• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom teasing Dragon's Dogma? [Update: Teaser Pictures/Screenshots]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonnyram

Just throwing this out there, but what if this ends up being an open-world action RPG developed by a foreign developer? Would GAF meltdown? lol

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jonnyram said:
Just throwing this out there, but what if this ends up being an open-world action RPG developed by a foreign developer? Would GAF meltdown? lol
Capcom said they're not making any new IPs with foreign developers.

That's why they're outsourcing Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, and Dead Rising instead.

Ashodin

If it ends up being like WKC I'm down. If they slap the BoF name on it it -may- have some sort of heritage (Nina, genes, your character can be a dragon, etc). One can only hope.

Maxrpg said:
If it ends up being like WKC I'm down. If they slap the BoF name on it it -may- have some sort of heritage (Nina, genes, your character can be a dragon, etc). One can only hope.

If its not bland like it sure. I like where info and hints are heading though.

besiktas1

I wish it was called Dark Dragon's Dogma. Then I'd be even more excited bedause it had DDD -> 3D -> 3DS.

At the current way franchises are going though I wouldn't be surprised if BoF turned into a fps...

Clevinger

Nirolak said:
Breath of Fire Director Tweets About Dragon's Dogma
Could Capcom's mystery game really be a new Breath of Fire?
Posted Apr 07, 2011 at 15:24, By Anoop Gantayat

Speculation on the identity of the "DD" teaser site Capcom opened yesterday appears to have centered around a new Breath of Fire game with the subtitle "Dragon's Dogma." The Dragon's Dogma named first appeared in a trademark listing last year.

Here's something that appears to lend some credence to the theory. Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter director Makoto Ikehara posted a Tweet yesterday in which he appears to complain that even though the teaser site used just the name's initials, everyone figured out the official name from the trademark filing.

Ikehara did not actually say that he was referring to the Capcom site from yesterday, but what else could be be talking about?

It does seem that the new game is indeed "Dragon's Dogma." But the real question is, does it have anything to do with Breath of Fire, or is it just a coincidence that the director of the last Breath of Fire game happens to be Tweeting about it? We should find out on the 12th!

Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/07/breath_of_fire_director_tweet/

*crosses fingers*

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind breath of fire coming back again, I thought it was Capcom's best IP for the RPG genre. I remember Dragon Quarter being a right pain in the ass for my friend because of him dyin when the infection rate hit 100% before he could do anything. Looked quite the hardcore title back in the day if I remember right.

duckroll

ZombieFred said:
I wouldn't mind breath of fire coming back again, I thought it was Capcom's best IP for the RPG genre. I remember Dragon Quarter being a right pain in the ass for my friend because of him dyin when the infection rate hit 100% before he could do anything. Looked quite the hardcore title back in the day if I remember right.

What other notable RPG IPs does Capcom have?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:

I'm going to be very bias here but I've always loved the Dragon concept in JRPGs ever since Panzer Dragoon from Sega when I had the Saturn as a kid, and Breath of fire was the only series that comes to my mind when I think from Capcom because of this former concept, and also how long the series has been running for.

I'm very interested in the last ranker when it comes out over here in Europe, I've gone on a media blackout on the title so I can play it without knowing anything and hopefully be surprised by doing so. I've also played a few of the megaman battle network titles back on the game boy advance when I was much younger so that's the only area I know of Capcom when it comes to any notable IPs Capom has done in the RPG genre. I'm a sucker for dragons <3

EDIT: I could also say that in my head, I always found Resident Evil 5 (and 4 in some regards) to be somewhat of an RPG because of how the upgrade system and stats played in the game for the player. You was always rolling what kind of weapons you wish to use and how you upgraded them over time and how this determined the chance of a critical hit, fire rate, and reload capacity. Combining this with how the enemy AI reacted to you, and then your item management and how tactics was very important to surviving, you can see why it could fit as an RPG hybrid.

And oh crap, I totally forgot about Monster Hunter :lol: For shame!

ZombieFred said:
I'm going to be very bias here but I've always loved the Dragon concept in JRPGs ever since Panzer Dragoon from Sega when I had the Saturn as a kid, and Breath of fire was the only series that comes to my mind when I think from Capcom because of this former concept, and also how long the series has been running for.

I'm very interested in the last ranker when it comes out over here in Europe, I've gone on a media blackout on the title so I can play it without knowing anything and hopefully be surprised by doing so. I've also played a few of the megaman battle network titles back on the game boy advance when I was much younger so that's the only area I know of Capcom when it comes to any notable IPs Capom has done in the RPG genre. I'm a sucker for dragons <3

I wouldn't hold my breath on Last Ranker because we are going on a year since that game's release in Japan. Since my time playing we can only hope or assume this DD will be a RPG attempt of sorts from them to be worldwide. Again I remain skeptical at best.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Shig said:
Aw, I'm sad that listing the Frostbite engine was a mistake by the poster. Japanese devs have barely touched on destructible environments since Space Invaders.

Otogi pretty much wrote the book on environment obliteration.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
duckroll said:

Does Mega Man Legends and Mega Man Battle Network count?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
D2M15 said:
Otogi pretty much wrote the book on environment obliteration.
Eh. There's a more interesting book out now than one about pre-cut styrofoam pieces that disappear before they hit the ground.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
SmithnCo said:
fjihI.jpg

This "sillhouette" looks a bit like a Yian Kut-ku from Monster Hunter:

706953_m_display.jpg

BoF VI: Dragon's Dogma Tard Rush G.

Hmm, looking at that pic it does seem like it's either a cute dragon/gryphon thingy or sort of a logo (kinda like the FF logos) and then there are the dev's statements. Hmm...
I was strictly speaking about "Dargon's Dogma", which is one of the titles in consideration for the game I've seen. It's a grown ass man's game full of mean beasts, lol - no kawaii going on there.
So DD and that website could actually stand for 2 different games.
As I said, it reminded me of Demon's Souls and looked really hot (to me).
It's story-driven, so I'd say it's not a MH-spin-off.
Oh, the main char's name is Glyn - does that tie in into the BoF saga somehow??

Korigama

Phantast2k said:
Oh, the main char's name is Glyn - does that tie in into the BoF saga somehow??

Since the main character in BoF is always named Ryu (with Nina being the only other constant as the heroine), no.

eXistor

I'm not holding my breath for this to be BoF....but if it is? I might just die from excitement. Watch Capcom fuck it up though...

Buzzati

Banned
If it's directed by Makoto Ikehara, then even if it isn't officially Breath of Fire, it still will inevitably share similarities because it comes from the same place.

Hopefully it's more a BOF3 place and not a BOF5 one.

duckroll

Buzzati said:
If it's directed by Makoto Ikehara, then even if it isn't officially Breath of Fire, it still will inevitably share similarities because it comes from the same place.

Ikehara has been involved with non-BoF games over the years, so even if he's working on the game there's no indication he would be directing it. He did scenario work on both Dead Rising and Lost Planet for example. He even co-wrote the live action Dead Rising movie with Inafune.

Twig

Banned
Buzzati said:

As much as I liked BOF3 when I was a kid, I tried replaying it recently, and it just drags on way too fucking long in so many goddamn ways. It's a pretty poorly designed game when you get down to it.

BOF5 is still good, at least.

Twig said:
As much as I liked BOF3 when I was a kid, I tried replaying it recently, and it just drags on way too fucking long in so many goddamn ways. It's a pretty poorly designed game when you get down to it.

BoF3 really didn't age that good? I loved the music on it, and it's style, although the fighting was a bit lackluster. I need to try it again, just can't find where to get it. I thought Ryu was the best in that game too.

TreIII

Part of me worries that even if this BOF, then it likely still won't be any thing close to the BOF3/4 follow-up that people may desire.

When even the likes of Square Enix don't do much in the way of the traditional turn-based RPG any more, what more can be expected from modern-day Capcom in this vein?

The best I'm hoping for now is likely something stylish in the End of Eternity/Resonance of Fate mold. What I'm expecting is likely an attempt at an action-RPG...

Twig

Banned
StickSoldier said:
BoF3 really didn't age that good? I loved the music on it, and it's style, although the fighting was a bit lackluster. I need to try it again, just can't find where to get it. I thought Ryu was the best in that game too.
I don't think it aged well at all. Granted, one of its greatest sins is one that most PS1-era RPGs share - an incredibly unsavory overabundance of random battles. And then there's walking across that dumb desert. I don't know why I ever liked doing that. Oh, the days of ignorant childhood.

I still enjoy the story well enough, but I just couldn't finish it.

Yuterald

I always thought the BoF games just got better with each installment. As much as I love, love, love Dragon Quarter, the PSone BoF games are my favorite, especially BoF IV. The story in BoF IV was just so different from anything else I have ever seen. The dynamics between Fou-Lu and Ryu were incredible, and the cast of characters were varied and had soul & charm, something that is missing from modern RPGs.

Out of all these recent Capcom announcement/teases, this is definitely becoming my most interested.

bubnbob

Banned
Twig said:

Agree on it being tedious, but only up to when you become an adult.

The whole "escape from teh slavers" part is so aghghghgh

B.K.

Yuterald said:
I always thought the BoF games just got better with each installment. As much as I love, love, love Dragon Quarter, the PSone BoF games are my favorite, especially BoF IV. The story in BoF IV was just so different from anything else I have ever seen. The dynamics between Fou-Lu and Ryu were incredible, and the cast of characters were varied and had soul & charm, something that is missing from modern RPGs.

I need to play IV. I bought a copy of it a few years ago and never have played it. It's the only Breath of Fire I haven't played.

Twig said:
I don't think it aged well at all. Granted, one of its greatest sins is one that most PS1-era RPGs share - an incredibly unsavory overabundance of random battles. And then there's walking across that dumb desert. I don't know why I ever liked doing that. Oh, the days of ignorant childhood.

I still enjoy the story well enough, but I just couldn't finish it.

Well thats a shame, I never was a big fan of random battles. I downloaded Wild Arms 1, and holy shit, talk about constant fighting; hell, I don't know how I finished that game in the first place. It was like fight, take a few steps, fight, take a few steps, fight, and so on. I'm hoping if they make a new BoF the remove random battles.

Yuterald

Man, all this retrospective hate on BoF3. =(

BoF III feels like an SNES RPG to me and maybe that's why I like it so much. BoF III still has the best Dragon Gene system out of all of them and how can you hate on Rei and Teepo? These guys are classics! BoF III definitely had some nice ideas for its time. I'm curious to know what other games are making you think BoF III is so horribly dated?

Syril

Yuterald said:
Man, all this retrospective hate on BoF3. =(

BoF III feels like an SNES RPG to me and maybe that's why I like it so much. BoF III still has the best Dragon Gene system out of all of them and how can you hate on Rei and Teepo? These guys are classics! BoF III definitely had some nice ideas for its time. I'm curious to know what other games are making you think BoF III is so horribly dated?

The story and cast aren't what make that game feel dated. It's stuff like the text boxes that only show 10 words at a time, or the slow text speed, or the middling translation effort, or the excessively long attack animations, or how you have to wait like 3 seconds to see if your Flee attempt was successful.

Aeana

Don't worry, I love Breath of Fire 3. I've done a run through of all five games in a row on several occasions, and 3 has a really special place in my heart. It represents the Capcom I love. Come back to me, and bring your bright colors and jazzy music with you. :(

B.K.

The only bad thing about III is that desert area. That was horrible. It's impossible to get through that area without a guide.

Aeana said:
Don't worry, I love Breath of Fire 3. I've done a run through of all five games in a row on several occasions, and 3 has a really special place in my heart. It represents the Capcom I love. Come back to me, and bring your bright colors and jazzy music with you. :(

So true, I find myself listening to BoF3 music on Youtube from time to time. Thats one of the reasons I loved that game.

ezekial45

Banned
Aeana said:
That doesn't sound very good at all, sir.

I beg to differ. I think it could be a pretty cool take on the series.

That's not to say i wouldn't want a game like the older entries in the series though.

Korigama

Aeana said:
That doesn't sound very good at all, sir.

I haven't had the chance to play the series for myself, but I have to agree with that sounding unappealing.

StickSoldier said:
So true, I find myself listening to BoF3 music on Youtube from time to time. Thats one of the reasons I loved that game.

The boss battle theme caught my attention after trying this for myself recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q6ceQ8DG3U

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom