• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch Company Claims it Owns No Man's Sky World Generation Formula [they don't]

With a quick look, it appears that the superformula is already used in applications out there including GNU ones?

Wouldn't Genicap have to explain why they did not go after every single application (free or not) of the superformula out there before getting on Hello Games' case ?(hence why companies often defend their IP even in the case of fan art/ nonprofit use).

This is an idea behind Trademarks, not patents.

Not to call you out specifically, but there's a lot of Jr. detective work going on in this thread in regard to patent law. This is one of those areas where the complexity is great enough that people probably shouldn't be doing "quick googles" to explain how all this works.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's dubious about seeking to enforce a patent you own on a thing you invented?

They are not seeking to 'enforce', otherwise they would go through the legal process.

They appear to want to sneak a look at Hello Game's code, because they supposedly are developing a game as well.

Like someone said, they are hoping for 'tit for tat'.

It may be altered so much that it is not resembling their patent anymore for all we know.

Even if it is not patent-able, it could be considered a trade secret and violation by means of unfair competition or practice. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about either areas of law.

Here is an example of a US statute on the subject. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1832

(a) Whoever, with intent to convert a trade secret, that is related to a product or service used in or intended for use in interstate or foreign commerce, to the economic benefit of anyone other than the owner thereof, and intending or knowing that the offense will, injure any owner of that trade secret, knowingly—
(1) steals, or without authorization appropriates, takes, carries away, or conceals, or by fraud, artifice, or deception obtains such information;
(2) without authorization copies, duplicates, sketches, draws, photographs, downloads, uploads, alters, destroys, photocopies, replicates, transmits, delivers, sends, mails, communicates, or conveys such information;
(3) receives, buys, or possesses such information, knowing the same to have been stolen or appropriated, obtained, or converted without authorization;
(4) attempts to commit any offense described in paragraphs (1) through (3); or
(5) conspires with one or more other persons to commit any offense described in paragraphs (1) through (3), and one or more of such persons do any act to effect the object of the conspiracy,
shall, except as provided in subsection (b), be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both.
(b) Any organization that commits any offense described in subsection (a) shall be fined not more than $5,000,000.

ps3ud0

In hindsight you kinda wish you never said things like 'super formula' and the like. The patents system is obviously broken, but thats the rules you have be aware of...

ps3ud0 8)

Even if it is not patent-able, it could be considered a trade secret and violation by means of unfair competition or practice. I'm not particularly knowledgeable about either areas of law.

Here is an example of a US statute on the subject. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1832

Is it a secret if it's published?

Trade secrets != patents. Trade secrets means no one knows what you're doing and it's therefore protected from someone literally trying to steal the information from you if you're protecting it. Patents are public and give you an exclusive right to use something for a period of time. Something public cannot be a trade secret.

What do you mean by published? Like implemented into a game's code? I dunno.

Publishing the game doesn't necessarily mean you lose the trade secret IF you're protecting the information being used therein with enough effort. If the code is just in a text file, then no Trade Secret. If you have to break multiple levels of security, you may be in trouble. That said, I'm not well read and all the precedent here, so maybe in some locations, publishing software has been found to break the claim regardless.

It's like Coke's formula. It's a trade secret and remains despite the fact that you could chemically analyze the constituent parts of the drink and try to replicate it. Doing that still wouldn't give you the formula. Breaking into their lab would though, and you'd have trade secret laws to get you additional restitution for lost sales beyond the actual crime of theft.

Handy Fake

Trade secrets != patents. Trade secrets means no one knows what you're doing and it's therefore protected from someone literally trying to steal the information from you if you're protecting it. Patents are public and give you an exclusive right to use something for a period of time. Something public cannot be a trade secret.

http://www.amjbot.org/content/90/3/333.full

Was submitted and published in The American Journal of Botany.

I know a little bit about trade secrets and I know that statement is not entirely true.

(3) the term “trade secret” means all forms and types of financial, business, scientific, technical, economic, or engineering information, including patterns, plans, compilations, program devices, formulas, designs, prototypes, methods, techniques, processes, procedures, programs, or codes, whether tangible or intangible, and whether or how stored, compiled, or memorialized physically, electronically, graphically, photographically, or in writing if—
(A) the owner thereof has taken reasonable measures to keep such information secret; and
(B) the information derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable through proper means by, the public; and
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1839

There is no requirement the information not be public. Imagine someone just revealing the trade secret and arguing it is no longer a secret any longer therefore he did not steal a trade secret.

This says they only need take reasonable measures to keep the information secret.

Wulfram

They are not seeking to 'enforce', otherwise they would go through the legal process.

They appear to want to sneak a look at Hello Game's code, because they supposedly are developing a game as well.

Like someone said, they are hoping for 'tit for tat'.

It may be altered so much that it is not resembling their patent anymore for all we know.

They appear to be trying to approach in a friendly manner, in order to negotiate a license, rather than immediately reaching for the lawyers and shutting things down. I don't think this is unreasonable

Maybe their patent doesn't apply, I'm certainly no lawyer, but when the developers have made it clear that the guy's work is pretty important to a central part of their game, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they'd be entitled to some money.

http://www.amjbot.org/content/90/3/333.full

Was submitted and published in The American Journal of Botany.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to read the paper as to how that relates. Perhaps you could offer a tldr? I'm interested.

I know a little bit about trade secrets and I know that statement is not entirely true.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1839

There is no requirement the information not be public. Imagine someone just revealing the trade secret and arguing it is no longer a secret any longer therefore he did not steal a trade secret.

This says they only need take reasonable measures to keep the information secret.

What you've described backs up exactly what I said. You need to reasonably protect it to have a trade secret, but bringing a claim is about restitution when someone takes it unlawfully from you.

But that's just it; once it's out, the trade secret it gone. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle. You do get to sue the person that released the information in the first place though. But the information is out, so you can't keep enforcing your trade secret on anyone who tries to use it because it's no longer hidden. And if it was never actually public to the point where you could keep protecting it, your restitution for the original claim is likely going to be very limited.

Edit: Going back to work now, but I'll chime back in later if I can add anything meaningful.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to read the paper as to how that relates. Perhaps you could offer a tldr? I'm interested.

That link is a published article by Johan Gielis where he talks about the superformula and even shows exactly what the formula is, as well as describes how it works and how he came up with it.

ps3ud0

They appear to be trying to approach in a friendly manner, in order to negotiate a license, rather than immediately reaching for the lawyers and shutting things down. I don't think this is unreasonable

Maybe their patent doesn't apply, I'm certainly no lawyer, but when the developers have made it clear that the guy's work is pretty important to a central part of their game, it doesn't seem unreasonable that they'd be entitled to some money.
Think you are being a bit naive, no one wants to shut anything down as that makes no one money. Genicap want to license it either as a mutual agreement/contract or via the courts.

EDIT: Sorry that comes over dismissive, Im just saying that the nicely-nicely approach is the normal stance in these kinds of negotiations.

ps3ud0 8)

That link is a published article by Johan Gielis where he talks about the superformula and even shows exactly what the formula is, as well as describes how it works and how he came up with it.

Got it. Weren't people saying this is a patent claim though? Therefore the trade secret requirements don't apply. Further, patents require public disclosure, so they necessarily have to be different things.

Handy Fake

Alas I'm supposed to be working, the most I can offer is Google trawling and a line in pithy comments, with the odd meme thrown in. ;)

Cheers m'dear.

daveo42

Banned
Got it. Weren't people saying this is a patent claim though? Therefore the trade secret requirements don't apply. Further, patents require public disclosure, so they necessarily have to be different things.

Patent claim is on the use of the formula in a graphical medium, not a patent on the formula itself.

Raven77

Wait so they are claiming that he used their super formula.

He confirmed in an interview in February that he used "the super formula"...

So, did he use it without their permission or didn't he???

What you've described backs up exactly what I said. You need to reasonably protect it to have a trade secret, but bringing a claim is about restitution when someone takes it unlawfully from you.

But that's just it; once it's out, the trade secret it gone. There's no putting the genie back in the bottle. You do get to sue the person that released the information in the first place though. But the information is out, so you can't keep enforcing your trade secret on anyone who tries to use it because it's no longer hidden. And if it was never actually public to the point where you could keep protecting it, your restitution for the original claim is likely going to be very limited.

