• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Horizon Zero Dawn's Success is Good(No matter who you are) - Jimquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh when you have a different opinion people will bang in telling you that you don't own this or haven't played that (sometimes it's obvious though).

It's tiring and some posters do it all the time to dismiss someone's opinion.
I mean, what do you expect when you give one line bashing a game? How much a person played is important context. If they just dicked around in the Embrace for half an hour or never left the Sacred Lands that's important context.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Game does look awesome. I look forward to picking it up on sale down the line. I probably would have been there day one if it didn't launch in such close proximity to Zelda.

TankRizzo

Banned
I mean, what do you expect when you give one line bashing a game? How much a person played is important context. If they just dicked around in the Embrace for half an hour or never left the Sacred Lands that's important context.

so now it's "you've never played the game" to "Well, he probably never left the Sacred Lands"

Keep moving those goal posts, chief.

Carcetti

A lot of people didn't receive it well. Saying something is being received well can imply that literally 1 person out of a million liked that thing.

And I didn't quote that portion regarding sales for a reason. Of course I can't disagree with how well a game is selling.

Then make another thread when Jim grows up and doesn't make that jab.

"Horizon Zero Dawn is ranked in the top 1.7% of games scored on OpenCritic
Based on 88 scored reviews, 93 reviews total."

You should've just said you're a joke character, would've saved time.

prwxv3

Yeah, this is literally the only open world RPG that I've ever sought out combat. Most others I avoid combat when I can, often put difficulty on easy (Bethesda games, Dragon Age games, parts of Witcher 3) as I just want to get on with the quests and story.

I did not think the sides quest were that good (besides a few cool ones) but I did not mind doing all of them because they had more combat. I do want them to improve for the sequel though.

Altairre

I was really glad to see that Horizon is doing well from a sales perspective. Not only because it's a great game that is more than just another take on the Ubisoft template (which I was getting really tired of) but because Aloy is a great female character in a game that generally features an extremely diverse cast. In a world where companies are still afraid to put out games like that because they fear that the target audience won't be interested (like it was the case with this game at first), I'd say it's a positive message that Horizon is indeed selling as well as it is.

He wanted to know if I played horizon, so I gave him my answer.

Ow, the edge.

Silvard

The level design felt a little bit bland (with sometimes invisible walls) and Aloy movement is not really great for it.

And activities are not as great as he describes, ok tall necks are funs but enemy camps, cauldrons or sidequest are not the greatest thing in the game, sometimes a mixed bag, sometimes really bad. (not to mention that fights against humans are... ugh)

Fair enough. Anything involving humans as enemies was very weak, in part because combat (in particular melee combat) against them was really unsatisfying and in part because the stealth gameplay had the depth of a puddle and absolutely no balance.

That said, I didn't run into more than a couple of invisible walls and only after really stretching the limits of where I could go. I found Aloy's movement to be pretty smooth and well suited to the world, and I probably climbed more with regular jumping than using colored edges.

I did find that the world felt a bit barren content wise though. There are many town and settlements and fortresses and great looking set pieces, but they're populated by non-interactive NPCs (aside from generic vendors) and except for a few instances where there was a single sidequest involving the town/settlement/fortress/etc. they were mostly dead. It felt like a real waste of such a beautiful and natural feeling world.

Ultimadrago

I hope Jim didn't get too much trouble from readers foaming at the mouth for his Zelda BotW review. I'm closer to agreeing with his review I read (while I'd give the title a bit more credit) than the "10/10 Closest thing to Perfection!" statements.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
What does this mean? Is that not how most open worlds work?

They meant that most open world games are like Horizon in that they have linear main story quests that have to be done in order etc. Vs. Zelda that once you're out of the tutorial you can literally go straight to the final boss, can do any of the story quests in any order. The only gating at all I can think of is needing a certain amount of health to get a certain weapon.

Personally, I prefer the linear narrative as it allows for a strong story. You never get a strong narrative, IMO, in games that are open as it's just not worth putting the resources into telling one if people can skip huge parts of it, do it in any order which messes up the story telling etc. Others don't care about stories in games and prefer the freedom.

Fularu

Banned
You mean like how Jim sounds like he never left the Plateau in BOTW? (See how I tool your flawed logic and applied elsewhere?)

You always do it "have you even played the game?" "Did you even watch the video", every single week

Surprised this thread made it further than the other one.

"Horizon Zero Dawn is ranked in the top 1.7% of games scored on OpenCritic
Based on 88 scored reviews, 93 reviews total."

You should've just said you're a joke character, would've saved time.
Critically acclaimed != well received

I hope Jim didn't get too much trouble from readers foaming at the mouth for his Zelda BotW review. I'm closer to agreeing with his review I read (while I'd give the title a bit more credit) than the "10/10 Closest thing to Perfection!" statements.
He was looking for trouble. That's why he's now on his like 4th or 5th video about the subject.

Why is it that some JS video threads get locked while others don't? The conversation seems pretty much the same in most threads....some people think its spot on while others disagree...im genuinely curious as its just something ive noticed over the course of the last few months....modbots response is kind of unclear...is it trying to suggest that all JS video threads result in "garbage threads" and if so why aren't they always closed if this is the case....

Disxo

Dude keeps killing his credibility at a record pace. A shame.
He is fine, he has pretty good arguments in every video, this included.
However, I can agree his "character" may be putting people off, but you can skip the intro if you want.
(I know I do)

Lanrutcon

I completely disagree.

The video implies that you should be happy new IP is doing well, regardless of how shitty you believe that new IP is. These aren't shitposts. GAF isn't a hivemind. Not everybody here thinks Horizon's a good game.

New IPs have been doing well this entire generation. Horizon isn't something brand new. Watch Dogs and Destiny did significantly better.

Thread was locked last time largely because Jim can't let the Zelda shit go, starts the video off poorly, and the video description is shit too.

No, actually the last thread was locked because people can't fucking talk about the actual video without getting triggered by the word "Zelda".

Like yourself for example.

Bahorel

The yt comments on this video frustrate me to no end. Just a bunch of dudes yelling back "but I don't care about the gender of the character??????? who cares if the game stars a man or a woman????"

It does matter that it's a woman and Jim literally explains why this game is making a difference aka proving the developer excuse "women don't sell" wrong and that we should have more female led games. Ugh.

You mean like how Jim sounds like he never left the Plateau in BOTW? (See how I tool your flawed logic and applied elsewhere?)

You always do it "have you even played the game?" "Did you even watch the video", every single week
It's not flawed, if they didn't play or didn't play past the tutorial how could they speak in good faith to the quality of the game?

Actually that is =.

Is the video about diversity in games? Not watching it but if it's about dlc and all that jazz then it's a pointless unoportunistic and convenient video. This is not the first time a game releases in a complete state without dlc and stuff.

By your logic, no single game has ever been well received. That makes no sense.
Dunno why you guys are clinging onto that portion of my post anyways. I said I didn't like the game. That's it. It's neat that it was successful, but let's not pretend new IP is some endangered species.

He was looking for trouble. That's why he's now on his like 4th or 5th video about the subject.
Who wasn't it well received by?

Dunno why you guys are clinging onto that portion of my post anyways. I said I didn't like the game. That's it. It's neat that it was successful, but let's not pretend new IP is some endangered species.
Bullshit. You said it wasn't well received and now you're backpedaling?

wapplew

If it's similiar to how Splatoon performed then maybe ARMS.

Arms going to be one of the greats, I can feel it.
Also savor it all GG, your IP only can be new once, next one will be tired sequel, rehash idea, unoriginal, risk averse, adverage AAA games./s

DMONKUMA

But that means also mean that stuff like Zelda and Nier aren't well received as well if that the case.

Charamiwa

Banned
So, Horizon success is good because:

- the world isn't too big and is filled with stuff, very dense
- there's no collectibles you can count by the hundreds
- no season pass announced before hand that locks a new hard mode

Hmmm

A lot of people didn't receive it well. Saying something is being received well can imply that literally 1 person out of a million liked that thing.

And I didn't quote that portion regarding sales for a reason. Of course I can't disagree with how well a game is selling.

Then make another thread when Jim grows up and doesn't make that jab.

That's because all of his recent videos have been about BotW. If he's gonna keep taking jabs, that's what the discussion's gonna be about.

"Alot of people didn't receive it well"

Literally applies to every game and is impractical to prove. So what?

Yes, I did. I don't see how me not talking about Horizon specifically, just repeating the video's words, makes me anything close to an alt-righter discussing race issues.

Then you weren't paying attention. What do those games have to do with all the positives Jim brings up regarding Horizon?

Who wasn't it well received by?

Bullshit. You said it wasn't well received and now you're backpedaling?

But that means also mean that stuff like Zelda and Nier aren't well received as well if that the case.

In what universe is a 89 not well received

You're really really struggling with basic concepts and comprehension.

So it's not about sales and it's not about critics. What is it about then? Literally every person I've talked to that has played the game likes it a great deal. I don't know what your metrics are really.
Gee, Jim's video must be great if this is all you guys want to discuss.

I just didn't like the game. That's it. Why are you clinging onto this.

Yes, I did. I don't see how me not talking about Horizon specifically, just repeating the video's words, makes me anything close to an alt-righter discussing race issues.
He's not calling you an alt-righter, he's saying you're trying to change the subject like one. Instead of talking about Horizon, you try to shift gears to other games, this is also after laying into Jim again about Zelda.

silva1991

It objectively received well critically(89 metascore)

The "A lot of people didn't receive it" can be said about the highest rated games in existence. It doesn't mean it isn't generally well received.

killatopak

Why is it that some JS video threads get locked while others don't? The conversation seems pretty much the same in most threads....some people think its spot on while others disagree...im genuinely curious as its just something ive noticed over the course of the last few months....modbots response is kind of unclear...is it trying to suggest that all JS video threads result in "garbage threads" and if so why aren't they always closed if this is the case....

I'm sure if we can just keep discussion on point and not fuel pointless battles, we would all benefit from it. The things in the video is larger than two games being compared. It encompasses the whole industry and even social norms.

TacosNSalsa

How spoilery is this? I just made it to
Merdian
. I'm not super sensitive to spoilers but still would like to avoid anything major.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
TBH I thought that Jim would make a video of the YT drama surrounding some Youtubers getting too comfortable with the alt-right.

I was thinking the same - but I don't think he could tackle the whole subject in a ten minute jimquisition. I dont think the issue has been studied and documented well enough for us to be conclusive as to why the pattern is emerging.

Is the video about diversity in games? Not watching it but if it's about dlc and all that jazz then it's a pointless unoportunistic and convenient video. This is not the first time a game releases in a complete state without dlc and stuff.
It's about the Supreme quality of Horizon in all aspects and why that it is important it is doing well.

It's very well crafted.
It has a well written women protagonist who isn't sexualized.
It doesn't have microtransactions.
It shipped a complete game with no announced DLC or a season pass.
It's a new IP.

Basically it shattered a bunch of preconceived conventions and notions that have been strangling creativity in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom