• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Is this last gen?

I could write an essay on how much I HATE this abomination of a game, but I'm still trying to forget it even exists.

Sometimes I really wonder if this is actually worse than Homecoming and the Pachinko machine. Why is that?

1. Retconing the SH1 plot while trying to pass itself as a canon entry in the franchise.
2. The chase sequences are incredibly dull, frustrating and simply not scary.
3. The monster design is god awful.
4. Some of the puzzles wouldn't feel out of place in a Cooking Mama game. Seriously, the puzzles in this game are insulting to the player's intelligence.
5. The "normal" world is nothing more than a glorified walking simulator. The past Silent Hill games managed to keep constant tension thanks to both the normal world and the Otherworld posing a threat to the player.
6. The story is nothing more than a retelling of SH1 with SH2 styled twist slapped in the end for no reason.

Yes, it looks good (for its respective platform). So do Crysis 3 and The Order: 1886. In the end however, this is nothing more than one of the worst horror games I've ever played, relying on its cheap "psychological profile" gimmick.

Wowwwww. Okay. Opinions and all that, but I feel the need to address this post.

1. It sounds like you're basically saying Shattered Memories was meant to be a reboot of the franchise (retcon + canon), which it absolutely was not. Even at the time of its release, it was made pretty clear that this was simply a different take on an old story and nothing more (at least, I THOUGHT it was pretty clear). I don't really understand people who get upset by this stuff when it comes to remakes and things like this. The original game is and always will be there.

2. I'll give you that some of the earlier ones can get repetitive. They do some interesting stuff with the later ones though, I thought.

3. Yeah, pretty much. They could've probably done more with the monster design adjusting to the way you play the game. Still, if you compare every aspect to the earlier Team Silent games, you're going to be disappointed every time. There's just no way to stand up to those games, and once I realized that I was able to start enjoying the later games in the franchise.

4. I've never played a Cooking Mama game but I don't remember feeling insulted by any of the puzzles in SM. They relied a bit heavily on the motion control thing than sheer brainpower, but I thought they were mostly entertaining. Again, you've gotta stop comparing this to the older games.

5. "The past Silent Hill games..." yup, you already know what I'm going to say here.

6. You either don't remember SH2's twist or you don't remember SM's twist.

I'm not saying Shattered Memories was perfect, but it's certainly far from the mess you're making it out to be. I'm comfortable calling Homecoming out as garbage because it tried too hard to ape what Team Silent did and it showed (if any game ripped off SH2's twist, it was Homecoming).

I was able to enjoy Downpour and Shattered Memories because I realized Team Silent was never coming back. I've always thought the Silent Hill fanbase was one of the worst particularly because it seems like a lot of them were never able to accept that.

I like the game but its got a lot of problems.

you play silent hill 2 and you can probably tell yourself, if its your first time ever playing it, that its kind of jank to play. The enemies offer no challenge and the gameflow is just check every door til a door opens and then you get an item to open the next door (and maybe 4 or 5 times you don't and just get some ammo instead). But it still remains a tense experience due to a variety of factors, I'd say the art direction and cinematography (different use of different kinds of cameras in areas) are the biggest reasons for this. Once SH2 leaves the hospital its firing on all cylinders for the rest of the game and becomes an experience I think anyone can at least appreciate.

Shattered Memories kind of goes for the same thing, framing itself entirely as an adventure game where action scenes and exploration scenes are cleanly cleaved from each other. On paper its interesting, and the plot explores things that a lot of games don't really think about, dealing with themes of adolescence and the perils of young love (some of the ghosts were interesting, I knew people that actually played the choking game). I for one found that a huge breath of fresh air after titles that tried to expand on the cult (a thread of Silent Hill mythos that, outside of SH1 and its surrealist exploration of in The Room, was never very interesting) or tried to shamelessly ape Silent Hill 2. The psychobabble may not hold up to much scrutiny, but it's an interesting experience. The acting is pretty good, I remember thinking they got better acting than the much higher budgeted Heavy Rain that came around the same time did, even if sleezy harry sounds stupid as hell half the time~

But fuck, as a game it just feels like such a drag. the camera is always behind you, so there's no flair for cinematography to build up tension with (a key point in building up tension is purposefully obscuring game elements which is difficult with a locked RE4 camera), dopey puzzles, and the pacing that likes to chime in and tell you that "yes, this is just a video game" as often as it can.

