1:45:00 ish when he continuously tried to set a bomb on a moving platform to blow up a wall instead of just throwing the bomb and blowing it up mid air.

How does the guy who created the witness act this dumb on puzzles?

Creating Puzzles =/= Solving Puzzles

Why are so many video game developers actually seemingly terrible at video games?

It's the same reason actors don't watch the shows they are in.

That and not every game is the same.

Being a developer does not automatically make you better than everyone at video games.

We have a different definition of traditional tutorials then. To me those are when the game basically throws you out of the game to explicitly teach you the actions, kind of like a fighting game's challenge mode. For example, look at Twilight Princess' intro. It's heavily criticized because it basically has a bunch of contrived tasks to do before you get to the Hyrule Field moment of the game opening up. Yet, this is still happening within the game's world and it's a part of the story, that's why even this would count as a non-traditional/creative way of teaching the player. Running errands for the villagers taught you about riding your horse, using various items, etc. Saving the kids basically got you a sneak peek of the usual Zelda gameplay. Since you do all of this in areas that are relevant to the story, it doesn't really feel too much as a tutorial section.
To me, a tutorial can absolutely take place in the game world. In Twilight Princess, you are frequently told what to do and how to do it ("press A to blah blah"). It's not that it's linear that makes it a tutorial. That said, I don't mind tutorials in general as long as they're well implemented (take one step at a time and let you actually perform that step rather than a massive infodump). The village opening in Twilight Princess is probably my favorite part of the game simply because I enjoyed the chill atmosphere. (Not so much a fan of the first temple, though.)

I feel bigger series with a lot of entries have it way too hard on that aspect. You got people overblowing Skyward's Sword's intro yet they praise Red Steel 2 as a game. Sure, it had suprisingly good controls and was overall impressive since it was a sequel to a bad launch title, yet that game was insufferably explicit during all of the game. I got halfway through it yet I always thought I was in a tutorial because you always had action prompts or interactable objects flashing. Even when you unlock skills you're forced of testing them on a dummy instead if trying them out against enemies. You don't hear too much of those complaints when they are about games that are "underdogs", but you will hear about them forever for renowned series
It's quite possible to enjoy something while not enjoying all aspects of it. I generally hate RPGs due to combat, leveling and inventory management but I like Fragile Dreams. I really enjoyed its atmosphere. I still disliked the RPG aspects of it.

To some degree, though, I think this is true. I'm not sure whether it's that people are more willing to stick up for the "underdogs" or simply that a tutorial feels more unnecessary and boring when you already know everything it's telling you. And if the game is part of a franchise and you've played the previous entries, then you probably already do know.

For example, I'm playing Fatal Frame right now and honestly would have liked there to be more of a tutorial (there are some pretty important things it never really explains). But if I go on to play Fatal Frame 2, I might be annoyed with the tutorial even though I wanted a more elaborate one in the first, because I don't need it anymore (assuming it operates similarly to its predecessor).

In Zelda I think this might be the case even more so since they seem to get more and more tutorially (until BotW). Like how they now show you what a rupee is every time you reboot the console.

Does he have other games that he's streamed that aren't his? I'd love to see how he plays other games. I'm sure they're full of more cringe worthy gameplay.
Mostly programming but he has a few others, like Prey and Horizon: Zero Dawn.

RedFury

I am sorry, but you are the one sounding like that can't take criticism calling people that disagree with him man babies.
Lol what are you talking about? I've been the one arguing for people to challenge their own perceptions through scrutiny. The comment was about valid CRITCISM, NOT opinion. Seriously read any of my previous posts I won't bother restating why I already have.
Edit: I wasn't even talking about this game in particular when I said that either. I was talking about any individual that won't accept criticism no matter what game your talking about. You act like I have a personal investmet in this and I really don't. I call it like I see it and it's not the game that's being talked about that bothers me. It's the dishonesty I see in the people in this (and others) thread that bothers me. I love listening to others and trying to understand why they think or feel like they do. So yes it's annoying when I'm reaching you 3/4 of the way and you won't even be honest with me to meet me the rest of the way.

Makai

If Jon Blow is bad at solving puzzle games, how did he beat Stephen's Sausage Roll? I doubt most of you could get past the first world.

Plum

Lol what are you talking about? I've been the one arguing for people to challenge their own perceptions through scrutiny. The comment was about valid CRITCISM, NOT opinion. Seriously read any of my previous posts I won't bother restating why I already have.
Edit: I wasn't even talking about this game in particular when I said that either. I was talking about any individual that won't accept criticism no matter what game tour talking about. You act like I have a personal investmet in this and I really don't. I call it like I see it and it's not the game that's being talked about that bothers me. It's the dishonesty I see in the people in the thread that bothers me.

Why must we just accept any criticism at face value even if the person giving it is clearly not the person for the job?

jviggy43

I knew this would be obnoxious the second he spent 10 minutes setting this up and bitching about the switch set up with his stream. Try doing this before the stream.

also "I haven't played the game but some people say its amazing and I don't believe it and I don't know why people like it so much".

Like are you fucking serious?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
After creating a puzzle that involves (spoiler for The Witness)
waiting 50+ min for a video to finish in order to finish a puzzle
I don't entirely trust Jonathan Blow's opinions on good game design.

RedFury

Why must we just accept any criticism at face value even if the person giving it is clearly not the person for the job?
When it comes to shrines and tower puzzles I sure would like to hear his thought on the matter. That my point I'm not saying you have to agree with the guy on everything. Listen to what he says and think critically about his thought and experiences on the matter and compare them to your own. Like I said I don't care what he has to say about the open world or combat but he has valid criticism about the puzzles and some of the abilities that are a part of that as well. Like is their really no way to rotate a magnetized item? You should be fighting the puzzle not the controls. It went from trying to put a piece in place to fighting controls and player movement to get it to work.

Edit: I wasn't even talking about this game in particular when I said that either. I was talking about any individual that won't accept criticism no matter what game your talking about. You act like I have a personal investmet in this and I really don't. I call it like I see it and it's not the game that's being talked about that bothers me. It's the dishonesty I see in the people in this (and others) thread that bothers me. I love listening to others and trying to understand why they think or feel like they do. So yes it's annoying when I'm reaching you 3/4 of the way and you won't even be honest with me to meet me the rest of the way.

I went through your posts in this thread. You never really defend what Blow says, you just complain about other people critiquing the video.

JackDT

I very much disagree with Mr Blow here (and he blundered past some things he might liked by making a bunch of assumptions) but someone not liking a game doesn't warrant a thread IMO. And also he's clearly just chilling and venting after a work day.

Complaining about Nintendo UI is fun -- I'm with him there.

After creating a puzzle that involves (spoiler for The Witness)
waiting 50+ min for a video to finish in order to finish a puzzle
I don't entirely trust Jonathan Blow's opinions on good game design.

I think that's unfair, because, IIRC, the whole puzzle itself is a
commentary on 100% stuff against your better interest
... and I listened to every second of it. I just find it odd that the Witness/Zelda share so many design concepts (the Koroks/
Environmental Puzzles
are basically discovered in the exact same way; being able to go everywhere from the get-go with the exception of a couple of locks based on knowledge or completing other areas; little to no handholding) and he seems so set on hating the game without even giving it a chance. From the tweets and the quotes people are posting there doesn't seem to be any other explanation other than "arrogance/stubborness", and that bites :/

I have so little respect for Johnathon Blow that this doesn't surprise me.

The Witness was the most mean-spirited mess of a game, created by an ego-driven madman. I wouldn't trust anything he has to say when it comes to a player's best interests.

Joseph Anderson did a great video on The Witness and the contradictions within it and what Johnathon said about it before launch. It really didn't come off as a game made with good intentions.

I very much disagree with Mr Blow here (and he blundered past some things he might liked by making a bunch of assumptions) but someone not liking a game doesn't warrant a thread IMO. And also he's clearly just chilling and venting after a work day.

Complaining about Nintendo UI is fun -- I'm with him there.
Almost anything can warrant a thread. This isn't some random guy playing and criticizing Breath of the Wild. This is a dude who's made two incredibly popular puzzle games and has given a ton of presentations regarding video game development.

Hell, Phil Fish is known for one game and one game only. If he did anything related to video games, it would get posted here.

The Witness was the most mean-spirited mess of a game, created by an ego-driven madman. I wouldn't trust anything he has to say when it comes to a player's best interests.

Joseph Anderson did a great video on The Witness and the contradictions within it and what Johnathon said about it before launch. It really didn't come off as a game made with good intentions.
Eww, YouTube video with clickbait title that he almost immediately contradicts. Only watched a bit of it, but he seemed to actually really like the game. Got to where he compares it to Dark Souls, and he doesn't seem to get that it's kind of trying to be a Metroidvania type game, but instead of progression being locked behind abilities like double jump, it's locked behind your ability to solve a certain type of puzzle.

Plum

When it comes to shrines and tower puzzles I sure would like to hear his thought on the matter. That my point I'm not saying you have to agree with the guy on everything. Listen to what he says and think critically about his thought and experiences on the matter and compare them to your own. Like I said I don't care what he has to say about the open world or combat but he has valid criticism about the puzzles and some of the abilities that are a part of that as well. Like is their really no way to rotate a magnetized item? You should be fighting the puzzle not the controls. It went from trying to put a piece in place to fighting controls and player movement to get it to work.

Why should I think critically about his thoughts when, as evidenced many times in the thread, his thoughts are clouded with bias and poor skill? Why can't you practice what you preach and see what those supposed man babies who "call Horizon shit," have to say? The idea that you have to debate and analyse every piece of criticism no matter how shoddy, bias-driven and lacking in skill is an idea I can't get behind.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Before he started playing:

"Some people say this game is amazing. I don't tend to believe that kind of thing. From what I've seen of the game I can't tell why people like it so much, except that maybe, it's got the magical Nintendo 20 points score boost or something."

I have nothing against Jonathan but I cannot take someone's opinion seriously when he goes in with this kind of attitude.
I'm not really surprised he has this attitude. I liked Braid and have heard good things about The Witness, but he himself has a very dismissive attitude towards anything that he didn't make himself.

He's always struck me with this "This is probably liked by other people, but I prefer doing it ~my way~. ~I~ would have done it this way instead." vibe. Dude is obviously intelligent, but he always comes across as pretty self-absorbed and seemingly dismissive or condescending about anything that doesn't agree with his exact views.

nynt9

Man this thread is really bringing out some deep salt. The Witness was a great game with brilliant design and even though I like JA, I disagree with him there. And that's not what he says anyway. He even recommends the game despite the title of the video.

Regardless, TW is one of the best puzzle games of all time and thankfully most who played it seem to think along those lines.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Jonathan Blow-back(heyoo). I'm going to use this opportunity to say that Stephen's Sausage Rolls was the best puzzle game of 2016. Makes The Witness seem lazy in comparison.

Plum

I think that's unfair, because, IIRC, the whole puzzle itself is a
commentary on 100% stuff against your better interest
... and I listened to every second of it. I just find it odd that the Witness/Zelda share so many design concepts (the Koroks/
Environmental Puzzles
are basically discovered in the exact same way; being able to go everywhere from the get-go with the exception of a couple of locks based on knowledge or completing other areas; little to no handholding) and he seems so set on hating the game without even giving it a chance. From the tweets and the quotes people are posting there doesn't seem to be any other explanation other than "arrogance/stubborness", and that bites :/

NieR Automata spoilers (it's relevant!):

NieR has a similar commentary on the folly of 100% completion in that you can literally buy trophies and, if you want to help people get the ending, you have to delete your save. The former is entirely optional and the latter is entirely positive. The Witness' commentary on the same idea just comes off as mean-spirited which I personally hate to see in art.

Jonathan Blow-back(heyoo). I'm going to use this opportunity to say that Stephen's Sausage Rolls was the best puzzle game of 2016. Makes The Witness seem lazy in comparison.
Dunno how one good puzzle game can make another good puzzle game look lazy. They're both good games without one being bad.

This thread is fucking unreal.

Charamiwa

Banned
NieR Automata spoilers (it's relevant!):

NieR has a similar commentary on the folly of 100% completion in that you can literally buy trophies and, if you want to help people get the ending, you have to delete your save. The former is entirely optional and the latter is entirely positive. The Witness' commentary on the same idea just comes off as mean-spirited which I personally hate to see in art.

Hell even Zelda does it
with the golden poop you get from gathering the 900 seeds

RedFury

I went through your posts in this thread. You never really defend what Blow says, you just complain about other people critiquing the video.

Why should I think critically about his thoughts when, as evidenced many times in the thread, his thoughts are clouded with bias and poor skill? Why can't you practice what you preach and see what those supposed man babies who "call Horizon shit," have to say? The idea that you have to debate and analyse every piece of criticism no matter how shoddy, bias-driven and lacking in skill is an idea I can't get behind.
Sorry guys had a large post addressing you both, then my phone died and erased it. Going to sit down to have dinner with the wife so I'll leave you guys with this. The fact that you can sit here and communicate about this without souding like the others is clear that I was not speaking to you when I said man babies if it offended you. It was clearly not meant for you. I appreciate being able to have this conversation, it's rare with all the passion in here.

Cuburt

This playthrough is unintentionally hilarious

'Ugh this game keeps telling me what to do.'

*Skips dialogue telling him what to do*

*Takes some random persons' direction that he should turn on Pro mode even though he has no idea why he would or wouldn't need it for*

*Wanders around wondering what he's supposed to do*

*Complains it's a flaw of the game design since it's an option he has to turn it off*

I think he's being intentionally obtuse. He seems to ignore the chat when it's actually trying to help him.

Arttemis

This guy is such an idiot. He sits there breaking boxes with his weapons and picking up the items they drop... stating how boring it is to break boxes and pick up items... but continues to do it anyway while talking about how "low quality" the game design is.

Fuck, this is ridiculous. I'm listening to the audio expecting to get even a glimpse of quality game creation insight, but all I hear is hypocritical criticism of an idiot.

Plum

Sorry guys had a large post addressing you both, then my phone died and erased it. Going to sit down to have dinner with the wife so I'll leave you guys with this. The fact that you can sit here and communicate about this without souding like the others is clear that I was not speaking to you when I said man babies if it offended you. It was clearly not meant for you. I appreciate being able to have this conversation, it's rare with all the passion in here.

To be honest when you start throwing around words like man baby, accusations of hypocritical trolling whilst ignoring posts like this:

This thread is fucking unreal.

It's hard to see your arguments as leading to a lot of critical thought from others

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom