• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm I've got a conspiracy!

So polytron just tweeted
https://twitter.com/Polytron/status/897932190587265025
"Superhypercube will be on tv tonight" as a part of Waypoint.vice having a half hour segment on the DisneyXD channel tonight at 10pm.

Could this maybe bring some news for the steam port? :D

Synth

Is there any place to get hold of Oculus Home icons to use with external apps?

I picked up Rez Infinite and Batman Arkham VR on Steam, but would like to replace the generic store assets with the ones that I'd usually have if I'd bought it on Oculus Home. It's not difficult to make some makeshift replacements, but I'd like the actual store assets if possible.

I'm a bit particular when it comes to small things like these, to the point where it'd discourage me from buying off Steam in favour of Oculus otherwise, but I'd rather have singleplayer experiences on Steam now that they show in Oculus Home, as it'd allow me to share them with my brothers that also have Rifts.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Hmm I've got a conspiracy!

So polytron just tweeted

"Superhypercube will be on tv tonight" as a part of Waypoint.vice having a half hour segment on the DisneyXD channel tonight at 10pm.

Could this maybe bring some news for the steam port? :D

Hopefully so. They confirmed a Vive port many months ago but no details

low-G

I picked up Killing Floor Incursion.

So far my impressions are soso. Doesn't hit you with that same strong first impression as Arizona Sunshine at all. Instead there's an overly long forced tutorial. (I'm going to be making a lot of comparisons to other games, but that's where my thinking is right now)

Storytelling is hokey at best. More nonsensical than usual. I really don't think they spent any serious time writing for the game. It's intentionally silly and loose, but in a way we've seen in a lot of games before. I'm not finding the clever wit that Killing Floor 2 had yet either. Wish they would have stripped it all out, at least so far. Takes away from the game.

Graphics are just OK. Not as nice as Arizona Sunshine by far (but I've only been in a few areas). The zombie designs are probably the creepiest I've seen in a game, so that part is really strong.

Gameplay so far kinda trickles enemies out at you and then will throw a larger number of tougher enemies. Doesn't give that same Arizona Sunshine feel of the waves of zombies (that Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising also did so well). Not KF2-like either seemingly. Lots of respawning enemies (or rather, zombies that just spawn in with a "VR style", they can even spawn right in front of you), enemies wander about and head towards you, they don't mill about like in the before mentioned games. Gunplay is looser than Arizona Sunshine, maybe even looser than Robo Recall, so making a headshot doesn't feel rewarding, but it's not terrible in this way either. One of my biggest challenges so far is actually finding where my holsters are, but maybe that's because I manually chose waist level when chest holsters is default. I'll definitely switch it back next time I go in.

Strongest impression is the sound. They did really well here. Some of the best (traditional) sound design I've heard. Gunshots feel much more powerful than other games (still not lifelike of course). I really like the ambient sounds though. Goes a really long way. Voice acting is completely forgettable, but not a Dead Effect 2 level of garbage.

Finally, I've already ran into a fair amount of glitches. The most severe made me quit. My grip was glitched up so I was holding a handgun but it was facing backwards (comically so), and the game wouldn't let me drop it. I couldn't even use the in-game menus because of this. Couldn't fire. Basically a softlock. Not good.

To bring it back to Killing Floor series, KF2 feels a lot more satisfying, but these are still my first impressions. If anything I'd say it feels more like Resident Evil 7 in the way you move and the environment (first real level), not in the pacing or fidelity. (Haven't played RE7 VR).

I'll go back to it, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so. Oh well. Pretty early first impressions, so I do hope it picks up.

Oh yeah, the game is definitely a little scary, unlike all of the above mentioned games. I mean I find spring peepers and a forest at night relaxing, but even still those zombies are creepy.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I can't get over how good Rec Room is.

I'm also getting close to the end of Lone Echo and I'm kind of disappointed. I dunno - while the experience is polished, it feels really basic and feels like if you fleshed out a tech demo into a full game. It's probably the only VR game I regret buying.

ArtHands

Out of Ammo Death Drive and Killing Floor Incursion release today...too many games

Thx low-G for the detailled Killing Floor Incursion impression, that it seemingly falls short to Arizona Sunshine is a huge warning sign to me (as I have mixed feelings about AZ already).

Lakuza

Thanks for the impressions on killing floor. I'm most likely gonna pass on it now.

EDIT: How long does VRcovers normally take to deliver an order? I ordered mine on August 10th and its at Deutsche Post Bangkok, Thailand,
Processing at Facility since the 14th.

Lord Phol

Really weird choice not to have the standard wave based mode in Killing Floor Incursion. Doesn't really look worth the asking price at the moment, hope they add that in later.

tengiants

I bought an oculus as I've been getting more and more into sim racing, and wanted to upgrade my setup to triple monitors or VR.

I'm getting consistent 90 fps and still getting really sick in Assetto Corda and iracing.

I understand some people can play these racing games without any problem, I am apparently not one of them. Neither is a single person I've let try the thing. Is there any chance I will be able to enjoy this?

Only these racing games are making us sick so far and it's really the primary reason I bought the thing. Kinda disappointed.

ArtHands

The price for this game is laughable, 20 would be pushing it already.

I just purchased and tried this game, but apparently it is not playable on Vive despite what the Steam page said.
Regardless i have requested a refund. I ony buy it to verify the htc vive compatibility and the motion support label.

SimplexPL

That sucks, these date about the game should be verified and 100% accurate at all times!

I have this game in Family Sharing, so I will check if does or does not support vive. It definitely works via revive.

MaDKaT

I bought an oculus as I've been getting more and more into sim racing, and wanted to upgrade my setup to triple monitors or VR.

I'm getting consistent 90 fps and still getting really sick in Assetto Corda and iracing.

I understand some people can play these racing games without any problem, I am apparently not one of them. Neither is a single person I've let try the thing. Is there any chance I will be able to enjoy this?

Only these racing games are making us sick so far and it's really the primary reason I bought the thing. Kinda disappointed.

Is it actual 90 or reprojected 90? I had a similar issue with both games on Vive. Couldnt complete a section or lap on either. Tried forcing myself to continue and wasnt able to even look at the headset without feeling nauseous for a few days. I was getting no missed frames warnings but after some digging I found I it was forcing full time reprojection. Turned out to be an Nvidia driver issue and rolling it back solved it.

tengiants

Is it actual 90 or reprojected 90? I had a similar issue with both games on Vive. Couldnt complete a section or lap on either. Tried forcing myself to continue and wasnt able to even look at the headset without feeling nauseous for a few days. I was getting no missed frames warnings but after some digging I found I it was forcing full time reprojection. Turned out to be an Nvidia driver issue and rolling it back solved it.

I'm pretty sure it's actual. When I first got the rift a few days ago I tried it with a GTX770 and I could play for 10-15 mins without much sickness.

I upgraded to the GTX 1080 and it got a lot worse. I haven't had time to poke around the driver settings or tried any previous versions. Maybe there is something with this card/driver combo causing it.

MaDKaT

@tengiants

If it helps. I have had some pretty inconsistent performance with my 1080 on the 384+ drivers and Im current running 382.53 with far better results.

low-G

Halfway through Killing Floor now. Impressions not improved. Ran into more bugs too (a checkpoint where the boss fight would not trigger, had to backtrack). It's very, very short too. Unless the next levels are a lot longer, Arizona Sunshine is much longer, even ignoring its arena modes.

Really wondering about the graphics actually. It's as if they started with a mobile game and ported it to PC. Or maybe they're planning on releasing a 120Hz PSVR version that has super sampling?

cakefoo

Ginger candy. Good short term solution for sessions until you get your legs.

Compared to, say, Superhot VR or Robo Recall, how good is Lone Echo?

I'd normally have bought it instantly, but it has Denuvo and that's putting me off.

stoke1863

Just finished Lone Echo. Absolutely stunning game and will go right up there on my top 5 games of the year.

It's a shame it sort of ends right as it's starting to ramp up but otherwise I really enjoyed it.

Took me around 7 hours to play through.

I'd normally have bought it instantly, but it has Denuvo and that's putting me off.

Kind of apples to oranges. Lone Echo is more of a VR adventure game while Superhot and Robo Recall are straight arcade action. Still, Lone Echo is definitely on my GoTY list for this year so far.

Shit, Airtone might be the best thing I've played in VR.

I'm not someone who is typically into these Japanese rhythm games, but this one just feels incredible to play.

low-G

Lone Echo is fantastic. It's the #2 VR game for me under Robo Recall, and I've played 100-some VR titles now.

It's an adventure game with 'challenges' you just do (no chickens with pulleys), and lots of secrets. So it might traditionally be called a 'walking simulator' but it makes AMAZING use of VR and the storytelling is some of the best in gaming. The locomotion system is revolutionary, I mean this game will be referenced 30 years from now with regards to how you can completely transform gameplay with an implementation of movement. When I stop playing I think I'm still floating around in low gravity for several minutes, floating around my house, using walls to guide my momentum. It looks amazing (might be the best looking VR game) and there's enough exploration of the mechanics that I was completely satisfied by the end.

If they made a SP/MP action shooter out of these mechanics it could be mainstream GOTY and lead a VR sales revolution.

Wardancer

Neo Member
Pavlov just released a new update with some armor rebalancing, burst fire balancing and 2 new weapons. Beretta 9mm as default pistol instead of glock, glock got upgraded with burst and full auto and a sawn off shotgun.

Sawn Off testing

As well as new lobby controls for muting and voting.

So I tried Doom 3 VR mod and that was the first game to make me feel sick. It looks great and I love how the interactions work but the movement was just nauseating.

cakefoo

So I tried Doom 3 VR mod and that was the first game to make me feel sick. It looks great and I love how the interactions work but the movement was just nauseating.
I was really sensitive to motion sickness at first. Even Onward, which is supposedly less nauseating because of the slower movement, made me sick after 5-10 minutes.

Try ginger candy at the start of a session. It worked for me, and after a couple dozen sessions I had my legs.

Zalusithix

Shit, Airtone might be the best thing I've played in VR.

I'm not someone who is typically into these Japanese rhythm games, but this one just feels incredible to play.

Yep, all things considered, it's easily the most polished motion controlled rhythm game in VR. Pity it isn't more popular. There's a some minor annoyances such as having to calibrate the forward facing direction on every song, and not being able to return directly to the song select, but it's otherwise damn near perfect. I'm really looking forward to them adding more to it via DLC - hopefully sooner than later.

That said, how much enjoyment somebody gets out of it will be highly dependent on how much they like the provided music in the game. Such is the trade-off for the tight gameplay and consistently well designed beat maps.

Oh, and an unrelated PSA: Sairento's price is jumping by $5 to $30 on Monday. Short of waiting for the next major Steam sale, this would be the time to get it for anybody interested.

Yeah, I love Airtone even though I suck at it on the above-medium difficulties lol. Could for sure use some QoL improvements, but it's one of my favorite VR games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Exact same story with me this wednesday. Gave it a try. Played about an hour and a half. Maybe 20 minutes in a got a quick minor wave of nausea that I pushed through then it was kind of back of the mind present throughout. Once I took the headset off it washed over me and I felt my mouth start watering and my jaw feel sour. That also lessened up quick, but there was a very mild nausea that lasted me about another hour.

I thought I had an iron stomach but that game did some work on me. Really well developed honestly though.

ArtHands

Remaining library for the rest of August

August

• Chocolate
  • Altar Show
  • ZomDay
  • VR BattleshipYAMATO
  • The Music Room
  • Hop Step Sing! Kimamani Summer Vacation (HQ Edition)
  • FormulaVR
  • Aquila Bird Flight Simulator
  • StickDodgeVR
  • Horror Of The Deep
  • Treasure Hunt VR
  • Ungrounded: Ripple Unleashed VR
  • Formula E: Grand Prix
  • Wingless
  • Little Earth
  • The Stone
  • Chroma Lab
  • Fall Fear Fly Redemption
  • Throne of the Dead
  • Rollercoaster Xperience
  • Hangry Bunnies From Mars
  • Soldiers of Freedom
  • ChefU
  • Maze Run VR
  • Cosmic Awakening VR
  • Spartan VR
  • Gravity Tunnel VR
  • TurnSignal
  • Exit VR
  • Fake World
  • Cat Sorter VR
  • Disassembled
  • VR Darts Zone
  • NEUTRANS
  • The Last Sorcerer
TBA
  • CYBER VR
  • CanBoom VR
  • The Museum of ThroughView
  • Crystal Vibes feat. Ott
  • Remnith
  • CollabHub
  • Space Crawl
  • Infinity Fall
  • Purgation
  • OfficeBots: Reality Bytes
  • Phantom Warfare
  • MetaWorld – The VR MMO Simulation
  • ANGEST (Oculus Rift)

Exact same story with me this wednesday. Gave it a try. Played about an hour and a half. Maybe 20 minutes in a got a quick minor wave of nausea that I pushed through then it was kind of back of the mind present throughout. Once I took the headset off it washed over me and I felt my mouth start watering and my jaw feel sour. That also lessened up quick, but there was a very mild nausea that lasted me about another hour.

I thought I had an iron stomach but that game did some work on me. Really well developed honestly though.

I'm really excited to try it out, but I can't find any up to date info on where to download or how to install. Any recommendations?

Lakuza

I think the next vr game I'm likely to buy on day 1 is Arktika.1 (if it has free movement in like its now rumoured to). Actual next game I will buy is audioshield as I'm interested in the exercise side effect from it XD

Wardancer

Neo Member
I think the next vr game I'm likely to buy on day 1 is Arktika.1 (if it has free movement in like its now rumoured to). Actual next game I will buy is audioshield as I'm interested in the exercise side effect from it XD

Free movement in arktika? That seems unlikely but very interesting if true. They would have to redesign a lot of their environments for that though?

ArtHands

http://store.steampowered.com/app/682960/Purgation/
Purgation just popped up on Steam for VR, coming to Vive this month

Its an indie horror adventure VR title. Seems we are getting more horror vr titles recently. Dont knock twice, Organ Quarter, Home Sweet Home for the next few weeks. Chain Man got released a short while ago, and Horror of the Deep gets VR support today

Now that I have a better internet connection I'm kinda open to the idea of a photgrammetry Resident Evil game. There are some Steam VR Home environemnts of abandoned places which are kinda creepy, they really could be terrifying with some small tweaks (music/sound/fog/fake dynamic lighting).
I'd imagine laserscanning real places saves a ton of cash and work when creating environments for a game, as you won't need to create anything from scratch, throw some pathfinding in there for enemies, some shooting and slight puzzles and you have a game that looks nearly photorealistic (and is probably several 100 of gigabytes in size, or even terabytes lol).

Apart from it being a rather static environment and the insane huge filesize, I wonder why nobody ever tried their hand at something like this? Maybe those hurdles are already enough to not give it a go or there also could be more reasons, maybe license reasons as you can't just scan real places and put them in games?

Anyway, just a thought.

Top Bottom