All in all it has a lot of good ideas and is the most inspired of the post-team silent productions, but its still a tough recommendation for most. Glad you're enjoying it OP, its an acquired taste.

I'm going to probably replay it for the first time since launch in a few months, its a dead of winter game for me~

mantidor

I loved this game, the concept behind it is amazing and is rather sad no one followed it, it's already amazing and has the potential to be even more. I never thought the graphics were top of the console, but they are good. Prime 3 was better for me graphically speaking.

Do you know about any differences, graphically? Because i doubt these effects could be pulled off on the PSP. Then again, i would think about the same thing for the Wii.

The most notorious thing was transparencies, which makes certain scenes kind of dumb in the PSP version (Harry getting scared at a wall of ice, when in the original he gets scared of the monster behind it).

But is not the only thing missing, Wii version does look considerably better.

Some neat details that got to me and considering i havent played the game much it makes it more impressive:

- The Wii Remote vibrates and sounds just like a Cellphone. It gives a sense of authenticity not possible with any other controller.

- The Cellphone interface it's designed to mimic the Wii Remote.

- The cellphone has the real time clock of the Wii.

- The cellphone has the exact same battery bar as your Wii Remote.

- Hearing the click of the flashlight through the speaker.

- Reading ramdon phone numbers through out the city and making some phone/fun calls XD

-Opening drawers and turning objects by doing the real life gesture.

For the last one i don't know why they didn't use depth perception to open drawers. Elebits worked flawlesssly using that.

But have you ever seen a similar particle system on PS360? Or even PS4Xbone? The snow particles interact with the light source (flashlight) you can clearly see how they shine when you do and they even cast real time shadows. Each and every snow particle has it's own shadow. I haven't seen anything like this since then. It really makes the snowflakes look like they exist in the world.
Well let's not get carried away here. There are far more impressive particle systems in the X1/PS4 games thanks to GPGPU techniques. Particle casted shadows, physic properties and ilumination from light sources. Many games have those, maybe you havent noticed.

Don't want to ruin some of the appreciation but the real time shadow mapping is full of errors, mainly incorrect projections and physcially impossible shadows. But many people don't notice that so it's ok.

This was made by Climax, right?

I think they had a pretty great understanding of the Wii's hardware, as the Overlord game they made looked pretty great too.
That's a nice observation.

Overlord more distinctive visual effect was the abundance of shadows maps through the enivronments. While it didn't have the realtime shadow volumes the effect really set the game appart.

This was made by Climax, right?

I think they had a pretty great understanding of the Wii's hardware, as the Overlord game they made looked pretty great too.

Z3M0G

Off topic, but even though there are 2 actual "Silent Hill" films, I'd argue that the best Silent Hill movie is actually this:

096009756895.jpg

Projected textures for the win! Hell, I wish more games did this today. It's less taxing on the system than stencil shadows. Only thing it can't do are soft edges... which looks like crap even in highest setting of a lot of modern games.

I remember that this game impressed me when i played it. But somehow, it impressed me even more now, so much so that it made me want to do this thread. I will go as far as to say it is THE best looking game on the console, at least technically.
The most visually accomplished game of the Wii is Mario Galaxy. However, you did say technically speaking.

In thecnical sense Golden Eye is noteworthy. Very detailed character models, animation and texturing. The draw distance is extensive and it can handle a large amount of enemies on screen, there are quite complex scenes with lots of things going on at a given time.

Then you have Metroid Prime Corruption. It have some parts with great visual design, good texture work, bloom lighting and does a better job maintaining 60 fps than Shattered Memories.

There most be another one that scapes me now. i would' ve mentioned Dead Space but it's somewhat "cheating" since it's on rails, yet it does a nice job comunicating the incredible atmosphere of the first game in an outdated Wii XD

This was an interesting game for me. I distinctly remember hating it early on (mostly because of the motion controls) but the second half of the game nails the Silent Hill vibe and my overall memory of the game is really liking it. It just needs a bit of time to build up some steam.

