• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK/R.O.I GAF - Thread of geopolitical confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleepey

I can sorta see why everyone outside of LDN feels LDN gets too much money/focus. But then again it is an awesome city. I have only been to Wales, Bognor Regis, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham. Everywhere outside of LDN seems mostly lame with few exceptions.

Meadows

Banned
I can sorta see why everyone outside of LDN feels LDN gets too much money/focus. But then again it is an awesome city. I have only been to Wales, Bognor Regis, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham. Everywhere outside of LDN seems mostly lame with few exceptions.

great logic

hey i'm from birmingham and it's not too bad. yeh the employments prospects are horrendous, the public transport is bad, if you dont have a car you are fucked basically, and its pretty much full of dole scum...

BUT the nightlife there is great, plenty of stuff to do, great pubs, bars, clubs, and rave places like pst and the rainbow warehouse.

top place to score drugs as well.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

You picked a few fairly dire places to go to though. I think I'd even pick Sheffield above those.

Bristol, for example, is every bit as fascinating as Hamburg; Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh have fantastic and unique atmospheres and plenty in the way of facilities and so on. Liverpool arguably the friendliest city on the planet and coming up nicely out of a very difficult 50 years or so. And go a bit smaller and there are plenty of good places to be (though everywhere gets its ups and downs - Swansea now is a shadow of its former self) for example Derby, Exeter, Worcester (but not Hereford) seem to be doing just fine.

It's the run-down bits of the old industrial North that are the most depressing and the most hard done by, in a great broad band running across from roughly Warrington and Wigan to Hull.

Haven't been to Newcastle/South Shields for a long long time, but that always struck me as a place that could if it wished to harness a whole lot of civic pride and wellbeing. Anyone there or been there recently? How did it turn out?

Lirlond

"well it's true that LDN gets loads of money, but going to these places that get no money, they just don't compare to LDN.."

Meadows

Banned
You picked a few fairly dire places to go to though. I think I'd even pick Sheffield above those.

Bristol, for example, is every bit as fascinating as Hamburg; Cardiff, Glasgow and Edinburgh have fantastic and unique atmospheres and plenty in the way of facilities and so on. Liverpool arguably the friendliest city on the planet and coming up nicely out of a very difficult 50 years or so. And go a bit smaller and there are plenty of good places to be (though everywhere gets its ups and downs - Swansea now is a shadow of its former self) for example Derby, Exeter, Worcester (but not Hereford) seem to be doing just fine.

It's the run-down bits of the old industrial North that are the most depressing and the most hard done by, in a great broad band running across from roughly Warrington and Wigan to Hull.

Haven't been to Newcastle/South Shields for a long long time, but that always struck me as a place that could if it wished to harness a whole lot of civic pride and wellbeing. Anyone there or been there recently? How did it turn out?

I'd say the post-industry runs mainly across the pennines.

Warrington did relatively well in post-industry (it mainly served as a commuter town for Manchester/Liverpool/Chester). I should know! I lived there for 18 years!

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
I'd say the post-industry runs mainly across the pennines.

Warrington did relatively well in post-industry (it mainly served as a commuter town for Manchester/Liverpool/Chester). I should know! I lived there for 18 years!

Warrington's done OK (I've been there several times in the last few years), but it has kind of lost it's soul through becoming a commuter area - in the same sort of way that Bedford, which used to be a sleepy market town is now essentially a suburb of London - a sort of cross between north Harrow and north Tottenham.

But you're right - I should (EDIT:)NOT have included it among the dire depressed bits (I do include Wigan though, I think I must have got my Ws slightly confused.)

FreeMufasa

Those are northern cities. You should check out southern cities like Southampton and Portsmouth.

But yeah, I do agree there needs to be more equal development between the major cities. I was actually talking about this with a friend last week. You think about places to go to the US and you think of NYC, Miami, D.C, San Francisco, Seattle, L.A and a bunch of other places. Same with Germany and other countries. But whenever I spoke to people abroad, they'd always say "Yeah I want to visit London". Not even England, just London. And they'd give fair such as sight seeing the palace or visiting museums. Reading posts and hearing projects have been moved to London because that's 'where it's at'............it's pretty fucked up. Like a self fulfilling prophecy.

Meadows

Banned
Warrington's done OK (I've been there several times in the last few years), but it has kind of lost it's soul through becoming a commuter area - in the same sort of way that Bedford, which used to be a sleepy market town is now essentially a suburb of London - a sort of cross between north Harrow and north Tottenham.

But you're right - I should (EDIT:)NOT have included it among the dire depressed bits (I do include Wigan though, I think I must have got my Ws slightly confused.)

I dunno, Warrington never really had much of a soul anyways. There was the wire industry but people moved on quickly to service sector stuff when that moved away.

The market is still good though. It was a good place to grow up.

Goron2000

best junior ever
hey i'm from birmingham and it's not too bad. yeh the employments prospects are horrendous, the public transport is bad, if you dont have a car you are fucked basically, and its pretty much full of dole scum...

BUT the nightlife there is great, plenty of stuff to do, great pubs, bars, clubs, and rave places like pst and the rainbow warehouse.

top place to score drugs as well.

Brummie GAF represent. Yeah it's pretty much how you describe, i never really go out in the city centre though as it's a little expensive for my tastes. You are right about the drugs though. Birmingham is run by coke and weed dealers, there's 3 on every corner. I wouldn't mind but that's all they seem to have, it's very boring.

Arnie

People might look at that rap in a derogatory way, but the opening line of the first proper verse is spot on: North West is the best.

"Don't go the Crazy House it's full of goths, sometimes I go outside and have 'em all off"

Funny shit.

I'd rather live in Preston, Liverpool or Manchester than London.

People might look at that rap in a derogatory way, but the opening line of the first proper verse is spot on: North West is the best.

"Don't go the Crazy House it's full of goths, sometimes I go outside and have 'em all off"

Funny shit.

Damn right. People are generally much more friendly up here. Except for bus drivers: where ever you go get on a bus, and it is a wanker behind the wheel.

They are right about Crazy House, that place is a hole. The floor is sticky from all the spilled alcopops, and I saw piss streaming under the door of the toilets.

Meadows

Banned

Funny shit.

preach brother

All the whining fucks going on about how much money London gets seem to ignore how much money London puts in in the first place. As per, it's a bunch of jealous northerners being bitter about London's awesomeness.

It's not London's fault that you can walk across your toytown centres in 10 minutes or less.

Arnie

Damn right. People are generally much more friendly up here. Except for bus drivers: where ever you go get on a bus, and it is a wanker behind the wheel.

They are right about Crazy House, that place is a hole. The floor is sticky from all the spilled alcopops, and I saw piss streaming under the door of the toilets.
I love the bus drivers who pretend cash notes aren't legal tender. All right dick head, you either take my £10 note or I'll have a free ride.

Crazy House is a mess, sticky floors, nasty smells, alright music if you're into that thing. The only place that comes close from my own experience is Corp in Sheffield. That place is the definition of grotty.
preach brother

north-west-england2.gif

predator_handshake_0.jpg

All the whining fucks going on about how much money London gets seem to ignore how much money London puts in in the first place. As per, it's a bunch of jealous northerners being bitter about London's awesomeness.

It's not London's fault that you can walk across your toytown centres in 10 minutes or less.
I know the real reason you sound so bitter.

Preston bus station is the largest bus station in West Europe.

Makes me tingle.

Very much the London attitude. As long as London is fine and getting plenty, who cares if the entire country is left to rot. Thankfully I've met Londoners who don't adhere to such childish opinions.

^Or bus drivers who try to act the funny man when you ask if the bus is heading somewhere not on the front text banner. I had one cheeky fucker say 'which way is the bus pointing?'. I looked at him, told him not to be funny with me, and he apologised. Tosser, the bus could have went to a thousand different places where I was getting on at before it reached the end location of the service.

Chinner

Banned
ive lived all around the uk. all i want to say is exeter is a very nice city. cathedral green is sweet to hang about during the summer.

Very much the London attitude. As long as London is fine and getting plenty, who cares if the entire country is left to rot. Thankfully I've met Londoners who don't adhere to such childish opinions.

Exactly. Fuck the rest of you paupers. You get given money and jobs. you moan. London dares to spend some money on itself, you moan.

We're great, it's not our fault, get over it.

Arnie

I honestly couldn't care about economics, I just don't want to live in a City that's crammed so full of life. It's overwhelmingly dense, with people crawling out of each and every hole and gutter.

Oh, and:

Preston-Bus-Station-596x304.jpg

Fuck me it's gorgeous.

I love the bus drivers who pretend cash notes aren't legal tender. All right dick head, you either take my £10 note or I'll have a free ride.

Crazy House is a mess, sticky floors, nasty smells, alright music if you're into that thing. The only place that comes close from my own experience is Corp in Sheffield. That place is the definition of grotty.

[IMGhttp://www.local-web.co.uk/images/north-west-england2.gif[/IMG]

[IMGhttp://cdn2.screenjunkies.com/wp-content/uploads/predator_handshake_0.jpg[/IMG]

I know the real reason you sound so bitter.

Preston bus station is the largest bus station in West Europe.

Makes me tingle.

I've been rumbled :(

Bo-Locks

If the riots last summer taught us anything, it's that it really doesn't matter where the hell you come from in England. We can all be scumbags together.

But Londoners started it.

Meadows

Banned
I honestly couldn't care about economics, I just don't want to live in a City that's crammed so full of life. It's overwhelmingly dense, with people crawling out of each and every hole and gutter.

Oh, and:

Preston-Bus-Station-596x304.jpg

Fuck me it's gorgeous.

amazing bit of architecture

and look, a Londoner up his own arse.

It's alright he'll go to his vegan 1980s Argentinian film festival (ironic) in Camden tomorrow so he'll be less grumpy.

Arnie

It's alright he'll go to his vegan 1980s Argentinian film festival (ironic) in Camden tomorrow so he'll be less grumpy.

When I was visiting a friend there in December I went to a small bar in Shoreditch and it was like being in a different time period; music, fashion, everything. What time period exactly I have no clue.

My friends house mate worked there and he handed me a gin and tonic, jesus fuck it was a strange night.

So it is true? Hispters have ironically taken over London, especially the east end?

The hipster fuckwits have unfortunately over run my ancestral stomping grounds.

Ps Vegans have almost as much of a sense of humour bypass as northerners so they're not high on my list of people I'd like to associate with. I'm just glad meadows has stopped crying (and thereby proving my point) in the city thread. He's young so it's good to see he's learning.

When I was visiting a friend there in December I went to a small bar in Shoreditch and it was like being in a different time period; music, fashion, everything. What time period exactly I have no clue.

My friends house mate worked there and he handed me a gin and tonic, jesus fuck it was a strange night.

Thats probably due to a problem in the time continuum around there. There is another in Glasgow, takes you back to the 1980s.

Bleepey

"well it's true that LDN gets loads of money, but going to these places that get no money, they just don't compare to LDN.."

I bitched just as much about shit being overpriced when i went to Cambridge. I heard every pound invested in London gives a bigger return on investment than in other places in the UK. I have been to a few places in the UK but honestly none of them really appeal to me.

Meadows

Banned
The hipster fuckwits have unfortunately over run my ancestral stomping grounds.

Ps Vegans have almost as much of a sense of humour bypass as northerners so they're not high on my list of people I'd like to associate with. I'm just glad meadows has stopped crying (and thereby proving my point) in the city thread. He's young so it's good to see he's learning.

FYI J was ironic 18 times in this post.

But you just don't get it.

Bleepey

So it is true? Hispters have ironically taken over London, especially the east end?

There is what i call the straight line of hipster spots. I can probably think of a snappier name but i can't be bothered. It basically goes from Stoke Newington, to Dalston, to Shoreditch/Hoxton to Brick lane. So many hipsters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom