• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Horizon Zero Dawn's Success is Good(No matter who you are) - Jimquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSun

TBH I thought that Jim would make a video of the YT drama surrounding some Youtubers getting too comfortable with the alt-right.

It would be nice for him to do it, but the ending is the best we will get. Hopefully he will though.

#IStandWithCalamityGanon

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is the video about diversity in games? Not watching it but if it's about dlc and all that jazz then it's a pointless unoportunistic and convenient video. This is not the first time a game releases in a complete state without dlc and stuff.

He makes three main points really.

1. It's great that it's a new IP that was given a big budget and plenty of time in the oven by a major publisher.

2. It's great that doesn't have microtransactions or season pass like most big budget games these days.

3. And he does mention having a female lead, diversity etc.

Basically, just that it's a good thing for the AAA space that there's a game that is doing so well that just didn't play it safe by being a sequel, having a male (or heavily sexualized female) lead, and being heavily monetized with DLC from day one.

Kuni

Totally agreed with this. I actually didn't even notice Guerrilla and Sony didn't do any of the now standard rubbish with AAA gaming.

Congrats Guerrilla and Sony. So well deserved.

Gee, I guess shit-posting should be allowed.
How am I shitposting?

My man, you tried some bullshit in the first thread by picking apart a very simple to comprehend thing Jim said and tried to make it a thing to beat him with. The video is great, you should watch it without your Zelda tinted glasses.
Are you implying that I dislike Horizon because I like Zelda?

Successful new IP isn't an endangered species.

Gee, Jim's video must be great if this is all you guys want to discuss.
My man, you tried some bullshit in the first thread by picking apart a very simple to comprehend thing Jim said and tried to make it a thing to beat him with. The video is great, you should watch it without your Zelda tinted glasses.

Horizon has a 89 on Metacritic. It was received well.

And pretty much agree with the video, great to see a new IP doing well and buck so many trends.

Plum

Then you weren't paying attention. What do those games have to do with all the positives Jim brings up regarding Horizon?

Not much; though Zelda's diversity in its side characters is a great step for Nintendo as a whole.

Why doesn't "Q1 this year has been great for the industry, including Horizon's" have anything to do with the content of the video? I'm adding to the point, yet you think I'm trying to deflect it... for some reason.

No, actually the last thread was locked because people can't fucking talk about the actual video without getting triggered by the word "Zelda".

Like yourself for example.

But don't you understand that this is what JS wants? Why to put some of those Zelda references that he already discussed on his previous videos? He was the one who wanted to this kind of situation to happen. He wins the attention he wanted by triggering the most sensible fans.

He has been using the Zelda drama as the main topic for two weeks and now he uses it to put some coal to another topic that probably would create more fanboy wars. He knows it and he likes it, it brings attention to him and feed him on some way.

KyleCross

So the last thread was locked because so many people derailed it, and it seems like this is suffering the same fate. Instead of locking the thread wouldn't it be better for a mod to tell derailers to stop?

Man Jim likes to add fuel to the Zelda vs Horizon debate for future videos heh?

But yea I agree that a new IP doing well is always good, but I would have just hoped it would be a new IP I care about.

Lanrutcon

Gee, Jim's video must be great if this is all you guys want to discuss.

Oh please. Took you all of one page in the last thread to start posting about Jim's Zelda review and you think it's unfair. One page. Don't act like you had any intention of sticking to the topic at any point.

Bamboo 竹;232435595 said:
But don't you understand that this is what JS wants? Why to put some of those Zelda references that he already discussed on his previous videos? He was the one who wanted to this kind of situation to happen. He wins the attention he wanted by triggering the most sensible fans.

He has been using the Zelda drama as the main topic for two weeks and now he uses it to put some coal to another topic that probably would create more fanboy wars. He knows it and he likes it, it bring attention to him and feed him on some way.

I would not call anyone who's still triggered at this point "sensible". I'm also hoping that this latest video is a step away from the Zelda references, but I get that he's still raw over the abuse.

Plum

It's about the Supreme quality of Horizon in all aspects and why that it is important it is doing well.