GrayChild

Wowwwww. Okay. Opinions and all that, but I feel the need to address this post.

1. It sounds like you're basically saying Shattered Memories was meant to be a reboot of the franchise (retcon + canon), which it absolutely was not. Even at the time of its release, it was made pretty clear that this was simply a different take on an old story and nothing more (at least, I THOUGHT it was pretty clear). I don't really understand people who get upset by this stuff when it comes to remakes and things like this. The original game is and always will be there.

2. I'll give you that some of the earlier ones can get repetitive. They do some interesting stuff with the later ones though, I thought.

3. Yeah, pretty much. They could've probably done more with the monster design adjusting to the way you play the game. Still, if you compare every aspect to the earlier Team Silent games, you're going to be disappointed every time. There's just no way to stand up to those games, and once I realized that I was able to start enjoying the later games in the franchise.

4. I've never played a Cooking Mama game but I don't remember feeling insulted by any of the puzzles in SM. They relied a bit heavily on the motion control thing than sheer brainpower, but I thought they were mostly entertaining. Again, you've gotta stop comparing this to the older games.

5. "The past Silent Hill games..." yup, you already know what I'm going to say here.

6. You either don't remember SH2's twist or you don't remember SM's twist.

I'm not saying Shattered Memories was perfect, but it's certainly far from the mess you're making it out to be. I'm comfortable calling Homecoming out as garbage because it tried too hard to ape what Team Silent did and it showed (if any game ripped off SH2's twist, it was Homecoming).

I was able to enjoy Downpour and Shattered Memories because I realized Team Silent was never coming back. I've always thought the Silent Hill fanbase was one of the worst particularly because it seems like a lot of them were never able to accept that.

Basically, each of your arguments is "do not compare this to the older Silent Hill games". I wouldn't have done that, but no matter how you look at it, this game has Silent Hill in its title, so it's inevitable for it to be compared to the previous installments.

I'm not saying there is no room for innovation in the franchise (quote the opposite really). But making changes just for the sake of tampering with the formula is a big no-go in my book. In that regard, I see Shattered Memories as a failed experiment of rebooting the franchise.

In addition, I never believed Team Silent were the only ones being able to create a good SH game (P.T. was basically The Room on steroids and that did not have anyone from the original Team Silent). It's just that none of the studios that took a shot with the franchise managed to come up with something even remotely good.

Most of my hatred towards SM comes from it completely disregarding the occult portion of the Silent Hill lore. The origins of the town as a sacred ground and the Silent Hill cult are probably the most important part of the franchise.

Celine

One of the better third-party game on Wii.
Not only the presentation was very good but the motion controls worked well.
Chase sequences worked too quite well most of the time, you just need to udnerstand the game require you to do small movements (not waggle through it).

Dascu

Most of my hatred towards SM comes from it completely disregarding the occult portion of the Silent Hill lore. The origins of the town as a sacred ground and the Silent Hill cult are probably the most important part of the franchise.
I think this is total nonsense.

But whatever, people look for different things in the franchise. And I found a lot of those things in Shattered Memories. At the core, they put a very realistic and emotional trauma. The game managed to both scare and sadden me, with its tale of loss and grief. I think that's the core of the series.

Feel free to disagree.

fernoca

Then your hatred is just misplaced.
It was just supposed to be a different take on the series.

Not the "fanservice edition" that the series started turning into like "Hey, lets put Pyramid Head just because he's popular", or "here's a woman with duck tape all over her: new creature!!".

It is why I really enjoyed Shattered Memories. A great experience on every aspect, diferent yet unique enough.

One of the better third-party game on Wii.
Not only the presentation was very good but the motion controls worked well.
Chase sequences worked too quite well most of the time, you just need to udnerstand the game require you to do small movements (not waggle through it).
The misunderstanding of the controls for this game is of epic proportions. Some people even think that the game is not registering the motion commands because some times the creatures are still latched to the character, when they are infact programmed to be a bit hard to shake off, thus requiring multiple shoves. Gentle gesturing of the Wii Remote and Nunchuck forward, left or right is all it takes really.

