• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dutch Company Claims it Owns No Man's Sky World Generation Formula [they don't]

wiibomb

Genicap is that guy's company.

You can't patent a formula, but apparently you can patent applications of a formula.

Anyway, these are the patents he's filed

http://patents.justia.com/inventor/johan-gielis

as I understood from one of the informatic law courses I had in college, a program can be patented, a mathematical algorithm can't, BUT you can patent an idea, and that's exactly what they did, they patented the idea of using the algorithm in a program.

This is intriguing

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting but I wonder if this will come down to technicalities. NMS seems to have been using the formula before the file date. Could that have some effect on the companies ability to patent it?

From what I understand in the US... if someone beats you to a patent and you never disputed before it was 'granted', you are assed out. Unless you have deep pockets and a good lawyer.

If you both file around the same time, or dispute the patent during it's file period (meaning before it is granted), and prove you have been working on it first, then you can have opportunity to seize it.

Horizon looks great but this is a really disappointing move from Guerilla.

UYx8iPwqJolOqS5CA7MI-_H8ibIaLhxlXTeqK0vMPrEQxRnNxfS3W-IL0a6SlCXWLP_XE3RLE_99r3Li94lqmNow7QB0OOZ42DSMbKg0r6Vi0mU4n_rJBtirkR7jsLqB-twy5XS-I8ZcsTW4NjH3REgi2bQ=w506-h281

Wereroku

as I understood from one of the informatic law courses I had in college, a program can be patented, a mathematical algorithm can't, BUT you can patent an idea, and that's exactly what they did, they patented the idea of using the algorithm in a program.

This is intriguing

So they aren't patenting the formula they are patenting the idea of using the formula in an entertainment program. That is basically the exact same thing how could that be approved?

datwr

I'm on my phone and patents are a pain to read.
But it seems like he patented the use of the SUPERFORMULA(tm) to basically create graphics in any form. Back in 2004.

SkylineRKR

Ruzie, lol. Fighting.

Last 2 paragraphs:

... Sean Murray confirmed to Business Insider that its planetary system is based on the superformula. Sparrow denies that both companies had been in contact 'we are working on a game formula based on the superformula ourselves'. It'd be great if we could share our knowledge with Hello Games. We've tried to get into touch with them but didn't get any reaction.

According to IT-Lawyer Arnoud Engelfriet this ordeal could become an issue for Sony. "If they did break any patents, then they have to pay a fine and distribution has to be halted". Sony doesn't want respond on the matter.

Ah, they have been done already. Anyway, this sounds like another patent troll that tries to act as if they don't want to cause any problems but still.

I wonder if this will lead to another delay due to litigation...

Why are they complaining about this now, like 3 weeks away from release, while they could have easily filed a lawsuit when the game was revealed. Isn't there something like a statute of limitations on these kind of claims?

Wereroku

I wonder if this will lead to another delay due to litigation...

Why are they complaining about this now, like 3 weeks away from release, while they could have easily filed a lawsuit when the game was revealed. Isn't there something like a statute of limitations on these kind of claims?

Sean Murray didn't confirm they were using the formula until late 2015. The company claims the have been attempting to talk to them. So it's not all of a sudden.

wiibomb

So they aren't patenting the formula they are patenting the idea of using the formula in an entertainment program. That is basically the exact same thing how could that be approved?

but that's exactly what patents are used for, to protect ideas, that is why Nintendo is always patenting new crazy controller ideas, not because they are making it, but just to protect their idea for the future usage.

This applies to programs as well, you can use that algorithm in.. I don't know... machine generated toys in a factory? but you can't in a program, because they patented that idea already.

these are the technicalities of the patents, doesn't mean this will get anywhere, but it can work like that

Carn82

Telegraaf is probably the closest thing we have to the Daily Mail/The Sun, it's pretty bad. Story screams patent trolling.

