• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

D2 PvE is like walking through a "room full of balloons with a nail gun"

Bold One

Literally Did all heroics by myself today for the milestone reward on titan. Not hard at all.

I'm guessing you skew toward the more hardcore Destiny player on the spectrum?

Not everyone will have the time to grind for high-level gear you have to be able to do what you can do - a challenge for you will not be universal aggregate.

I'm not saying the game ain't easy - I'm saying the majority of the PvE aspect is there to generate loot.

Man, I remember D1 getting blasted for having bullet-sponge enemies....lose-lose with some people

Makes me sad to read that, really reconsidering if I should get this on PC or not. Liked D1 for what it was but chances to PvP and easy mode campaign kind of sours it. I remember some missions on D1 campaign were pretty insane, vanilla game had those, taken king had few and rise of iron also.

I know campaign isn't the main point, it wasn't in D1 but still. Also concept of timed nightfalls sound so bad it's not even funny. I hate anything that is timed, it's just bad game design.

Kyoufu

Could be a factor.
Anecdotally, I'm waiting for it.

Though, I'm sure they would have forecasted the game with that split release in mind.

I dunno man. I wouldn't be surprised if they thought up a different scenario, like PC players double dipping on console as well due to impatience.

Horp

I don't think you know what objectively means, bro.

Ok, let me break it down for you even further.
Size, grandness, in this context refers to the normal things you would mean when talking about games. Actual map size in terms of m^2, number of unique -types- of locations, number of items, number of different enemies, number of skills, number of build variations, number of gameplay modes, number of players that can play in a single instance.
These are objective aspects.
And in those aspects, Destiny isn't grand. It isn't small by any means, but there are many, many games out there that are grander in every aspect.
THAT's what I mean by Destiny not being as grand as some (many, especially bungie themselves) make it out to be, objectively.

Maybe its the the way the guns look, how they sound when they shoot, how responsive they are, the sound of bullets hitting the enemies, the different variety of guns in the game, how responsive melee and jump mechanics are, sub class weapons and skills, the crit sounds when you kill something and the way shit just explodes. It is a VERY fluid game. Theres a ton more reasons, but this topic isn't about that. Just like you have no interest in Destiny, I have no interest in any of those games you listed in your list because i find them all dull.
And this, I just dont get.
Responsive? What makes the guns more responsive than CoD, BF or Doom?
Sounds? The sound design in the game isn't bad, but I can't see how it's anything special. Listen to BF1 to hear some truly stellar gun sounds.
Melee and jump mechanics are responsive? Have you tried Warframe (which is a comparable game in many aspects)? Also, how can you feel that the jump mechanics are responsive; it's like super floaty. And the melee mechanics; i mean how responsive can they be: You click a button and bang you attack, just like any other shooter. Then we have super charged modes but those are just chaos and half computer controlled.
Sub class weapons and skills; well, I don't think I've ever heard someone praise destiny for having lots of class depth and variations. I've even seen people on this very board claim that the lack of variation is a feature, and important to the game.

Crit sounds, well you're back to sounds again. And one particular sounds, at that. And seriously, sounds can be nice, but when you list: sounds in general, a single particular sound, and "melee mechanics" as 3/6 core reasons why gunplay is super awesome... well that just says it all to me.

Ok, we have to clarify one thing quickly here:
D2, in a gaming context, is, and will always be, Diablo 2. Go find another acronym for your newfangled sci-fi pseudo-MMO.
Preach. D2 is D2. Nothing else.

Durante

D2, in a gaming context, is, and will always be, Diablo 2. Go find another acronym for your newfangled sci-fi pseudo-MMO.

KillLaCam

Banned
Yeah I like the game. But it feels easier than D1, and I thought D1 was really easy most of the time. Like I barely die in PvE unless I'm doing something dumb or get knocked into a wall really hard.

Makikou

Posts and people like this just makes me want to abbreviate Destiny 2 into D2 even more.

SPCTRE

Running through the campaign the first time - underleveleld for the most part - had quite a few spots I would consider pretty challenging. The second time around with my alt was a breeze, which is only natural.

Overall, Destiny 2 story content is a lot friendlier that most of Destiny (I rememeber spots in The Dark Below and in The Taken King that were quite challenging solo), but I didn't find it boring/too easy overall.

Can't say I had this issue, OP.

GAF arguments about Destiny are basically the following exchange ad infinitude:

"Destiny is a bad game! Because <insert superfluous argument heard second hand>"

"No, Destiny is a good game, but I won't actually articulate why!"

Quick sidebar, contrasting w/ 'bullet sponge' complaints in Destiny 1 isn't fair. Bullet sponge isn't difficulty, it's tedium. Bungie made Legendary for the Halo campaigns so they know this.

But honestly, a shiny conveyor belt towards actually challenging end-game content? It's an MMO, what did people expect? Like, it still doesn't want to say it is, as such, but it's an MMO throughout almost all levels of its design. People wanting a highly challenging campaign aren't just playing the wrong game, they're in the wrong genre.

MaxiLive

I came here for this:

32-D2-1.jpg

Shame about the difficulty not being well balanced, I wonder when playtesting if Bungie saw new comers to the game finding it a fair fight but as a lot of players are coming from 50 hours plus with D1 they know how to min/max, aim, use abilities, cheese the AI, movement and use AI los to their advantage.

Hopefully it is something they can implement in patches to balance out the difficulty for the mid-late game.

SlickVic

Guess I'm just bad at games, but the campaign I've played so far up to the 'Fury' mission has felt just right in terms of difficulty. It's not that I'm dying a lot, but I spend a lot of the missions with the health bar in the red trying to stave off death, especially with any large group of enemies attacking. I think in the boss battle in the last story mission I played, I hit the danger zone of the health bar on at least 6 different occasions, but managed to hang in there and chip away at the boss until it finally went down. I'm usually either at the recommended light level for the mission, if not a bit higher.

To me, the game strikes a good balance of instilling that 'fear of death' seeing the health bar drop, but also not being overtly difficult that I'm dying countless times on the same encounter and having to restart them from the beginning.

120v

i sort of don't care in regards to non-endgame. especially since "Destiny 2 Vanilla" will be but a fleeting memory soon.

Ramirez

Quick sidebar, contrasting w/ 'bullet sponge' complaints in Destiny 1 isn't fair. Bullet sponge isn't difficulty, it's tedium. Bungie made Legendary for the Halo campaigns so they know this.

But honestly, a shiny conveyor belt towards actually challenging end-game content? It's an MMO, what did people expect? Like, it still doesn't want to say it is, as such, but it's an MMO throughout almost all levels of its design. People wanting a highly challenging campaign aren't just playing the wrong game, they're in the wrong genre.

The prestige nightfalls are pretty comparable to Legendary difficulty when it comes to the trash mobs actually.

People complain about it being too easy, but if you go to the OT right now, it's endless bitching about how hard the normal NF is this week.

People have no fucking clue what they want, TBH.

And my God, Diablo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, but who is discussing it in the year 2017? It's obvious this is a Destiny thread, it just released two weeks ago.

And this, I just dont get.
Responsive? What makes the guns more responsive than CoD, BF or Doom?
Sounds? The sound design in the game isn't bad, but I can't see how it's anything special. Listen to BF1 to hear some truly stellar gun sounds.
Melee and jump mechanics are responsive? Have you tried Warframe (which is a comparable game in many aspects)? Also, how can you feel that the jump mechanics are responsive; it's like super floaty. And the melee mechanics; i mean how responsive can they be: You click a button and bang you attack, just like any other shooter. Then we have super charged modes but those are just chaos and half computer controlled.
Sub class weapons and skills; well, I don't think I've ever heard someone praise destiny for having lots of class depth and variations. I've even seen people on this very board claim that the lack of variation is a feature, and important to the game.

Crit sounds, well you're back to sounds again. And one particular sounds, at that. And seriously, sounds can be nice, but when you list: sounds in general, a single particular sound, and "melee mechanics" as 3/6 core reasons why gunplay is super awesome... well that just says it all to me.

You keep clinging to this asking for someone to dissect their reasoning to absurd amounts. The fucking game feels good to people. Why is that so hard to believe? You think they are just saying that cause they are fanboys? I have only played the PC beta and it felt much more satisfying than most shooters especially Warframe and Borderlands both of which I've put hundreds of hours into eventhough I consider both of those game's gunplay to be bad. Why do I think Des2 feels good when those others don't? Because it's much more satisfying to shoot shit.

SPCTRE

i sort of don't care in regards to non-endgame. especially since "Destiny 2 Vanilla" will be but a fleeting memory soon.
I understand the sentiment, but "soon" seems like an overstatement to me, it's not like the next DLC will be out in two weeks

Horp

You keep clinging to this asking for someone to dissect their reasoning to absurd amounts. The fucking game feels good to people. Why is that so hard to believe? You think they are just saying that cause they are fanboys? I have only played the PC beta and it felt much more satisfying than most shooters especially Warframe and Borderlands both of which I've put hundreds of hours into eventhough I consider both of those game's gunplay to be bad. Why do I think Des2 feels good when those others don't? Because it's much more satisfying to shoot shit.