Edit: Going back to work now, but I'll chime back in later if I can add anything meaningful.

I think there is a distinction between something publicly available and readily known to the public. For example, a game is out in the public but the game's code is not necessarily readily known to the public. In other words, even though you could reverse engineer a released game, it's still potentially covered by trade secret laws.

Wereroku

Wait so they are claiming that he used their super formula.

He confirmed in an interview in February that he used "the super formula"...

So, did he use it without their permission or didn't he???

Well you see the super formula is basically describing a natural phenomenon. It seems most countries don't allow ownership of a mathematical formula so as far as him using the formula there isn't really an ethical problem. The problem comes from whether the company is allowed to patent the process of using the formula in various fashions. Clearly this company believes they do have that right since they have applications in for various uses one of which is entertainment uses. So no he didn't get permission because he probably didn't realize he needed to.

One of the most incorrect things I've read.

Either way, if they do own the formula, then No Man, No Sky.
In the United States soft math (math that is impossible to do via "the functions of the mind", IE can only be done on a computer) cannot be patented or otherwise owned. It's in essence a part of nature. The sake way a biologist can't own a new species of worm he or she discovers, one cannot own a new math formula. So if this is challenged in a US Court the Dutch company will likely lose.

Math is different. Math is a part of nature. A filmmaker doesn't owe a biologist money because he used the animal that the biologist discovered as the center of a film. Same applies to math. The Superformula is a derivative of the superellipse, a formula from the early 19th century that describes shapes thay exist in nature.

Handy Fake

In the United States soft math (math that is impossible to do via "the functions of the mind", IE can only be done on a computer) cannot be patented or otherwise owned. It's in essence a part of nature. The sake way a biologist can't own a new species of worm he or she discovers, one cannot own a new math formula. So if this is challenged in a US Court the Dutch company will likely lose.

Math is different. Math is a part of nature. A filmmaker doesn't owe a biologist money because he used the animal that the biologist discovered as the center of a film. Same applies to math. The Superformula is a derivative of the superellipse, a formula from the early 19th century that describes shapes thay exist in nature.

Related to Mandelbrot?

I think there is a distinction between something publicly available and readily known to the public. For example, a game is out in the public but the game's code is not necessarily readily known to the public. In other words, even though you could reverse engineer a released game, it's still potentially covered by trade secret laws.

See what I said above. I said that very thing. We're in agreement on this point.

Kamina

Golden Boy
OK, but where is this backed? I don't see anything indicating that they don't own the [idea of using] the algorithm . Is this just about the technicality that you cannot patent the algorithm itself? Because that't quite picky and a bit unfair against the Dutch company.

@Handy Fake: I don't think it's applicable, we'd need Dutch law here, no?
You can own the idea of using something? So I can file a patent of the idea of using a toilet so you cant use it anymore? Where do I file that, i want to sue someone?

I see now. You seemed to be saying that if it is public then it can't be a trade secret but I had missed one of your earlier posts.

It's cool. Like I said, this stuff is complicated and has a lot of levels to it. I guarantee there's case law out there that would thrown additional interesting/frustrating curves at my explanation as well. I can only offer what I learned in law school and work experience thereafter. It's certainly an incomplete picture even with that background (Dutch patent law for example is a blind spot).

Handy Fake

Can I just say, as shitty as the whole situation is, I'm thoroughly enjoying this debate.

Carry on chaps and chapettes.

You can own the idea of using something? So I can file a patent of the idea of using a toilet so you cant use it anymore? Where do I file that, i want to sue someone?
Maybe not that extreme, but there have been cases of some ridiculous patents where someone patented the idea of something and sometimes even just a single word and actually managed to legally enforce it and get some money out of it. Patent law is a joke. Case in point Hello Games already had to settle for using the word Sky in their title, since you know the word Sky is patented by Sky TV or something.

Is patent law unified in the E.U., or is this solely a claim in the Netherlands?

I really don't understand the intricacies or know Dutch patent law at all, but there is so much prior art with the use of the superformula in computer graphics.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Leave NMS alone!! Seriously. Everyone trying to get a piece of the pie.

Wonder what a procedurally generated pie would taste like?

It can be either horrible, or the best damned thing one would have ever tasted.

Is patent law unified in the E.U., or is this solely a claim in the Netherlands?

I really don't understand the intricacies or know Dutch patent law at all, but there is so much prior art with the use of the superformula in computer graphics.

Well, it would not matter at this point, the Brexit and all, lol.

Landford

Banned
Would be really shitty if this delays the game even further. Sean looked like the whole team was crushing very hard on his last appearances in the media.

ClearData

If Genicap has a valid patent then it would make sense if they pursued some kind of negotiation before enforcement. But if I am following this thread correctly mathematical formulas and the programs derived from them are not patentable under law. It seems Genicap is interested in No Man's Sky's implementation of the super formula because they have a commercial interest in developing their own game, which makes their intent questionable. The timeline also feels odd. Murray commented on the use of the formula in February. With the game having gone gold and set to release in a few weeks then Genicap goes public with their requests? Are they trying to pressure the developers for the source code now that the game is complete and the programming more readily duplicable? At a time when release in imminent and legal delay could be ruinous for Hello Games.

Being part of silicon valley, I have personally experienced blanket troll patents and the nuisance they cause. Unfortunately, that's what our lawyers do too to protect our products and write patents in ambiguous language to cover as much as possible.

I seriously hope this is resolved soon and game is not delayed any more. Hopefully these guys are not trolls and just want some sort of acknowledgement/licensing agreement.

If Genicap has a valid patent then it would make sense if they pursued some kind of negotiation before enforcement. But if I am following this thread correctly mathematical formulas and the programs derived from them are not patentable under law. It seems Genicap is interested in No Man's Sky's implementation of the super formula because they have a commercial interest in developing their own game, which makes their intent questionable. The timeline also feels odd. Murray commented on the use of the formula in February. With the game having gone gold and set to release in a few weeks then Genicap goes public with their requests? Are they trying to pressure the developers for the source code now that the game is complete and the programming more readily duplicable? At a time when release in imminent and legal delay could be ruinous for Hello Games.
I'm not knowledgeable enough on EU law to know for sure, but the absolute most Genicap could do is get an injunction for release in the EU, likely only the Netherlands. But they likely wouldn't be able to get it in time anyway and they risk their patent by taking HG to court.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
This claim would have had a touch more legitimacy if they hadn't decided to wait until weeks before launch to make it. It's not like this game has been hidden for the last 3 years.

Calabi

It does seem kind of dumb that Hello games admitted to using the formula. Whether or not its legitimate and a bullshit patent, the evidence is pretty damning. Surely it should be an unwritten rule "never admit to using something of someone else's creation" especially in our litigious environment.

Sean Murray confirmed in an interview with Business Insider in February that the planetary system was generated by the superformula. Sparrow denies that any contact occured with the two companies. "We are in the process of creating a game based on the superformula. It would be great if we could trade knowledge with Hello Games. We tried to contact them but didn't get any response."

Can anyone find this interview? I did a quick google, I couldn't find any interview with Sean Murray and Business Insider, let alone a specific interview from Feb 2016.

It does seem kind of dumb that Hello games admitted to using the formula. Whether or not its legitimate and a bullshit patent, the evidence is pretty damning. Surely it should be an unwritten rule "never admit to using something of someone else's creation" especially in our litigious environment.
Except it's not a creation. It's a discovery. Hello Games had no reason to assume that anyone attempted to patent it. It's like if a filmmaker made a movie centered around a newly discovered species of bird. The person who discovered this new bird isn't entitled to anything from the filmmaker and can't own that bird.

The Superformula is a derivative of an existing formula that is a mathematical model of naturally formed shapes. As such it shouldn't be able to be patented in the first place.

Wulfram

This claim would have had a touch more legitimacy if they hadn't decided to wait until weeks before launch to make it. It's not like this game has been hidden for the last 3 years.

The fact that they're using the Superformula doesn't seem to have been public until relatively recently. And they do say they have been trying to contact Hello games directly, we don't know when they started.

Or possibly they may have been waiting until their most directly relevant patent - one about "generating naturalistic scenery on an amusement device" - got approved in the US, which happened in April. Its probably worth mentioning that that patent seems to have only been filed after NMS was announced, though they have earlier more general ones.

Top Bottom