It also surprised me how well gesturing with either the Nunchuck or Remote works when seting obstacles for the creatures while running.

My only slight complain regarding gesturing was
the swiming sequence.
Control wise it registers and works properly, it is also super brief but i don't think it added much in terms of inmersion.

Red Steel 2.
Definitely, Red Steel 2 is perfectly executed in terms of visual design and among the best looking Wii games. But i classified in the Galaxy type. A game not necessarily making tons of interesting technical things but with an expert visual direction.

I could write an essay on how much I HATE this abomination of a game, but I'm still trying to forget it even exists.

Sometimes I really wonder if this is actually worse than Homecoming and the Pachinko machine. Why is that?

1. Retconing the SH1 plot while trying to pass itself as a canon entry in the franchise.
2. The chase sequences are incredibly dull, frustrating and simply not scary.
3. The monster design is god awful.
4. Some of the puzzles wouldn't feel out of place in a Cooking Mama game. Seriously, the puzzles in this game are insulting to the player's intelligence.
5. The "normal" world is nothing more than a glorified walking simulator. The past Silent Hill games managed to keep constant tension thanks to both the normal world and the Otherworld posing a threat to the player.
6. The story is nothing more than a retelling of SH1 with SH2 styled twist slapped in the end for no reason.

Yes, it looks good (for its respective platform). So do Crysis 3 and The Order: 1886. In the end however, this is nothing more than one of the worst horror games I've ever played, relying on its cheap "psychological profile" gimmick.

Most of your points are subjective, but the bolded is simply inaccurate. SM wasn't intended to retcon or replace SH1 in any way; it's essentially a "What if?" scenario involving alternate incarnations of its characters. And really, apart from their names, they're completely different characters anyway. While the plot seemingly has the same basic premise (a guy called Harry Mason wakes from a car crash and searches for his missing daughter), it develops into a completely different story.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's definitely impressive to look at, and a blast to play. Absolutely love it, the atmosphere is incredible.

Being able to read the signs is something that still amazes me to this day. There are many 1080p games where you can't do that.

nkarafo

Being able to read the signs is something that still amazes me to this day. There are many 1080p games where you can't do that.
Yeah, it sounds like a very minor detail on paper but it does wonders to the game's immersion.

Pressing a button to see a higher resolution picture and text, while the game is on pause, is an archaic mechanic IMO but most games still do that unfortunately.

It's definitely impressive to look at, and a blast to play. Absolutely love it, the atmosphere is incredible.

Yeah, it sounds like a very minor detail on paper but it does wonders to the game's immersion.

Pressing a button to see a higher resolution picture and text, while the game is on pause, is an archaic mechanic IMO but most games still do that unfortunately.
Is indeed a very natural way to interact with the environment and for the game to feed information to the player.

In relation to the above did you guys managed to play Shenmue in 1999 or the sequel later? In the game you could stand in front of a house and read the number or householder name, read street sign posts or stand infront of a public map to get some directions. In part 2 they expanded this realistic way of navigating the environment by giving the player option to ask directions and a NPC will literally lead you to the desire location.

In regards to Shattered Memories, the "high resolution" text and signs was integrated as a gameplay mechanic, a way to sort of profile the player in realtime according to what things in the environment catched his attention. Then aspects of the presentation and story sequences changed to reflect that. This also was put in practice during NPC interactions.

A really innovative and special game.

I think this is total nonsense.

But whatever, people look for different things in the franchise. And I found a lot of those things in Shattered Memories. At the core, they put a very realistic and emotional trauma. The game managed to both scare and sadden me, with its tale of loss and grief. I think that's the core of the series.

Feel free to disagree.

I also agree with this. I know everyone's different, but when I think of the qualities I look for in a Silent Hill game, the inclusion of the cult is WAY down on the list. I much prefer the more personal stories, which is probably why SH2, SM and Downpour are among my favourites in the series. I typically look for an engaging story, an immersive atmosphere, a mounting sense of dread, surreal/nightmarish imagery, the tackling of taboo/adult themes, symbolism, total mindfucks, and the occasional scare, all of which SM brought to the table.

Ahasverus

Dismissing SH3 does not help to validate you opinion.
SH3 was the most forced sequel I've ever played. It was fun and perhaps more "polished" than Downpour, but it didn't make sense in its own lore. Downpour at least tries to (and does, it fits perfectly and ties some loose ends)

nkarafo

The PS2 version being a lazy port is very sad, considering we know the console was capable of so much more. The models on SH3 and SH4 look WAY better than that.

tumblr_muncakUsYT1s4wum7o1_500.gif

latest
Yes but the environments of Shattered Memories are far more complex than in SH3 and maybe with the same models as the SH3 the PS2 would not be able to handle it.

ryseing

There were a surprising number of great Wii/PSP games. I still have fond memories of Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

Guri

Really amazing game. Definitely my favourite after the Team Silent games. I wish I could play it again.

Basically, each of your arguments is "do not compare this to the older Silent Hill games". I wouldn't have done that, but no matter how you look at it, this game has Silent Hill in its title, so it's inevitable for it to be compared to the previous installments.

I'm not saying there is no room for innovation in the franchise (quote the opposite really). But making changes just for the sake of tampering with the formula is a big no-go in my book. In that regard, I see Shattered Memories as a failed experiment of rebooting the franchise.

In addition, I never believed Team Silent were the only ones being able to create a good SH game (P.T. was basically The Room on steroids and that did not have anyone from the original Team Silent). It's just that none of the studios that took a shot with the franchise managed to come up with something even remotely good.

What I don't get here is this hatred for a game that isn't even a reboot. It's a reimagination only. Silent Hill 1 is still canon in the universe. This game only
takes one of its endings and makes a sequel out of it. That's it.
Also, I definitely do not agree the cult is the most important part of it. I think the psychological horror and how the town can change based on the main character is the most important part. And yet I really love SH1 and 3. So yeah, I'm sorry you became so angry about a game that you could easily just ignore.

By the way, P.T. had a few members of Team Silent involved.

Lime

Kaufmann
speech at the end is one of the greatest speeches ever.

I disagree.
Throwing the whiskey glass
was just overly dramatic and cheesy for me. It was like watching an audition trying to hit on all kinds of emotional registers.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I disagree.
Throwing the whiskey glass
was just overly dramatic and cheesy for me. It was like watching an audition trying to hit on all kinds of emotional registers.

Have you ever been on therapy?

rjc571

Banned
The Wii version runs at 60 fps? That's cool, I didn't even know that. Might have to check it out now! (Though to be honest, survival horror is the one genre where I usually won't complain about a game running at 30 fps.)

nkarafo

The Wii version runs at 60 fps? That's cool, I didn't even know that. Might have to check it out now! (Though to be honest, survival horror is the one genre where I usually won't complain about a game running at 30 fps.)
It does but it goes lower when you use the flashlight.

psychotron

My favorite Wii game. It had such fresh ideas and easily the best use of the Wii-Mote. The graphics and frame rate were top notch as well.

Guri

Who and source, please? :)

Somehow in my memory, I remembered this thread showing members of Team Silent who worked on P.T. But it actually shows who was at Kojima Productions. They were not key members (as shown in posts #2 and #8), but they might have worked on it, considering a lot of assets from Ground Zeroes were used during development of P.T.

But i classified in the Galaxy type. A game not necessarily making tons of interesting technical things but with an expert visual direction.

What the hell? Do you even know the techniques Galaxy applied? Galaxy is one of the few Wii games that uses tons of EMBM, direct texturing, environment mapping, fur-shading, rim lighting, bloom, and god know what else I've forgotten. Almost every scene is using some kind of effects the system is capable of + amazing art direction and 60fps.

What the hell? Do you even know the techniques Galaxy applied? Galaxy is one of the few Wii games that uses tons of EMBM, direct texturing, environment mapping, fur-shading, rim lighting, bloom, and god know what else I've forgotten. Almost every scene is using some kind of effects the system is capable of + amazing art direction and 60fps.
i know all that, but the environments are really simple, so it's the texturing in general (save for the ones that use that nice emboss) that is why it can accomplish those effects while maintaining 60 frames. Do you want to see tons of complex effects while rendering a relatively more demanding scenes? Just look at Factor 5 GC games.

Lime

Somehow in my memory, I remembered this thread showing members of Team Silent who worked on P.T. But it actually shows who was at Kojima Productions. They were not key members (as shown in posts #2 and #8), but they might have worked on it, considering a lot of assets from Ground Zeroes were used during development of P.T.

You can actually cross-reference the credits of P.T. to see if there is any staff who worked on Silent Hill before. And none of the people credited actually did. So no members of the fluid Team Silent was involved in P.T.

But there is some staff from Silent Hill that worked for KojiPro on Phantom Pain.

iosef

Apologies for necrobumping this thread (a month's OK, right?), but...

1) OP, I love you

2) This game was extremely divisive. For the most part reactions tend to split along the line of series regulars (who dislike SH:SM for the lack of combat and for screwing with SH1's story) vs. series newbies (who approach the game on its own merits). But another dividing line is age, and as an extension of that parenthood. If you have children and in particular of you are the parent of a girl, SH:SM likely has much more emotional impact for you.

Don't know how I missed this thread originally.

I loooooooove this friggin game. I think it may be my favorite in the franchise, which is saying a hell of a lot.

Didn't know it ran at 60FPS. I definitely don't remember that. It was gorgeous though.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've long expressed my open adoration for Shattered Memories, largely due to demonstrating the types of narratives and exploration of themes that can be accomplished through interactive mediums. It's a very clever and thought provoking story that requires the act of interaction and agency and how the player imposes themselves on the avatar to deliver on its premise and themes.

Obviously it's not perfect. The escape sequences need a fair bit of work, and the psychological profiling would have benefited from deeper implementation and game altering representation, but none of these detract from the ambition and inventiveness of what we got.

I played through it three times back-to-back. It's honestly a game I have a hard time putting into words, and how where I feel it succeeds in using the medium's strengths. But yeah. Real gem of a game elevated by bold ideas.

nkarafo

Didn't know it ran at 60FPS. I definitely don't remember that. It was gorgeous though.
It does, as long as you keep that flashlight shut :p

Edit: I tried the game on Dolphin. It's slow on my i5 4670 stock and the particle effects are messed up... seems it's some kind of an advanced thing that is hard to emulate. Makes sense considering it also looks advanced. Oh well : /

It does, as long as you keep that flashlight shut :p

Edit: I tried the game on Dolphin. It's slow on my i5 4670 stock and the particle effects are messed up... seems it's some kind of an advanced thing that is hard to emulate. Makes sense considering it also looks advanced. Oh well : /

Well at least there were a couple devs that actually gave a shit making stuff on the Wii.

Joeku

So glad I played it as it was meant to be played instead of on the PS2 or PSP. It used the Wii to its greatest strengths and weaknesses.

Simbabbad

Shattered Memories was indeed an amazing game, which did much more impressive, innovative and promising things in terms of video game narrative than, say, Heavy Rain. But their director wasn't a media queen, so...

addik

To all those who are saying that the PSP is the worst version of SM, I think I read somewhere that stated that the game ported and optimized first for the PSP (from the Wii), and it was simply up-ported to PS2. I honestly would not be surprised, considering Climax started out of the PSP ad for as Silent Hill is confirmed.

Recalling this game's background, I can now remember why I was on the #FucKonami team ever since this game was announced. I remember this getting a lot of good press in E3. Lots of sites said that this was one of their most anticipated Wii games at least. The marketing was going great, and Konami decided to show less of this. Worst, I remembered them just announcing the release date in a secretive way. I remember reading posts on how surprised they were to find out that Shattered Memories was releasing that week.

Then you hear how this game started out, and you realize that despite Shattered Memories receiving a lot of praise and buzz post-release, Konami never gave Climax another chance to develop a Silent Hill game. I remembered seeing Climax do a prototype for another Silent Hill game for the PS3 (although that coul have been for another horror game, they used Travis' model though). Instead, they had a company do a bad Doom copy for the Vita. The entire situation was bullshit.

Fuck Konami, seriously.

Top Bottom