Because to me, it IS hard to believe. And that's what my entire post was about. I wasn't saying "Destiny sucks". I also wasn't saying "No one likes Destiny". I also didn't say "Whoever likes Destiny is stupid".

I'm just saying that to me it is a mystery that people praise Destiny in so many aspects where I just can't see how it is anything special (in those aspects).

It's like... Imagine if you saw tons of posts on this site praising CoD for it's campaigns being open, or the original Doom for having a great story. Ok these are exaggerated, but honestly and not trolling: I just dont -get- why Destiny gets the praise it gets.

It feels like The Emperors New Clothes to me. Like everyone keeps saying it's awsome, but not really naming any reasons why; seemingly because it isn't really that awesome. It's just decent, and kind of fills a void on consoles. I'm disappointed though, because with the budgets and experience they have as a company, Destiny 2 shouldn't be just decent, it should be awesome. And if people didn't praise it like they do, maybe they'd try harder.

Because to me, it IS hard to believe. And that's what my entire post was about. I wasn't saying "Destiny sucks". I also wasn't saying "No one likes Destiny". I also didn't say "Whoever likes Destiny is stupid".

I'm just saying that to me it is a mystery that people praise Destiny in so many aspects where I just can't see how it is anything special (in those aspects).

It's like... Imagine if you saw tons of posts on this site praising CoD for it's campaigns being open, or the original Doom for having a great story. Ok these are exaggerated, but honestly and not trolling: I just dont -get- why Destiny gets the praise it gets.

It feels like The Emperors New Clothes to me. Like everyone keeps saying it's awsome, but not really naming any reasons why; seemingly because it isn't really that awesome. It's just decent, and kind of fills a void on consoles. I'm disappointed though, because with the budgets and experience they have as a company, Destiny 2 shouldn't be just decent, it should be awesome. And if people didn't praise it like they do, maybe they'd try harder.

I'm guessing loot, co op and gameplay that most people find fun? Borderlands 2 hasn't had new content in years and still maintains a decent playerbase on Steam. It's honestly just the sum of it's parts if I had to guess. Not sure why people would put three years into a game and call it awesome if they didn't believe it. Destiny has always seemed like a Divisive franchise and still is. Some people just can't seem to believe people enjoy the game.

Again Destiny 2 is being hosted on BNet for PC, y'know, the client that has the Diablo franchise on it? Wait until an eventual D2 remaster comes out and we all gonna get confused if D2 is D2 or if D2 is D2.

We're all gaming enthusiasts here, D2 = Diablo 2 you damned heretics.

E-flux

Weren't you claiming that destiny is not a good game objectively? Or was it some other guy. Also when it comes to COD there are more good campaigns tHan bad ones. In Destiny the gunplay is just so satisfying, from the sounds and animations of enemies souls popping out of their heads is like popcorn for the soul, the little bit of build customization is just icing on the cake.

Horp

Weren't you claiming that destiny is not a good game objectively? Or was it some other guy. Also when it comes to COD there are more good campaigns tHan bad ones. In Destiny the gunplay is just so satisfying, from the sounds and animations of enemies souls popping out of their heads is like popcorn for the soul, the little bit of build customization is just icing on the cake.

No I did not claim that.
Regarding CoD, read my statement again. It wasn't about them being good or not.

Once again we're back to "just so satisfying". For us that can't feel that, it doesn't make any sense. I mean, I think the gunplay in Doom 2016 is super satifying, but I can also list a bunch of reasons why. And it's not sounds; I mean actual gamepay, which I think is the main point when talking about gunPLAY.

The game really looks beautiful, sounds great, etc. But the enemies are basically free of intelligence and the game is so easy it feels like playing Halo on lower than normal mode.

I'm really surprised there's no "heroic" mode for the story content given how bungie used to push heroic in halo as "the way it's meant to be played," or the mode for fans.

It's one of the reasons I kind of bounced off the game after a few days of playing.

No I did not claim that.

Once again we're back to "just so satisfying". For us that can't feel that, it doesn't make any sense. I mean, I think the gunplay in Doom 2016 is super satifying, but I can also list a bunch of reasons why. And it's not sounds; I mean actual gamepay, which I think is the main point when talking about gunPLAY.

Do it. Not because I don't believe you but because I'm not good about putting into words why I think it feels so satisfying. Your example might help.

Campaign and adventures just feels like they don't want you to replay it once you hit end game which in a game already starved for content is a obvious mistake

I dunno. Maybe they will sell us heroic campaign mode and adventures as DLC

E-flux

No I did not claim that.

i know it was not about cod, and sounds are part of the recipe that makes for good gunplay, hell fucking eveything that interacts with shooting is part of it from movement to how your gun looks. And personally i love the movement in destiny where you spend probably as muvh time in the air as on the ground, given that you aren't playing a hunter.

Horp

Do it. Not because I don't believe you but because I'm not good about putting into words why I think it feels so satisfying. Your example might help.

Ok sure why not:

The guns are varied, and you have access to a big arsenal all the time (grows as game progresses)
This is fun because you have to mix up your tactics depending on both enemy type, area (where the encounter happens), how much ammo you have and finally because you want to do special challenges (needed to unlock upgrades).

The enemies have very varying tactics. Some rushes you, some climbs around the walls, some take cover, some fly. None of the enemies slowly strafe left/right while shooting in your general direction (like all Borderlands enemies and most Destiny enemies)

The game requires you to not only move around, you also HAVE to play vertically, especially on harder difficulties. The maps are structured in such a way that this is required; ammo/health is often above or below you, and the general traversal is just very vertical. Also, some enemies are much harder to engage from below than above.

The game has a difficulty slider that goes all the from "I'm a badass and can squish my enemies with my weapon of choice)" up to "you can almost never get hit and there is a sea of enemies". The gunplay is very different in these different difficulties. In the lower difficulty settings it's a power fantasy game where you can relish in the awesome music and gore, and be a total badass that rips demons apart with a wide arsenal. In the highest difficulty it's more like a bullet hell game in full 3D. Frantic music, always moving, you have to use every weapon and ability to their fullest potential.

The sounds / music are awesome. Not a key part of gunplay per se, but definitely helps the overall experience.

The game has a very nice progression curve; in the beginning you have a few measly weapons, and limited movement. As the game progresses, the gameplay evolves. More guns, more enemies, different areas. This point is not about gun variation (already listed that), it's about the progression. You want to keep going all the time because you know that the next weapon or enemy time will mix it up further.

Ramirez

Campaign and adventures just feels like they don't want you to replay it once you hit end game which in a game already starved for content is a obvious mistake

I dunno. Maybe they will sell us heroic campaign mode and adventures as DLC

You can replay both campaign missions through Ikora, and adventures through the planet NPCs after you beat them all. How are they trying to say don't replay whatever you want?

The more I read about Destiny 2 the more I'm glad I decided to wait a year (or more) to pick it up. I only recently started playing D1 The Collection and it's a relatively complete experience with a pretty good amount of content + 3 years of balancing vs the original release which was a barren wasteland by comparison. I can't help but think D2 will *eventually* be worth picking up...but probably not until they release a Legendary or Collection edition.

Syril

No I did not claim that.

For me personally, I feel that it does a good job giving you different options that are effective at different ranges while also designing enemies that work at most any range, which allows for a lot of variety in encounter designs. I like the flow of fighting that results from having moderately fast movement and super high jumping but having to slow down to fire and aim; since you can't fight and quickly reposition at the same time you end up shifting between attack and defense and it does a good job in not making fights feel like you're just doing the same thing for the entire duration. I'm not really a fan of bosses having an instant death radius with their melee attacks, but I like how the respawning minions in boss fights emphasizes a mix of short-term and long term threats. Not being able to see the motion tracker while aiming adds a risk to making a focused attack, reinforcing the attack and defense flow as you'll need to drop your aim to reassess the current threats, especially during boss fights, where oftentimes new enemy spawns aren't immediately apparent.

Horp

For me personally, I feel that it does a good job giving you different options that are effective at different ranges while also designing enemies that work at most any range, which allows for a lot of variety in encounter designs. I like the flow of fighting that results from having moderately fast movement and super high jumping but having to slow down to fire and aim; since you can't fight and quickly reposition at the same time you end up shifting between attack and defense and it does a good job in not making fights feel like you're just doing the same thing for the entire duration. I'm not really a fan of bosses having an instant death radius with their melee attacks, but I like how the respawning minions in boss fights emphasizes a mix of short-term and long term threats. Not being able to see the motion tracker while aiming adds a risk to making a focused attack, reinforcing the attack and defense flow as you'll need to drop your aim to reassess the current threats, especially during boss fights, where oftentimes new enemy spawns aren't immediately apparent.

Awesome, I'm getting some actual why:s!
Ok I see what you're coming from. Those ARE strengths. Far from being enough to live up to some of the claims you see on here (I've heard many posters say Destiny has the best gunplay ever, while others just say it's super-awesome).
It's decent. Your arguments make it sound decent, instead of just bad.
That's my opinon, of course.

Thanks for your post.

Wulfram

Unfortunately, that seems to be standard MMO design nowadays. The only way to get any sort of satisfying challenge in SP is to try to be consistently under-levelled, and often the game is even designed to not make that really possible either.

Top Bottom