• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Video Interview with Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Writer Josh Scherr

I actually don't think much if that comment considering ND's general output and consideration for diversity, but I always see the above poster mentioning it over and over

Don't want to go into too much detail about why what he said matters, but here are some more concrete issues, based on what we've seen so far: http://thetimeliners.com/uncharted-lost-legacy-set-india—-really-strange-version-india

More recently, some encouraging signs that they are taking these issues seriously (from Game Informer again):
[...]

*Stories of Hindu gods run parallel for Chloe's trials, illustrating the lessons she's learned. Hindu gods and goddesses, the Hoysala Empire. Unlike other uncharteds, this is a story about the region, religion and philosophy...

ND is taking the approach of the subject matter so seriously they went so far to cast actual Tamil insurgents, not actors from an agency. Some of the gameplay had inaccurate language and references such as restaurant signs and they corrected it immediately. They are talking to historians, locals, priests, to have this as authentic as possible

[...]

EDIT:
...Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying is a bad thing to pick on...
Don't want to derail the thread any further (I meant to simply answer your question as briefly as possible, in a single line of text), as it's probably already clear why the "weird" comment was problematic and could potentially serve as evidence of a problematic mentality that could in turn potentially have more widespread implications within a game that we have not yet seen.

I posted this link only to further substantiate the claim that there is indeed at least some reason for concern, in that they have gotten at least a few things wrong based on what little has been shown, and that it is therefore worthwhile to express concern to help to ensure the proper level of attention/seriousness is devoted to these issues (given that we won't be in a position to review the game in its entirety until it's released) and to thereby help ensure there won't be any deep/widespread problems in the final release.

Moreover, even in my original single-line post in this thread, I linked (it's the fourth link) to what I noted above are 'encouraging signs' that they are indeed taking these issues seriously, which I was quite glad to see.

Don't want to go into too much detail about why what he said matters, but here are some more concrete issues, based on what we've seen so far: http://thetimeliners.com/uncharted-lost-legacy-set-india—-really-strange-version-india

More recently, some encouraging signs that they are taking these issues seriously (from Game Informer again):

Yeah... no, that's a level of scrutiny most award winning movies based on real events wouldn't pass, let alone an adventure one. Reminds me of a letter sent to Roland Emmerich about the innacurate military suits portrayed in Independence Day and he was like "that's what you got from the movie?".
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying is a bad thing to pick on, but I wouldn't put too much weight on it, they use different things that consider "cool" to tell a story and I bet they'll do their best to not disrespect the culture even if naively end up doing it.
I'm argentinian and I roll my eyes every time my country or personalities are named in some american movies, it'd bad (specially everything surrounding Che Guevara), but in the end stories are not about historical accuracy.

I even wonder if that demo will be on the game, looked like a deception to the audience in PSX.

Top Bottom