• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Micro <3 Thread

japtor

666 said:
So this is a better GBA player? How so?
One of the best dpads ever created, and the b-a button angle is much more comfortable.
vatstep said:
In North America, the newer units only come with one black/silver faceplate. The older packages came with three faceplates, but still only one primary color (the other two were colorful, patterned, and kind of ugly).

If you try to find a new/sealed Micro on eBay, for example, you're probably only going to find the newer units with one faceplate.
Yeah, when they dropped the other faceplates is when the price got reduced everywhere. I was a crazy completionist so when I looked for a silver one I got the extra faceplates. That was a major major pain, and that was at least a year ago, maybe two.
Baconbitz said:
Convince me on why I should buy one.

I have a DS and a GBA SP for older games and GBA games. So why should I buy a micro
Size and as mentioned above, better controls. If you have the older SP (or original DS) then the micro screen will shit all over it, except maybe in direct sunlight (go reflective LCD go!).

Cuu

Just wanted to shake my fist at this thread. I just bought a Micro too.

I took a giant risk with it too... doesn't come with charger, seller doesn't know if it works - but it's the 20th Anniversary, and in good shape. *crosses fingers*

**edit: damnit, the seller said they couldnt find the item and refunded it. damn damn damn.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They have.

iqddf4.jpg

G-Pink

Here's a picture of the one I got. I really like it. Started playing Yoshi's Island. Going to be doing a lot of LTTP gaming with it.

HPIM0305.jpg

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
They are the same as the official ones in quality. There's no difference in durability.
The designs are well........I wouldn't use them period. I like my hardware to be a single color as much as possible. But they were like $5 for a set of three back when the Micro first came out. As a collector........yoink!!! :D

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kadey said:
They are the same as the official ones in quality. There's no difference in durability.
You're off your rocker.

The US ones' designs are sloppily screenprinted on and prone to flaking off, plus the viewing area for the screen is improperly centered/lopsided on all of mine.

The faux-Famicom ones have the colors painted onto the inside, so you see the unpainted connector tabs right through the faceplate. They're insanely prone to scratching as well, carry it in your pocket and the next time you see it it'll look like it saw the business end of a Brillo pad.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Shig said:
You're off your rocker.

The US ones' designs are sloppily screenprinted on and prone to flaking off, plus the viewing area for the screen is improperly centered/lopsided on all of mine.

The faux-Famicom ones have the colors painted onto the inside, so you see the unpainted connector tabs right through the faceplate. They're insanely prone to scratching as well, carry it in your pocket and the next time you see it it'll look like it saw the business end of a Brillo pad.

Irony that they aren't from the U.S eh? I got them from Lik-Sang.
All the flaws you mentioned, I don't see at all and as far as I'm concerned, all faceplates, official or not is prone to scratching.
You can even use brawny paper towel and try and clean them and they will get scratches. Something I learned from trying to windex my official lighting themed faceplate that came with the silver micro.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Kadey said:
Irony that they aren't from the U.S eh? I got them from Lik-Sang.
I was talking about the Pelican ones. They are most certainly fom the US.
All the flaws you mentioned, I don't see at all
You can see some of them right there in the pic you posted!
and as far as I'm concerned, all faceplates, official or not is prone to scratching.
Different degrees matter. If a handheld accessory will be scuffed and scratched by something as simple as rubbing against the fabric of your pocket, that is unacceptable.

Arg! Seeing this thread again has inspired me to play my GBM again but I can't find the charger anywhere!!! It looks like the DS phat charger, only the end you plug in is obviously different, right? I found THREE DS phat chargers (and we've only ever had two DS phats in the house ever) but no GBM charger!!!

I want! :'(

pootle

This thread made me drop 30 quid on a micro.
AAAARGH!

(thank you) :D

EDIT: So of course now I'm looking to buy some games. Thanks to the other thread I know what I want. Has anybody ever used www.games-stock.com ?

Or does anybody know a reliable shop that delivers to the UK?

Thanks!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i got mine today, and it's really awesome.....

but i feel like i'm going to go blind staring at the screen. i was hoping it would be as big as my cellphone screen, but it's just smaller than it to make me feel like i'm going crosseyed a little...but it's incredible otherwise.

JoeMartin

I broke down and got a Micro today. And Riviera. And Drilldozer on JPbrowncoat's recommendation (batteryless rumble is a winner so far).

Baconbitz

Banned
blame space said:
You can keep it in your pocket without it looking like you have a boner.
My GBA SP and my DS lite don't make me look like I have a boner. Maybe your pants have a pocket right there but, mine don't. :D

Banned
If I bought a 110v Micro in Australia, being 240v, would that be trouble? Or could I just get a local charger and be done with it?

andymcc

Banned
I just busted out my Famicom one I've had sitting around boxed doing nothing. Going to play some Astro Boy while "working".

Aladuf

Banned
So much Game Boy Micro love! I used to have one and loved it to death but sold it after I got a DS... I've had my eye on one again lately, I may just have to buy it after all.

ausoff2

Neo Member
Does the gameboy micro play original gameboy games? This little handheld monster looks awesome, but without the original gameboy capabilities, this is just a small DS with 1 screen.

Then again 30 bucks is nothing. Might pick it up for the novelty anyway.

Edit: just read the thread, answered my question. Would you kindly disregard my first question.

Aladuf

Banned
ausoff2 said:
Does the gameboy micro play original gameboy games? This little handheld monster looks awesome, but without the original gameboy capabilities, this is just a small DS with 1 screen.

Then again 30 bucks is nothing. Might pick it up for the novelty anyway.

iirc it doesn't play original Game Boy games.

GMB

Banned
Joining the club.

(yeah, clickable)

Also got my hands on Tales of Phantasia yesterday, it was the only GBA game they had. :D

As you can see I also bought myself the famicom version, but I have not unpacked it yet, so there are no pics. Will probably do it later.. I mean, there's no plastic or anything around these boxes so I might as swell take it up and have a look.

(not clickable)
GpgcNZGIM.jpg

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
^

Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (Cosplay Dungeon 2) is the best Tales game on the system. It has the much faster, more combo based battles from the later 2D games starting with Eternia, features a rather extensive job system and is pretty much pure gameplay with little fluff getting in the way of fighting more monsters.

Tanukid

I actually brought mean while back thanks this topic when it was first up. That's NeoGAF peer-pressure for ya. XD
Plus being a pixel art nut, I really admire much of the GBA games designs.
2607717319_33fc59775c.jpg

Also found the kick-arss case in that nice green color after much searching.
2607714649_38275e42f1.jpg

Here's my GBA stock-o-games, with Gunstar Future Heros & Megaman Zero 3 missing in action. I really need to get my hands on Wario Land 4. Anything else I'm missing?
2608542864_282ae4bef1.jpg

Sagitario

Tanukid said:
Here's my GBA stock-o-games, with Gunstar Future Heros & Megaman Zero 3 missing in action. I really need to get my hands on Wario Land 4. Anything else I'm missing?
2608542864_282ae4bef1.jpg

OMG... this pic made me realize how small the screen really is... I don't think I'd be able to play the micro without going blind... I guess my search for a backlit SP will continue...

Any recommendations on key accessories (and where to find them) for the GBM? In particular I've been looking for some kind of 6-10 cart game case to lug my games around.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Farore said:
OMG... this pic made me realize how small the screen really is... I don't think I'd be able to play the micro without going blind... I guess my search for a backlit SP will continue...
It's a LOT better in person than you'd think. Try going to a GameStop or whatever you have in your area and try a used out with an RPG or something (they'll have plenty of Pokémon games) so you can see how easy it is on the eyes even with games that feature lots of text.

Sagitario

Princess Skittles said:
It's a LOT better in person than you'd think. Try going to a GameStop or whatever you have in your area and try a used out with an RPG or something (they'll have plenty of Pokémon games) so you can see how easy it is on the eyes even with games that feature lots of text.

Well, I guess I'll try it when I visit Arizona this month...

GMB said:
play-asia
famicom ver US$ 69.90
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-jo-49-en-70-xdd.html

silver ver US$ 59.90
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-jo-49-en-70-p6e.html

I have the SNES one too of course. :)

Too expensive... :(

japtor

666 said:
If I bought a 110v Micro in Australia, being 240v, would that be trouble? Or could I just get a local charger and be done with it?
Get a local charger,

ALONG WITH SOME PATIENCE YOU IMPATIENT BASTARD.

Anyways Nintendo doesn't do voltage switching adapters for anything it seems. USB chargers should work too.
Aladuf23 said:
iirc it doesn't play original Game Boy games.
Flash cart + GB emulator works fine though, if you don't mind losing your saves from your original carts (I think you can transfer those if you have another device).

It's a lot better than it looks in pictures, but it is still really, really small. If you have bad eyes or long fingers, extended playtimes can be brutal.

Games do look gorgeous on it, though.

Easy_G

Damn you guys. I do NOT have the money to buy one right now. I always loved the Famicom version, but just never bought. I'm seriously thinking about it now. Would be great along with my NES-style gba.

JoeMartin

Drilldozer is actually a pretty sweet little game. I've only made it to the Kuru ruins but this is definitely a cool take on platforming.

And I still love the battery-less rumble. It's a small feature that really adds a lot to the game.

I'm gonna have to start foraging for missed GBA gems at stores now I guess.

Banned
japtor said:
Get a local charger,

ALONG WITH SOME PATIENCE YOU IMPATIENT BASTARD.

hahahah! Hey, it was getting buried and started over 24hours ago. Desperate times!

...thank you!

I gots mine. Two in fact. I may end up selling the extra cause I ordered a third (I know :|), thinking the body on these two were silver. When they say micro, they mean it. Despite being small the screen is quite nice.

IMG_02291.jpg

IMG_02311.jpg

IMG_02331.jpg

Top Bottom