Sean Murray didn't confirm they were using the formula until late 2015. The company claims the have been attempting to talk to them. So it's not all of a sudden.
The Superformula is based on the superellipse, a formula from the early 19th century. Gielis shouldn't have been able to patent it in the first place, especially since it describes a natural phenomenon and isn't an invention.

Wereroku

Ah, that makes sense. But still, why is this story public now and not ages ago?

Patent holding companies tend to go to the press before the courts in an attempt to just get licensing since courts can occasionally go in completely random directions. If this goes to court they could just as likely end up with their application invalidated then they could having it upheld.

Probably bigger chance of getting compensated because the release is around the corner. Less time to build a case.

I doubt Genicap's Science Department are making these claims just to catch a quick buck.

It sounds like they are genuinely interested in how Hello Games created their game. They also mention that they do not want to harm the release of the game, or the company creating it.

They just want to know which formula they used, how they used it and what they accomplished.

Patent holding companies tend to go to the press before the courts in an attempt to just get licensing since courts can occasionally go in completely random directions. If this goes to court they could just as likely end up with their application invalidated then they could having it upheld.

I detest the thought of mathematical formulas being patented, so hopefully if it goes to court this is exactly what happens. (emphasis is mine)

Carn82

I doubt Genicap's Science Department are making these claims just to catch a quick buck.

It sounds like they are genuinely interested in how Hello Games created their game. They also mention that they do not want to harm the release of the game, or the company creating it.

They just want to know which formula they used, how they used it and what they accomplished.

You'll have to sell your soul to Satan, stop sleeping and grow a beard, judging by Sean Murray's end-of-crunch looks.

Wereroku

I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted access to the source code instead of licensing funds.

SkylineRKR

It could be typical Telegraaf clickbait and the paper might've asked a lawyer afterwards themselves about infringements and he answers accordingly. Thus you get an article with guys saying they are working on the same shit, and a guy who says this might fuck up the release of NMS. Article done.

JP

I can't imagine they'd really want this to reach the courts, I'd assume that they currently own an unchallenged patent but understand that there's a high chance of it just getting torn up as soon as the courts get hold of it.

It's not that unusual for companies like the one doing this to try and scare smaller companies with claims like this and hope that they get something, anything out of them. Hello Games are probably right to just not acknowledge these people, if they really want to spend money on dealing with this in the courts and risk losing their patent, let them do it.

Costia

I can't imagine they'd really want this to reach the courts, I'd assume that they currently own an unchallenged patent but understand that there's a high chance of it just getting torn up as soon as the courts get hold of it.

It's not that unusual for companies like the one doing this to try and scare smaller companies with claims like this and hope that they get something, anything out of them. Hello Games are probably right to just not acknowledge these people, if they really want to spend money on dealing with this in the courts and risk losing their patent, let them do it.

The dutch are the smaller company in this case. NMS is a 60$ AAA game backed by sony.

Costia

It's lucky that I didn't suggest anything that contradicts that then, isn't it?
Sorry then. I thought that when you wrote:
"It's not that unusual for companies like the one doing this to try and scare smaller companies with claims like this and hope that they get something,"
you meant Hello games (who are now backed by sony ) and not the dutch company.

Handy Fake

Quick Goggle, dunno if this is applicable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patents_under_United_Kingdom_patent_law

"Substantive law

Although it is an implicit requirement of Section 1(1) of the UK Patent Act (1977) that patents should only be granted for inventions, "invention" is not defined anywhere in the Act.

Instead, Section 1(2) Patents Act provides a non-exhaustive list of "things" that are not treated as inventions. Included in this list is "a program for a computer". However these things are only prevented from being treated as inventions "to the extent that a patent or application for a patent relates to that thing as such".

Article 52(2) of the European Patent Convention (EPC)[2] includes a slightly different list of non-inventions, although "programs for computers" are present. Article 52(3) EPC then states that patentability for the identified subject matter or activities is excluded "only to the extent to which a European patent application or European patent relates to such subject-matter or activities as such".

The wording of the Patents Act is slightly different from Article 52 EPC, but the UK Courts have taken the view that since the purpose of Section 1 of the Patents Act was to transpose the requirements of Article 52 EPC into UK law, any differences between the EPC and the Patents Act should be ignored. The text of the EPC itself should therefore be regarded as definitive.

Other things that are not regarded as inventions include mathematical methods, and schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games or doing business. These additional excluded categories often overlap with the exclusion of computer programs since they may be put into practice using a computer."

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
A mod put it there.

OK, but where is this backed? I don't see anything indicating that they don't own the [idea of using] the algorithm. Is this just about the technicality that you cannot patent the algorithm itself? Because that't quite picky and a bit unfair against the Dutch company.

@Handy Fake: I don't think it's applicable, we'd need Dutch law here, no?

JP

Sorry then. I thouht that when you wrote:
"It's not that unusual for companies like the one doing this to try and scare smaller companies with claims like this and hope that they get something,"
you meant Hello games (who are now backed by sony ) and not the dutch company.
Yes, I stated that it's not unusual for this to happen to smaller companies. Although it's not an absolute term, Hello Games is the definition of a "smaller company". They're not even close to being classed as an SME in relation of annual revenue or number of employees.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OK, but where is this backed? I don't see anything indicating that they don't own the [idea of using] the algorithm. Is this just about the technicality that you cannot patent the algorithm itself? Because that't quite picky and a bit unfair against the Dutch company.

I have no clue. I would like an explanation for the reasoning as well. Mainly to shed light if said person is in the know of something we do not.

Quick Goggle, dunno if this is applicable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patents_under_United_Kingdom_patent_law

"Substantive law

Although it is an implicit requirement of Section 1(1) of the UK Patent Act (1977) that patents should only be granted for inventions, "invention" is not defined anywhere in the Act.

Instead, Section 1(2) Patents Act provides a non-exhaustive list of "things" that are not treated as inventions. Included in this list is "a program for a computer". However these things are only prevented from being treated as inventions "to the extent that a patent or application for a patent relates to that thing as such".

Article 52(2) of the European Patent Convention (EPC)[2] includes a slightly different list of non-inventions, although "programs for computers" are present. Article 52(3) EPC then states that patentability for the identified subject matter or activities is excluded "only to the extent to which a European patent application or European patent relates to such subject-matter or activities as such".

The wording of the Patents Act is slightly different from Article 52 EPC, but the UK Courts have taken the view that since the purpose of Section 1 of the Patents Act was to transpose the requirements of Article 52 EPC into UK law, any differences between the EPC and the Patents Act should be ignored. The text of the EPC itself should therefore be regarded as definitive.

Other things that are not regarded as inventions include mathematical methods, and schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games or doing business. These additional excluded categories often overlap with the exclusion of computer programs since they may be put into practice using a computer."
Apparently they circumvented this by not patenting the algorithm itself, but the idea of using this algorithm in an application.

Costia

Yes, I stated that it's not unusual for this to happen to smaller companies. Although it's not an absolute term, Hello Games is the definition of a "smaller company". They're not even close to being classed as an SME in relation of annual revenue or number of employees.
When Hello games were on their own, I would agree with you. But now they have sony's support, so as far as I am concerned they aren't a small indie team anymore.

@Handy Fake: I don't think it's applicable, we'd need Dutch law here, no?
Why would Dutch law apply anywhere outside the Netherlands?

Costia

I'm confused at how they can assert that they own the algorithm without knowing the source code?
The algortihn generates shapes. Probably very distinct shapes.
It is possible they found a lot of the shapes they saw in NMS to be identical to what their formula generates.

JP

When Hello games were on their own, I would agree with you. But now they have sony's support, so as far as I am concerned they aren't a small indie team anymore.
That's not how stuff works in relation to what class of business they are. :)

Also, I'd love to know where you're getting the information that Sony would have any say in a third party's compliance law? Seriously, I'd love to know where you're getting that information.

diaspora

Sony is marketing and distributing the PS4 sku of the game, people are making their involvement seem like it's more than what it is.

Top Bottom