• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: The Next Generation Turns 30 This Thursday

Snaku

Banned
tumblr_orys79dJ871vg9m1ro1_1280.gif

Just finished watching this. So fucking good. I miss when the Borg were a deadly threat. That last shot of Picard haunted by the shit he just experienced is amazing.

I started watching TNG when one of the local stations was airing reruns every weeknight. The show was in its 5th season at that point I think.

Before that I was pretty dismissive of Star Trek, but TNG got me into it and from there I watched DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, and eventually went back and watched TOS and even the animated series.

The episode that really got me into it was "Clues" (the ship falls through a wormhole and it seems afterward like they were only inside for a few moments, but the crew start noticing strange things that point to there being more to it than that). I don't remember if that's the first one I saw, but I it was the first one I really got into.

No it didn’t. The last scene is Wesley, Beverly and Picard in the transporter room. Beverly grabs him and almost sheds a tear but pulls it together “Dress warmly on those other planes of existence.” After Wes beams down to the planet Picard walks out and she stares at the transporter pad before leaving herself. Seems appropriate.

Beverly knew the traveler was trustworthy. He helped save her from her bubble reality.

You're right. For some reason I was thinking it ended with this scene not unfreezing: https://youtu.be/fuZsy_dw-hY I just checked on Netflix. I think I've made the same mistake before.

I started watching TNG when one of the local stations was airing reruns every weeknight. The show was in its 5th season at that point I think.

Before that I was pretty dismissive of Star Trek, but TNG got me into it and from there I watched DS9, Voyager and Enterprise, and eventually went back and watched TOS and even the animated series.

The episode that really got me into it was "Clues" (the ship falls through a wormhole and it seems afterward like they were only inside for a few moments, but the crew start noticing strange things that point to there being more to it than that). I don't remember if that's the first one I saw, but I it was the first one I really got into.

I love Clues. It was fun watching Data act all suspicious until we learn he was just doing as ordered.

I still remember the time my uncle babysit us and All Good things just aired and he brought it on tape but I couldn't watch it because it was past my bedtime. But it was ok for my older brother to stay up and watch.

Man, always something to remind you of how old you are. I was fourteen when this hit.

It sucking for a year and then slowly getting better.

Yep. I was hyped about it until my enthusiasm deflated with the pilot, but I still watched every episode on the original broadcast through the first season and a half or so when it started really coming together. Was really weird to be getting great Trek movies at the time (not counting the awful V a year or more later, anyway) and being let down by the new show, especially as the original series was in eternal syndication rerun mode later on in the same night to remind you of what was. Thankfully, it did end up surpassing TOS.

Good show. Had a rough start, and I haven't seen all the episodes, but it was really really solid with a good cast and some real character dynamics I could get behind. All Good Things Must End is still one of the best finales ever.

Wish I was around when it premiered in syndication. "Tea, Earl Grey, hot".

I was fourteen when it first aired, and our entire family made a point to all watch it when it came on, even though I was the only Trekkie in the family. I'd watched TOS (before it came to be called TOS) in re-runs for as long as I could remember, and my first Halloween costume was Spock.

Overall, I liked it, especially the part of the story regarding Q and his trial of humanity. The rest of it took some getting used to, especially the look and tone of the series. We were still getting TOS movies at that time, and the differences between the two were jarring. That first season was rough, but it got better with time. I remember that a lot of the fanbase was against the new show and were skeptical of it for awhile, but that had died out by season three of TNG.

By the time Star Trek VI came out, TNG was running on all cylinders and they were borrowing the Enterprise-D's engine room to use as the Enterprise-A's.

I was fourteen when it first aired, and our entire family made a point to all watch it when it came on, even though I was the only Trekkie in the family. I'd watched TOS (before it came to be called TOS) in re-runs for as long as I could remember, and my first Halloween costume was Spock.

Overall, I liked it, especially the part of the story regarding Q and his trial of humanity. The rest of it took some getting used to, especially the look and tone of the series. We were still getting TOS movies at that time, and the differences between the two were jarring. That first season was rough, but it got better with time. I remember that a lot of the fanbase was against the new show and were skeptical of it for awhile, but that had died out by season three of TNG.

By the time Star Trek VI came out, TNG was running on all cylinders and they were borrowing the Enterprise-D's engine room to use as the Enterprise-A's.

Not just the engine room. Ten-Forward doubled as the president's office and the transporter rooms were also the ones from TNG

kess

Well, to be fair LeVar Burton was a terrible Spock.

(and the first season of TNG is mediocre)

The first season of TOS blows out the first of TNG but Patrick Stewart always gave the show a sense of dignity. Season 3 was when it really started to cook.

The Inner Light, Family, Yesterday's Enterprise... what a great show.

Not just the engine room. Ten-Forward doubled as the president's office and the transporter rooms were also the ones from TNG

Reusing sets (and effects shots FWIW) is a time-honored Trek tradition.

For example, ship sets designed for Star Trek: Phase II were used in The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan, then repurposed into Enterprise-D sets.

painted-corridor-sti.jpg

Reusing sets (and effects shots FWIW) is a time-honored Trek tradition.

For example, ship sets designed for Star Trek: Phase II were used in The Motion Picture and The Wrath of Khan, then repurposed into Enterprise-D sets.

painted-corridor-sti.jpg

Which were then repurposed back into ship sets for the Enterprise A in Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country.

MXjQxUt.jpg

and by "repurposed" I mean "fuck we're outta money, just go film some pickups on the TNG sets" (at least for V)

And I think the Observation Lounge in TNG was redressed into the Dining Room on the Ent-A. Pretty much the only set on the A that wasn't a redress was the bridge if I'm not mistaken.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the commercial is transfered from analogue tape -- there are several parts where the audio warps and I think that might be one of them even though it sounds like he is just doing a voice. I laughed too though.
I dunno man that sounds totally intentional and hilarious.

xBladeM6x

Just finished watching this. So fucking good. I miss when the Borg were a deadly threat. That last shot of Picard haunted by the shit he just experienced is amazing.

Anything having to do with Picard and the Borg is A++ television.
I have never seen TNG. Loved DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise (well, most of those last two). Does TNG still hold up?
If you loved DS9, you will absolutely love TNG. They're basically sister shows. Though the focus of the characters and plot in TNG is tighter than DS9. Less lore heavy, and more character driven.

Zoe

I have never seen TNG. Loved DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise (well, most of those last two). Does TNG still hold up?

There are some stinkers in there just like the other series, but the best are the best.

Watched The Inner Light* yesterday, and it still gets me a little misty-eyed.

*(wtf BBCA, you show the remasters for season 7 but not season 5?)

Oriel

Hey, remember that time the British Govt ordered the removal of a TNG episode from the Beeb? All because of Data's IRA comment. Good times. Weird times actually. Like also the Tory govt demanding "Ninja" be replaced with "Hero" in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon series. Lol.

I’ve gone through this series multiple times over. Might do it again now for the 30th.

Might do this too. Did it a few years back, but skipped season one and most of season 2. Despite a few stinkers, a few too many time travel episodes, and holodeck shenanigans, 3-7 are top-notch storytelling.

Top Bottom