• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who Remembers THE THING videogame? What did you think?

Tambini

Very good attempt at making a Thing game with some problems with the mechanics that others have already said, its worth checking out

I remember reading ign previews and being psyched for this game, then it came out and reviews trashed it. I recall one big criticism was the infection system was broken. Even NPCs go shouldn't be infected, could turn out to be infected.

EGM1966

Great for dea. Controls weren't the best. Some flaws in its mechanics but worth it for the mood and what it attempted.

gabbo

Very good attempt at making a Thing game with some problems with the mechanics that others have already said, its worth checking out

I agree with this. I think a modern take on the mechanics would probably work a lot better with pc/consoles having a lot more under the hood.There would be no need for the mechanics-breaking compromises the Eurogamer article mentions.
A completely dynamic infection system and a means to bring along team members the whole way through would be amazing. Also, a lot less reliance on Half life headcrab-inspired basic enemies.

Just dreaming of what could be done with the settings and mechanics... oh how I want another game in the series

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Love, love, loved the game. It had some issues when it came to controls, but I thought it had some really great ideas that made up for that.

Patchy

Banned
Onw of my favorite games on the PS2.

I would love to play it again. Can you buy a digital download anywhere these days?

Gator86

The problem was that the systems felt like they were working against the attempt to tell a story. I did over all really enjoy it, but the first time I used a blood test on someone (tested negative) and they turned into a thing just around the corner, that really pissed me off.

Like, infect them at a scripted moment if you're going to storyline infect them, but don't just have them turn five seconds after I got a clean blood test.

The trust/paranoia and fear system worked really well, but the game didn't do much to exploit it. Basically, trust should have been something you had to work to maintain, not something you outright earned by giving someone some bullets or health...

because the things that could happen when someone didn't trust you were really cool, but it just didn't ever seem to happen organically.

The big problem was this. Sometimes you'd need to be alone for a section so the game would just Thing out your people regardless of whether they were clean seconds before.

Man, I was hype as fuck about this game back in the day. I preordered it to get the movie and the movie blew my mind. So fucking amazing. Game had a lot of unrealized potential but I mostly remember it as a by the numbers TPS. We need another game in the Thing universe.

I haven't played it in like a decade but I thought it was pretty great at the time even if yeah there was some clunkiness to the mechanics. That paranoia system was a nice change of pace for what would've been another third person shooter. It was a 'sequel', right?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It was way ahead of it's time but the years haven't been kind. I would love to see The Thing get the same videogame treatment that Alien got with Isolation. The closest we've got was probably Dead Space 3 and that was...not good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I remember the game vividly and very fondly.

That's the first game I wrote a walkthrough for on gamefaqs waaaay back in the day lol, was really happy that it ran well on my really old computer at that time. Also, I believe the game has Carpenter's blessing as the official sequel to the movie which is really cool.

The ending left a bit to be desired but overall the game managed to convey the movie's tone extremely well. Sure, once you play through it, you would know how scripted some of the NPC transformations to becoming "The Thing" are but first time through, it's really nerve wracking.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
OT but: what was that one movie similar to The Thing, but it was with highschool students, and they had to sniff cocaine to see who was infected because the monster hated it(lol)?

OT but: what was that one movie similar to The Thing, but it was with highschool students, and they had to sniff cocaine to see who was infected because the monster hated it(lol)?

Sounds like The Faculty

MOV_7d9dda88_b.jpg

I remember watching the THING with my friend at his house on pretty much a weekly basis inbetween Godzilla and other monster movies like Metal Beast and such. But I never got to play the game. :( Wonder if it will ever come back like Alien Isolation did? I would absolutely love it.

Despera

Banned
I thought it was an average game overall. Definitely not one I'm eager to replay. Appreciate the devs efforts though.

A The Thing game by Telltale Games would be interesting. The concept seems to fit the style of an adventure game.

Jackpot

Banned
There's a really funny review out there about all the lies they put on the back of the cover and how your AI comrades would vomit in celebration.

Top Bottom