• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

gutshot

FOX MLS doubleheader this Sunday:

MLSonFOX-v5.jpg

I assume this is split up in regions to avoid local NFL broadcasts?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
All I can hope for is that when we cause the upper deck to collapse, we take everyone associated with the Scum with us. Except for the people that make the pupusas, they're cool by me.

How is there not a pupusa guy at RBA? This seems like a massive oversight.

Icolin

Banned
The football lines and Patriots logos all over this field 🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮🚮

Gilette Stadium, RFK, and Yankee Stadium are embarrassments. It's worrying that only RFK seems to be on the way out in the near future.

we picked a great time for our form to suddenly go in the toilet

Injuries, resting guys, etc. Wednesday was a weird fluky night and this was a road game with some 2nd stringers. I'm not terribly worried, but we better get off on the right foot next Saturday.

Cystm

we picked a great time for our form to suddenly go in the toilet

Welcome to our world, MF. Only we don't have the nice cushion you have while your key players recover.

Chicago “pizza” isn’t pizza. End of discussion.

Congrats on Pontius coming alive, finally. You guys looked pretty good. We look like shit without Basti. Like a bunch of petulant children. Accam should've scored. Niko needs to get the fuck over his slump already. GAH.

The pizza comment tho. How fucking dare you, sir.

Also,

How about PATTY THA GOD FUCKING MULLINS scoring 4 goals in one game. He instantly became the second highest scorer on the team hahaha.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it too much to ask for a 4-3-3 with our best 11?

DKdCIujXkAcjtPo.jpg:large

I mean, I'd put Colin in here over Escobar but it's still a damn good 11 that should strike fear into the rest of the league. That front 3 would be would be crazy productive.

I just feel like this look is too much to ask for some reason.

Cystm

Is it too much to ask for a 4-3-3 with our best 11?

DKdCIujXkAcjtPo.jpg:large

I mean, I'd put Colin in here over Escobar but it's still a damn good 11 that should strike fear into the rest of the league. That front 3 would be would be crazy productive.

I just feel like this look is too much to ask for some reason.

Why did you put them in Atlanta United kits tho?

s9WEuV0.png

LEAKED: Nike USA 2018 World Cup Kit Design

Still want the Gold Cup kits to live on, but the home kit in this design is alright too

Cystm

Villalba upper 90 laser. Incredible goal. Pulled Montreal's pants down.

Kinda wish Montreal had to wear their home kits too.

An Atlanta game in a brand new 70k seat stadium, broadcast live on Fox OTA. MLS may not be big four yet, but it sure is starting to feel like it.

Though I feel obligated as a New Orleanian to say #FuckAtlanta.

Not sure this was posted before, but Providence Park will be undergoing renovations starting this Fall and being finalized in 2019. It will add ~4000 seats.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...providence-park-renovation-project-start-fall

People on that thread say the stadium could get to 35K+, but it would take a lot of negotiations to get there. Portland could certainly fill a much bigger stadium, IMO.

An Atlanta game in a brand new 70k seat stadium, broadcast live on Fox OTA. MLS may not be big four yet, but it sure is starting to feel like it.

Though I feel obligated as a New Orleanian to say #FuckAtlanta.

As opposed to "Big 4", people will start saying "Big 5". I feel MLS would need to sign and produce young players consistently. Getting David Villas and Thiery Henrys at the end of their career was okay, but they won't get respect until they can sign someone like Neymar, Messi, or Ronaldo in their prime. For that to happen, they need to continue expanding and getting that big TV contract and bigger sponsorship money. That's what Garber plans to do by 2022. The 6 year, 700 MM deal with Adidas and the 4B TV deal from MP&S that MLS turned down sure shows the potential investors are seeing in the league and where it is going. I used to say it might get there by 2026, if the US gets that WC, but I'm now saying that Garber's 2022 goal of being one of the Top soccer leagues in the world (and "Big 5" in the US) is certainly possible.

Dartastic

Orlando are getting schooled by the pace of Asprilla and Mattocks.
Good win.
Not sure this was posted before, but Providence Park will be undergoing renovations starting this Fall and being finalized in 2019. It will add ~4000 seats.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017...providence-park-renovation-project-start-fall

People on that thread say the stadium could get to 35K+, but it would take a lot of negotiations to get there. Portland could certainly fill a much bigger stadium, IMO.
There’s no way we will hit that without removing the south end which will never happen because the Mac (aka the south building) is owned by the super rich here. It’s not happening.

I have no idea where we will hit 35 k. It’s not happening.

Good win.

There’s no way we will hit that without removing the south end which will never happen because the Mac (aka the south building) is owned by the super rich here. It’s not happening.

I have no idea where we will hit 35 k. It’s not happening.

Right. That's the politics I was talking about, buying MAC and some other stuff which would prevent the stadium from growing to a larger size. Basically, it's not that they can't grow due to infrastructure limitations, but due to the political side.

$57 million for 4,000 new seats is nuts.

I agree. I would expect 10K seats for $57MM (5.7K per seat) as opposed to 14.25K per seat they are getting. I am not sure how long until the get their money back on this.

Drifters

Providence Park has had a good run, however, we need a proper EPL'ish stadium for Portland. We cannot continue to have 5 year waiting lists for season tickets and we need something that can at a minimum pack 40,000 people--- Hell, I would even say build it to handle 60,000 people because we will eventually get there.

Dartastic

Providence Park has had a good run, however, we need a proper EPL'ish stadium for Portland. We cannot continue to have 5 year waiting lists for season tickets and we need something that can at a minimum pack 40,000 people--- Hell, I would even say build it to handle 60,000 people because we will eventually get there.
I agree that the stadium desperately needs more capacity. I hope that we can figure something out, because I'm confident that we could fill the stadium if we had additional capacity. I just wish we could deal with the MAC somehow, because there's SO much space there to take advantage of, and we just... can't. The location is perfect, the history is perfect, the problem is that we just can't build in the one obvious place to build because it's where the rich go to work out. It sucks.

Icolin

Banned
Out here in Seattle for the game tonight versus the Sounders. I'll try my best to post all caps rants during the game, but that's not guaranteed.

Really looking forward to the match.

Top Bottom