• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Horizon Zero Dawn's Success is Good(No matter who you are) - Jimquisition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
We get it Jim, you REALLY like Horizon...

holy crap

I just feel this whole zelda/horizon thing has gotten out of hand and fanbases do nothing but throw rocks at each other

Excited to check this out. Thanks for posting it. Horizon and GG deserve major kudos, and the more people that realize the greater impact of the game, the better.

wiibomb

good episode, although I still feel hard to believe Horizon didn't had a season pass or DLC planed well before release, these things needs to be planed like that before being finished.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Are you ok?

you seem perturbed.

I get jim likes horizion, i havent played it yet but i'm sure its a fine game but, but after all the zelda kerfuffle and the horizon controversy accusations already lobbed at him, he keeps bringing it up...atleast wait a while so the fanbases calm down

TheSun

I stand with Ganon!

But yeah, it's wonderful that Horizon is getting good reception all around.

The cynic in me thinks MT's are coming after the success of the title.

killatopak

I get jim likes horizion, i havent played it yet but i'm sure its a fine game but, but after all the zelda kerfuffle and the horizon controversy accusations already lobbed at him, he keeps bringing it up...atleast wait a while so the fanbases calm down
Haven't played Horizon as well but I've played Zelda. I watched the vid but I don't think he mentioned Zelda in the vid much aside from a few things regarding the ddos.

wapplew

I stand with Ganon!

But yeah, it's wonderful that Horizon is getting good reception all around.

The cynic in me thinks MT's are coming after the success of the title.

Could happen when they add multiplayer mode as DLC or sequels.

Elandyll

Banned
Again, It's not about Zelda, even if he expects people to bring it up.

People bringing Zelda continuously is what got the other thread locked.

HardRojo

Would you guys care to articulate why that is?
Zelda.
I just want this stupid Zelda v. Horizon dispute to end already, but it won't. I just became part of it with this post.

Man I can't wait to play Horizon, and I know I'll make damn sure I play Zelda when I get a Switch, but please, let's stop undermining one game's success because another exists, at least elaborate.

Acerac

Banned
In all fairness to Jim Horizon does make a lot of good decisions. It's certainly not perfect but it avoids many common mistakes and is a stronger game for it.

A summary for people who won't watch the video for whatever reason:

It isn't about Horzion > Zelda. It's about how a new IP with a female lead selling well means that studios shouldn't be put off for trying new ideas. Also fuck microtranscations.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Good listen. Agree with most of his points. Especially how great it is to have a new IP that Sony gave the budget and time to polish and turn into a great game, and how it avoided micro transactions and season passes and other annoying trends.

It's my game of the generation so far, and being a new IP with a great story and characters is a huge part of that. I love BOTW as well, but it's still Zelda and not as good of a mesh with my personal tastes as I'm not huge on freedom and exploration for explorations sake. It's a testament to BOTW's quality that I like it as much as I do when strong, narrative-driven games like Horizon and pure gameplay-focused games (racers and what not) are my main jams these days.

''No matter who you are''
Seriously, what does that even mean?

Not everyone is one sided, I am a huge PlayStation gamer but that doesn't mean I want Zelda: BOTW to fail. In fact, It's now in my top 5 of all time.
Vice versa, I don't think any PC/Xbox/Nintendo fan want Horizon to fail either.

I genuinely like Jim but I hate how he always focus on that one small group of immature fanboys or ''haters'', and then act like everyone who also loves the game is one of them. As if there's some underground Horizon hating force consists of Nintendo and Microsoft fanboys.
He feels like the type of person who would say ''Gamers are horrible peoples'' just because of the Gamergate controversy.

(I agree with most of the points he made in the video though, but that title really annoys me.)

killatopak

He brings few good points about the industry adopting microtransaction a lot recently especially with full priced games. I'm glad Horizon didn't do it and I wish every other game going forward will follow that as well.

Nintendo is as good as it gets regarding those and dlcs. I hope other devs follow the quality of their post game content as well.

Can we all agree both games are godly and enjoy his video? It has a lot of good points and I don't even like he guy.

Most people do. It's a very small subset of idiots on both sides stirring up trouble and others are trying to make it seem like it's a bigger thing than it is. The whole thing has been ridiculous.

This thread got locked last time, and with good cause. Jim needs to get off this BotW vs Horizon train and move onto something else.

It isn't about Horzion > Zelda. It's about how a new IP with a female lead selling well means that studios shouldn't be put off for trying new ideas. Also fuck microtranscations.
Dunno how a game using the Ubisoft formula is a good example of new IP trying new ideas.

Also pretty sure the lead character is from a Pixar movie.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
''No matter who you are''
Seriously, what does that even mean?

That regardless of whether you like HZD or games like it, regardless of any loyalties or dislikes you have of Sony etc. it's a good thing for a game that's a new IP, lacks microtransactions and a season pass, launched with great performance and no major bugs etc. to have 1) gotten a big budget and a lot of time in the oven from a major publisher and 2) is selling well and 3) has been very well received by critics and gamers.

It means that hopefully we'll get more new IPs that are given big budgets and needed development time, and that some will be in genres you like if this wasn't your cup of tea. It means that maybe some publishers will top cramming in microtransactions and season passes in every game etc. In short, it's could start a trend that's beneficial for all gamers/consumers.

DMONKUMA

This thread got locked last time, and with good cause. Jim needs to get off this BotW vs Horizon train and move onto something else.

Dunno how a game using the Ubisoft formula is a good example of new IP trying new ideas.

Hmmm. Really now?

When even mods can't be bothered to watch videos, LOL.

TankRizzo

Banned
You haven't actually played Horizon, have you?

Gee, probably not.

YVDbpla.jpg

Maybe watch the video.

Who put a weasel up your butt? Also, that doesn't prove that you played it, just that you own it.

Also, why isn't my quote of you green on your monitor?

Elandyll

Banned
He brings few good points about the industry adopting microtransaction a lot recently especially with full priced games. I'm glad Horizon didn't do it and I wish every other game going forward will follow that as well.

Nintendo is as good as it gets regarding those and dlcs. I hope other devs follow the quality of their post game content as well.
Yeah I think most people were surprised when the game launched with no trace of micros, or even pre announced DLC or Season Pass (which Jim hates with passion).

jacobeid

Banned
Dear Jim,

We fucking get it.

He's really become insatiable over the last year.

Just let it go and stop bringing the attention back to it....

Would you guys care to articulate why that is?

The level design felt a little bit bland (with sometimes invisible walls) and Aloy movement is not really great for it.

And activities are not as great as he describes, ok tall necks are funs but enemy camps, cauldrons or sidequest are not the greatest thing in the game, sometimes a mixed bag, sometimes really bad. (not to mention that fights against humans are... ugh)

RootCause

We get it Jim, you REALLY like Horizon...

holy crap

I just feel this whole zelda/horizon thing has gotten out of hand and fanbases do nothing but throw rocks at each other
It isn't about Zelda vs horizon. Also, you can ignore horizon threads if it bothers you that much.

andycapps

It's not really the Ubisoft formula though, it's actually a good game.

But seriously, unlike Ubisoft games, there is no DLC or microtransactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom