• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stephen King's IT |OT| He thrusts his fists and then he posts (Unmarked spoilers)

HiiiLife

Came back from my second viewing and yep. That painted lady isn't creepy at all. Probably one of my few complaints, along with the CGI looking dodgy at times.

Jawmuncher

I do want to say that I really liked the rolling eyes thing it had going. It never made a big deal about it but it was interesting to catch.

Sean

Banned
Absolutely loved the movie.

The cast was so great here that it's going to be a bummer not having them around in the sequel. Well, I guess they could do kid flashbacks or something, but I don't know what those would possibly be.

Cranster

Banned
I enjoyed it, the CGI could have been a bit better but that is simply a nitpick. I am wondering what happened to Belch and Vic though. Did Henry kill them off screen or something? It made the showdown with Henry seem anti-climatic!

So what did you guys think about the kids literally floating in pennywise's lair?

I thought that was pretty lame. I don't mind how they changed the encounter from the book overall though. But really, actually floating? lol

My initial reaction was to eye roll the very literal interpretation of the clown talking about kids floating. But kind of know what IT is, I feel like it wasn't that big of a leap in ability of what IT can actually do and it probably serves some new story mechanic.

And now it actually makes sense that Pennywise says float so much lol

Dead bodies floating in the sewer water. Don't feel bad though, because I didn't put two and two together either and just read a reddit comment on IT awhile back that explained it.

rackham

Banned
10/10 movie. Loved it. I liked the original series. I'm so fucking happy that I was excited for a movie I loved. The kids were hilarious. I enjoyed the changes. Can't wait for chapter 2. It was so fucking good!
Edit. Only slight problem I had was at the end where Mike was the only who wasn't able to hurt IT. He kept getting thrown around. At least he fucked up that bully though

FaintDeftone

Loved the film. Pretty much everything I hoped for.

That garage scene is going to go down in history as one of the best horror scenes of all-time. That shit was nuts!

As someone who considers the book as one of my favorites, but hasn't read all the way through it in more than a decade, I loved this. Thought it totally nailed the overall vibe and aesthetic of the book, and did a good job of weaving the terror and humor, which is tough to do.

They definitely captured Stephen King's style and tropes for sure. Tim Curry's Pennywise scarred me on clowns as a small kid, but if I saw this as an impressionable youth, it would obliterate me.

I'm excited for the second part, even though I think that the second half/adult section of the book is weaker overall. Curious to see how they execute it, and if they decide to intercut 1989 flashbacks with the modern day adults it might be a bit strange since this first part didn't do that.

trikster40

Did anyone else notice the picture of Tim Curry as Pennywise in the room with all the clowns in the haunted house? I'm pretty sure that was him.

Great flick. The obvious CG took it down a notch though. When It opens his mouth to feed it just looks cartoonish and not creepy and believable especially compared to the mini series design.

anigif_sub-buzz-12784-1491234127-6.gif

In terms of the story telling it was great. Loved the ending.
The thing is you never see Curry IT eating anyone. He just shows his sharp teeth and it either cuts away or he disappears. And you can tell Curry was struggling to act with those teeth.

rackham

Banned
As someone who considers the book as one of my favorites, but hasn't read all the way through it in more than a decade, I loved this. Thought it totally nailed the overall vibe and aesthetic of the book, and did a good job of weaving the terror and humor, which is tough to do.

They definitely captured Stephen King's style and tropes for sure. Tim Curry's Pennywise scarred me on clowns as a small kid, but if I saw this as an impressionable youth, it would obliterate me.

I'm excited for the second part, even though I think that the second half/adult section of the book is weaker overall. Curious to see how they execute it, and if they decide to intercut 1989 flashbacks with the modern day adults it might be a bit strange since this first part didn't do that.

Considering how different they made it for the kids part, I think they can do the adult one easier. We can expect a few of the kids to die.

Speaking of the kids, I adored all of them in this movie. Great actors. All genuinely made me laugh and I will be sad to see anything happen to them in part 2.

holygeesus

Banned
I loved it. I didn't have any issues with the CGI - there is one lovely effect late on where Pennywise transitions back to his clown form that was really well done.

Felt more like a horror adventure flick to me, almost Poltergeist in tone. I think the only criticism I would have, is the guy playing Will doesn't really have enough acting chops to present himself as the genuine leader of the group. In the original Jonathan Brandis was clearly the stand-out whereas the remake is more of an ensemble group effort, with the guy from Stranger Things probably being the most memorable (Richie)

Considering how different they made it for the kids part, I think they can do the adult one easier. We can expect a few of the kids to die.

Speaking of the kids, I adored all of them in this movie. Great actors. All genuinely made me laugh and I will be sad to see anything happen to them in part 2.

Yeah I guess the creative liberties they took with this and them working out well could lead to the adult section being well executed no matter what.

I thought all of the casting was good actually, from the main cast, to all the smaller parts.

Snaku

Banned
This movie was fucking magical. The losers were fantastic and had great chemistry. Ben and Richie continue to be the best characters even in this version. Pennywise was scene stealing, in much the same way Heath Ledger's Joker was. Totally nailed the vibe of the book, and took me back to my childhood in the 80s. It felt so authentic to me. Definitely gonna see this multiple times in theaters, and Chapter Two is now my most anticipated film.

HiiiLife

Great flick. The obvious CG took it down a notch though. When It opens his mouth to feed it just looks cartoonish and not creepy and believable especially compared to the mini series design.

anigif_sub-buzz-12784-1491234127-6.gif

In terms of the story telling it was great. Loved the ending.

Yeah this is one of the cases where I was referring to dodgy CGI. Didn't think it looked that great, honestly. As fucked up Georgie's arm scene was I was hoping it'd look a little better. The house is still the best part though. With the fridge scene, clown room and the three door all being back to back to back. So good.

That was pretty great. There was something off though, I can't put my finger on it right now though, but something dragged it down. The humor was almost spotless. It was really clever, more than it had any right to be. It kept surprising me, again and again. I do want to watch it again, there was symbology that I know I didn't catch.

I will say this though, watching this in a full theater was a fantastic experience. Screaming from the crowd in the basement, cheering when Bev impaled Pennywise. It was genuinely fun to see others reactions, to the point where I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much alone. The guy next was upset over the crowd reactions, and that annoyed me more. Why come on the Friday night it opens, and then get mad about a full theater?

I can't at all agree with the notion that Curry's clunky-ass prosthetic glued to his mouth looks better than the CG used on Skarsgard.

Further: "I noticed the CG" is quickly becoming one of the most lazy, weightless criticisms available.

The CGI isn't all that great but I thought the movie did a good job masking it in the dark and with quick cuts. Not once was I put off by it. The second you start to see the effect ware off it cuts to something else.

scoobs

Thought it was a really well made movie. Beautiful cinematography, good acting, just not very scary

HiiiLife

Does pennywise have a lazy eye or not? I still couldn't tell my second time around.

Also what was Ben hiding in his closet? I'm assuming a new kids shirt but the movement happens so quick I still didn't catch it.

Hopefully I'll see it on my third viewing tomorrow.

Just got back from the screening and I really liked it. The characters were the best part. I've never read the book or watched the old version. How faithful was this to the book?

I too thought that the CGI was one of the weakest aspects, even though overall it was well done. If they would have been able to really push closer to more photorealistic/higher quality, it would have been 100% on point. Overall the CGI wasn't terrible, but there were some things that just pick at the back of my brain.

Something about it is almost reminiscent to the CGI of Men In Black, as weird as that may sound. Maybe it's the clearly obvious 'alien' design work/animation, but I'm not sure. I'm not saying that this movie's CGI looks as outdated as a 20 year old movie, but it has this level of similarity. Men In Black is one of my favorite movies btw, so it's not necessarily a terrible criticism either lol.

Does pennywise have a lazy eye or not? I still couldn't tell my second time around.

Also what was Ben hiding in his closet? I'm assuming a new kids shirt but the movement happens so quick I still didn't catch it.

Hopefully I'll see it on my third viewing tomorrow.
Nah, Bill's eyes just naturally point out to the sides a bit more than normal and I think the makeup and effects enhanced it.

HiiiLife

I was surprised by how many people I've talked to didn't notice the lady in the library constantly getting closer and smiling when he was browsing the pictures. Fucking creepy. Didn't really put two and two together with the head in the tree, and the headless kid chasing him until i rewatched it today.

The Felo

Neo Member
Kudos for showing a half naked girl and not sexualizing her or having the camera perv on her.

Watched the movie by myself in a packed theater. Everytime Bev would come on screen during that scene the person sitting next to me (looked like a middle aged guy) would make a "hmph" or "mmmmm" sound. Shit was creeping me out more than the movie itself.

HiiiLife

What was Pennywise muttering before he fell into the well?

I'd like to know this as well. I thought I read somewhere it was a poem from one of the kids?????

Really curious as to how they're gonna top the grown up scene in the library.

If they can recapture Currys laugh...WAHA WAHA WAHA.

HiiiLife

Watched the movie by myself in a packed theater. Everytime Bev would come on screen during that scene the person sitting next to me (looked like a middle aged guy) would make a "hmph" or "mmmmm" sound. Shit was creeping me out more than the movie itself.

Did he look like Clark Kent?

Meffer

To people saying the creepy painting wasn't that scary, it was scary to him. He likely saw that painting all the time at a young age since his father is the rabbi.

Boke1879

I was surprised by how many people I've talked to didn't notice the lady in the library constantly getting closer and smiling when he was browsing the pictures. Fucking creepy. Didn't really put two and two together with the head in the tree, and the headless kid chasing him until i rewatched it today.

You noticed that shit too right?! She was watching him the whole time smiling and then went right back to doing what she was doing when he got up.

I just got out of my showing and I'll post more about what I thought of it when I get home.

HiiiLife

To people saying the creepy painting wasn't that scary, it was scary to him. He likely saw that painting all the time at a young age since his father is the rabbi.

Well yeah. I don't find clowns creepy at all, but pennywise had me second guessing myself when he was dancing towards Eddie after chiropracticing himself out the fridge.

The best part about the painted lady was the flute ominously playing, then they revealed her.

Alsoooo...was it just me or pennywise had wolf hands when he was approaching the kids in the house???? But that's richies fear(?) right...so. Guess it wouldn't make sense.

Boke1879

Well yeah. I don't find clowns creepy at all, but pennywise had me second guessing myself when he was dancing towards Eddie after chiropracticing himself out the fridge.

The best part about the painted lady was the flute ominously playing, then they revealed her.

Alsoooo...was it just me or pennywise had wolf hands when he was approaching the kids in the house???? But that's richies fear(?) right...so. Guess it wouldn't make sense.

Was that when he had the spear in his head?

To me that was his true form partially revealing itself since he was hurt.

I'd like to know this as well. I thought I read somewhere it was a poem from one of the kids?????

Really curious as to how they're gonna top the grown up scene in the library.

If they can recapture Currys laugh...WAHA WAHA WAHA.

I thought it was what Georgie was reciting, at the beginning, as he chased the boat. It was hard to hear both times. Maybe I'm misremembering though.

Top Bottom