• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

Tom_Cody

My Guardians 2 blu-ray is super backordered on Amazon. Any guess as to why Amazon would have an issue with this? Does this happen with other movies?

My Guardians 2 blu-ray is super backordered on Amazon. Any guess as to why Amazon would have an issue with this? Does this happen with other movies?

Seems to be something going on with guardians 2. I've been trying to get the 4k version and Amazon has completely removed the listing for it. Best Buy is entirely sold out even online

What the hell is going on with that other cinematic universe? Sheesh.

Forgot Inhumans drops next week. Trying to forget again. This digital copy of Guardians 2 oughtta help me forget again.

mreddie

What the hell is going on with that other cinematic universe? Sheesh.

Forgot Inhumans drops next week. Trying to forget again. This digital copy of Guardians 2 oughtta help me forget again.

We shouldn't brag about the DC insanity considering the TVMCU is stumbling all the place.

strafer

thepunisherjbe.jpg

What the hell is this garbage?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
joey%2Bi%2Blike%2Bit%2Bfriends%2Bonacoffeebreak.net.gif

People around here act like the Netflix stuff is comparable in quality to Two Broke Girls or something.

Yeah I'm actually making an effort to remove some of this negativity from my daily internetting, it's just not healthy for me. I watch this stuff to have fun, the moaning and groaning just isn't what I need in my life. RIP MCU thread subscription, and honestly most of my thread subscriptions along with it.

Malyse

Yeah I'm actually making an effort to remove some of this negativity from my daily internetting, it's just not healthy for me. I watch this stuff to have fun, the moaning and groaning just isn't what I need in my life. RIP MCU thread subscription, and honestly most of my thread subscriptions along with it.
You know what, you're right. I'm out too. I love loving things, not being cynical. I thought Defenders was fun as hell and I love 3/4's of every minute.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm a big-o Marvel fanboy but The Defenders was just ok and kinda forgettable. It was definitely no Avengers.

People around here act like the Netflix stuff is comparable in quality to Two Broke Girls or something.

Like what you like and accept others have different opinions. Ain't that hard.

I do feel Defenders as a concept with its cast has potential if they find a better story to put them in. There are moments in the middle two or three episodes that highlight it well. Even Danny is fine here compared to Iron Fist. I think failing to live up to its potential is the real shame. I know some soured on Marvel Netflix as a whole, but I really enjoyed most of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage and am still very much looking forward to Punisher. But Defenders just fell flat. I'd like another season for them to try again.

Isn't it about scale and feel. For all the hype defenders wasn't able to match any of the cw show crossovers or have a moment as hype as Ghost Rider showing up on shield.
I completely disagree. When they all are together for the first time. That was hype. Restaurant was hype. Beating up Danny was hype. Character moments were great.

Ending sucked tho.

Sulik2

I've finally started watching Shield season 3. If you had told me in 2015 after DD and Jessica Jones that shield would end up being better then the defenders or other Netflix shows after those first two I would have called you crazy. Marvel Netflix needs new showrunners.

shingi70

Banned
I completely disagree. When they all are together for the first time. That was hype. Restaurant was hype. Beating up Danny was hype. Character moments were great.

Ending sucked tho.

Luke beating up Danny was Great. The character moments were good but very few things gave me that audible pop that seeing the avengers together for the first time or seeing the Flash and Arrow team up.

My favorite moment of Defenders was Iron Fist/Luke Cage teaming up to RTJ.

Pachimari

You know what, you're right. I'm out too. I love loving things, not being cynical. I thought Defenders was fun as hell and I love 3/4's of every minute.
I'm kind of tired at the whole "let's view it with critical eyes" and stuff like that as well, but then again, it's an enthusiast board, yet it's fucking horrible to read through.

Hell, I fucking liked Iron Fist.

LotusHD

Banned
I've finally started watching Shield season 3. If you had told me in 2015 after DD and Jessica Jones that shield would end up being better then the defenders or other Netflix shows after those first two I would have called you crazy. Marvel Netflix needs new showrunners.

When all is said and done, AoS is what I'm going to look back the most fondly on.

Pachimari

Not that there's anything wrong with criticizing. As I said, it's an enthusiast board, so I don't expect it to be different. It can just get tiresome reading through the shit, so all I said is, that I can see why those posters feel the way they do.

The Tahiti Project... It was a medical procedure which was supposed to be used in case any of the Avengers were killed in battle. They essentially opened the top of his skull and had some weird robot thing with needles poke his brain to stimulate it and plant false memories into his head. Coulson was not aware that he died when he was brought back. They made him think he was in Tahiti on a long vacation. But his real memories started to come back and finally Fury showed up to explain what really happened to him.

Coulson met Lady Sif in an episode and told her not to tell Thor or any of the other Avengers that he was alive. Though now it's kind of ridiculous that he isn't back in the movies yet or that Cap doesn't know. I hope they sneak him in Infinity War just to help Cap out in a scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuxfhB9iBc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWRmEJgDGwY

Well, that was graphic.
He really needs a cameo or something though.

duckroll

I think what is more damning is that Defenders is run by the same guys who did Daredevil S2. As SHIELD showed us, even a poor start can be something passionate creative people learn from and improve on substantially. The jump from S1 to S2 was huge and took A LOT of feedback seriously. Yet not only was DD S2 worse than S1, Defenders from impressions sounds just a lackluster or worse. It's certainly disappointing.

SpaceWolf

Banned

Feeling free to "like what I like" and allowing others to have different opinions doesn't really have anything to do with the point I was making about feeling like there's an increasingly aggrandizing and unremittingly cynical narrative that's started to form around these Netflix shows since the arrival of Iron Fist that basically makes out that all these shows are mostly all unmitigated disasters (even if they're all mostly reviewing fairly positively) and how increasingly, people seem to have found themselves more and more prone to dismissing these projects outright for simply being "Netflix Marvel" without offering any further kind of critical insight or analysis that expands upon such acrimonious opinions. It's absolutely fine that people might not be so keen on shows I might happen to be more forgiving towards, I just feel that people around here have developed a tendency to make out that all these shows are Scott Buck-style trainwrecks which shame the very name of the MCU, when objectively, that's not really the case, even if these shows definitely happen to fall short in certain areas.

A handful of people who apparently visit this OT have already replied to my original post they've found that particular attitude seemingly off-putting which in turn made them feel far less prone to stop by here and engage with this particular community...and honestly, I can't say I really blame them. Since Iron Fist debuted, the atmosphere around here definitely feels like it's gotten way too cynical and sweepingly hyperbolic when it's come to people writing off the TV stuff, and I think some like myself are starting to find it kind of wearing.

Watched episodes 4 and 5 of The Defenders last night, and I'm actually quite enjoying it. I think the first episode was a little slow, but following that I have been having fun with it. Though at times it has been pretty cheesy, but I think the show manages to own it.

Also, I have been really impressed with how this show looks. For starters the way they shot and edited it seems quite creative at times. I also love the way they use colour grading, tying in each characters signature colour has been done in really clever ways. Some shots which show multiple heroes even manages to use the environment to cast different coloured lights on each of them, which whilst not hugely subtle, I kinda like it.

Lastly, it might just be me, but it really seems like the of the best examples of 4K HDR I have seen from Netflix, especially compared to some of the earlier Marvel Netflix shows. Whilst Iron Fist looked quite nice at times, I feel like I notice it way more with this.

I think what is more damning is that Defenders is run by the same guys who did Daredevil S2. As SHIELD showed us, even a poor start can be something passionate creative people learn from and improve on substantially. The jump from S1 to S2 was huge and took A LOT of feedback seriously. Yet not only was DD S2 worse than S1, Defenders from impressions sounds just a lackluster or worse. It's certainly disappointing.
One of the show runners from S2 left early in production though, so it sounds like either the remaining guy was the weak link or there were some production issues at play.

Sulik2

Defenders was ok, it just really didn't have anything going for it outside of the main character interactions which were actually pretty solid. SHIELD even has better action scenes at this point, its crazy. I'm kind of looking forward to Marvel relaunching the TV side in 2019 when they start their streaming service and retiring the netflix line hopefully.

I do feel Defenders as a concept with its cast has potential if they find a better story to put them in. There are moments in the middle two or three episodes that highlight it well. Even Danny is fine here compared to Iron Fist. I think failing to live up to its potential is the real shame. I know some soured on Marvel Netflix as a whole, but I really enjoyed most of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage and am still very much looking forward to Punisher. But Defenders just fell flat. I'd like another season for them to try again.

I agree, Neflix/Marvel have only put out 1 good season and it's DDS1(Even that drug on). the second halves of jessica jones and LC cratered Momentously. Iron Fist was bad, but after a few beers it became a good show to laugh at. For 2 years of buildup The Defenders is just flat at key points.

Marvel television is wasteland status, and with Inhumans coming next month he's about to have 3 STRAIGHT L'S. MarvelTV is toxic and I'm not surprised why Feige wants to stay away.

Glass Rebel

Comic Book audiences are fickle as fuck and this is the age of hot takes. As soon as Marvel TV/Netflix makes another good season (Punisher?), the tune will change around here. It's just a combination of coming off a weak half season in LC, a bad IF season, a middling Defenders and the terror of Scott Buck's Inhumans at the horizon.

The other problem is that people don't care about the GOAT MCU show.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I really enjoyed The Defenders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know it's a reaction based solely on trailers, but it'd be a damn shame if Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie doesn't show up in other movies. If Ragnarok does well, and by all accounts it should, there could be a Thor 4. If not, I'd love to see her in Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

edit: Speaking of Guardians 3,

That Jack Flag disrespect...

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I know it's a reaction based solely on trailers, but it'd be a damn shame if Tessa Thompson's Valkyrie doesn't show up in other movies. If Ragnarok does well, and by all accounts it should, there could be a Thor 4. If not, I'd love to see her in Guardians of the Galaxy 3.
Agreed. She's phenomenal in everything I've ever seen her in, and I'm actually a tad more excited about her in this than I am Cate Blanchett
which feels almost blasphemous

Those set pics of Gwyneth and rdj for Avengers 4 are thowing me in a loop. If thanos fucked their shit up in Infinity War why is bruh chilling with happy and pepper?

Slayven

edit: Speaking of Guardians 3,

That Jack Flag disrespect...

Gunn is dead to me

DMVfan123

Banned
Comic Book audiences are fickle as fuck and this is the age of hot takes. As soon as Marvel TV/Netflix makes another good season (Punisher?), the tune will change around here. It's just a combination of coming off a weak half season in LC, a bad IF season, a middling Defenders and the terror of Scott Buck's Inhumans at the horizon.

The other problem is that people don't care about the GOAT MCU show.

Yep, more excited about Punisher than I have been any Netflix MCU show

Top Bottom