• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

So I just got this game, never played DMC, Bayonetta or God of War and I suck. I've played Souls and Bloodborne so I thought I'd adapt to the parrying mechanic but I can't. Read the tips and still suck. On the blade wolf boss and haven't gotten it past 50% yet. Guess this game just wasn't made for me, shame.

Monocle

So I just got this game, never played DMC, Bayonetta or God of War and I suck. I've played Souls and Bloodborne so I thought I'd adapt to the parrying mechanic but I can't. Read the tips and still suck. On the blade wolf boss and haven't gotten it past 50% yet. Guess this game just wasn't made for me, shame.
You can get used to it. It's a just a rhythm thing. It clicks with time, and when it does this game is so much fun.

I can suggest a few things. These may sound obvious but they're important.

- All good action games have consistent audio and visual cues for attacks. Note them and figure out how long to wait until you input your parry.

- If your parries fail, your inputs are too fast or too slow. Try not to panic and attempt a parry right when the enemy moves at you. Get a feel for their attack timing and be deliberate about it. Gradually you'll build an instinct for the correct timing.

- Attacks that flash gold are unblockable. Buy the dodging slash thing and use that.

McNum

Wolf is tough for everyone new to the genre on the first go. His purpose is to make sure you're ready for the rest of the game.

I can give a few general parrying tips.

- Parry early, you won't get the counter, but you will block. Better than getting hit.
- Parry for every enemy attack. When wolf does his three hit combo, you must parry three times.

And for Wolf in particular.

- His attack where he jumps three times and then pounces you must be parried way, way sooner than you think. But it CAN be parried. Everything Wolf does can be parried.

For general survival, one question. Have you set your Repair Nanopastes to automatic yet? Select them from the, I think it's D-pad left or right menu and equip them. Raiden will use one immediately as his health hits 0%.

Thanks for the tips. Should I set it to easy instead though? There isn't enough tell for when to parry/when I did a successful parry/how to parry so I'm getting obliterated :(

I shouldn't be able to plat bloodborne and struggle on the first boss here, I wish there was a better way to get my feet wet than this boss

Guess Who

Banned
Thanks for the tips. Should I set it to easy instead though? There isn't enough tell for when to parry/when I did a successful parry/how to parry so I'm getting obliterated :(

I shouldn't be able to plat bloodborne and struggle on the first boss here, I wish there was a better way to get my feet wet than this boss

The timing window for a parry is very generous on lower difficulties. You'll usually see a red eye-flash before an enemy attacks, so right after as you see that just hammer the analog stick in that enemy's direction and hit the light attack button at the same time. Raiden will make a defensive stance and block the attack. (If you wait till the very last moment before the attack lands, you will both block it and follow up with a very powerful counter-hit.) You have to do this for every separate hit, so if Wolf is doing a three-hit combo, for instance, you have to hammer the stick + light attack for every single hit. It's almost like a fighting game input, if that makes any sense.

McNum

It's not the same skills you need. I beat MGR on Revengeance difficulty, but utterly suck at Dark Souls. I miss the MGR parry move when I play that...

You're saying there's not enough tells. Look at Blade Wolf's eyes. Just before it attacks, a big red + shines, or its entire body glows orange. Every enemy does that. That's your "Incoming attack! Get ready!" cue. It comes just before the attack. (Some enemies have a yellow +, it means "Incoming Unblockable Attack!", so dodge!) The tell for if you did parry is a shockwave and Raiden striking a pose, so it's quite obvious.

To parry correctly, you need to flick the stick and press light attack at the same time. You can't hold the stick, it's a new flick for every parry. So, Wolf attacks you with its three hit combination attack. Red glow, flick+light, second attack, flick+light, third attack, flick+light. The flick is in the direction of the enemy compared to Raiden on the screen. A later boss will need you to remember that one. The timing for the attack where it jumps on Raiden and chainsaws him is flick+light as soon as Wolf lands from its second jump. If you try when it's airborne in its final jump, it's too late. Always parry earlier than you'd think until you learn the exact timings.

I'd recommend watching the first five-ish minutes of this video. The rest is slightly more advanced, you don't need to worry about that yet. Unless you want to worry about it, because it is pretty neat what you can do when you know it's a thing. Like moving around in Blade Mode and stuff like that.

The timing window for a parry is very generous on lower difficulties. You'll usually see a red eye-flash before an enemy attacks, so right after as you see that just hammer the analog stick in that enemy's direction and hit the light attack button at the same time. Raiden will make a defensive stance and block the attack. (If you wait till the very last moment before the attack lands, you will both block it and follow up with a very powerful counter-hit.) You have to do this for every separate hit, so if Wolf is doing a three-hit combo, for instance, you have to hammer the stick + light attack for every single hit. It's almost like a fighting game input, if that makes any sense.

I don't play fighting games either so this is really foreign to me. But thanks again for the tips both of you. I'll keep practicing, maybe start a different save on easy as well.

McNum

I don't play fighting games either so this is really foreign to me. But thanks again for the tips both of you. I'll keep practicing, maybe start a different save on easy as well.
There is a parry tutorial in the VR Missions, too.

When I played the demo first, I lost to Blade Wolf a lot until it clicked for me. But like most Platinum games, when the "Oh so that's what they want me to do!" moment happens, it becomes nearly second nature.

There is a parry tutorial in the VR Missions, too.

When I played the demo first, I lost to Blade Wolf a lot until it clicked for me. But like most Platinum games, when the "Oh so that's what they want me to do!" moment happens, it becomes nearly second nature.

I'll take your word for it, I remember finally "getting" parrying in Bloodborne and it was amazing, hopefully the same thing happens here. Funny it's the same exact mechanic in both cases hehe

McNum

I'll take your word for it, I remember finally "getting" parrying in Bloodborne and it was amazing, hopefully the same thing happens here. Funny it's the same exact mechanic in both cases hehe
When it clicks and you end up beating the game, try re-fighting Blade Wolf. The difference once you made it through will be staggering.

Oh, did you get the Defensive Offense skill from the Customize menu yet? It's in your Codec screen. That and Aerial Parry are some of the most important skills to get. Defensive Offense is your dodge move. You'll need that later, well, next level actually, but it's good to practice now.

huh figured there'd be more posts in here since last time lol

almost exactly one year later and I'm playing again, beat blade wolf on my 3rd or 4th try and then beat mistral in my first and calling it a night, just a few questions

is there a way to cycle through secondary weapons/sub weapons etc. without having to hold down one of the side dpad buttons?

I hate hate hate the mash left stick rotate to break the stun that like all action games do, any way to rebind that at least?

I've never played any other MGS games before, should I bother listening to the optional codecs on my first run? I figured it'll just bore me and mess up the pacing

also yeah got all the basic skill upgrades and upgraded the blade strength, bought the big french arm weapon thingy and some other upgrades and now i'm in the sewers

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
huh figured there'd be more posts in here since last time lol

almost exactly one year later and I'm playing again, beat blade wolf on my 3rd or 4th try and then beat mistral in my first and calling it a night, just a few questions

is there a way to cycle through secondary weapons/sub weapons etc. without having to hold down one of the side dpad buttons?

Unfortunately no.

I hate hate hate the mash left stick rotate to break the stun that like all action games do, any way to rebind that at least?

No, unfortunately. This is a common complaint.

I've never played any other MGS games before, should I bother listening to the optional codecs on my first run? I figured it'll just bore me and mess up the pacing

If you're interested in the story at all of MGR, then listen to them. If not, you can skip them. MGR is mostly a self contained story, so whether you played any other MGS or not should have no bearing on your decision.

also yeah got all the basic skill upgrades and upgraded the blade strength, bought the big french arm weapon thingy and some other upgrades and now i'm in the sewers

Damn that's a shame but it was worth asking.

Not having quick weapon switching is kind of boggling though for this, especially since a secondary weapon replaces half of your default moveset instead of just adding on to it.

McNum

Damn that's a shame but it was worth asking.

Not having quick weapon switching is kind of boggling though for this, especially since a secondary weapon replaces half of your default moveset instead of just adding on to it.
Yeah, remember that this is a PS3 game. They were so tight on RAM that they had to pick. Cut everything, or fast weapon switching. Not enough RAM for both. I think they chose wisely.

Oh and since you're in the sewers, the game is now teaching you why you should have the dodge move. Big yellow flash means "Unblockable!" DODGE! There are later foes where this becomes very important.

Yeah, remember that this is a PS3 game. They were so tight on RAM that they had to pick. Cut everything, or fast weapon switching. Not enough RAM for both. I think they chose wisely.

Oh and since you're in the sewers, the game is now teaching you why you should have the dodge move. Big yellow flash means "Unblockable!" DODGE! There are later foes where this becomes very important.
yeah I looked up what the yellow meant since they don't tell so

still it's a shame it was never remastered for pc or ps4/x1 with quick switching

oh well

I tried again to like this game famorinos, I'm sorry

The camera is hot garbage and I hate having to mash rotating the analog stick every. time. I get stunned

Top Bottom