It's very well crafted.
It has a well written women protagonist who isn't sexualized.
It doesn't have microtransactions.
It shipped a complete game with no announced DLC or a season pass.
It's a new IP.

Basically it shattered a bunch of preconceived conventions and notions that have been strangling creativity in games.

Horizon does have DLC, Day One DLC to be more exact:

27557590522_0bae0806e0_b.jpg

Oh please. Took you all of one page in the last thread to start posting about Jim's Zelda review and you think it's unfair. One page. Don't act like you had any intention of sticking to the topic at any point.
If Jim can't make a video about Horizon without bringing it up, I can't post in a thread about Jim's video without bringing it up.

Horizon does have DLC, Day One DLC to be more exact:
lol

RootCause

Dunno why you guys are clinging onto that portion of my post anyways. I said I didn't like the game. That's it. It's neat that it was successful, but let's not pretend new IP is some endangered species.
You claimed it wasn't well received. Which isn't the case. You're free to dislike it. But that doesn't change that it was well received.

And the topic isn't about new ip being endangered species, but doing things better.

Someone brought up Destiny, Division and Watch dogs as examples. But completely ignored that those game are filled with microtransactions. Which is one of the things that JS is talking about in regards to Horizon being important for the industry.

It's about the Supreme quality of Horizon in all aspects and why that it is important it is doing well.

It's very well crafted.
It has a well written women protagonist who isn't sexualized.
It doesn't have microtransactions.
It shipped a complete game with no announced DLC or a season pass.
It's a new IP.

Basically it shattered a bunch of preconceived conventions and notions that have been strangling creativity in games.

Sounds like the only aspect worth making a flag for the rest of the industry. The rest just happens to be quite good as many other games do good stuff.
DLC and that well... it's probably coming but I understand that it refers to a complete game from the get go. Othe games do/did this (the number is small yeah).

The entire video could be about diversity, few to none games have such diversity main and secondary cast as Horizon. The quality business standpoint with Horizon is not that unique.

Gitaroo

fully agree with Jim, this video isn't really just about horizon, its the industry as a whole. The success of Horizon is encouraging. Guess Zelda fanboys didn't bother to watch the video at all.

You claimed it wasn't well received. Which isn't the case. You're free to dislike it. But that doesn't change that it was well received.

And the topic isn't about new ip being endangered species, but doing things better.

Someone brought up Destiny, Division and Watch dogs as examples. But completely ignored that those game are filled with microtransactions. Which is one of the things that JS is talking about in regards to Horizon being important for the industry.
And what about the day one DLC mentioned above that Horizon clearly has?

It takes less than a minute for Jim to bring up metabombing of Horizon mentioning it was purely driven by Zelda fans. Ignoring that it goes both ways (even though to a greater extent in the case of zelda given the much greater number of user reviews). Even hints its a great feat the game succeeded in spite of this (amongst other factors).

Lists off games we should be happy to have. Proceeds to mention he 'fucking hates' some of them, focusing on an image of Link from BoTW.

It was a good video, despite it saying nothing new.

But please don't be so shocked Jimquisition threads keep going the same direction if Jim persists to bring up this Zelda topic. He IS baiting at this point, none of the digs needed to be in this video nor did they add anything to it.

I really liked Horizon, haven't finished it because of Zelda, but open world done right doesn't really fit the game from my experience. The game somehow felt open and claustrophobic at the same time. That feeling is now worse after botw, but I can't wait to go back to it.

Not much; though Zelda's diversity in its side characters is a great step for Nintendo as a whole.

Why doesn't "Q1 this year has been great for the industry, including Horizon's" have anything to do with the content of the video? I'm adding to the point, yet you think I'm trying to deflect it... for some reason.

Because that's not what the video is specifically about. That's great, and I agree, but it's irrelevant to Jim's points about Horizon.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
So the last thread was locked because so many people derailed it, and it seems like this is suffering the same fate. Instead of locking the thread wouldn't it be better for a mod to tell derailers to stop?

Yep. I already got one week ban recently for complaining about the modding, but honestly if it doesn't improve I'm done with this community anyway.

Far too much just closing threads that get derailed by a few people, rampant shit posting etc. That just causes the problems to continue as the problem members aren't being warned/suspended/banned and has really lowered the level of discourse on here from where it was a couple years back when problem posters got banned much more consistently. I get that it's harder as the site is so huge and active and always growing. If that's the limitation, then they just need to add more mods to stay on top of things, build in a report post feature instead of relying on members to PM a mod (with no knowledge of which mod to PM, who's more active etc.).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Gameplay wise Horizon seems very by the numbers, like the Tomb Raider reboot, but open world. However, the setting is pretty fucking cool (robo dinos), Aloy seems like a much better protagonist than Lara (robot dinos!!) and it has robot dinosaurs. I've heard it does what it does extremely competently though. And if more studios can make successful new IPs that's better than churning out sequel after sequel. I didn't exactly hear glowing things about the last Killzone, but bam, Dev gets to work on something brand new and they suddenly seem to be able to make something relatively fresh and (going by reception) highly enjoyable.

Dear Jim,

We fucking get it.

He's really become insatiable over the last year.

Just let it go and stop bringing the attention back to it....
The amount of backlash is precisely why he needs to talk about a game he loved more. A 7 doesn't make Zelda a bad game. He just had more fun with his other videogame. It doesn't diminish anyone's​ fun with Zelda and the backlash he got was ridiculous. People need to learn to accept different opinions, at the very least with regards to something as inconsequential to their lives as god damn videogames.

Not that I think that's why he made the video. No I think​ he just really loves Horizon, a lot. To be perfectly honest my first impression was that he did it for "shock value" but I thought about it some and realised how dumb I was.

killatopak

Man Jim likes to add fuel to the Zelda vs Horizon debate for future videos heh?

But yea I agree that a new IP doing well is always good, but I would have just hoped it would be a new IP I care about.

I'm not really seeing the versus in anything. Anybody who says so is already looking for it even when it's not there.

That's incredibly selfish but I can relate somewhat as somewhat who was not able to buy other systems until this gen. The point is, we should be happy something relatively risky like Horizon is successful since they could set precedent a series of games that could be one that you care about.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What single player game has micro transactions?

Dead Space 3 for one. I'm sure there are more but that's the one that comes to mind immediately.

edit: the new Deus Ex also lets you buy piraxis kits (level up points).

MTC100

Banned
Jim should learn to let go, it's clear that he is milking this subject because he lost ideas for videos, I guess the next one will finally be about another topic, most likely Mass Effect.

Horizon is well executed, however it's not in the same league as Zelda, there's a reason why Breath of the Wild has 58 "perfect" 100 scores at metacritic as of now, something no game achieved before, the 70 from Jim doesn't mean more or less than every single 100 the game got, just opinions. However Zelda shows it has what it takes to appeal to the masses, so it seems to do something right.

That said, I'm glad Sony had the courage to try something completely new and put that much PR effort into the IP to make it a stable in the industry, especially when you know the developer behind it is famous for their Killzone games, I tried hard to like but never really enjoyed as they felt bland and never took risks with the standard FPS formula.

Gameplay wise Horizon seems very by the numbers, like the Tomb Raider reboot, but open world. However, the setting is pretty fucking cool (robo dinos), Aloy seems like a much better protagonist than Lara (robot dinos!!) and it has robot dinosaurs. I've heard it does what it does extremely competently though. And if more studios can make successful new IPs that's better than churning out sequel after sequel. I didn't exactly hear glowing things about the last Killzone, but bam, Dev gets to work on something brand new and they suddenly seem to be able to make something relatively fresh and (going by reception) highly enjoyable.
Gameplay against the robots isn'tt really by the numbers though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I really liked Horizon, haven't finished it because of Zelda, but open world done right doesn't really fit the game from my experience. The game somehow felt open and claustrophobic at the same time. That feeling is now worse after botw, but I can't wait to go back to it.

Very true. That's just a matter of preference.

I do love Zelda, but I prefer smaller open worlds that are more packed with content I want to engage with. I get bored just exploring and traversing. That's just me though, and I prefer linear games to open world ones most of the time anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom