• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Power Ranger (2017) discussion |OT| It's Movie Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairhome

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the movie rather than discussion of reviews.

I'm sitting here after the first showing at my theater. Packed showing, i didnt expect. Lots of cheers, the crowd loved it! I loved it. Billy is awesome.

Please Mark Spoilers

WillyFive

That's Saban's Power Rangers to you, good sir. Every single marketing and product placement is instructed to have Saban's in the title, even when presenters say it on talk shows.

Sanjuro

Thought I'd start a separate thread for the movie rather than discussion of reviews.

I'm sitting here after the first showing at my theater. Packed showing, i didnt expect. Lots of cheers, the crowd loved it! I loved it. Billy is awesome.

Had a very interesting crowd. Children crying from the horror. Fan reactions to the throwbacks.

Basically was Billy and Alpha's film.

robotrock

Banned
This movie was....really good? Had a great time watching it. Absolutely adored everything up until
they morph and it gets into the action, wish the fighting was more fast paced like the original series than how slow it was her. But still, even those scenes were fine.

Loved the cast and characters.

Laws00

Saw it. Was ok.

Didn't have high high expectations but was enjoyable

Sooo Rita
was green ranger

2nd movie
has Tommy in it

And
the cameo at the end. I tried to see who all was there. Tommy, Kim, Jason. Was anybody else there? Like OG billy or Zach? I know I saw a few of them in that picture of the premiere

robotrock

Banned
Atom Tickets is singlehandedly going to make this the number one opening in history at this rate

Speaking of this, there was a bunch of Atom marketing at my theater tonight. Huge posters and cardboard cut outs for them everywhere. Also, when I presented my Atom QR code to the theater guy to pick up my tickets, he pulled out this crazy iPad tabletop thing instead of using the nice handhold fandango scanner. I was like, what!

Sanjuro

When the film turns into Man of Steel...

I couldn't get over how many of the shots matched up pretty evenly and they switched IHOP & Sears for Krispy Kreme. I mean, they even worked Krispy Kreme into multiple lines of dialog!

cj_iwakura

I felt like it's a little too long to be honest, started to drag. It's honestly a kid's movie, with a lot of love for the source material.

Rita is basically Scorpina x Rita and it works. She is pretty damn scary.

Stay After The Credits.

Oh god, the product placement. Lol. Best ever.

KRISPY KREEEEEEEME

And tell me I'm not the only one who went 'Thanos?' when I saw the Megazord, lol.

robotrock

Banned
You were the only one. I'm sorry. I paid money to see a Power Rangers movie and I damn well knew it was a Power Rangers movie.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
When I saw the trailer initially I thought it looked awful and full of emo teenage angst - another movie to join the ranks of I Am Number Four, Divergent and Mortal Instruments.

I left the theater tonight with a giant grin on my face. It's such stupid and campy fun.

Two top highlights:

Krispy Kreme.

Slapping Rita to the moon like a Saturday morning cartoon character.

cj_iwakura

You were the only one. I'm sorry. I paid money to see a Power Rangers movie and I damn well knew it was a Power Rangers movie.

It looked just like it.

Also, they did a great job on character development. Time well spent, but the action that finally happened is just kind of bleh.

Chairhome

Another free ticket code, works right now:
CANDYPOWER
Use on Atomtickets.com

I just got tickets for me and my son cause we missed part of the end cause he had to pee :-/

Chairhome

so... what happens in the end credits?

New student announced by detention teacher: Tommy Oliver. He's nowhere to be found as they call his name and the camera zooms in on an empty chair with a green jacket. The camera moves through the school and there's an explosion, which is implied to be an accident caused by Billy

Delio

Just got back and I really liked it. I liked the character bonding a lot especially with Jason and Billy. Billy stood out for me as well loved all his scenes.

Sanjuro

Just got back and I really liked it. I liked the character bonding a lot especially with Jason and Billy. Billy stood out for me as well loved all his scenes.

I liked Billy a lot. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was
he was autistic and didn't understand jokes, however he spends the remainder of the film being one of the most wise cracking Rangers.

Surprisingly decent all around. Enjoyed more than almost every comic book movie from the past few years.

The Mariner Bay and Reefside reference was cool.

cj_iwakura

he was autistic and didn't understand jokes, however he spends the remainder of the film being one of the most wise cracking Rangers.

I had no idea that he was.

From the other thread:

I loved it. Thought the acting, writing and chemistry were perfect. It had a great mix of comedy, drama and action.

The suits looked really good in motion and so did the zords. I really hope this movie succeeds. I want to see a sequel!

My theatre cheered when the 90s theme started playing. The film also had so many Easter eggs—the
pterodactyl attaching to the tyrannosaurs was definitely a nod to the original megazord's tank mode.

Also my theatre was packed for 7pm on a Thursday. People were cracking up at the Kristen Creme references.

Blablurn

Please tell me: Do they play the PR Theme during the movie?

EDIT:

The answer is right above me.

Glad to hear that <3

Delio

Yeah it was odd when i thought Zack was being painted as the one tossing out lines like that.

Surprisingly decent all around. Enjoyed more than almost every comic book movie from the past few years.

The Mariner Bay and Reefside reference was cool.

I had to giggle a bit at those references.

Sanjuro

For the people that saw it tonight, how was the crowd compared to other Thursday showings that you've been to?

Not great in total. Because of the number of larger films playing, it didn't make it to the largest theater. The crowd was a mixture of children around the age of ten, then combination of adults 20s-30s from different variations.

Not a lot of reactions to the jokes other than the references and callbacks.

I felt I was chuckling by myself at a lot of Alpha's commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom